Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Eats and drinks for 2016 - favs please  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Eats and drinks for 2016 - favs please
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »
Hi all, so as the title suggests what are peoples favourites so far for the year? it can be old places or new, just want to make sure none of us miss any gems!! ;D (the excitement is building 8) 8) )
oh and if there are any shop recommendations throw those in too  ;)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13256.0

Offline Sezkalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
    • Fabio
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Eats and drinks for 2016 - favs please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Hi! We are here at the moment. We have decided to try different places this week.  Last night we went to Gironda (opposite The Nar). It was lovely - a tardis, amazing little hidden gem and steak (beef Wellington) to die for! Will be back in the summer to try it again, when there are other people in the restaurant!
Our property - 3 bed, 3 bath, OWN POOL, fab location:-

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p1897579
www.kalkanpad.com
Facebook:- Apartment Fabio, Kalkan

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
I would highly recommend Olive Garden. It's above the Merkez bar(same family) They are not open until May though. To get a rooftop table with a view it is best to book. Traditional Turkish food and just a tip, if you don't order a starter or dessert, you get complimentary Olive bread  with dips. You will also get a  dessert of dough balls / lemon cake with chocolate sauce.
They never have anyone outside trying to entice you in, their bookings are all word of mouth.
Possibly our favourite.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
Gosh that's a difficult one Holidaylover28 as one man's meat is another man's poison and it's not always about the food. It's sometimes about the ambience, the view, the hospitality and what type of meal you're eating  :).

For us, must go to places are generally, Kaya, Marina, Hunkar, Mussakka, Chillies, Yelken Bistro and Adems for the view. This year we really enjoyed (along with the above) The Brothers, Salonika, Cafe Leon, Salt and pepper and Kalamaki. I've probably forgotten some so apologies if I have.

For drinks, must go to's are always Moonlight (although it wasn't open when we were there just recently) propping up the bar at Kaya and since last year, BlacK and Gold and Botanik. The cheap bottles of wine at Aubergine went down very well with us this year - a little too well really  ::)  ;D  Previously in summer we've enjoyed a trip to fountain bar too. There looks to be a nice new bar opened just this week near Salonika so we will probably try that too in Summer. I think it's called the shade lounge. I spotted it on facebook toady.

You'll be spoilt for choice I'm sure  :) The only place we avoided this year as Lime bar, which was a shame really, as it was good last year, but the word on the street was that Efes was 15 TL a bottle and that was a few TL too many for my OH! I can't confirm this though as we didn't go in.  :)

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
So true Lizilu about one man's meat. We have been coming to Kalkan for about 16years and have never been in Moonlight. Just never fancied it at all, no particular reason either. However have to agree with your other choices, Black and Gold and Botanik. We also love Kleo bar and hope it rises from the ashes this year albeit a little smaller.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »
Hi Holidaylover,

Based on our visit this Easter, I would recommend

Salonica as overall the stand out restaurant,

Paprica as the best fine dining experience

Black and Gold as the best bar (although another strong contender for that title Botanic had yet to open), great range of drinks plus wonderful service. The fact it was by far the cheapest bar we found was just a nice bonus.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
I would highly recommend Olive Garden. It's above the Merkez bar(same family) They are not open until May though. To get a rooftop table with a view it is best to book. Traditional Turkish food and just a tip, if you don't order a starter or dessert, you get complimentary Olive bread  with dips. You will also get a  dessert of dough balls / lemon cake with chocolate sauce.
They never have anyone outside trying to entice you in, their bookings are all word of mouth.
Possibly our favourite.

Seconded.

Also:

Mussaka for the steaks
Kalamaki for the difference
Kaya for the fun

Drinks wise:

Black and Gold
Botanik
(added May 1st: also Marley's)!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:30:27 AM by MartynE »

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
There's so many great places to eat. Gironde is very good and always seems to be a place for more than a meal. Last year we experienced a chap on his knee asking for his girlfriends hand. A very romantic atmosphere. The a young waiter slipped and dropped a plate on a ladies head on the next table to us. Although she had a heck of a cut she grinned and asked for more wine. On the house of course. What a lady. Great place. My favourite is just up from there. Baraht. Great food wine and view. The staff are brilliant. Always our first and last night. For the view it has to be Adams. But we go for lunch when we enjoy the food unlike at night when you become the food. The mosquitoes can get bad if it is a very hot still evening. The family make you feel like family. Unfortunately we will probably not get to kalkan this year or anywhere. Orr. We normally get away 4 times but our daughter is having a baby in July and my misses wants to be close. You never know I might just make it. We always stay at the yellow villa owned by tortoise lady. It is a beautiful place for a holiday and we would recommend it to anyone. The best restaurant for lunch.... Yellow villa roof. Chef... Me.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
With the talk of beer prices I thought I would just add that my son is in Mykonos on holiday, walked into a very average bar/restaurant ( his words ) & ordered a large beer, drunk it and asked for the bill.......20€ or £15.70.....I think 12tl for a beer in Kalkan is a bargain
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
Large Efes and glass of house (Doluca) wine in Aubergine 7.50 TL.  Bottle of house wine, red, white, rose for 21TL unbelievable prices.  Sitting there in comfort with fantastic views, unbeatable.  Next door in Trio, glass of wine and large Efes 10TL, also great value.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
That is amazing value for money! and with the setting too.  I wonder if it will be the same price in summer? I certainly hope so, because we'll be sampling it!  :D

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »
 :o :o well my mother will be over the moon with those wine prices and hubby and dad too with the Efes, i unfortunately won't be sampling this time as it will be a dry hols for me, just hope theres a good range of non-alcoholic cocktails around but hey i don't mind its only for 9 months or so  ;)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Congratulations Holidaylover28  :) :) :). You won't go wrong in Black and Gold for Non alcoholic cocktails and I can definitely confirm that the 'Muslim mojito' in the Marina resaturant is delicious. Lots of the restaurants and bars are doing their versions of homemade lemonade too, which are yummy. You'll be spoiled for choice.  :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
Just been trawling the various posts about restaurants in Kalkan to assist me with my list of where to go for meals (doesn't always work out but it helps the anticipation).

I know from years of experience there are just so many good ones to choose from and have lots of favourites.   This visit a wonky knee is going to restrict me in wandering round.   So reminding myself from other people's favourites which ones might be in very easy walking distance or reachable by taxi once the barriers are down in town.  We are just off the Kalamar Road near Bread and More.

We always enjoy meals on our own roof terrace but love going out as well.   I was amused when I came to this thread to see a posting last May by Cleworthallray that the best place for lunch is on the roof terrace of Yellow Villa.  Although he does say with him as chef and my standards will not be up to his for sure.  But it has reminded me that if I can't get out too much I can still enjoy lots of meals on the roof terrace - even if I have to work my way up there on my bottom.

So thanks Ray, if you are looking.   Also I know Ray's grandchild has now arrived and I have seen a lovely photo of the little chap.   So folks, raise a glass this evening to the new baby.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
It's not just the accessibility of the restaurant, you need to keep the location of their toilets in mind. It's no good having stayed on the level getting there only to find they are up two flights of stairs!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Thanks for that reminder Kalkan Regular.   I am not accustomed to mobility problems so that is a timely warning.  Even with Kalkan hills almost never have had taxis until last year when a family member had hip problems - since had a replacement three months ago and he is much nimbler than me.

I love Moonlight terrace, for example, and I think I could walk that far, albeit slowly.   Lots of steps once there - consolation is the loo is right on the top floor beside the terrace so I wouldn't have to limp up and down as you do in some places.   As long as I could get up there in the first place..........

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
My old dad used to travel with us and he had mobility problems so we became expert in where he could access. If you get a taxi down to the harbour you are ok for all the harbour road restaurants, all the toilets are accessible except for Fener where you have to use the public toilets that are down steps. If you can manage the slope you may also be able to access the level above the harbour (Akin, Doy Doy, Korsan Meze, Black & Gold). If you get a taxi to the top of the town it's a level walk to Musakka but then you have a few steps (they have a hand rail) but the toilets are more or less at restaurant level and they have a  nice view. Further along the street and a flattish walk you have the busy back street along from Moonlight bar. Salonika and Begonville are both lovely but toilets are up or down a flight of stairs. Isos have accessible toilets further along. There are now some lovely restaurants along the Kalamar road where you could be dropped outside by taxi. There are also the restaurants on the road up to the market such as Kaya, Hunker, Corriander, Lime although I'm not sure of the location of their toilets.
I'm sure you'll manage but I would advise having a walking stick. When I had a damaged knee for a couple of years I wouldn't use a stick out of pride but now the knee's sorted I've been left with an over mobile SI joint which gives me lots of hip pain. If I'd known I would have used a stick!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 06:20:24 PM »
Thank you Kalkan Regular for all those suggestions.

Rest assured I will have a substantial walking stick - my pride has to take second place to safety/comfort at the moment.   It does make me feel elderly though!  It is not a good look.   I have a lot of stairs at home (and in Kalkan) so am working on the right technique.

Anyway still much looking forward to the Kalkan food and scenery.   Not planning on emulating Jayne though with her brisk early walks around Kalkan!!   Visas bought so it brings it all closer.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »
You can use your stick to wave at over zealous greeters! >:D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »
Thanks for that Sheila. My grandson is beautiful. Gosh. I wish I was coming to kalkan. I might just pop over and cook your dinner. Save cooking for everyone here. Just done a farm charity event for Macmillan summer lights. ( cancer support) we did a farm house grill for 80/90 people. I used £30 of strawberries. (2 punnets in the smoke) It was tiring for an old sod like me but great. Cooking for you 2 guys would be pretty easy. Not had a single holiday this year. And we always go to Nice around June. Very upsetting to see where we walked every night. So..... I love every restaurants you lucky guys and gals are going. Tried many. Have an issue with aubergine because no matter how many times we go ( and they greet us by name) they try to inflate the bill. Nuggets. (Don't you hate iPhone pre emptive spelling) try again. Bugger. I love them all. But I would love to be in barahat at this very moment. But I am bbqing and I have a gin and tonic. Always great to read the Liz. Where's my old wine swiller Steve. Antler. Heck I wish I was on holiday. Regards to everyone. What's the saying. "Wish I was there" now where's those steps to the roof in paradise. Favourite colour. "Yellow" V.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Food and Drinks

Started by LancashireLass on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:05:33 AM
by Skunk
xx
Drinks prices

Started by claire on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 06:42:48 PM
by claire
xx
Probiotic Drinks

Started by butterfly on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 08:28:50 AM
by butterfly
xx
Non-booze drinks

Started by claire on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 01:58:10 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal