Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Garden plants-advice please  (Read 3461 times)

Offline reginald

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Garden plants-advice please
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »
I need some advice please.
I have a very large of vine going up 3 floors on my villa. It causes all sorts of problems with grapes dropping etc and I need to remove it.
Could anyone suggest what can go in its place to take away the starkness of bare concrete.?
Ideally something with flowers and which will grow fast and high.
The obvious is bouganvillea I think, but I am not an expert to say the least.
If bouganvillea, I wonder what species and where to get it from.?
I am coming to Kalkan this week and I guess this is the time to put in a plant? Probably one which is aready largish.
Help please - many thanks in advance !!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1146.0

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
Re: Garden plants-advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
Reginald go and talk to Suleyman who owns the garden centre opposite the Kartin supermarket.  He has planted lots for us and all have taken very well.  He also checks up on the planting every now and then when we''re not in Kalkan. Usually twice a year I get him to feed all the plants so I''ll be calling on him next month.  Sorry can''t help much more than that as I''m afraid I''m definitely not a gardner!

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
Reginald, do you have a colour preference for a bougainvillea?

Offline reginald

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13:27 AM »
Joan

I think purple - but what I am not sure about is whether Bouganvillea is what i should be looking for. I wonder is it grow fast, grows high, and whether this is the time of year to put it in.

Thanks

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »
whatever you plant will need time to put a root system down and grow! bouganvillea grows reasonably quickly once established it will climb as high as you let it.Usually twine is led up the wall where you want it to grow.Conditions in Turkey are ideal as it tolerates heat but dislikes frost,thats why you see so much of it...i love this plant but even where i am on the south coast winter would zap it...(it will grow in a consevatory ,but i like to see it hanging from balconys etc... ) as a previous poster put i''m sure Suleman would do it for you if you aren''t green fingered ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
Hi Reginal

This is prime planting time for all plants as the root systems of new plants need time to be established before the summer heat. Bouganvillea is an ideal plant, fast growing, green all year round and drought tolerant. In fact it flourishes with little water. The more it is watered, the more leaves it puts on but the less flowers - which are actually not flowers but leaf bracts but this is probably getting a bit too technical.

It should not be fed (sorry Charlie) as feeding encourages green leaf but not the coloured ''flowers''  It is tough, survives in poor soil and looks wonderful. A particularly attractive one has pink ''flowers'' and white ''flowers'' on the same plant.

Our bougainvillea survives the very cold winters and gales - including the frost and snow we had this year - which we get in our garden which is 400 metres above sea level. It will flourish wonderfully  in a slightly more sheltered garden.

Lantana

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:45:06 AM »
Thanks for that Lantana I''ll have a chat with Suleyman next month.  He came to the house last March and again Oct time and covered everything in the garden and pots with goat manure (I think!).  Having left in March we were very surprised and delighted at the growth in all the plants when we went back in July.  Looking forward to catching up with you! C

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
why not tap in "RHS"..this will give you the royal horticultural web site..tells you all that you need to know... ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Artificial Plants

Started by turkeyfan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 01:06:44 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Hardy Plants????

Started by clarborough on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 10:09:24 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
THE GARDEN BAR

Started by chris coomber on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 07:26:36 AM
by kalkankiki
xx
Garden Cafe

Started by alshepuk on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 08:19:34 PM
by pasha

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

EK 70s Night

Views: 3842
By: Enjoy Kalkan
70''''s night at Kleo