Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: Marje40 on July 29, 2012, 08:48:42 AM

Title: Train UK to Turkey - for anyone interested!
Post by: Marje40 on July 29, 2012, 08:48:42 AM
Dear All,

Spending winter in Kalkan and for anyone interested i'm posting costs of booking train/boat/trains to get to
Turkey.

(Prices quoted are for 1 adult, 1 child and 1 dog)

dundee to edinburgh (all gbp) 9.90
edinburgh to kings cross 43.80

liverpool street to amsterdam (2 berth cabin + dog in kennel) 116.50 (Stena Line rail and sail)
day in Amsterdam (for my daughter to visit Anne Frank Museum)

Amsterdam to Prague 188.86 ( 2 berth sleeper)
day in Prague

Prague to Budapest 110.66 (2 berth sleeper) booked online Dresden - Budapest but will get on at Prague
(Pay for dog on train)

Budapest to Bucharest is cheaper to buy at the station but approximately 100 euros pp in sleeper I think

Bucharest to Istanbul - buy at station

Total so far 469.72 - seems a bargain to me!   :laugh:
Title: Re: Train UK to Turkey - for anyone interested!
Post by: kalkanval on July 29, 2012, 09:41:32 AM
How are you getting from Istanbul?  Trian or car hire?
Post by: Marje40 on July 29, 2012, 10:39:52 AM
Hi,

Not sure at the moment - it's a work in progress!

I initially thought about a car and driver as can get the train as far as Izmir, however since my boyfriend (once again!) decided he wasn't coming and would just come out for Christmas with us instead, i'm looking at probably car hire would be a better option for us.

I thought that would give us much more flexibility and we would see more of the smaller villages en-route which would be fun.

Marje
Post by: pw on July 29, 2012, 10:54:12 AM
Have thought about the bus? No personal experience I'm afraid but by all accounts it's a very efficient and comfortable way to travel.
Others on here will be more helpful on this mode of transport.
Looks like a great adventure!

PW
Post by: Marje40 on July 29, 2012, 11:28:10 AM

Yes, i've read about how good the buses are in Turkey but sadly doggies not allowed on them!

Thanks.
Post by: mark on August 01, 2012, 09:44:17 AM
I have posted this link from http://www.seat61.com/Turkey.htm (http://www.seat61.com/Turkey.htm) before, but it might prove useful for any planning an international train trip - not just Turkey.

Marje40, there is also some up to date information on a replacement bus service for the last leg of your journey to Istanbul.

Mark

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal