Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: birthday meal?  (Read 8483 times)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
birthday meal?
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
any recomendations for a birthday meal when in kalkan. Any suggestions fab.
I also like any food & love traditional turkish food, will be just me & the hubby ..... yum xx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10821.0
Michelle x

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: birthday meal?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
No thrills, Hunkar Ocakbasi. Fine dining, most of the harbour fronted restaurants. Look at Tripadvisor for reviews. Plenty of proper Turkish fayre available as it hasn't been ravaged by British junk food tastes yet (thankfully.)

Enjoy!
Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:03:30 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
We went to Adam's for my birthday last time we were out, told them it was my birthday and they set us a nice decorated table & his wife baked me a huge chocolate cake with sparklers.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
You know what? there are numerous great restaurants in Kalkan, the food down by the harbour is all superb and very cosmopolitan, but for really good Turkish food with fantastic views, clean, comfortable surroundings Ayse's kitchen up behind the bus station is brilliant. maybe doesn't sound great but the food is good simple fayre, you won't get fussy waiters or silver service but you will be full and relaxed. No wine (at least when we've been) but beer if you want it & if you took wine I'm sure they'd be okay with that. The price most definitely won't break the bank.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 07:47:37 AM »
For a special birthday meal I'd recommend Sade (try and book the balcony), Gironda or Fez..............but it's a difficult call.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
I wouldn't recommend the balcony at Sade.

There's only room for two of you, the wine bottle's out of reach, there's no atmosphere (unless the two of you just want to do Greta Garbo impersonations), and you will find that you are largely forgotten and will be totally unable to attract the attention of passing waiters, because they don't pass by.  Occasionally, the curtain on the door may twitch to check you haven't thrown yourself onto the street below.  Romantic it may be if you're not looking forward to having other people around to watch - to say nothing of the bustle and general buzz you get from a good, lively environment.

I'd throw Alternatif into the mix as well - never had a bad evening there - just like most of the places in Kalkan - Sade included, but not the balcony!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »
Well said Chris. Watch you don't get slagged off for actually having a valid opinion!

Best wishes. Good post.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »
Speaking of opinions in terms of where to go for a special meal in Kalkan you will be spoiled for choice as everyone has their favourite. I have forgotten when you are going to Kalkan but as soon as the season starts properly there will be lots of up to date restaurant reviews on here to help you to start drawing up your short list.....or as usually happens with us our 'long list'!  :laugh:

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
How about a lovely Indian meal  8) ;) 8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Oh onelove.......shakes head sadly  ::)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
 ;D ;D >:D >:D ;D ;D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Try the Old Trading House,I know it has had some bad reports,but I ate there a few times last year and the food,service and the views from the top terrace could not have been better ......
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
Kosk is one of my favourites - I always go in and choose my table in advance when I book.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
Naughty Onelove, you're going to have Bazza getting all worked up again, ready to spoil another thread  ::)  ;)

Hi Michelle, what I suggest is, that you have a good scroll through the holiday reports and restaurant and food sections so you'll have an idea of the different kinds of restaurants, then when you arrive in Kalkan you can have a stroll round and try the one you fancy most. It all depends on whether you want ie fine dining or relaxed? View or not? Fireworks or a quiet intimate dinner?

I have many personal favourites for all different reasons, it's all down to personal choice and palate at the end of the day. A small selection of my favourites and ones I can recommend are Kaya, Gourmet, Mussaka, Marina and Doy Doy, but there are many more that I and my family can highly recommend too and we may just discover more this year.  Adems is lovely for the view too.

I'm sure wherever you choose, you will have a birthday celebration to remember.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:17:39 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline Automan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
    • www.baseautobodies.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
Hi Michelle
I took my Wife (Lizilu20) to the Kaya restaurant last year for her birthday.
I emailed Alper through Facebook! the Guys at Kaya put on a fantastic display for her! with fireworks and a cake fit for a queen with her name on it, dimmed lights and singing "happy birthday" it made my Wife`s day so special. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
Thanks Bazza.

We did give our thoughts to them when we left Sade that night.  We never leave somewhere if there is something not right.  We feel if we don't say something, then the management won't see what's not working right.  Whether they choose to act is up to them - and no, we don't make frivolous complaints, just ones on where the way things are done doesn't work to the benefit of the customer.  And we try to do this in a constructive helpful manner not destructive criticism; after all, we want everywhere to be good, so we should highlight the errors in order to get a better choice and service for ourselves and everyone else.

Anyway, we don't find we need to complain about much in Kalkan - there's only two restaurants we won't go back to, and we're keeping those to ourselves! (And, no, neither of them is Sade!)

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
Ooh thanks everyone.  So many for me to try out now. My birthday will be the 4th of June so suppose sort of start of season still. Think I fancy traditional but where I will feel special doesn't have to be over the top though.  X  ???

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »
Its lovely visiting a new location and discovering restaurants and bars for yourself.Its good to hear people opinions on forums but dont let it take away the pleasure of discovering restaurants that you love - tastes and expectations differ vastly!! Living in the town, I talk to loads of visitors and the things that one person loves about a place makes someone else hate it!!!
Michelle, I hope you find your ideal place in Kalkan.........

Offline Sandancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
No thrills, Hunkar Ocakbasi. Fine dining, most of the harbour fronted restaurants. Look at Tripadvisor for reviews. Plenty of proper Turkish fayre available as it hasn't been ravaged by British junk food tastes yet (thankfully.)

Enjoy!
Could you please tell us where Hunkar Ocakbasi is?  We are there for three and a half weeks.  Don't think the budget will stretch to the harbour every night for that long although we will certainly be having some splurges.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice please re: 60th Birthday Meal

Started by Ed on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 08:34:08 PM
by Ed
xx
Great meal

Started by Mrgrimsdale on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 05:53:11 AM
by Mrgrimsdale
smiley
Your best meal 2019 was....

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2019, 12:44:02 PM
by cleworthallray
thumbup
Marina Restaurant - Fab meal

Started by karenm on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 10:25:21 PM
by Denners

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal