Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: itstime on July 08, 2012, 09:52:27 AM

Title: Having a ball !
Post by: itstime on July 08, 2012, 09:52:27 AM
 Well day 5 has begun with the same promise as the previous 4 :)
So far we've actually kept to our pledge of trying some new places and so glad we did.
So far have had dinner in Agora, White Table, Escudo and last night Adam and Eve. (Used to be Omar Sharrifs brothers place  :o) Walked past it over numerous years and always wondered what it would be like. It was lovely. Very simple but food was freshly cooked, tasty and served with a huge smile. The little terrace out the back has a lovely view and delighted that we ventured in.
For lunch we've been to Hunkar a couple of times and Fener, with both living up to their usual high standards

The water hammock has been a resounding success and currently trying to persuade OH to hook up the laptop at the pool, construct a canopy for it to cut out glare so I can watch the Wimbledom final from my hammock in the pool :D He doesn't look too convinced ???

The town itself seems busy and at times quite bustling. Had a good browse through my favourite bag and jewellery shops and have already got my beady eyes on a few treats ;)

Off back to the hammock for a pre lunch snooze :)
Title: Re: Having a ball !
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 08, 2012, 11:27:17 AM
Itstime - your holiday sounds idealic! We will be there in 26 days and can't wait, although have fractured my foot and have to rest it and not drive for the next 3 weeks, so not good timing, but at least they have told me it will be healed for my holiday.

Can you tell me whether Adam and Eve Restaurant is run by Adam, (who is Omar Shariff's son or nephew we think), we met him on holiday last year, and he is quite a character! very entertaining indeed. We knew him as Little Adam! he is about 20ish!

Enjoy the tennis, I will be watching too, with my foot elevated and glass of wine in hand! "Go Federer"!  ;D
Post by: itstime on July 08, 2012, 12:01:27 PM
Hi Bob and Jayne, yes sounds like the same guy. He told us he was 22.

Hmmm if Federer wins I might just have to throw myself from the hammock and have a hissy fit in the pool :(
Fully expect him to though ::) Just watch that foot though and no dancing for joy if you get the result you want ;)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 08, 2012, 12:07:40 PM
Ha ha! Definitely won't be dancing, but will be very happy if Federer wins! Murray's match on Friday was amazing though wasn't it?

Jayne  8)
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 08, 2012, 08:45:43 PM
Sounds like you are having a fab holiday itstime. I can't wait to be on our water hammock too for the first time. I just hope I can get on it and I will follow antlers instructions to the letter! I hope the rest of your holiday is just as great and please keep the reports coming.
Sorry to hear about your ankle Jayne. I hope it heals soon and doesn't spoil your holiday.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 08, 2012, 11:02:58 PM
soooh jealous, itstime! Sounds like you are having a great time - make the most of the gorgeous weather its pretty rubbish in the UK. Gutted for Murray - almost cried with him when he gave his speech at the end :-[
Enjoy the rest of your stay and happy bag shopping :) - keep us informed of your choices!
Bad luck on the foot, Jayne...I know from experience how difficult it is to get round Kalkan with a foot injury. Hope it heals quickly for you and you have a great visit :)
Post by: Skunk on July 08, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
Sounds great itstime - glad you're enjoyi g it.  Sorry to hear about your foot Jayne - hope it's better by the time you get there.  I broke mine a couple of years ago and it didn't take too long to heal so here's crossing my fingers for you.  :( 8)
Post by: itstime on July 09, 2012, 06:57:12 AM
Day 6 has arrived and bloomin heck it's absolutely scorching. Last night was very humid and sticky. Poor son and girlfriend struck down by the dreaded tummy upset. Got a message asking me to go down to their apartment with some supplies and arrived to find a scene like something out of "Casualty" :o
Poor things have got it bad. I duly dispensed some much needed medication, water, and lots of sympathy, while keeping everything crossed that they weren't contagious ???

So far I've escaped :)

So in summary

Number of exceptional dinners 5
Number of exceptional lunches 5
Number of times fell asleep on water hammock errrr  ::)
Number of mozzie bites 0 :D
Number of spider bites 0  :D
Number of "cankles" 2 but now 0 thanks to outstanding chemical intervention  :D
Number of tanned legs 0  :'(  Developing a deep leg tan envy. Why do my little legs refuse to turn that lovely golden colour I see on other people. It's so unfair. Despite spending a small fortune on fancy Gatineau and Elemis so called tanning accelerator, they look like I've been using "factor Duffle Coat" on them  >:( Not sure my legs could spell melanin never mind produce any :(
(to be honest not sure if I've spelt it properly)
Number of handbags lovingly gazed at errrrrrrr  :o

and my final confession
Number of cigarettes smoked following a 3 month abstinence............................several :-[ :-[
I do firmly resolve to kick them again but managed to convince myself that a. they are so cheap here that it would be rude not to buy some and b. the profits of Yali would take a large dip if I didn't invest in several packets and I couldn't have had that on my conscience. OH is none too pleased and think I've totally blown my "well done for stopping smoking handbag treat" from him  :(

Ah well onwards and upwards or should I say onwards and out on to the water hammock :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 09, 2012, 07:57:04 AM
Thanks for all your kind wishes, positive is that I will have more time to read EK! Hope your son and his girlfriend are better today itstime.

Jayne  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 09, 2012, 09:02:37 AM
Great post itstime....shame you fell off the wagon :( BH says the only place he really feels like a cigarette these days (given up for 2 years) is Kalkan so we feel your pain. Hope your son and his girlfriend get better soon....and it doesn't extend to you. Didn't hear of anyone getting the dreaded Turkish Tum whilst we were there so hopefully its an isolated incident.
I do tan, but bloomin eck it takes forever for my legs to turn from white tinged with blue to something resembling brown. They are never commensurate with the rest of my colour but are probably in the sun more than any other part of my body...very strange. So I totally understand your frustration :)
Keep the reports coming...hope you get a bag.
Post by: Skunk on July 09, 2012, 11:43:14 AM
I did laugh at your post Itstime but sorry to hear about the dreaded tummies. :'(  I gave up smoking three and ahalf years ago and the only place I get tempted is there - have resisted so far but you never know!  :o >:D Yup legs often the last to go brown - but what did you use or the cankles?? SX
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 09, 2012, 03:40:28 PM
Skunk, itstime put me on to the same tablets. Go to the pharmacist and show them your fat feet and they will sort you out. They are diuretics (quite strong) - you can only take one every other day and they tell you to drink at least 3 litres of water every day. I was drinking about that much prior to the cankle moment, but it appeared to be making my feet fatter ::) The tablets certainly helped me :)
Post by: Skunk on July 09, 2012, 03:58:57 PM
Yes I am used to giving it to patients and would take care with it.  However it would be worth it for the lack of cankles!!! Great word that!!
Post by: itstime on July 09, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
Lol cankles can go get lost, walking up and downhill is bad enough in the heat without feet which don't bend at the ankle and feel like they're going to burst open ::)

Well son and girlfriend now feeling a bit better despite a few "moments" at lunchtime :o
Got them both "bunged up" with Diacalm ultra and drinking delicious Diorylite sachets ::) Wouldn't normally recommend the diacalm but we're booked for Kekova tomorrow and really don't fancy sharing that journey with them "un-bunged" :o

Clouded over for a bit this afternoon but very very humid. Sun came back quickly and spent the afternoon at the pool on the hammock and apparently managed to miss another earthquake :o
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 09, 2012, 05:42:44 PM
Loving the repots itstime. Enjoy your boat trip tomorrow and hope everyone's well and the diocalm has had the desired effect!!! I want to do kekova this year, never been yet so please report back with all the juicy details.  :)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on July 09, 2012, 05:58:56 PM
Loving the reports itstime. Hope everyones feeling well enough for the Kekova trip! We loved our Kekova trip, we also stopped at Simena which looks lovely as you approach it on the boat. We didn't do the steps to the castle, we just sat in the cafe eating ice cream and drinking iced coffee!
Post by: Skunk on July 09, 2012, 06:40:49 PM
We've been twice and it's definitely worth it.  Abi do a tour where they go to the harbour near Kekova and you have lunch in a restaurant - nice buffet and loads of it, but Adda go from Kas so it's more of a boat trip than Abi.  I see Adda is charging £18 for EK members which is definitely a bargain.  Looks like there's a barbie on the boat with that one.  I hear it is worth going up to Simena as the view and castle are beautiful apparently. You can really see the underground buildings and plenty of amphorae etc.  The most beautiful countryside as well.  Altogether a brilliant day out.  :) :) :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 09, 2012, 07:47:20 PM
Hi Skunk

Can you pre book from the UK with Adda Tours, because that certainly is a good price £18.  It's definitely on our list this year to do.
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on July 09, 2012, 07:47:49 PM
Fab reports Itstime, we returned yesterday and feeling very depressed today  :(.

Jayne, unfortunately I fractured my foot whilst in Kalkan, slipping round the pool so feel your pain. Had to have a cast put on and no swimming in the 90 degree heat was hell !
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on July 09, 2012, 07:51:43 PM
Hi Bob and Jayne, we booked our Kekova trip with Adda tours from the uk but we didn't do it with Ek discount. As Skunk says you go from Kas and it is a full day boat trip with barbie for lunch included.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 09, 2012, 07:52:29 PM
Oh you poor thing, I have sympathy for you. Hope you are not in too much pain.  I have been told with complete rest more or less until the end of July it should be healed in time for our holiday on 3rd August, but no cast because of where it is fractured.  Metatarsal apparently!

Jayne
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 09, 2012, 07:53:40 PM
Hi Nicky

Was it a good day out, and do they collect you from your hotel/apartment or do you have to make your own way to Kas?

Jayne
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on July 09, 2012, 08:06:35 PM
Hi Bob and Jayne, it was a good relaxing day out. Yes they pick you up from your hotel/apartment. We phoned from the uk and booked with Matt then called in on our first day in Kalkan and paid him. It was £25 each.
Nicky.
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 09, 2012, 08:20:44 PM
Thanks Nicky.  Will email them and arrange it.

Jayne
Post by: Babs on July 09, 2012, 09:32:44 PM
What is it with people on this form and feet??  ??? I know what you are going through as I broke a bone in my foot just before going on holiday some years ago....although we were in this country it was really hot (do you remember when we had summer here?) I actually had such a restful holiday as couldn't run around after our then, young children. When they took the cast off I had one brown leg and one hairy white one.....and no, my legs don't tan as well as the rest of me....what's that all about?!
Glad to hear there is something you can do about 'cankles'.....shame I didn't know last week...we got back yesterday and mine had been worse than ever....back to normal now in the lovely cool English weather!!  :'(
Post by: Skunk on July 09, 2012, 09:47:48 PM
Bob and Jayne, I saw the ad for Adda tours Kekova trip on one of their facebook threads - may be search it out, it was about 2-3 weeks ago! I will try and paste it for you.  :-\ ;) ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 09, 2012, 10:09:10 PM
Babs, you're so right :) We definitely have a foot injury jinx on here at the moment :) Lets hope one of us wins the lottery and that runs through us like a dose of salts too ;) Hope you had a good holiday.
Mrs EK, so sorry to hear about your injury - the "no swimming" rule was the hardest thing about my injury. As BH was the catalyst for my unfortunate accident, he went on pool strike with me...until the last day ;D Could have rented my water hammock out and made a fortune ;D ;D
Post by: itstime on July 11, 2012, 07:47:18 AM
Day 8 and thankfully have so far managed to avoid the EK foot curse :)
Hope all your collective feet are well on the mend!

Kekova lived up to it's usual promise of a perfect day out :) As always, did the trip with Abi Travel and everything was perfect from beginning to end. Decided against risking the climb to the castle as didn't want to risk any foot injury ::)
Hmmm that's a lie :-[ didn't go up as usual as I'm far too lazy and much prefer  sitting in the cafe with delicious ice cream :D

I did pretend I was going up and shrieked "last one up's a rotten egg" to a bemused looking group of fellow travellers  :angel:
Planning a quiet day today as tired after the ice cream eating exertions of yesterday though am meeting up with friends this afternoon for home made cocktails on their terrace, and having been on the recieving end of their excellent hospitality over many years am more than a little concerned as to the distintct possibility of falling down and breaking one or both ankles later :o
Post by: Skunk on July 11, 2012, 12:03:35 PM
I emailed yesterday and booked 2 tickets for 20th August - I reckon Monday is a good day as so many change over it could be quite quiet.  I just said I'd pay when we get there.  He has written back to say that's fine.  8) 8) ;D
Post by: itstime on July 15, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
Nearing the end of yet another amazing holiday (collapsing water hammocks aside >:( ) and sitting reflecting on all the wonderful times we've had. Had promised to try some new places this year, being saying that for 16 years  ::) ) but this year we actually did get round to trying some.
As posted earlier we ate in White table, Escudo, Adam and Eve and Agora but then went on to try Deniz, at the harbour and Akdeniz behind the fishmarket. Returned to Saffron, Isos Kitchen, Baharat and Atlantis which was closed last year but thankfully has reopened this year. Have had wonderful food and service in each and every one of them and to be honest I think that if anything the prices are lower than in previous years. Three nights left and plan to head to Akin, Olive Garden and not sure where to go on our last evening. We get picked up around 7 so will have to be early ::)

In all the years I've been visiting Kalkan I've never cooked anything more than a boiled egg for breakfast :-[ so had pledged to have at least one meal at home. With this in mind I issued invitations to our friends and son and girlfriend for a BBQ lunch. I headed off to the fishmarket at 8am this morning and bought some lovely King Prawns, then to the butcher for some lamb, chicken and Kofte. Next stop the greengrocer for the freshest of veg and salad ingredients, then the supermarket for various bits and pieces.
The result was a wonderful afternoon with great company, good food, lots of wine and another memorable experience to store in the "Kalkan happy memory bank"

Off out for dinner now and tomorrow a boat trip. Does life get any better :)

Oh and my friend reminded me today that although we get back home early hours of Wednesday it's only 8 weeks til we return :D
Post by: tortoise lady on July 15, 2012, 06:43:32 PM
I have been much enjoying hearing about your holiday, itstime.   We also tried some new restaurants in June and had good meals everywhere.   I am particularly interested to hear that Atlantis restaurant has reopened (does it have a new name?).   We often had a meal there in the past and were sorry when it closed.   It was handy for us, very short walk, and also good welcome and good food.   I wonder if anyone else on the forum has tried it since it reopened.

About nine weeks before our next Kalkan visit and I have already compiled a list of restaurants for lunch and dinner.   I have had to prune it back a bit as they couldn't all be fitted in even if we had no meals at home.   Like you we have recently discovered the joy of sometimes having a meal at home so have to leave room for that on the list. 
Post by: Skunk on July 15, 2012, 07:05:05 PM
Glad you've had another great holiday in Kalkan Itstime (despite the water hammock moment! ;D) I agree with you that cooking or at least eating at home now and again offers a great value, beautiful and easy alternative to eating out.  Last year we aimed at eating in for one meal a day and nearly succeeded apart from the odd abberation!  Nice to hear Atlantis is open again, we were sad too to hear it had closed. Hope you have a lovely last few days and enjoy your last meal before being condemned to the consistently ghastly weather and the Olympics when you get back.  :'( :o >:( :( ;D
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on July 15, 2012, 09:13:02 PM
Enjoyed your reports itstime, enjoy your last few days and it won't be long before you're back there! Make the most of the sunshine, cold and wet here, feels more like autumn!
Post by: itstime on July 16, 2012, 05:53:24 AM
No name change for Atlantis and also happily no change to the high standard of food and service. Was sad that it seemed to have gone last year but definitely back with a bang :)
Post by: Chucky on July 16, 2012, 05:46:42 PM
The Manager is called Ibo and his english is good......he spent sometime studying in England and the chef is the "original" chef who has come back to the Atlantis. We were very impressed with our meals there in June and wish then well.
Joan
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 16, 2012, 06:19:36 PM
itstime, your holiday seems to have whizzed by in an instant....how lucky you are to be coming back so soon.
Loving your reports, thanks for sharing. Been bag shopping yet...?
Post by: Lizilu20 on July 16, 2012, 06:28:15 PM
Absolutely loved your reports itstime. Hope you get the water hammock replaced!! We will endeavour to try some of your recommended restaurants (added to the never ending list) and definitely do the kekova trip.
Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us and looking forward to reading your next lot in a few weeks time!!  :)
Post by: itstime on July 17, 2012, 06:45:19 AM
Last day :( but the compensation is that I get home to
see my dog Murphy who I love to bits :D and who I miss dreadfully when away, and only about 8 weeks til I come back to Kalkan :D

Get picked up at 6.30 this evening so a full day in the blistering heat to look forward to. Temperature has been outrageously high for the last few days and getting above 50 :o
Had an amazing day on a boat trip yesterday but today will just be about relaxing by the pool.

K4E I have been looking at bags and have decided on a Hermes but can't remember the name ??? Only problem is the detailing is gold and I wanted silver so it's getting made for me. Only decided for definite the other night so have to wait until September to get it. Consoled myself by buying some lovely moonstone pieces of jewellery and a couple of beautiful rings :D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 17, 2012, 08:06:00 AM
Yes loved your reports too itstime, glad you have had a lovely holiday.  What boat trip did you go on yesterday?  Safe journey home, and start counting the days when you get home tomorrow until you return in 8 weeks!  ::)

J
Post by: Skunk on July 17, 2012, 12:11:48 PM
Safe journey its time. Jewellery sounds nice.  Hope Murphy wags his tail for you when you get home.  ;D :) :)
Post by: itstime on July 17, 2012, 01:18:54 PM
Thanks folks :)

Went on Sunset 3 yesterday and was a wonderful day. Would recommend booking at least a few days in advance this year as all the boats were full. We usually just go down the night before and book but everywhere was fully booked so be careful not to leave it too late. Not sure if it's because the temperatures are so high at the moment and people desperate to get out and feel a sea breeze, though to be honest, yesterdays breeze felt more like a hairdryer on a hot setting ::)

Just back from last lunch and returned to Maydem?, it's the small cafe at the end of the little row of shops at the taxi rank, next door to Brave Tours. I think Hunkar has a rival for best value food! The other day I had the biggest pide I've ever seen and today had chicken shis, which was huge, and came with rice, bread and salad, for 8 lira. They also bring a huge salad, bread and meze. Excellent food and service :)

Back off out to the pool now to soak up the last afternoon of sun :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on July 17, 2012, 02:05:44 PM
Itstime.
Sounds like Meydan Adana.
Shhh...... It's on our list, as not far from Samira Garden Hotel.  ::)

B
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal