Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: Baggy on July 16, 2012, 10:19:00 AM

Title: the customer is always right . . .?
Post by: Baggy on July 16, 2012, 10:19:00 AM
We all make our feelings known about the restaurants and bars in Kalkan - quality of food, service, ambience . . . - but wouldn't it be interesting if the restaurateurs, waiters and apartment owners reviewed us, their customers?
I think we'd be in for a bit of a shock . . .
I've seen some bad manners with my own eyes but over the years we have made friends with people in all kinds of business in the town, and I am sometimes appalled at the stories they tell me about the state apartments are left in  and the way staff in restaurants and shops are treated by some of us.
One friend told me of a party of people who, having cleared their plates, refused to pay, saying they had not enjoyed their meal (a friend of his told him the same group had done the same thing at his restaurant). Another only this weekend had a group of people (who had not eaten in the restaurant) turning up demanding free cocktails...
This is so indicative of the Brits abroad mentality those of us who love Kalkan and want to continue coming here try to avoid. I'm sure all us EK Kalkan regulars mind our Ps and Qs but I am concerned at how some of our fellow holidaymakers are behaving.
Title: Re: the customer is always right . . .?
Post by: misty on July 16, 2012, 11:39:13 AM
Nothing can be more embarrassing than Brits abroad...... :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on July 16, 2012, 12:01:42 PM
I think Misty you mean SOME Brits abroad. Many, many Brits are well behaved, respectful and good tourists. In all my travels I have come across badly behaved tourists from many different countries. It's just that we become embarased when it is one from our own country. I have to say that the worst behaviour I have seen on my travels hasn't been from Brits.
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 16, 2012, 12:52:15 PM
It must be said that class is also no barrier to bad behaviour..some of the worst and downright rudest i've seen over the years has been from the hooray Henrys and Henriettas.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on July 16, 2012, 01:19:54 PM
Have come across a mixture of rude people, whilst on holiday in Calis beach i was getting quite annoyed about how some Brits were talking to the owner of the restaurant we were in, the women were trying to order half a lager and lime and of course the Turkish guy couldn't understand this and they were being rude about the fact he didn't understand English. HELLO, he's Turkish and we are in his country, did they speak Turkish, NO!! Also whilst we were in Gourmet terrace in June there was a party of Americans in, obviously had money and they were very loud and obnoxious, i came close to slapping the father as he wanted to use the toilet whilst i was in there and he was constantly turning the door handle and banging on the door then when i came out muttered something about me and pushed me out the way. He came very close to being launched off the terrace!!(No offence to our American members!!)
Post by: Johnjen on July 16, 2012, 06:03:13 PM
Reminds me of when there was a chinese restaurant just over the road from the yali supermarket.There were two middle aged couples on the next table who ate all their meal & I overheard one man say to the other 'watch this,I'll get this for nothing'When the waiter came to clear the table he asked 'was everything all right with your meal'.The reply was 'no it was too salty,we are not paying for it.We will only pay for the starters'The waiter brought a chinese lady,probably the proprietor who apologised & said they would not charge for the main course.(they had eaten the lot for gods sake).I couldn't contain myself & verbally attacked them.Can't remember all I said but it wouldn't have been pleasant.I was told to mind my own business but I just couldn't.I took a photo of them on my mobile & said I would distribute around town.I didn't of course, but we did not see them again over the fortnight so perhaps they were keeping a very low profile.I hope they read this and are suitably embarassed.
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 16, 2012, 06:09:26 PM
Good for you, i used to like her place....if i were the Chinese lady i would have invited them back for a free meal..i would have guaranteed they wouldn't have been seen around for the rest of the holiday being unable to get off the throne! >:D
(many years ago she had a chinese place where Kleo is on the harbour)
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 16, 2012, 06:14:18 PM
I am appalled the way some people behave and agree with others that there is no typical rude tourist - their backgrounds and nationalities do differ. There is definitely a common thread to these people and that's their arrogance and complete lack of respect.
They're on my list to be sent to a desert island when I rule the world :P
Post by: onelove on July 16, 2012, 08:17:20 PM
No need for rudeness of any form   ???
Post by: Skunk on July 16, 2012, 09:18:02 PM
I agree.  I also hate the thought of those lovely people being ripped off at the hands of the Brits.   >:( >:( :o :o
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 16, 2012, 10:57:26 PM
I totally agree there is no excuse for rudeness! But just to cheer you all up we have heard from a very reliable source that it was 50.9 degrees in kalkan yesterday!

J
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 17, 2012, 08:40:52 AM
Phew!! 50 degrees!! I'm going to be one sweaty Betty!!! O0 8)
I sgree with all previous posters, these people put not only our country to shame, but also the human race. I can't stand rude arrogant people. They are usually the type that feel as though they can run roughshod over peoples feelings, but take affront when they are challenged. Grrr  >:(
Post by: Chris the Spark on July 17, 2012, 09:35:53 AM
Phew Jayne

Hope it cools down for when we all go in August or we might just parboil our bottocks on the Water Hammocks :o :o :o :o
C
Post by: kalkanview on July 17, 2012, 09:49:33 AM
Before everybody cancels their Kalkan holiday after reading it was over 50 degrees yesterday, I think it should be clarified that this is obviously under the full power of the direct sun.

All weather forecasts provide shade temperatures so it is not comparable.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 17, 2012, 09:51:56 AM
Ha Ha! our's is still in the bag, ready and waiting! Also just heard on the radio that the jet stream is shifting and we are going to have a heat wave in the UK from next week! so will be able to get some tanning in before Kalkan now!

J
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 17, 2012, 01:30:43 PM
And you actually believe them???? are you sure he didn't say my jet ski is shifting? :P ::)
Post by: Babs on July 17, 2012, 02:21:28 PM
I'm not really sure what the 'jet stream' is but it is a pain in the butt! Please let it be moving.....we've been back from Kalkan for just over a week....tan is fading fast, eating like a maniac because I am miserable, webbing growing between toes etc etc.......
Post by: Skunk on July 17, 2012, 02:42:11 PM
Yes Tuesday apparently it's going up north - good luck to them.  ??? ::) ;D ;D
Post by: Charlie on July 17, 2012, 06:08:44 PM
The temperature reading of 50.9 was taken just after 2pm on Sunday in the shade from a very reliable source.
Post by: kalkanview on July 17, 2012, 10:45:34 PM
The temperature reading of 50.9 was taken just after 2pm on Sunday in the shade from a very reliable source.

With respect it is complete nonsense that Kalkan was over 50 degrees in the shade on Sunday.  If true it would be more newsworthy than the recent earthquakes, some vulnerable people would die, the forum would be flooded with desperate posts and Kalkan would grind to a halt.  None of which happened.

Its highly likely that no part of turkey has ever been that hot, so the "reliable source" is truly mistaken.
Post by: itstime on July 18, 2012, 11:44:39 AM
Yes Tuesday apparently it's going up north - good luck to them.  ??? ::) ;D ;D

Ahem it's been in The North the entire time too. The last few weeks have seen major flooding in many parts of Scotland. Luckily I was in Kalkan and missed it :D
Driving back from Edinburgh airport at 2am this morning was one of the worst journeys I've made. Driving rain and thick fog. Was very scary :(
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 18, 2012, 12:56:49 PM
Glad you arrived home safely itstime and with any luck, you'll be able to top up your tan next week.  :) 8)
Post by: kalkankiki on July 18, 2012, 03:14:12 PM
I would love to be able to review visitors to Kalkan, having looked after so many over the years. You provide us with good stories. With this in mind, and along with the current heat wave, spare a thought for all those people who work to make your stay in Kalkan a memorable one. The main source of amazement from this side of the fence is the number of self caterers who receive visits from maintenance staff etc, happily keep them talking for half an hour or more, and dont even offer them a drink! In a country where hospitality is taken so importantly, this is noted by all! And as for those who keep you talking in the blazing sun....
Post by: Skunk on July 18, 2012, 03:37:57 PM
Oh so sorry itstime, I knew it was dry in North of England but hadn't appreciated Scotland is so wet - sounds a horrible journey home. Glad you arrived OK though.  :o ::)
Post by: itstime on July 18, 2012, 03:45:11 PM
LOL Skunk don't worry, as I said thankfully I missed the worst of it :)
It's been such an awful year weather wise so far though. Rain, rain, rain and errrr more bloomin rain. Been chucking it down today too though off at the moment and the horrible fog has gone. Strange to think that this time yesterday I was in a lovely pool with the sun blazing down on me ::)
Post by: Skunk on July 18, 2012, 05:53:14 PM
A pox on it all - letw hope it cheers up for those staying over here in August. Worst summer I can rmember ever, and I'm old now!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D :'(
Post by: Chucky on July 18, 2012, 06:18:04 PM
Please keep on topic :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal