Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Very "British" Restaurant-Kalamar Rd  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Very "British" Restaurant-Kalamar Rd
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
Living on the Kalamar Road as I do I pass this restaurant frequently.   I believe that people visiting Kalkan can choose whatever they want to eat and where they want to eat.   My complaint is that it looks very tacky for the area with its signs all over the front of the restaurant - and the decor could have been discretely done in tone with the area.    I go to Cafe Vita regularly and I feel very comfortable there - it is a very pleasant place to sit and enjoy whatever food i personlly want.   A little more thought into the presentation of this new restaurant would have been appreciated.   Surely Kalkan is basically Turkish and we are just visitors to this beautiful village.   Do we have to spoil it. 

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »
Totally agree Pauline.

I really can''t understand people who move to another country because they love it and then want to change it to be like England!

Offline paulie1955

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
I know everyone raves about the food in Kalkan, but I find a lot of it very average and very anglicised, and usually with far too big portions--particularly in the summer months when small and tasty is my preference rather than to have huge portions with rice,potatoes,broccoli etc. I think some of the best food isin the cheapest places. The nicest food I ever had in kalkan was made by Tekins (when he was still at yali bar) mum.You would never see food like she made in the local restaurants.Paul

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
We thought the food in Ali Babas restaurant was lovely, perfect portion sizes etc, just a great place  :)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
Which Ali Baba''''''''''''''''s we love the one just up from the roundabound on the right heading up the hill to the bus station....great food and Mustafa and his family and the nicest people you could wish to meet.....and the food is fantastic....especially the vegetarian wrap which is amazing.....great roof top terrace as well :laugh:  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:45:59 PM by misty »

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:51 PM »
The one heading up the hill Misty with the roof terrace, we love it there  :)

Offline Wonderwall

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »
I''m afraid I''m going to have to defend us Brits here - as Eniste says "What next - kebab shops in the UK?".... 

We once invited some very good Turkish friends, who were visiting the UK, for Sunday lunch.  Thinking that they would want to try some of the ''local'' food, we prepared the best Sunday Roast we have ever cooked.  They refused everything except the chicken and wanted bread with it.  I also have a friend who is married to a Turkish lady in the UK, and he has a stepson by that lady, who lives in Istanbul.  When this grown-up stepson comes to stay with them in the UK, he too refuses to eat anything that is not Turkish.  We Brits are not the only ones that like the food we grew up with. 

Personally, my mouth waters when I see that sign for Steak and Kidney pie.  Steak and Ale would go down a treat too. ;)

And as for her decor - ''cheap'', some of you say?  Maybe she''s working hard, from a limited budget, and simply doing the best she can.  Good luck to her.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
The one heading up the hill Misty with the roof terrace, we love it there  :)

He does all our transfers nice mini bus usually a Merc always an older gent driving very steady and safe which is reassuring based on some of the comments posted......and my son reckons his milk shakes are wicked  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:40 PM »
I always use Byram and Mustafa for my transfers,good price and the driver is very good,as is the food at Ali Babas,and they are really nice people.
Misty did you bump into Mustafas brother ? I thought Mustafa had shrunk !   ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline belinda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
The breakfast in this place is very good for nine lira, they also do a small english breakfast there,(1 egg 1 bacon 1 sausage, beans mushrooms and toast for 5 lira). Bit of a bargain if you ask me.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
I always use Byram and Mustafa for my transfers,good price and the driver is very good,as is the food at Ali Babas,and they are really nice people.
Misty did you bump into Mustafas brother ? I thought Mustafa had shrunk !   ;D

Yep I know what you mean  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline belinda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
The breakfast in this place is very good for nine lira, they also do a small english breakfast there,(1 egg 1 bacon 1 sausage, beans mushrooms and toast for 5 lira). Bit of a bargain if you ask me.

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
I think this is a bit of a culture problem as we are so bad in the UK at trying other things, remember Spain and all the terrible places doing Full English Breakfast and Sunday Roast in the 80''s!

When have a real issue around good food in the UK but should not try and export it to other countries. I come to Kalkan to taste "real" tomatoes and "great" local veg etc so don''t spoil it by giving me local versions of the stuff I can eat 365 at home!

The is nothing worse to me than Full English breakfast abroad it shows a complete lack of imagination and the ability to get involved with the local way.

Offline foreverkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
I agree with you ScotsinKalkan, why would you want it with the fantastic food there

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »
Hopefully the mini Benidorm will stay down Kalamar road!!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Isn''t it about time EK acted to stop this lady peddling this foreign muck and polluting the minds of Kalkan''s young and innocent?.....               Just a joke.

How about a bit of ''live and let live'' here or even ''a little of what you fancy does you good''?  In 5 years visiting and now living in Kalkan, I have never been more than 20 yards down Kalamar road and would probably not choose to do so either for a roast, full english or even good chips at Vita (clearly classic Turkish cuisine).  How about we wish her well and let people choose where they go?  It''s hardly Bodrum or Benidorm yet!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
It would be like that village in "The prisoner" if we all ate the same and dressed the same..live and let live i say ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lougie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 11:18:20 AM »
I do wish her luck & it''s nothing personal against her but I just can''t understand why people want that sort of thing in Kalkan.

Most of the people who are posting on this thread are regular visitors to Kalkan and residents, obviously we all love Kalkan otherwise we wouldn''t return year after year or move there so why change somewhere that you love, I don''t understand why us Brits have to spoil a place for our own personal gain.

Everyones different I guess, the world would be a boring place if we where all the same!!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
I think we all hope that this is not the thin end of a large fried British wedge in Kalkan.  If located in the centre of the village, I think it might cause more of a stir.  Variety is apparently the spice of life for some, when for most of us on EK, being in Kalkan is that very spice!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal