Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Dalaman Duty Free Shop  (Read 7988 times)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Dalaman Duty Free Shop
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
Can anyone enlighten us as to the rules please regarding the Dalaman Duty Free Shop arriving at Dalaman.  If you have purchasde your duty free allowance in the UK and/or on the aeroplane, are you then allowed to purchase more at the Duty Free Shop after arrival and custom clearance at Dalaman Airport.  Only last year when we arrived we did just this, and were told it was okay, but on exiting the airport there were officials on the door, so am not quite clear what the ruling is, could someone advise please?

Jayne

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11235.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Dalaman Duty Free Shop
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:49 PM »
This is not the official rules.   Buy as much as you can carry at Gatwick etc, much cheaper, than Dalaman duty free.....never been pulled by customs at Dalaman ......kiss of death no doubt ;-(((   
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
I like to take Raki over for friends, but can't get it at Manchester airport. However you can get a litre of Yeni Raki at Dalaman Duty Free for 18 euros (it was €15 last year) - which is about half the price of many places in Kalkan.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:38 PM »
I like to take Raki over for friends, but can't get it at Manchester airport. However you can get a litre of Yeni Raki at Dalaman Duty Free for 18 euros (it was €15 last year) - which is about half the price of many places in Kalkan.

We all call it something diff Christina ...you call it "friends" that's cool with me  ;)>:D  ;)

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »
I am never sure either what to bring in but when our neighbours' family arrived to visit them a few weeks ago, between them (3 couples) they brought 30 litres!!  Apparently they bought as much as they could carry in the UK and topped up at Dalaman.  The shop owner gave them a special carrying bag and kept asking if they wanted more!  Anyway they had a happy 2 weeks in Kalkan sitting on their terrace.  Made my token 2 litres look very pathetic!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:40 PM »
Bob & Jayne, the Dalaman Duty Free shop is BEFORE customs, not after. It is after Passport Control and I'm sure you've seen the shop near the luggage carousels. Customs officials are right by the exit and are not known for their vigilance...in fact we went through for years without realising they were there.
We buy in the UK airport, generally our allowance as a couple of 2 litres spirit and 2 bottles of champagne. Once we arrive at Dalaman, we usually buy another litre of spirits and liqueuers....but its a chance as that's way over the limit. Gatwick appear to be more relaxed, Manchester will allow you to buy 2 litres with one passport but I'm always asked if I'm travelling with someone. BH could always go back and get another 2 litres but then we'd have to carry them around with us. We buy the extras at Dalaman and they go straight into our cases...prices still cheaper than UK retail and Kalkan supermarkets.
Coming home from Dalaman there are very good deals on spirits...Bombay Sapphire was only 16 euros for a litre.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
K4E, yes I didn't realise until last year either, but we were still not sure, as we weren't sure whether they were Customs or not, as one chap in uniform randomly stood at the exit.  We land early hours this year though, so the shop may not even be open.
We can't wait now, counting down, 28 days today!  :D 8) 8) :D

Jayne

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
We thought the prices at Dalaman duty free had gone up loads when we were there in May. Cheapest place to buy spirits was on the plane - Thomas Cook have really good deals on spirits but as I remembered Dalaman being cheap I waited until I got there then had to pay lots more than I would have on the plane. I will know better for our next trip (in 10 weeks, yay!)

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
We thought the prices at Dalaman duty free had gone up loads when we were there in May. Cheapest place to buy spirits was on the plane - Thomas Cook have really good deals on spirits but as I remembered Dalaman being cheap I waited until I got there then had to pay lots more than I would have on the plane. I will know better for our next trip (in 10 weeks, yay!)

Yes JenJen,

I noticed the same thing the same time of year, Turkey had definitely got way more expensive but a few days later all the trouble in Istanbul started & I learnt about the change in law & general attitude of the Turkish PM.  The other unusual experience was I could only buy 1l spirits (solo traveller) when previously I've had no problem buying 3l !  Which I take as gifts (honest). 

Lucy Lou

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Duty Free at Dalaman

Started by santah on Flights and Travel

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
by lorilou
xx
duty free m/chester or dalaman ?

Started by fidimax on The Everything Else Area!

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 06:19:40 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Dalaman Duty Free prices ?

Started by Lucy Lou on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 11:02:25 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Dalaman duty free prices?

Started by Oxfordblue on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 11:36:58 PM
by Oxfordblue

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal