Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Yali Supermarket  (Read 9210 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Yali Supermarket
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
For those of you that don't follow any of the social media groups there's been a few threads about Yali Supermarket being understocked and folks being directed to shop elsewhere - mostly the national chains in Kalkan.
One of the locals then put up a post asking people to support Yali as they may be going through hard times, rather than criticise their empty shelves, and I just thought it was worth sharing that on here.
When we first started coming to Kalkan there were no national chains, all the supermarkets were local. One by one they have closed as the big boys have moved in. Now we have only a handful of local supermarkets, Yali being the biggest of those, and it would be a shame, if they are in financial trouble, to see the last of larger independent stores close.
Yali has always been our first choice supermarket and what we cant get there, we get elsewhere. We plan to shop there when we are in Kalkan...which is very soon...and I hope you will try and support them in some way too.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13737.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Yali Supermarket
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »
I do see where you are coming from K4E......Yali was always our " go to " supermarket.....when we were there recently,it was devoid of stock and no customers.A lot of what they were selling was expensive...efes as one example....trouble is that people do price check and Yali are now not as competitive

Unfortunately it is economics and folk wont pay more than they need too.....the local supermarkets in Kalkan,cant ( or don't want to ) compete with Migros / Bim etc.

We found " Raid " mozzie spray very competitive at Yali........but,apart from our water cooler water ( from Yali ) we shopped at Kipa,Carrefour, Bim and Migros...the fruit and veg shop and the butcher.....a lot of choice and I think that this is good for the self catering holiday maker.....but I hope they can become more competitive and stay around.......as they are part of the fabric of Kalkan...

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »
We have always used Yali for our main supermarket shopping (although also going to the greengrocers and butchers).   We have been surprised at the variety of things they stock for what is comparatively a small place.   Over the years it has improved so I am surprised to hear they have not been well stocked recently.   I think it will still be our "go to" shop.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
As Mayday1 says it is simple economics, I like yalı  a lot but  lots more supermarkets to choose from and a lot cheaper than Yali
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:49:07 PM by brian j p »

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
We like Yali and have used them for most of our stuff for many years although when we were there in April the stock was limited and no butchery counter. A few years ago when they opened they put out of business the supermarket that was just down the road from them which is now a hardware store. Perhaps that's life. We would be sorry to see them go as they're our local supermarket but in April Angora wine was 6 lira more than other places and about 8 lira more than last year so we obviously didn't buy it there!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »
I appreciate its simple economics and I'm not saying anyone should pay more for their shopping, that's daft! I was merely making people aware and asking if we can, in some small way, help. As Mayday1 says, they're part of the fabric of Kalkan.
Kartin (where the hardware store now is) and Yali existed very well side by side for many years but Yali got bigger, Adda (now Carrefour) opened and Tesko(m) really did become Tesco (Kipa). I think it might have been A101 that saw off Kartin...not 100% sure. I know the chains can offer economies of scale and we do shop in probably every supermarket in Kalkan and go to the butchers and greengrocer separately.
Its tough for all the businesses in Kalkan and we cant support them all, even if we wanted to.
Even if there are other issues, I would be sad if it closed. I'm just putting it out there.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »
Thanks for highlighting this K4E. Fingers crossed Yali manages to recover and compete with the big boys.

I wonder if Morrisons will open stores in Turkey? I guess they will be able to with the £300.00 a year they want off me for my parking permit!!!  >:( >:( >:(

We will definitely support them in August, hope they are well stocked in Magnums and Noggers  ;D

Offline 9yearsinkalkan

• Villa Elsa, Kalamar Bay
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
Whist in Kalkan during March of this year it was obvious the shelves were not stocked as fully as on previous occasions. I asked several respected Kalkan restaurant owners the reason for this and was told the same story....that the owner of Yali invested a large, substantial amount of money ( and I do mean substantial) in a failed Beach Club venture in Fethiye the previous year. If this is true then the timing of this venture has probably worked against the significant investment.
When back in Kalkan in May, you could see there were fewer products available. For instance towards the back of the shop where there used to be several different types of goods, the whole large, long row was filled with one brand of individual tins of cat food. This could suggest a supply issue with different creditors....( these are just my thoughts regarding product availability though )
Let's hope they can get back on their feet soon in what are challenging times for many types of Kalkan businesses.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
Nasty Morrisons, Lizizlu! I may well take my business elsewhere in future, as I'm sure you will also :P
Thanks for the info, 9yearsinkalkan, its such a shame!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »
Such a shame K4E we too have always used Yali easy walking to stock up with our shopping trolley!! We will still support them. Funnily enough I just mentioned too hope they have the Magnums and Droppies lizilu! An all time favourite!

Offline si18665

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
The two Raid bottles against mosquitos, which I bought at Yali two weeks ago, appeared ineffective. I can't prove it, or provide any evidence whether it's the brand or the seller, but I found it strange.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
we have found Raid ineffective as well. seems to stun them but they get back up again !

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
Just been in there to get provisions, 3 ply loo paper for someone's delicate xxx, juice, water, etc and noticed it is now called Anka, the section passed the bakery area is closed off & the shelves aren't as varied stock wise. More importantly a bottle of Efes was 7.25 TL.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
I heard that Yali is still under the same management but just different name.     It has always been our main place for shopping but when we were there in September it was much depleted.   I am sure we will still continue to use it for some things (brand loyalty) but needed to go elsewhere for some things.   Let us hope for the sake of the owner that by next year the shop will be fully stocked again and we can continue to support it.  It has served us well over the years and had just continued to get better.   Hope 2017 has just been a blip.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where is yali supermarket??

Started by amberpop on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 06:49:59 PM
by amberpop
xx
Yali supermarket delivery

Started by Kalkan regular on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 07:42:22 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Visitors beware, Yali supermarket .

Started by Korderekid on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 06:13:18 PM
by amber
xx
Yali

Started by bingley on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 07:36:27 PM
by bingley

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

October Sunset

Views: 6179
By: Cosetta
Views of Kalkan