Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: dshiels on February 24, 2012, 01:31:02 PM

Title: Safe Airport Transfer
Post by: dshiels on February 24, 2012, 01:31:02 PM
I want to book our airport transfer for mid-May in the next week or so as that will be another thing of the list! 

The last time we had a private transfer to Kalkan (booked by our accommodation) it was a scary experience.  I won't name the company, however going to Kalkan it was a night time transfer and the driver brought someone with him to, in his words, "keep him awake".  That didn't work as both the driver and his friend fell asleep on more than one occasion!  The return journey was slightly better as it was daytime, although the driver either through he was Ayrton Senna, or he wanted to end up like him.  Let's just say it was an adventure and not one we are keen to repeat!

This year we have our baby daughter with us so safety is paramount as is reliability of the service.  Who should we consider and who should we avoid!  I have been looking at Adda tours due to their association with EK.  Has anyone had issues.

Thanks
Title: Re: Safe Airport Transfer
Post by: baklavabuddy on February 24, 2012, 02:41:35 PM
I recommend Abi Travel
Post by: kalkanbelle on February 24, 2012, 03:22:45 PM
I would recommend ABI Travel.  We have used them for the past 6 years without a problem.  They provide a safe, courteous and reliable service all round.
Post by: Cuddles on February 24, 2012, 03:50:48 PM
Abi travel without a doubt are the ones to book. We have used them countless times in the past 11 years and, (touch wood), never been let down. Plus, their drivers are courteous and always drive within the speed limits. http://www.abitravel.net
Post by: Ryss on February 24, 2012, 04:27:04 PM
Was considering that company for a transfer also, the recommendations are definitely useful, thanks :)
Post by: Roxie on February 24, 2012, 04:30:00 PM
Hi,
We use BraveTours. Very good, but we have friends who are very pleased with Abi!
Rx
Post by: dshiels on February 24, 2012, 04:33:31 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.  Abi seems to be the consensus!
Post by: turkeyfan on February 24, 2012, 04:47:34 PM
We've used Enes and they've always been great.
Post by: itstime on February 24, 2012, 05:19:42 PM
Always been Abi for us too :)
Post by: Charlie on February 24, 2012, 06:04:59 PM
BraveTours.  Complimentary water and freshenup towels, very welcome after the flight.  New vehicles and very careful, considerate, uniformed drivers.  Highly recommend them.
Post by: onelove on February 24, 2012, 06:22:36 PM
We too have always used Abi Travel. First class service. Never had the slightest problem in 5 years.
Post by: Skunk on February 24, 2012, 07:35:27 PM
Abi travel for us deffo.  Always reliable, and once our daughter missed her flight (too long a story!!) and we were waiting up for her to arrive at 3am.  The guys came and told us she hadn't turned up at 3am ish that night.  Also Linda and the gang are super efficient - never let us down!
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 25, 2012, 01:33:11 PM
Like Turkeyfan, we use Enes. Complimentary cold water and sweets and incredibly safe comfortable journeys - even at night. I think in terms of cost they are all pretty much on a par.
Post by: yoyo on February 25, 2012, 04:07:44 PM
Always Abi for me too
Post by: dshiels on February 25, 2012, 04:46:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Been reading through a lot of old threads in relation to transfers and car hire and we are actually now considering hiring a car for the two weeks.  We had originally intended to hire a car for 3 or 4 days while in Kalkan to get out and about but when I do the maths, there isn't much difference.

Option 1 (transfer & car hire for a few days)
Transfer £140
Car Hire (4 days @ £30/day) £120
Total £260

Option 2 (car hire for 14 days)
Car Hire (dalamancars.com) for 14 days £260 for a Toyota Corolla
Childseat £10
Total £270

Obviously not an exact comparison as we have the additional cost of fuel which I assume would take about £20 each way.

We have done the transfer a few times now so I'm happy enough to drive it especially as its during the day. 

We are staying in the new Truffle Apartments at Asfiya retreat so with having the little one the car will definitely be useful for popping in and out of the supermarkets and also lets us do a few different things without having to rely on the dolmus etc with a baby.

If anyone has any comments then please feel free to share, especially in relaton to Dalamancars.  I would prefer to use one of the more local companies but dalamancars are significantly cheaper and seem to get decent reports/reviews.

Many thanks
Post by: pw on February 25, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
I used Dalaman Cars last year for the first time and will do again this year. They are absolutely fine.

PW
Post by: Begonvil on February 25, 2012, 05:37:30 PM
Abi every time for us!
Post by: amber on February 26, 2012, 05:34:16 AM
I would recommend Abbi Travel.The drivers are always very careful,helpful,polite and good timekeeping.They have never let us down.
Post by: Skunk on February 26, 2012, 12:30:22 PM
Quite a few people who live there some of the time seem to use Bravetours, but I don't know if they are any better than anyone else?
Post by: Charlie on February 26, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
dshiels I think you would get a car from Bravetours for around the same price end May/ June. My preference would be to use a local company just in case anything was to happen and at least they would be there to help out, support you. They have child seats and are inc in the price.  They also offer a service were the driver will drive you to and from the airport for a very small fee if you have any concerns.  Email the owner Mustafa directly on Samira.h@superonline.com quoting the price you've already received. Personally I wouldn't go past the service they offer and I feel it is important to support local businesses.
Post by: Kalkankiwi on February 26, 2012, 05:02:34 PM
Hi,

Agree that usually best to use a local company but agree that Dalaman Cars are very competitive, especially away from the main tourist season of July to September. We have used Dalaman cars twice now over the last couple of years and they have been excellent. The other company we use and recommend is Enes whose cars and mini buses are excellent. We have used them for both car hire and transfers and recommend  them to our guests and friends who also love Kalkan. We have also used Enes when flying to Antalya, again for both car hire and transfers. Both Enes (Emin) and Dalaman cars (John) have English speaking reps.

KK
Post by: dshiels on February 26, 2012, 06:00:36 PM
Thanks Charlie and KK for the suggestions.

I will email a few of the local companies tomorrow with the price we have had and see what they can do.  I don't mind paying a bit more but £120 is too much of a difference.

Can anyone recommend where I can pick up a decent road map for the Kalkan area?  I'm happy getting from the airport to Kalkan but if we have a car I'd like to explore the local area and head off into the mountains.  We did this before when we hired a car for a day but without the comfort of a map we didnt go too far.  Alternatively are the satnav maps any good if I bought one with Turkey mapping?

Thanks again everyone
Post by: Kalkan regular on February 26, 2012, 09:28:27 PM
Dalaman cars prices are excellent but if you book with them make sure you inspect the car very closely on collection. We were charged for 'damage to the underside' when we returned the car at the airport (actually ouside the departure doors and not in much of a position to argue). The car had a front bumper that went right under the car, which we certainly didn't get down really, really low and inspect when we collected the car. There were a few very light scratches underneath the bumper, which you needed to almost be on your knees to see, which we were sure we didn't cause as we hadn't driven over rough roads, over kerbs, etc. In 6 years of car hire 3 times a year in Turkey, about 40 weeks in total, and many times of car hire elsewhere in the world it is the only time we have been charged for anything.
I'm not saying don't use them but if you do make sure you are meticulous in checking for damage when you collect the car.
Post by: onelove on February 27, 2012, 06:13:58 AM
I have used Dalaman cars a few times ( out of season ) and had no trouble at all, albeit, great advise from Kalkan Regular....always check, you have been warned  8) >:D 8)
Post by: dshiels on February 27, 2012, 08:37:25 AM
I guess that is the problem with hire cars, there is always the potential for issues like that to crop up.  Would the insurance not have covered any damage (if it was caused by you) or does it only cover actual accidents?

I have only previously hired a car once on holidays so I'm not totally sure of the pitfalls of hire car insurance and what is/isn't insured as it all seems to be a bit of a minefield!
Post by: kalkan4eva on February 27, 2012, 01:39:39 PM
dshiels, you can buy a map from Desti's book shop which is right opposite Abi Travel in the village. I thought there was a post on here telling you that, but it seems to have disappeared  ???
Post by: Cuddles on February 27, 2012, 02:38:19 PM
Car hire insurance in Turkey and Greece tends not to cover damage to the tyres and wheels or, the underside of the vehicle.

A few years ago, a young couple drove at speed over the spikes at the entrance to the village. Four new wheels and tyres must have cost them a fortune.
Post by: Roxie on February 27, 2012, 03:05:34 PM
Hi,
The price with Brave Tours for us included the transfer. We had to pay the car park fee and the Gocek toll!
Cheers
Rx
Post by: dshiels on February 28, 2012, 04:47:18 PM
Looks like we are back to the transfer option as when back to Dalamancars to book, the prices had increased so we stick with hiring a car in Kalkan when we need it and just getting an airport transfer so thanks for the recommendations. 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal