Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: samson on January 09, 2012, 04:43:46 PM

Title: new 180 day visa
Post by: samson on January 09, 2012, 04:43:46 PM
its all gone quiet again regarding the new visa due to start on feb 1st. nothing on the embassy page about the change as far as i can see. presume it is still going ahead?  ???
Title: Re: new 180 day visa
Post by: onelove on January 10, 2012, 03:13:15 PM
Hi Ianb,

There is a report on the new 90/180 visa rules on KTLN. It explains everything is laymans terms. 8)
Post by: samson on January 10, 2012, 04:32:34 PM
 ??? yes thanks read it. still in the dark about the def date it will start though which is what i was hoping would be confirmed. oh well it is turkey!
Post by: Roxie on January 10, 2012, 10:40:02 PM
Yes Ian would love an update!!
Post by: Charlie on January 10, 2012, 10:59:10 PM
Just had a look on KTLN and it seems if I go 6th April (Good Friday), return in July and then back again Sept/Oct I must be out of Turkey by Wednesday 3rd Oct at the very latest.  That's a period of 180 days. Now just need flights to tie in with that!
Post by: Bdancer on January 11, 2012, 10:40:34 AM
I can see a lot of tourists who come 2 or 3 times a year, especially anyone who comes early on and again late summer/autumn, being caught out by this 180 day ruling. At first I thought it just meant you could not stay more than 90 days in any 180 days, but after reading the KTLN guide it's not that simple. People will need to look carefully at their flight timings. Hopefully the airlines will post detailed information on their websites, once its all confirmed....
Isis
Post by: Charlie on January 11, 2012, 01:49:48 PM
Hi Isis like you, I too thought we could stay 90 days out of 180 - obviously not.  As you say careful planning required for several visits.  :(
Post by: leesyloo on January 11, 2012, 05:48:24 PM
Sorry but call me stupid or thick but I just don't get it.  I fly to Kalkan on May 19th for 2 weeks then again in July for 10 days then on 8th Sept for 2 weeks.....total of 38 days.  Each time I would normally buy a new visa.  Will one visa cover 3 trips, am I allowed 3 trips in 5 months?  Duh!! Help please.
Post by: kevincat99 on January 11, 2012, 07:33:13 PM
Surely it means that the Visa period is fixed at 180 days from the day you purchase it - it is not a moving 180 days

So within that fixed 180 day period you are allowed to stay for no more than 90 days broken down into as many periods as you want - but 90 days in total

On the day the fixed period ends you have to leave Turkey then return and only then you can  purchase another visa

Is that it?
Post by: Charlie on January 11, 2012, 10:29:42 PM
Kevincat99 that is my understanding of the visa.  Basically the 180 days starts the day you buy your visa but you cannot over stay that 180 days unless you leave the country ie visit Meis renew your visa and return to Turkey.  So the problem would be if one of your holidays strides the 180th day - I think!
Leesyloo my understanding is you can holiday for your 38 days (up to 90 days) but your holidays should fall within the 180 days and if this is the case the 1 visa will cover your three trips.
Post by: Cuddles on January 11, 2012, 10:40:25 PM
Sorry but call me stupid or thick but I just don't get it.  I fly to Kalkan on May 19th for 2 weeks then again in July for 10 days then on 8th Sept for 2 weeks.....total of 38 days.  Each time I would normally buy a new visa.  Will one visa cover 3 trips, am I allowed 3 trips in 5 months?  Duh!! Help please.

Leesyloo, my wife says I have a sorry 'butt', is that close enough to be able to call you?

From the information that is available, it looks like Kevincat99 has the correct interpretation of the new rules.

The problems with multiple entries in 180 days will start when you take winter as well as spring and autumn holidays. But they are not insurmountable, (famous last words) it just requires a little advanced planning and a calendar.
Post by: Cuddles on January 11, 2012, 10:53:57 PM
Kevincat99 that is my understanding of the visa.  Basically the 180 days starts the day you buy your visa but you cannot over stay that 180 days unless you leave the country ie visit Meis renew your visa and return to Turkey.  So the problem would be if one of your holidays strides the 180th day - I think!
Leesyloo my understanding is you can holiday for your 38 days (up to 90 days) but your holidays should fall within the 180 days and if this is the case the 1 visa will cover your three trips.

"Under that 90/180 day visa system, irrespective of how many of your 90 days you have used up, you must leave on the 180th day.  On day 181, and not before, you can apply for another visa."

Actually, I do not think that you will be able to do the Meis day trip mid stay. From the above, posted on KTLN, it suggests that you have to leave Turkey on the 180th day and re-enter and start a new 180 day period the next day. So, that means overnighting on Meis. OMG! what a mess this is becoming.
Post by: kevincat99 on January 12, 2012, 07:26:39 AM

It will be interesting to see if you are allowed to purchase another Visa before the 180 days runs out ??

If not and you are here on the date that you need to renew it and have to leave the country for that purpose, it could leave things very tight :(
Post by: Charlie on January 12, 2012, 08:25:17 AM
Yes I think you're right KC - it cannot be renewed before 180 days.  That's what I meant about going to Meis but forgot about not being allowed back into Turkey until the 181st day (first day of new visa) so looks like an overnight stay is required.  Looks good for Greek businesses!
Post by: Enişte on January 12, 2012, 09:52:08 AM
I still think this change is very short-sighted by the local authorities.  All it means is that they will be almost halving their takings.  The 'visa' has never really been a visa (what background info do you have to provide to get it, other than a sneaky tenner in the passport, frowned on at most immigration control points?!) more just a tourist tax.  We must wait and see whether it will be postponed again.
Post by: kevincat99 on January 12, 2012, 01:56:39 PM
It won't affect the revenue from tourists who only come for the usual 14 day holiday anyway just those who come maybe a couple of time during the season

So I would have thought no great changes at all

p.s I only posted this useless reply so that I now have the same number of posts as you at 834

Do you think that is a little sad  ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 12, 2012, 03:18:41 PM
Yes, KC, very sad :-*
I think the loss of income would be from multiple-visit tourists only needing one 180 day visa per year instead of two 90 day ones. We've been in May and returned in September and have purchased a second visa for the later visit. Under the new rules we won't need a second visa, thus depriving the Turkish Authorities of further £20. I think, like Eniste, they will start to do some sums and realise the implications
Post by: Enişte on January 13, 2012, 09:17:08 AM
KC99 - very!
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 01, 2012, 09:33:16 AM
Reported on KTLN that the new regulations come into effect today 1st feb 2012
Post by: samson on March 09, 2012, 07:15:10 AM
just read on todays zaman that the visa policy is now to be eased. the ministry of internal affairs has made a change enabling the 3 month tourist visa to be extended for an additional 6 months. also anyone staying at the moment who's visa has expired will be able to extend their visa to 9 months after paying a fine!
seems they can not make their mind up again!!! ???
Post by: Cosetta on March 09, 2012, 03:13:28 PM
This is not exactly the information I just received from the US Embassy.  The new regulatıon will be the same for Brits.  Comes to the same conclusion but is not automatic. 

This is what was sent:

" [U.S.] citizens who enter Turkey with a tourist visa obtained at a Turkish Consulate or who buy a tourist visa stamp at an airport or other port of entry or who are exempt from getting tourist visas, are now able to get a residence permit for tourism purposes for a maximum period of six months by applying at the Foreigner’s Police Office.

Foreigners who have overstayed their visas, residence permits, or visa exempt periods and are subject to a fine can also benefit from the residence permit procedure as long as they pay the related fines.

When the new regulations allowing foreigners to stay in Turkey for a maximum of 90 days within a 180 day period became effective on February 1, 2012, it also became officially possible for foreigners who come to Turkey as tourists to get a six month valid residence permit. According to these regulations U.S. citizens who wish to stay in Turkey for tourism purposes longer than 90 days, and who apply at the appropriate Foreigner’s Police Office, will be allowed to stay legally in Turkey for up to a total of 9 months. "

Post by: lijah on April 01, 2012, 03:00:00 PM
Please could someone tell me what the KTLN site is
Post by: hobbo on April 01, 2012, 03:17:28 PM
KTLN is Kalkan Turkey Local News..
Google KTLN and I am sure you will find it.
Post by: Skunk on April 01, 2012, 03:19:49 PM
It's the Kalkan Turkey Local News site, run by a local English guy Jon (aka Top Cat) - he features local news, events etc and does a regular page on What's New in Kalkan.  Plus some 360 photos and very good live webcams. Check it out  :) :)
Post by: lijah on April 03, 2012, 09:44:27 AM
Thanks hobbo & skunk have now found it Seems bad news for me as I have already booked my flights this year and find my visa will expires half way through my second visit.I had been hoping that as I had been out of Turkey for 120 days between visit i would be allowed to buy a new visa on my second visit.As I read it this is not so
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal