Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Alternatives to Turkey and Kalkan  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Alternatives to Turkey and Kalkan
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
Returning for our 8th visit to Kalkan next month and on my reckoning have done nearly 20 different day and half day trips from Arycanda and Gombe to Dalyan delta and Kayakoy plus the 2 day Ephesus and Pamukale one. Next year OH adamant she wants to see somewhere else in Europe - but where with Kalkan's atmosphere, restaurants and nearby places of interest? Have been to Kyrenia and N Cyprus but not too impressed. OH been to various places in Greece and likes look of Fiskardo in Kefalonia but there doesn't seem much else to see or do other than tour the island. Anywhere in Italy or Croatia? Or am I asking in the wrong place as once bitten by the Kalkan bug, nowhere else can compete?                                                   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6269.0

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Alternatives to Turkey and Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
Alfaman - before finding Kalkan we were (and still are) great fans of Croatia. We have travelled throughout Croatia and it has a magical coastline - very hard to beat. Rovinj, on the west is a great little town and gives access over to Italy if you wish to travel. My personal recommendation would be to go to the other end and base yourself in Cavtat just outside Dubrovnik. It gives you easy access to the old city of Dubrovnik which is magnificent (but busy in the height of season). Cavtat also gives you access to visit Montenagro and the trip to Kotor is breathtaking. Korcula island is also worth a visit and easy from Cavtat. Many years ago we met a couple who stated "if you love Croatia you should visit Kalkan" - last year we took them up on that recommendation and as they say the rest is history having now bought a property in Kalkan! If you wish more info on Croatia PM me and I'll pass on more detail.

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
I love Kalkan and never tire of it but also like to visit other places as often as possible.  Last year I had a week in Kyrenia and was quite disappointed with the place.  Also visited Croatia for the first time and had an enjoyable week in Cavtat.  I agree with the recommendation by Happy Days -it's a lovely town, the surrounding landsape is stunning, the sea is beautiful.  Dubrovnik is only just up the road.  However... for me any beautiful place is limited if it doesn't have a warm, welcoming ambience and local people who make the holiday memorable.  I'm afraid that Croatia didn't have that magic ingredient in my opinion.  Each evening - even in a different bar or restaurant - left me feeling that something was missing. One place that did make an impression was Molyvos on the Greek island of Lesvos and I also have a very soft spot for Puerto Pollensa in Majorca - another place I never tire of.  Perhaps the answer is to try somewhere new for a week but make sure you fit in a trip to Kalkan so that you don't feel as though you're missing out. 

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:28:02 PM »
Hi Reygirl - like you I was disappointed with Kyrenia, but have been doing research on Cavtat.  Like Kalkan, it seems a good base for day trips but seems to have either large hotels with the usual travel companies, town hotels with no pools or self catering apartments, praised on Tripadvisor but only bookable direct and at a price per day similar to B&B at many Kalkan hotels. Being priced in Euros doesn't help. Will now research Puerto Pollensa - thanks for the tip.                         

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
Puerto Soller in Northern Majorca is lovely, handy for the quaint town of Soller, which you can get to on a little wooden train. Puerto Soller has a great beach and excellent harbourside restaurants.
A lot of artists go to this area to paint.
We hired push bikes and cycled to Fornalutx and Biniaraix two beautiful little places.
Like Kalkan, a distinct lack of rough people and inappropriately dressed types that sometimes make me feel awkward to be British  :o
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
We also loved Lesvos, went for three years to Petra, the next village to Molyvos. Lovely friendly people but does not have the charm of Kalkan. I would suggest Kokkari on Samos, very similar in many respects to Kalkan, quite cosmopolitan with good restaurants and a lovely harbour area.

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
Parga is great and drive down to Lefkas for a few days, stay in Nidri, but must visit the west and south sides while there. Beautiful.

Offline kris kadin

• CJ Cadden
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • I never seem to finish anything I've sta..........
    • Share Post
    • Perth Antennas
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:48 AM »
Are you lot mad!?

You damn well know that NOTHING compares to Kalkan!   ;)

Having said that, I've been to Porto Soller in Majorca and it is a beautiful little town.  Still didn't have that atmosphere that instantly grabs you like kalkan does.

Living in Australia means that Bali is on my doorstep.  The 5 star hotels there are absolutely fantastic and reasonable, the scenery is breathtaking and the people are beautiful and friendly.  The tropical beaches are fantastic and the snorkeling out of this world.  The downside is that you get pestered to hell by street traders and restauranters if you go into town.  You can't go anywhere without being handed fake lottery cards with free holidays won provided you go to time share meetings etc...  Thankfully you don't have to go into town.  You can do excursions to the volcano or Ubud and the monkey temples direct from the hotel.

Go all inclusive to any hotel in Nusa Dua and you will have a fantastic time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:10:03 AM by cjcadden »
Tho Bwian, your father wath a wo man?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Alternatives to Kalkan

Started by dshiels on Other Resorts

25 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 06:30:17 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Kalkan Alternatives - Split from anything bad about Kalk

Started by Kim on The Everything Else Area!

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM
by ginger1
xx
Alternatives to Thomas Cook

Started by dshiels on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 10:25:17 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Kalkan/Turkey

Started by dobs on Introduce Yourself

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 07:26:51 PM
by dobs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EnjoyKalkan meet

Views: 4203
By: Adrian
Kalkan Tornado 1