Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Cats....  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Cats....
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
Misty old bean......you may want to revisit the photo gallery where you can be seen fussing a rather fetching little cat ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »
Misty old bean......you may want to revisit the photo gallery where you can be seen fussing a rather fetching little cat ;D ;D

Thats Missy the villa cat such a sweetheart would sit on my lap at breakfast and love being fussed....oh no busted   :angel: :angel: :angel:

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Just to revive this thread a little: if you have not seen the Dog's Diary/Cat's Diary spoof, you may find it amusing - makes me laugh every time:

http://freefunnyjokes.blogspot.com/2007/04/dog-and-cats-diary-joke.html

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
Quote from Wally.
Cats live the life of a nomad, they hunt & survive. Darwin contributes his theories to the 'art of survival' the strongest survive. Cats & other hunters kill the weakest so they to can survive.

Sorry Wally but you are wrong, let me tell you why?
To make my point let’s take a small mammal the “Pine Martin” this is indigenous to this area and compares it with a domesticated cat:
Most domesticated cats which are owned by the ever increasing number of villa owners are fed a diet of high protein cat food and only hunt birds and small mammals because of their natural instinct, not out of a need to survive.
The Pine Martin (A small mammal about the size of a small cat) only survives in the wild on what it can catch and its numbers fluctuate naturally according to the available food supply and its ability to avoid predators.
The domesticated cat when injured or taken sick is in many cases treated by a vet and survives beyond what would be its natural life span in the wild.
When did you last see a villa owner taking a sick Pine Martin to the vet: unlike the domesticated cat they just die?
To control the number of cats that breed easily we are forced to neuter them.
The pine Martin population is controlled in the wild by a combination of the available food supply and  by its natural predator the fox which is both a predator of pine martens and a competitor for its food sources.
The domestic cat has no such predator and because of human intervention it survives far longer than a wild cat.     
Your other statement was that domesticated cats have been around for 4,500 years.
4500 years ago Noah came out of the Ark and as the Bible states he only had two cats with him. Not much of a threat at the time do you not agree?
I don’t have figures for Turkey but in the UK there are 9 million cats who according to a recent survey it is estimated kill 50 million Birds per year and numerous small mammals.
With people treating the cats and dogs of Kalkan as an extension of their soft toy collection I know my views fall on deaf ears. All I can say is god help the truly wild animals and birds of Kalkan!
Buster.
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline timeless

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
How many of you you Bird loving/ cat hating people actually feed your bird population?  Or is the mess to much for you?

How many people here knock down the swallows nests because of the mess?

How many of you plant your gardens to attract birds, bees and insects?

We have cats and a thriving bird population the cats are great for catching snakes and scorpions. As for the birds they are far to intelligent for the cats to catch. The only time our cats get a bird is when the young fall from the nest and there is not much we can do about that.

Please do not believe RSPB dogma  'Man' is solely responsible for the decline in all species across this planet.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Buster, you state that cats are controlled by neutering and are fed by humans so only hunt through instinct. It has been like this for hundreds of years so what are you expecting? If we stop feeding them then surely they will kill more wildlife and the pine martin will suffer more. It's always been the case that animals in captivity live longer than those in the wild. Cats evolved over time just like us, they did not come from Noah's Ark, and man chose to domesticate them, so as timeless said, blame us.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »
Quote from Wally.
Cats live the life of a nomad, they hunt & survive. Darwin contributes his theories to the 'art of survival' the strongest survive. Cats & other hunters kill the weakest so they to can survive.

Sorry Wally but you are wrong, let me tell you why?
To make my point let’s take a small mammal the “Pine Martin” this is indigenous to this area and compares it with a domesticated cat:
Most domesticated cats which are owned by the ever increasing number of villa owners are fed a diet of high protein cat food and only hunt birds and small mammals because of their natural instinct, not out of a need to survive.
The Pine Martin (A small mammal about the size of a small cat) only survives in the wild on what it can catch and its numbers fluctuate naturally according to the available food supply and its ability to avoid predators.
The domesticated cat when injured or taken sick is in many cases treated by a vet and survives beyond what would be its natural life span in the wild.
When did you last see a villa owner taking a sick Pine Martin to the vet: unlike the domesticated cat they just die?
To control the number of cats that breed easily we are forced to neuter them.
The pine Martin population is controlled in the wild by a combination of the available food supply and  by its natural predator the fox which is both a predator of pine martens and a competitor for its food sources.
The domestic cat has no such predator and because of human intervention it survives far longer than a wild cat.     
Your other statement was that domesticated cats have been around for 4,500 years.
4500 years ago Noah came out of the Ark and as the Bible states he only had two cats with him. Not much of a threat at the time do you not agree?
I don’t have figures for Turkey but in the UK there are 9 million cats who according to a recent survey it is estimated kill 50 million Birds per year and numerous small mammals.
With people treating the cats and dogs of Kalkan as an extension of their soft toy collection I know my views fall on deaf ears. All I can say is god help the truly wild animals and birds of Kalkan!
Buster.

Massive assumption that Noah and his ark actually existed......

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
Misty - Very good points  :) but to answer a couple of your points. Natural selection selection through species is on going. Hybrids of species have always developed due to the area they live in, food they can hunt, dangers they encounter & their environment. Pine Martins, although I have never seen one anywhere in the wild, programs & pictures show what a beautiful creature which too kill to survive. Their prey is also subject to 'survival of the fittest' I believe with domesticated cats going into their territory pine martins and other animals which counter foreign intruders will survive but maybe in a reformed way? Now Noahs Ark  ??? The Egyptian culture does stretch back at least 4,500 years! Karnak temple was in fact started to be built around 4,500 years ago and took until the last pharaoh died, which was Cleopatra. In the proceeding years extensions where built to honour each Pharaoh. Evidence of a earlier civilisation before the Pharaohs has actually been found within the last 6 months which shows settlements which are dated to over 6,000 years! Evidence of Noahs Ark stretches way before this time & although I believe it happened the world is older with events much older then maybe was previously thought?  ??? All good though & have enjoyed this chat  :-* :-*

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
Have I missed something  ::) ??? ::)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »

Now just need comments from some Pine Martins and Noah  ;D

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
                                                   ??? Ok I'm confused  ???
We've had the dogs now it's the turn of the cats................
Yet the biggest culprits for killing, destruction, noise & pollution are all on 2 legs and called humans ....................

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
 I have seen the heavy machinery ripping through the hillsides and on the roads etc with CAT written on them......i didn't know it meant they were being driven by my little furry buddies ::)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:48:10 PM by blue lizard »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »
Ok, for clarity...conversations to avoid at a dinner party - politics, religion, sex....and now the street animals in Kalkan. Jeeze, I think wars have started over less...
Noah has said "No Comment" and the Pine Martins are considering a super injunction ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
My cat kills on average 3 mice a week and brings them to me as proof.
In the past 4 years she has killed one bird.
Good odds, she stays! 8)
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »
My old cat could not catch a cold let alone a bird or mouse any mice he brought home Im convinced died of old age and he found the body.....birds he would spend ages crouched down wiggling his bum and tail moving around his prey...that soon finished its food and flew off bored by it all......... :) :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cats........

Started by kevincat99 on Politics & Debate

14 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 09:51:43 PM
by Em1
xx
KAPSA and Street Cats

Started by davenottm on KAPSA - Kalkan Animal Welfare Official Announcements

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 04:22:31 PM
by KAPSA Kalkan
xx
Cats and dogs and property owners

Started by saskia on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 11:16:03 AM
by saskia
xx
Jewellery Shop with the cats... and the guy that sells the towels

Started by claire on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 07:06:05 PM
by claire

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal