Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: tortoise lady on May 04, 2012, 11:15:24 AM

Title: Opening for summer
Post by: tortoise lady on May 04, 2012, 11:15:24 AM
On the Korsan Fish Terrace webcam  looks like the tables and chairs are arriving so I guess they will be opening soon.

Alternatif are certainly open - I haven't been out since they opened but have been watching on their webcam to see progress.

I imagine by the end of this week all the restaurants and bars will be open for business.  So as usual anyone going out to Kalkan now will be spoilt for choice on where to eat and drink.    I am getting my list of "must go to" places written out.   So far there are already too many on the list.   Same problem every visit.   
Title: Re: Opening for summer
Post by: Bob & Jayne on May 04, 2012, 11:51:46 AM
Yes we are making a list too tortoise lady, and are so looking to visiting them all!

Jayne
Post by: Skunk on May 04, 2012, 01:38:28 PM
Me too!!
Post by: dshiels on May 04, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
I compiled my "must visit" list but there are too many on it for our two weeks so back to the drawing board on my "definitely must visit" list!
Post by: Rachey on May 04, 2012, 10:51:26 PM
Love it!  We have our favourites that we return to year after year, but the best fun is trying places for the first time.  Sade on the list I think as well as otantik (authentic), and who knows where else?  :laugh:  Loving seeing the reviews come in, but what one person loves another might loathe so we just tend to go where the mood takes us...cannot wait  :D
Post by: seasick on May 05, 2012, 03:21:31 PM
fish terrace opens 10th may
signs are outside....
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 05, 2012, 08:36:42 PM
Also have the list sorted! Want to try some new ones this year.
Post by: samson on May 07, 2012, 06:43:09 AM
went to sade last night. it was brilliant! sade special chicken was amazing!  :)
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 07, 2012, 05:43:19 PM
Sade is on our list as it gets so many good recommendations.
Post by: Skunk on May 07, 2012, 08:01:51 PM
fish terrace opens 10th may
signs are outside....
I saw tables being made up today on the Korsan Live Webcam!  :D :D :D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on May 09, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
Just been trying to compile a list using input from here and Trip Advisor site. So far come up with:
Trio, Sade, Mussakka , Korsan Fish  and Adam's Place, trip advisor rates Aqua Cafe /Bar as #1 but not seen any mention of it on here. What are you veterans views on this Kalkan virgins list so far. Any advice welcomed, I do enjoy local food as opposed to standard holidaymaker dishes.
Post by: Skunk on May 09, 2012, 12:08:14 PM
If you like real Turkish food try some of the Lokantas up at the top end of town near the moonlight bar.  That is where the Turks eat!  Also, Oz Adana which has moved up the hill this year - you can see the position on the KTLN website map which shows where all the restaurants are. Sandals is said to be good but I haven't tried it yet.  Doy Doy has been there an awful long time and I think a lot of what they do is fairly authentic, including a sort of Tagine type casserole in a classic metal dish.  Just a few suggestions but there are so many to choose from you will be spoilt for choice! SX  ??? ??? :laugh:
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 09, 2012, 12:28:34 PM
Good list Pompeyalbie! I believe Aqua cafe is right at the top of Kalamar road, nr Cafe Vita.
It will be our 3rd visit next month and we have a few 'new ones' we want to try. We can recommend Chillies for Turkish food as well. Beautiful food and really good value for money. Sade is also on our list as it gets so many recommendations.
Post by: alantj on May 09, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
It you are going to Patara to visit the beach, or tour the ruins, be sure to add Tloss (turn right into Patara village and its 50m on your left) to your list. Its probably the best/most authentic Turkish food you will find and ridiculously cheap.

You could also try the Rose restaurant which has some interesting Eastern Tiurkish dishes and the best Meze we have found in Kalkan.

Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 09, 2012, 09:09:38 PM
My first 'Thankyou count'!! Yaaayyy, happy days!!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 09, 2012, 09:11:15 PM
Here..have another!! :-*
Post by: hobbo on May 09, 2012, 09:59:09 PM
Just been trying to compile a list using input from here and Trip Advisor site. So far come up with:
Trio, Sade, Mussakka , Korsan Fish  and Adam's Place, trip advisor rates Aqua Cafe /Bar as #1 but not seen any mention of it on here. What are you veterans views on this Kalkan virgins list so far. Any advice welcomed, I do enjoy local food as opposed to standard holidaymaker dishes.

Not sure how Cafe Aqua manages that... yes its a good Cafe (IMO not as good as Vita) but not the same league as the Restaurants mentioned above. Every time I pass Vita is much busier than Aqua.

Post by: samson on May 10, 2012, 07:29:56 AM
 :-\ someone told me they were offered a free drink to put a posting on trip advisor!!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 10, 2012, 02:31:09 PM
Can I just make it perfectly clear, I've never been offered a free water hammock :o :o ;D
Post by: iyiislamlar on May 10, 2012, 03:00:30 PM
Agree with alantj about TLOSS in Patara. We always have a week in Patara on the way to Kakan and it really is good.There is no liquor licence though but you are welcome to take your own and they provide the glasses and openers!
Just go to Jimmy's (Harrods of Patara) around the corner on the main road to the Beach and he sells all the alcohol you could possibly want. Last year we ran out of wine, 2 bottles between 4 dont go far do they? so I phoned him as I had his card and he delivered some more!.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 10, 2012, 05:13:11 PM
Thanks Bluelizard!!! ;) :) :) :)
Post by: Lantana on May 10, 2012, 05:39:10 PM
For really authentic Turkish cooking  - offering dishes you will  not find on any restaurant menu, there are two quite exceptional small places in Kalkan.  In both cases, the traditional recipes are those of the owner's family, refined over generations and the food is cooked by the owners mothers. They are passionate about food, and only use local ingredients

Both these restaurants offer the simple, yet delicious dining experience you could find in Kalkan ten or more years ago before Kalkan became the sophisticated resort it is today.

The first is the Moonlight Terrace Restaurant above the Moonlight Pansiyon (not connected to Moonlight bar)  at the start of the Kalamar Road on the left hand side, just past the turning where chillies restaurant is located. The view from the terrace is stunning, an almost 360 degree panorama of all Kalkan,  the mountains and sea. There are only about seven tables, so it's always worth booking.  There is a small set menu with a choice of four or five starters and main courses and several delicious traditional Turkish desserts.  Last year the 3 course set menu was just over 30 lira per head, the two course about 27 lira.

The other place is Cafe Leon, in the heart of old Kalkan, where Levent's mother Hamide cooks wonderful, Turkish food every day and once a week they have a Turkish evening, when Hamide prepares a surprise menu of authentic Turkish dishes, always delicious  .Again it's a small place so you should book.

Both are fully licensed.

In fact we are going there this evening so will report back on what we ate tomorrow.

Afiyet Olsun

Lantana
Post by: Charlie on May 10, 2012, 05:52:56 PM
Aspendos in Patara is also fab for food and they do have a licence to sell alcohol.  The owner is the brother of the guy who owns Tlos.  Definitely worth a try.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 10, 2012, 08:35:22 PM
Look forward to your report Lantana on Cafe leon as this is on our list for June, a definite for lunch as we are staying at the Pirat and i believe Cafe leon is not far from the hotel, and we also fancy trying the Turkish evening.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 11, 2012, 01:45:19 PM
Nicky, you have to pop along for there for afternoon tea and cakes....the best carrot cake ever  ;D
This is my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Post by: alantj on May 11, 2012, 04:06:25 PM
Hi kalkan4eva,

I am  thinking about getting a water hammock but would it does fit in a standard (i.e. the biggest allowed) hand luggage bag.

Regards

alan
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 11, 2012, 05:18:31 PM
The afternoon tea and cakes sounds a very good idea!! :) :)
Post by: Lantana on May 11, 2012, 05:29:04 PM
Holmfirth Nicky

Cafe Leon is a three minute walk from the Pirat, up the flight of steps beside the Pirat old building.

On Wednesday evening we had a wonderful meal.  The first course was a plate of mezze with 9 different selections including mercimek kofte (spicy lentil kofte) mucver, (courgette and herb fritters) and a beetroot puree which was so delicious that I could have eaten several helpings and I am not even a beetroot fan.

The main course was Tere kofte.  This is thin slices of prime beef, rolled together into a cigar shape, braised in a richly aromatic and full flavoured tomato and herb sauce and served with sebzeli bulgur, which is cooked in stock with a variety of vegetables.  The beef was delicious and melted in the mouth and the bulgur was the perfect accompaniment, light and bursting with flavour.

At this point, we thought we could eat no more but simply couldn't resist the last course, Revani, which is a Turkish sponge, made with semolina and lemon and soaked in a sugar sauce.  It is not overly sweet as the flavour of the lemons cuts any undue sweetness but succulently moist and again, melts in the mouth. It was served with vanilla ice cream.

The Turkish food evening is every Thursday. Each week Hamide prepares a different menu.  The three course meal is 40 lira per head.  Wonderful value for  a really special dining experience and great atmosphere.

We'll be there again next week.

Lantana

The menu changes each week

Post by: Lantana on May 11, 2012, 05:46:32 PM
Just to be clear, we were there last night, Thursday, not Wednesday as I said in my previous post.  We never have a clue which day of the week it is here but looking forward to having  a relaxing day tomorrow, Sunday!

Lantana
Post by: Lizilu20 on May 11, 2012, 06:10:45 PM
Oh Lantana, that menu sounds delicious, definitely on our to do list for July. How wonderful for you to not know/care what day it is!!! Bring on retirement!!  ;D thanks so much for posting.
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 11, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
Thanks for the post Lantana, sounds fabulous, will have to give that a go!!
Can you ask for a choice of meat do you know as i prefer my chicken?
Thanks, Nicky.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 11, 2012, 07:18:45 PM
alantj, I think I've posted on another thread somewhere that the water hammock folds into a bag (included) that is approx 2ft square. Not sure how that compares with the standard hand luggage dimensions but I always bring a ginormous bag onto the aircraft as I have to pack all my blingy foowear to save on hold luggage weight that feels bigger than that ::)
Lantana, you've convinced us to try Cafe Leon for the Turkish Night - sounds lovely :)
Post by: Lantana on May 11, 2012, 07:44:34 PM
Hi Holmforth Nicky

When you make your reservation, you will be asked if you have any particular prefences or dislikes and the menu is planned accordingly . So if you wanted chicken rather than lamb or beef, Hamide  would tailor the menu to suit you.

Lizilu, retirement is wonderful but somehow we never have enough time in the day to do all the things we had (foolishly) planned.  We talked about this at lunch today  with good friends who also took early retirement and all of us agree that  no matter what sacrifices you might have to make, give up work as soon as you possibly can.  We all had jobs which were enjoyable and satisfying but our lives are so much richer since we stopped working and every moment of every day is cherished and appreciated.

We do know how very lucky we are.

Lantana
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 11, 2012, 08:02:58 PM
Many thanks Lantana.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal