Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: sunlover on January 09, 2008, 09:59:17 PM

Title: any bad points about kalk
Post by: sunlover on January 09, 2008, 09:59:17 PM
have booked up a villa in kalkan for august, have spoken with a few members and looked at this great site all about kalkan, kaljan looks absolutely amazing, has anybody got anything bad to say about kalkan, i have such great expectations i really do not want to be disappointed.  Usually when I think something is going to be really great it is never as good as i expected.  Everybody has such good things to say and i do not want to be disappointed when we get there.  going with hubbby and daughter and her friend both 19 and son who is 15.
Title: Re: any bad points about kalk
Post by: alisonh on January 09, 2008, 11:38:43 PM
Hi Sunlover,

Sorry, from a personal experience I can''t help you with any bad points about Kalkan.  If you have read my members blog you will see that we had the most fabulous time, enjoyed every minute and have booked up again this year.  Like you, having discovered Kalkan and this website I read all the wonderful reviews and thought it all sounded too good to be true - I prepared myself for a fall,  thinking it wasn''t going to be as good as expected.  We had never been to Turkey before and it took me a while to persuade my other half that Kalkan was the place to be.  In reality it was everything I expected and more -  what a relief!

OK, so everyone has different ideas about that perfect holiday, but you have obviously done your research so trust your judgement, I''m sure you will have a great time!

Happy Holidays,
Alison

Post by: DRBD on January 10, 2008, 07:01:09 AM
Sunlover,

Obviously those of us that have known Kalkan for many a year and have seen the changes can say that we are not happy about several things, mainly perhaps the over building, but the likes of us have who have properties are to blame partly for that.  Can''t be that bad though as we keep going.

For anyone new or reasonably new to Kalkan and have done their homework, should not be disappointed.  We spent our very first holiday in Turkey in Kalkan several years ago and did venture to other locations after that, non compared, we had been spoilt and very lucky to find Kalkan first.  Obviously since then other nice areas have been developed, but we just found we could arrive in Kalkan chill out straight away without being bored and having to try and search a new area, we both have busy working lives and restricted for time off so this was a bonus.

As mentioned numerous times, it is a warm and friendly place and new faces to the town are always made very welcome by the locals who are very proud of their village.  If you get the chance to venture out of the area take it, there are lots of things & locations to see.

If you want to chill, its a perfect place, if you want a late night in a bar you can have it, if you want lots of discos - no way - if you want to be rowdy go ahead but be prepared to be frowned at, other than that it will be what you make it and hope you enjoy and have a great time.
Post by: felicity on January 10, 2008, 08:22:13 AM
DRBD - has said it all - my sentiments entirely!!  Go for it and enjoy it and you will possibly be bitten by the kalkan bug!!!
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on January 10, 2008, 08:28:58 AM
The only bad points to Kalkan

Post by: Lorretta on January 10, 2008, 08:38:14 AM
Dear Sunlover,
I have always been one of those people who thought that people who go back to the same resort year after year must be boring .... that is until I discovered Kalkan. We have visited other countries and resorts in the intervening years but nowhere else compares. As DRBD says it is the perfect place to chill out and relax and you are always made so welcome. However there are a few negative points. One is the fact that too many people have jumped on the property bandwagon so a lot of building has occurred, in fact I would now say that the amount of new villas etc far outstrips demand. The other negative is that the taxi drivers have put their fares up, however this is not a problem for us as our apartment is only a 5 minute walk from the town. I am really racking my brains to think of some bad points but can''t think of anything else! I would like to end with a little story:
About 3 years ago we visited one of my favourite restaurants, sofra. At the time of ordering our meal I made a point of ordering my desert, home made chocolate cake. Some time into our main course the head waiter apologised profusely because the chocolate cake had in fact sold out. He then said I could come back anytime for a complimentary coffee and slice of cake. as it happened I never got round to it, however the following year we visited the same restaurant whereupon the same head waiter recognised me and said "I will put your chocolate cake under lock and key" How''s that for service!
I am sure you will have a lovely holiday, we have repeat bookings from people who return year after year.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on January 10, 2008, 08:44:25 AM
Ive just thought of another bad point now Loretta mentioned the Sofra chocolate cake (which is devine!)

You end up putting on the pounds and need a diet when you come back!!
Post by: Lorretta on January 10, 2008, 09:01:40 AM
Oh yes Jon, I forgot about that! I always put on weight after being in Kalkan, in fact I have pre Kalkan holiday clothes and post kalkan holiday clothes LOL
Post by: DRBD on January 10, 2008, 11:46:03 AM
oh Jon, I think you hit it on the head with your 3rd point, and your first ones not far off either. ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 10, 2008, 06:15:56 PM
Hi Sunlover,
you can have lashings of Sofra''s chocolate cake...if you avoid the taxis  ;) My better half and I enjoyed our first trip to Kalkan last year.....and despite the fact we''ve NEVER been back to the same place twice we came home and booked up within a month for a return trip this year. You will love Kalkan, I''m sure of that...we absolutely fell in love with the place, the people, the beach clubs, the restaurants....and the hills. The first holiday I''ve been on where I actually lost weight, despite eating out every day and night and supping my fair share of cocktails, G&T''s etc...fantastic ;D.
The only thing wrong with Kalkan is I can''t live there :(
Post by: Cruisecontroller on January 11, 2008, 08:58:00 PM
Hi Sunlover,
               In all the years that we''ve been holidaying abroad, Kalkan is the only place where we''ve stayed at the same Hotel twice, really scary !!  The only downside to Kalkan, so to speak, is the hill, especially Cardiac Hill.  On our last visit, back in September, we were looking at property with a view to buying and the hill was our only concern.  As other members have stated, the local people are simply the best, so warm and welcoming.  You will enjoy your holiday and the members on here will look forward to your report when you get back.

Les
Post by: sunlover on January 12, 2008, 12:36:35 PM
thanks so much to everybody for all the replies, am getting more and more excited about going to Kalkan, like many of you I love going to different places and exploring new things, it is a big world out there, so I am so pleased I have persuaded my husband to go to Kalkan and have a change from Spain, Cyprus, Portugal USA etc.  My husband usually leaves the holiday arrangements to me anyway, so it didn''t take too much to persuade him, and I keep showing him all the things on this Forum and he even said it''s more than likely that we will go to kalkan more than once if the  reports are anything to go by.
i know taxi prices have been mentioned so we will probably hire a car and just get taxis at night.
Last year we went to Spain and i do not how we did it but we came back with some Euros that I was going to use this year, but now we are going to Turkey not sure if we can use them, do they accept Euro Travelles Cheques or is it best to change them to Lira.
So pleased I have found this site as you can be a bit prepared before travelling to Country for first time.
Many thanks to everybody who took the time to reply.
Sunlover
Post by: holidayfever on January 12, 2008, 12:47:34 PM
They take pound sterling euro and turkish lira, it is easy to use sterling and get your change in Lira, in the market they sell lots of thyings say 3 t shirts for a £10 or however many euro, restraunts will except anything, it is easier with the Lira for Taxi and shopping for food.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 12, 2008, 05:44:48 PM
there were several discussions on this last year...we find whats best for us is a "nationwide flex account" we pay money into this account throughout the year,just like a normal account, but when in kalkan we draw turkish lira out at no extra cost..yes it''s a free  service!!There are plenty of cashpoints in Kalkan so it''s no problem,it saves changing travellers cheques and carrying large amounts around...just  some currency till you find your feet!!(P.S.i have no connection with the nationwide other than this account)  ;)
Post by: Rosie on January 13, 2008, 01:23:31 PM
Sunlover..you won''t be disappointed at all, welcome to Kalkan!

My family used to have a place in Portugal, in fact my brother lives there now, but I have to say Kalkan beats the socks off the Algarve. I''ve travelled to most parts of the world and was finally thinking of buying somewhere in France, but once I arrived in Kalkan, there was just no turning back. I was hooked!

You didn''t say whereabouts you''re renting - you may find that it''s not necessary to hire taxis if you are on the flat - yes there are some parts, along the Kalamar Road for instance, that don''t involve hills! Or you may be only 10 mins walk or so perhaps going up the hill towards the petrol station. If you are, it''s not a bad stroll back to walk off that wonderful dinner you will have enjoyed.

Relax and enjoy you are in for a wonderful holiday  :D

Post by: ginger1 on January 13, 2008, 02:48:47 PM
Hi Sunlover and Kalkanites

Please do not take this the wrong way, Kalkan is wonderful.  We were there last year in June and returned in October and purchased a villa.  We have been going to Turkey for the last 20 years and love it.

However, over the last ten years the rise in prices in the restaurants has been incredible.  The food is good but not 5 star.  We have just returned from  Koh Samui where we spent Christmas and New Year now,  that is five star food.  Whether it be Thai, French or what ever.

Kalkan has so many restaurant now there are not enough customers to fill their seats.  What do the restaurants owners do they do they increase their prices and believe me the prices  are now on a par with the U.K  The service is excellent and you are remembered year after year.  However  I  feel the restaurants should review their pricing and packaging.

Let''s look at Coast and Gironda you are sitting so close to the next table you can almost hear the customers  hearts beating.  The Korsch ( please ex use my spelling ), the prices are ridiculous. I talked to a restaurant owner last year she was thinking about going along the take away and delivery route, ( some restaurants are already doing this), as more and more people are renting villas and not going out every night.

I would love to go out every night, we used to when the food was reasonably priced.  Surely I am not the only one who thinks this way.

People are painting a Utopia.  Kalkan is lovely but, please get real!

Post by: Rosie on January 13, 2008, 03:23:26 PM
Well ginger1, I think you have a point there.

I''ve not been going as long as you have, but I have seen the prices going up and yes there are a lot of restaurants that can''t all be sustained by the tourist market. In fact,when I was there over Christmas period I saw one or two restaurants that are up for sale.

Talking of Gironda, they are having a major overhaul and redoing the downstairs courtyard.  I believe also, the menu is going to be overhauled and hopefully the prices reviewed downwards into the bargain.

Takeaways, if kept to local dishes like Lamacun for instance are no bad thing. Just lets keep the burger and chips away!
Post by: ginger1 on January 13, 2008, 03:29:27 PM
Thank you Rosie

We love Kalkan, however something does need to be done about the restaurants. There are to many  of them. They  are not working at full capacity which is sad
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 13, 2008, 05:28:50 PM
there are still plenty of restaurants that cater for every pocket..the rooftops in town by and large are more expensive.The top end of the village offers some reasonable prices the Kaya,Alternatiff(roof terrace),Breeze..all readilly spring to mind as being good food and value ;)
Post by: ginger1 on January 13, 2008, 06:10:09 PM
how do you price expensive
Post by: Tatilde on January 13, 2008, 06:38:03 PM
I think it depends on where you live in the UK.
Post by: Cruisecontroller on January 13, 2008, 07:21:45 PM
We first came to Kalkan in 2006 and found the cost of eating out to be cheaper than say Kusadasi and Icmeler.  On top of this a meal is only as expensive as the establishment you use and how much food and drink you have.  We always go on a budget, we have a soft drink and a main course, if more hungry then we will either have a starter or a sweet and end up paying 25 - 40 Ytl.  Another avenue we went down was to have a set meal, which works out quite cheap, also, because we are possibly looking to buy property in Turkey we are also using the restaurants that the local people use which are cheaper still.
Post by: bankieken on January 13, 2008, 11:01:19 PM
To be fair I think business owners will try to charge as much as they think the tourist market can stand. If prices become too high visitors will not use their establishment.  There are certainly a few places that we think twice before going into as they do not offer the same value as others in the town or for some things further afield

With the prospect of the Lira / Sterling exchange rate hitting an all time low this year, even if prices at restaurants stay at last seasons level in real terms they will be 20-25% higher for UK visitors.

How many of use will be taking 25% more spending money out when we visit - not many.

I do not know if many business owners think along these lines but I would doubt if many take this into consideration. I hope I am proved wrong.
Post by: alantj on January 14, 2008, 12:23:54 AM
For the last 6 years all of our holidays have been in Kalkan. Back then Turkey was much cheaper than the rest of Europe and I assumed that this was still the case however last year friends we invited over said they were suprised at just how dear Kalkan was.

This caused me to enquire further and the general feeling was that Turkey was now much dearer than other parts of Europe. I then said but what about the great food in Kalkan and was suprised to hear that the general feeling was that Turkish restaurants in London were just as good or better than in Kalkan and in some cases cheaper.   

We have offered the use of our villa to friends again this year and found that even with the offer of free accommodation, the cost of the flights plus transfers and the perception that Kalkan is expensive has made them less than keen about taking up the offer. 

For this year, I really hope that the restaurants, bars etc realise that with the Lira appreciating against the Pound  they need to drop or at least hold their prices (after all they were quick enough to raise prices in other years when the Lira depreciated against the Pound).

Regards

Alan
Post by: DRBD on January 14, 2008, 06:59:27 AM
ginger1 -

Yes you do have a good point re the prices being so high, infact we recently stated on this forum that its as expensive to eat in Kalkan as it is back in the UK, and OK there are the good and cheap places just as back here but never the less it is not a cheap option to eat out in Kalkan anymore.

Talking to the locals over Christmas, the rents are increasing far too much hence the closing of the Sevill supermarket  on the roundabout, now they have been there for many a year, the Turkish version of Tesco have moved in or were moving in when we were there, Adems leaving the town and moving to his home and building there to have his restaurant and the many that have just given up and closed.  Over the years we have seen large establishments shrink to smaller ones and then eventually just disappear.

Even if you self cater, its still expensive.

Alantj''''''''''''''''s comment about their friends less than excited reaction to free accommodation is a sobering thought indeed.
Post by: kalkanfan on January 14, 2008, 08:04:32 AM
What exactly needs to be "done" about the number restaurants?  I agree there may be more supply than demand but that will dictate which ones survive and which ones do not.  I cannot see that anyone can do anything about it - what would you suggest, that some are told to close because there are too many?  The restaurants are not one of Kalkan''''s "bad" points - they are one of the many positives.  Coast, which is one of the more popular restuarants, only opened in 2005 - should they have been told "sorry you can''t open because we''ve too may restaurants already?"  If those charging higher prices thrive or are more popular than some others then surely that''''s because they are providing value for money and/or a dining experience that means you are happy to pay their prices?  There are still plenty of cheaper eating options if you want to try them.

A theme throughout many threads on this forum is the rising cost of many of the services that form part of the holiday experience.  This is not unique to Kalkan - prices go up all the time and we (generally) accept that.  I see that the current exchange rate is between 2.20 - 2.30 YTL to the £ - so everything will be more expensive relative to last year if this rate remains.  So I hope we do not suffer a plethora of posts throughout the year moaning about how much more expensive Kalkan is.  If it''''s too expensive try somewhere else cheaper.  The reason I return to Kalkan each year is to meet the many friends I have made there over the years - that to me is priceless.

My only negative about Kalkan is the constant building of villas and apartments for a market that just isn''''t there.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on January 14, 2008, 08:26:48 AM
Without wishing to be too controversial, perhaps the higher pricing is a good thing in disguise. Turkey is sometimes perceived to be a cheap package holiday destination, which is often reflected by the clientele you see at the airports. I would say many of these people are going for cheap alcohol etc as opposed the stunning scenery Turkey has to offer - I would say it is one of the most beautiful countries we have visited.

Perhaps with an overall increase in prices Turkey will see its tourism demographics change somewhat. Now before everyone see''s this post as a hand grenade thrown in, I am talking in general across all resorts not Kalkan! I base what I say given the struggles of other countries trying to realign their tourism demographics, specifically Ibiza, Prague, certain areas of the Spanish Costas.

Furthermore the costs of flights has traditionally been high, however with Onur Air and other low fare carriers now offering more attractive pricing perhaps things are going to change.

Post by: DRBD on January 14, 2008, 09:03:24 AM
Personally would not be so impertenant or pompous to suggest that these restaurants are refused permission to trade, just stating things as we find and experience.  And like you Kalkanfan, we and others do and will continue to  go to Kalkan regardless, as we have done so for many a year.  Remember when Kalkan was called "Turkeys best kept secret", and really people were not then aware of it or where it was.

Jon, oh how right you are, it is a beautiful country and has lots to offer, and never more so than at this time of year.

Post by: bluefudge11 on January 14, 2008, 09:55:30 AM
Jon
I think it would be a shame if the stunning scenery, friendly people and delicious food that Turkey offers becomes out of reach for the less well off.
I agree that at the airports you do see many people who have probably not ventured any further than the pool bar, other than to get a full English but it is not the majority.
From my many visits to many areas of Turkey, the majority of people I have met from around the globe enjoyed Turkey for what it is.
Will we soon be seeing signs saying "Welcome to Kalkan ( Riff Raff not allowed)"  :)
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on January 14, 2008, 10:38:32 AM
I agree Bluefudge - I was certainly not implying wealth should be a deciding factor in what people can see and experience. As you picked up however, some people, regardless of financial background wish everywhere to be "little britain" which would be a real shame.

Post by: Jonesy on January 14, 2008, 11:16:35 AM
The quality of the food is very high in Kalkan but yes, it is very pricey.  You should however take into account the cost of rent which has rocketed over the last few years and food prices have increased.  We stayed in a villa and bought beef from the butcher.  It was not that much less than in the UK, so I would imagine that is why restaurant prices are creeping up.

The average cost of a 2 course meal with wine will cost you from £10 - £25.00 per person. 

What would you pay in the South of France for a similar standard restaurant?  Triple, I guess?

Post by: Blue Lizard on January 14, 2008, 01:17:59 PM
to be honest we don''t eat out every night,it''s not because of prices ,but why stay in someones lovely villa with all the amenities and not use them?  sometimes if we have eaten a snack during the day we cant do justice to a meal out !! other times we just don''t fancy going out and have a meal in with a couple of bottles of wine, watching the sunset and a late dip in the pool.We go on hols to do as we please when we please and i like nothing better than trying ottoman dishes etc..i  also on occasion  get a pang for a big plate of chips with ketchup!! if you se me eating a plate of chips please don''t poke me with sticks!! :D :D
Post by: bankieken on January 14, 2008, 01:36:04 PM
It is essential for the Turkish economy that the number of visitors to the country increases year on year - tourism is a key sector of the economy and draws in large amounts of foreign currency.  It is therefore essential that it appeals to the mass market (with all that it entails).

A strong Lira coupled with year on year price increases by businesses will damage trade but the effect will only be seen further down the line - as former visitors opt for other locations which they perceive to be better value for money. Kalkan may experience it sooner as it purports to operate at the higher end of the market.

I don''t think you can accurately compare Kalkan with some other areas - the South of France or very upmarket parts of Spain - they are too dissimilar.  If anyone in Kalkan believes they can offer what these places have on a like for like basis then they need to wake up.

Kalkan has a unique atmosphere and attraction - that why we return each year. It has its fair share of upmarket establishments. However it is not pristine or pretentious. Lets hope it doesn''t try to become so.
Post by: Charlie on January 14, 2008, 01:54:15 PM
bankieken your last paragraph sums up Kalkan completely for me.  Long may it stay like this.
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 15, 2008, 01:42:27 PM
we are fairly new to Kalkan, so haven''t experienced the same price hike as other forum members who have been visiting for years. We''ve travelled quite extensively and yes, Kalkan is far cheaper than lots of places we''ve visited in Europe, but more expensive than say, the Red Sea, Thailand and other "newer" tourist areas. I think you need to compare "like for like" and we believe Kalkan is similar to some of the more upmarket areas in the Balearics - gorgeous views, excellent restaurants and bars, good standard accomodation and relatively unspoilt. However the similarity ends there. To rent a villa with uninterrupted sea views would cost double. if not treble what we are paying in Kalkan (plus I think the view in Kalkan is much better than many of the villas and apartments we''ve stayed in). The choice of bars and restaurants is far greater than in these places - so you are in a position to set your own budget. In Kalkan you can eat good food at great prices, or you can pay more for an adventurous menu and classier surroundings.
The beauty is YOU have a choice  :o
Or like Blue Lizard, you can have your own sundowner on your own balcony and admire the stunning view you''ve bought for a couple of weeks - when the mood takes you 8)
I think Kalkan compares favourably to its competitors on price and beats them all hands down for the customer experience. We have to remember, Turkey is catching up to the rest of Europe and those of you that had it so cheap for so long should thank your lucky stars, not bemoan the prices now  :)
Post by: jayne on January 15, 2008, 02:34:00 PM
I completely agree with everything you have said kalkan4eva and if the Euro retains it strength against the the pound, then going anywhere in Europe this year will be more expensive.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 15, 2008, 02:51:49 PM
we found turkey 24 years ago,Kalkan 21 years ago,we were staying in Patara ,believe it or not it was a thriving little community..however for a change one evening we got a taxi to Kalkan.....that was it!! we fell for the beauty of the place, the warmth of the locals and the general laid back feel of the place.Yes it''s got bigger,prices have risen but thats progress,this happens everywhere especially when you have so much natural beauty surrounding a place.Walking down the street is a pleasure,people stop and chat (a turk won''t forget your name!) more people speak to us than they do in our own town.After a couple of days we are truly relaxed and like rubber people!! However this year is likely to be my last for a while..after we return we are having an addition to our family..yes a new dog!!my other half may continue to go but i shall be dog sitting.Our old dog passed on a couple of years ago and we are ready for another.my mother used to have him while we holidayed, however it won''t be fair to land her with a pup!! still iv''e had a good run! this year will be special(even more so) i wonder what kalkan will be like in say 3/4 years time ;)
Post by: Charlie on January 15, 2008, 05:40:35 PM
blue lizard somehow I can''t see you staying away from Kalkan for 3/4 years!  Find a good kennel and get him/her used to it when they''re young.
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 15, 2008, 05:53:31 PM
yes it will be hard..we usually go out at least twice a year..i won''t kennel a dog, when i take one on i get fully devoted,it''s bad enough putting our moggie in the cattery!! i will explore other avenues..maybe neice comes to stay at my house....mmmm what about party''s? ::)
Post by: itstime on January 15, 2008, 05:59:01 PM
lol just make sure you have all singing all dancing house insurance which covers every eventuality :laugh: that''s what I did two years ago when I left my son home alone for the first time ever. Have to say he was 18 so it was legal but did worry about parties etc. Left him a few times now and absolutely no problems so far  :)
Post by: Brooksie on January 15, 2008, 07:38:13 PM
Rosie
I''m with you.
Post by: littlelin on January 15, 2008, 08:56:50 PM
Welcome back Brooksie, you haven''t been around for a while.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on January 19, 2008, 03:05:44 PM
I have split the thread re other areas into a new topic on the Everything Else Area.

Cheers
Jon
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal