Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Doyum Restaurant  (Read 1526 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Doyum Restaurant
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »

• The Lads had popped into Doyum one day for lunch last week and suggested we try it sometime, bring intrigued by the casseroles cooked in the clay pots that they crack open. So we strolled the short distance down past the taxi rank and up the steps into Doyum.

Jengis the owner said he had been there 10 years and I commented that he must have seen a lot of change. “Not in Doyum” came the reply. I can see what he meant. It did feel very homely & Turkish even with Norah Jones’ “Come Away with Me” playing in the background.

Beles the waiter came over and offered us water and he said he had been there 5years. So I suggested he was only half as good as Jengis and he cracked up.

We broke our “No Starters” rule and opted to share some chicken livers while the clay pot of lamb & vegetables was being baked. About half an hour later our Clay Pot arrived on a plate of flames and the waiters set about cracking it open. The pot was playing hard to crack but with a final blow of the mallet, it gave in just below the score in the clay.

The casserole was tender lamb with vegetables in their “special sauce”, served simply with some rice. We both enjoyed the meal with the waiters adding a little to our plates at a time until the clay pot was empty.

Beles came over and asked if our meal was OK and I replied “Mukemmel!”. He looked blank and I could tell he did not understand my lack of Turkish accent. So I dug out my list of phrases printed on a menu card outside of the Chinese Restaurant on Kalamar Road. “Ah, MukemMEL!” he said and then set about linking the phrases together and teaching me how to pronounce them.

Now, it is amazing how many combinations you can get when you link “How are you?” with “Where do you want to go?” plus “Hospital” …”I love you”…and “Good Bye” - especially after the wine. Beles was very funny, helping us come out with them all, before we paid our bill.

Our dinner was TL93 (£40.43), which included TL9(£3.91)  for the chicken liver starter that we shared, the Clay Pot was TL52 (£22.61) for two people, plus a bottle of wine and water.

Very nice it all was, too.

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6030.0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:04:49 AM by antler »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Doyum restaurant

Started by Enişte on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 10:35:14 AM
by Enişte
xx
Doy Doy restaurant

Started by lolly on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

14 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 10:01:51 PM
by MrT3chn0
thumbup
The Nar Restaurant

Started by geoffdunnett on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 09:05:23 AM
by steve wood
xx
Restaurant Map

Started by john45 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 10:45:42 AM
by Kalkan regular

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Storm Brewing

Views: 3554
By: Buster
Tranquility!