Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cheaper than a Taxi!  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Rudolf Hucka

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Cheaper than a Taxi!
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
The other night I decided I needed some exercise, so when the 3am curfew came I made the decision to walk home-I couldn''t afford another mortgage payment on a taxi-so having been re-fuelled at YachtPoint and ''Boom Boomed'' out of there I set off UP THE HILL!!!!  Madness I can hear you saying, but all commonsense had deserted me and I was determined not to be beaten.  Taxis passed me by, gloating, but I had a cunning plan.  The oxygen tanks I had stashed half-way up THE HILL came into their own and I plodded on, however they were becoming slightly heavy(I had 6 as I knew I would need them), in fact they were really heavy so I had to engage a Sherpa Guide for the rest of the journey.
The cost for this was less than a taxi so I thought it was a bargain and we carried on.  We pitched our base camp just outside Cati restaurant and after collecting grappling irons, ropes, ice picks and more Raki we started the ascent.  The air was beginning to thin as we passed the Jandarma, but undaunted we carried on.  The pace was slowing now, due to the death of one of the donkeys, but we continued upwards towards the Samira De Luxe- this was our half way point!!  The Sherpa argued that he needed another 2 lire or he wouldn''t carry me anymore! 
Anyway, I paid up-still cheaper than a taxi-because he assued me that when he climbed Everest it was easier than hauling me up the mountain, plus I was enjoying his stories.  We reached my house-it must have taken 2 days as I distinctly remember leaving YachtPoint on Tuesday morning and It was now Thursday!
I would recommend him to you but the last time I saw him he was running quickly down the mountain pursued by 3 yellow taxis and as far as I know they took one of his Llamas(the pretty one!) and they were holding this until he paid a ransom.
I am thinking of doing this climb again soon, it would of course be at night after I leave YachtPoint so you would need to bring your own night vision glasses-sunglasses will not do- and you must bring your own donkey.  I can be found at YachtPoint should you decide to join me!  Cheers

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1936.0

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Cheaper than a Taxi!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
Very good.
Enjoyed that Rudolf
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
Got back from two weeks overeating and drinking in Kalkan early this morning. But walking up the hill every night, I''ve lost three pounds in weight.

Offline Rudolf Hucka

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
A ski lift would work well on that hill!  What a way to get up it!!!

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11:16 PM »
Well done Rudolf-a brave attempt and I salute you sir, but I myself also had a cunning plan-coincidentally I too had been at Yacht Point! My plan involved some street dogs, a skateboard and some rope!  Hector the Setter was easily bribed with some left over fillet steak from Aubergine and Tina the Huskie was the obvious candidate for lead dog!  All was going well and we began to climb the hill, but then disaster struck. That flipping Dalmatian came running down chasing a cat and my two trusty hounds decided to follow-the rest as they say is history. I suffered severe bruising and a sprained ankle and I also spilt my drink.  I then had to get a taxi home! I shall look for you in Yacht Point as I think we could make a good team, maybe we can organise another attempt?   Please bear in mind that I have already tried those JetPacks that Linda from Abi travel sells(but only to selected customers) and I got into difficulty when I flew past the Asfiya and realised I did not have any way to stop. I ended up at the beach club tangled in one of their umbrellas and my dentures shot out into Kalamar bay. My wife has threatened to leave me if I do anything like that again so all being well I shall be available from beginning of August as she will be away then! 

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
The first climb was an ordeal, but I dug deep and called upon my inner strength - something I had learned years ago during my time in Tibet. After the first two days I was marching up and down the hill three or four times a day, sometimes carrying several days groceries and a couple of big plastic bottles of water.

Back home I''ve been given the nickname "thunder thighs". No joking, I can crack open a peanut between my knees.

On a more sobering note, on returning to England I''m still struggling to acclimatise - not so much the 20 degrees drop in temperature but the lack of "steepness". I''ll be visiting Ben Nevis this weekend with a weekly shop from Tesco to see if that does the trick.

Offline Mustafa Raki

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
A word of caution my friend, whatever you do don''t take the trolley with you on your jaunt-the wheels lock when you take them out of the supermarket car park! I had a nasty experience this evening as I was walking past the Jandarma.  I was taking my neighbour''s dog-a small creature, hairy but nice-out for a stroll when I passed the Jandarma.  I noticed they have erected a barrier across the entrance so I tied the dog to the barrier while I went inside.  I came out 2 minutes later to find that they had raised the barrier and the dog was now 16ft in the air!  Needless to say it could not bark and it hasn''t barked since!   My neighbour is now not talking to me, and the dog runs away when it sees me coming. I''m off for a stroll the night is still young!

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »
 ;D Love it...you make me laugh so much...... I miss being in Kalkan.England is soooo boring at the moment,and 2009 seems so far away. ::)Chris

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Is it cheaper?

Started by Honey on The Everything Else Area!

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:10:29 PM
by Mrs Enjoy Kalkan
xx
taxi strike

Started by kalkankiki on Flights and Travel

26 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 08:34:28 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Kalkan taxi

Started by alisa_wonder on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 06:11:13 PM
by DRBD
xx
Taxi Dispute

Started by Annie on Flights and Travel

136 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 05:58:05 AM
by kalcamp

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal