Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Coriander & Paprika - disappointed with both :(  (Read 9624 times)

Offline AlisonD

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Coriander & Paprika - disappointed with both :(
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »
Having mulled over where to pick for a first night and eventually decided on Paprika ( based on some hugely encouraging blog posts) I have to say we were very disappointed with our meal. The service was very  very slow and with most of our party having fillet steak, the steak meals were overcooked and shall we say rather sparse on the plate with just a side of limp roasted veg and fries.
Second night we thought we would try Coriander, a new place for this year and a somewhere that everyone seems to be raving about. Sadly a big miss again, the sea bass wrapped prawns for 3 of the 7 of us saw overlooked dry fish and rubbery prawns. Also a little strange to give your order for one dish and be told ' oh no I wouldn't recommend that this is a much better option'!
So - having raved over our food on both trips last year we are not off to the best of starts

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12899.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Coriander & Paprika - disappointed with both :(
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:49 PM »
To change the subject very slightly......I'm not going to comment on food. What I have noticed in a fair few restaurant reviews lately is people saying that the service was slow etc.

Now I wonder if with the poor numbers of tourists in Kalkan this year restaurants have cut back on staff...or more to the point on waiters ......???
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline KlknBtrc

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »
Hi onelove

My friends numbers of restaurant owners they said their biggest problem they cant find new quality stuff anymore,That is why they hire more than necessary,They all have good chef good waiters but behind of them they cant find ,

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Fi and I have always found this a problem...other people raving about their new favourite restaurants/bars/beach club...  so we try them... and almost always end up disappointed. 

Tripadvisor is a minefield too - we never, ever, look at it now because we almost always disagree with the reviews.

Now, we just tend to stick to our old faves... maybe we are just getting boring in our old age ;)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »
Hello AlisonD.
I do hope I was not one of your "hugely popular posts" that encouraged you to have two less than enjoyable meals.  My blog, if it WAS referred to, was a very personal post, based upon my experience. It seems that choosing a restaurant is also a vey emotive subject in Kalkan; mine was a purely pesonal view and not a recomendation.
At least, it seems, your meals can only get better and maybe we look forward to hearing you share that.
Antler

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
Have to say we had a very enjoyable meal in Paprika last month.  Hadn't been in the restaurant for a year or two and really enjoyed it.  Sorry you didn't have the same experience.  That said we went to Corianderr for lunch one day, was fine but not enough to make me return for an evening meal.  I suppose we all can have an off day.  As they say......things can only get better, I hope!

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »
All I can say is that I hope you shared your opinions with the restaurant staff as I know that they would welcome your comment as they would wish to improve. I know that Jan and Dionne at Coriander would certainly welcome your comments.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
Like antler, we too enjoyed meals at Paprika and Coriander - and similarly, we did not recommend either place put posted on our own experience.
On both occasions, we were amazed at the price. Our meal at Coriander rated highly alongside similar priced establishments Ali Babas, Oz Adana etc...Paprika was incredible value - just 115tl for Chateaubriand which was perfectly cooked for us.
Its horses for courses...
I have tried many restaurants in Kalkan after reading reports on here and they have not always been to our taste or we were disappointed with the quality of the food/service/price. I dont believe I have ever posted later that the blogger was at fault for the choice I made....! As Tyros says, I hope you told the staff at both restaurants how unhappy you were and gave them the opportunity to put things right for you.

Here's hoping your dining experiences improve for the rest of the holiday :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
Friends of ours tried to get a table at Coriander  few weeks ago only to be met by a very brusque lady who was most unhelpful possibly English, they didn't get a table & after their experience didn't bother to return, & quite likely will  not bother again.  Have to agree with the slow service, on the occasional times we go out to eat have  found a certain lethargy in some places.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:04:16 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
I have some really lovely meals in Coriander when I was there in April & June I found the English lady very attentive. I think they've really worked hard to get this place up & running given there location. Not exactly romantic views !
I have no problem recommending this restaurant. Cant say I found service slow anywhere with the exception of one restaurant..
but I'm on holiday who wants to rush ... wish I was there now moaning about slow service with a cold glass of wine in hand  !! On second thoughts if the drinks were slow that would be just unacceptable.. 

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:36 PM »
I have eaten at Coriander 4 times.........twice in May and twice in July.I am happy with the meals but they need to get more consistent.Two out of four meals,the wrong items were put on the plate.....ie veg instead of the rice and chips the meal should come with.....they need to learn their menu.

We had two meals that really cried out for more sauce and were very dry without it.We should have asked for more sauce and next time in October we wont make this mistake.The quality of the meals is very good,and provided that they come with the correct things,you will have a lovely meal.

........In July,one man ordered Lamb and was given King prawns instead.When he questioned this,Jan,the owner said that he decided to upgrade his meal and that the prawns were better than the lamb.

......................I was wondering if this was Jan's way of diffusing an obvious mistake,by making a joke......................or if he had actually decided to give him a different meal instead.

I am still not sure !!!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
When they first opened we visited Coriander several times as did many others,  but lunch times, no complaints at all. The location is good for those who want a change from the harbour area.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
Me & the wife eat in Coriander umpteen times during the winter, albeit, only at lunch time, and never had a bad meal. Great food, value & service.

Offline keith

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2638
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
I can't comment on restaurant experiences this year as I've yet to start my holiday to Kalkan. I would just say that we've taken note of what forum members have said  about restaurants in previous years but have always made our own judgement on quality of meal, service and price etc . A meal can be effected by you mood, what kind of day you've had, how tired you are amongst other things and can also be influenced by  your expectations. For me the sheer choice of restaurants and the general ambience of Kalkan makes every meal a special experience especially when shared with your loved ones and friends. ☺

Offline AlisonD

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 08:00:14 AM »
Just by way of an update we ate at Baharat last night and had a tremendous meal. I had the same dish - ish that I ordered at Coriander and there was simply no comparison.
It wasn't my intention to ruffle any feathers by suggesting that I picked either restaurant because they had been recommended on the forum. They were spoken of highly in a number of posts and naturally that led me want to try them for myself. I should add Antler that I particularly enjoyed your holiday blog.
As a few posts have commented some places may be better for lunch, and everyone has an off day occasionally.
BBQ of seabass, prawns and chicken at the villa this evening - I shall have to be on my toes to beat Baharat (maybe I should get the family to post a review)
  ;D

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
I think its swings and roundabouts and some meals are better than others.We went to Baharat about 3 years ago and the food was fantastic, as was the service and atmosphere.

Who ran Baharat at the time ?................Jan and his chef was brilliant !

Who now runs Coriander ?.........Jan and the very same brilliant chef.

I think Coriander does produce quality meals at a very reasonable price,but as I said earlier,they do need more consistency so that their menu is reproduced time and time again,as simple mistakes could be so easily eradicated

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
just for the record , my wife and i had a fabulous meal in coriander last night  :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »
Like all kitchens, either commercial or domestic there are good & bad days, poor ingredients, the chef  having a bad day ( I often have one)  or just grumpy eaters

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »
We went to Coriander last night despite being unsure about the atmosphere - a look at their current FB page suggest some issues where one partner has kept the business and the other two partners are out along with all the original staff.
Still we shouldn't have worried as the food was excellent as was the service. I can highly recommend the 'Coriander Lamb' - a very well cooked dish where the lamb is so good it will have you back again.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
Great to hear that Corriander is still serving up excellent cuisine.The facebook page makes it clear that there are issues which need resolving.I have my opinions as to exactly what has happened,but I know that this case is going through the courts so it is best not to speculate as to what happened.

I wish Jan and Dee all the very best in their future endeavours and hope things work out in court for them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Paprika

Started by bankieken on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 10:52:39 PM
by alisonh
xx
Two new restaurants - Samphire and Paprika - highly recommended

Started by Christina on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 09:44:34 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Coriander

Started by Cuddles on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

24 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 07:04:46 AM
by DRBD
xx
Disappointed with Kelebek furniture store

Started by clarborough on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 08:07:30 PM
by clarborough

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal