Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: lilly on November 12, 2007, 10:29:54 AM

Title: New Year
Post by: lilly on November 12, 2007, 10:29:54 AM
Hi Everyone, We will be in Kalkan, with another couple, over New Year. Can anyone recommend a restaurant with good food and a bit of atmosphere on New Years Eve. Thanks
Title: Re: New Year
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 12, 2007, 11:21:17 AM
some of our friends who live in kalkan went to the Kaya last year...they intend to do the same this year ;)
Post by: Kalkan Magic on November 12, 2007, 01:37:43 PM
Hi lilly
We had a great time last new year at Aubergine. It was very busy with all tables taken and the log fires burning etc. They did small bonfires outside too and at midnight gave everyone sparklers etc and had a firework display at the harbour which was lovely. We would definitely recommend!
Post by: clooneyrooney on November 12, 2007, 07:24:26 PM
I am really envious of you spending the New Year in Kalkan. It sounds like it will be lovely.
We have just purchased tickets today to spend my New Years Eve at a children soft play activity centre (my sons are now aged 13 and 10) in my home town so that all our family and friends can be together. Oh to win the lottery so that we could spend New Years Eve in Kalkan with all our family and friends!!!!!!!!
We''ll be thinking of you. :laugh:
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 12, 2007, 07:51:20 PM
i am working shifts all over xmas and the New year,but on the bright side it will pay for next years hols....hoooray!!! ;)
Post by: jackshudds on November 13, 2007, 09:17:42 AM
Hi all, on the same subject , we are going out for Christmas , does anybody know where we would be able to eat on Christmas day , I assume that the same retaurants i.e Aubergine ,Coast etc will be open? Can anybody point me in the direction of any others that may be open?

Are there a few people around at Christmas or is it very quiet?

Either way, we are looking forward to a change from the usual chaotic Christmas we have here.Also some lovely Turkish food - even if I have to cook it myself!
Post by: Kalkan Magic on November 13, 2007, 03:51:19 PM
Hi jackshudds
The main restaurants that are open over the Christmas period are Kaya, Aubergine, Sofra and Korsan Kepab. There should be a few other smaller ones open and Ali Babas is open as usual. In October a few others said that they were considering opening in winter so you never know.  I think Kaya, Aub and Sofra would be fine for xmas day though when we spoke to Kadir at Kaya in Oct he had already had quite a few bookings so it would be worth emailing them if there are a few of you.  Good luck.
Post by: jackshudds on November 13, 2007, 05:34:44 PM
Thank you.Can you tell me where Kaya is and do you have contact details please?
Post by: felicity on November 13, 2007, 06:03:22 PM
Kaya is just off the 2nd roundabout from town on the road leading up to the thursday market on the right hand side - opposite what is now Breeze Restaurant actually on the roundabout (currently closed for winter).  Sorry I don''t know the telephone number but somebody will...   ;)
Post by: Tatilde on November 13, 2007, 06:07:39 PM
www.kayarestaurantkalkan.com
Post by: Cruisecontroller on November 13, 2007, 07:11:43 PM
Breeze, which is directly opposite Kaya will also be open.  Ali Babas will be operating a reduced menu.
Post by: felicity on November 13, 2007, 07:19:11 PM
Hi Les - so will Breeze be re-opening then??  They looked very firmly closed for the winter and even if they do open - they are mostly open air so I would have thought it would be a bit chilly unless they close the top and sides in like the Kaya does..???  ??? ???
Post by: sandarra on November 13, 2007, 11:02:30 PM
Which Tour Operators fly Man - DLM in December?  Reading all these suggestions has made me also want to go, but I can''t find any flights  :-(
Sandra
Post by: doug46b on November 13, 2007, 11:43:09 PM
Spoke to Erkan from Breeze on Sunday they will not be opening  :( :(
Post by: felicity on November 14, 2007, 08:45:41 AM
Sandarra - try holidays4U, Aegean flights.co.uk and thomas cook...!!   ;)

Mmmm - shame about Breeze (although I thought it would be difficult to see how they could open...!!) coz I never got to try that place in the summer - oh well - another restaurant to try next year...   >:D
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on November 14, 2007, 10:52:37 AM
Have you tried the EnjoyKalkan Flight Checker.........

http://www.enjoykalkan.com/cms/index.php?page=flights

Shows you all the flights from all the airports
Post by: Cruisecontroller on November 14, 2007, 04:52:50 PM
Hi felicity, We spoke to Erkan on 3rd October and he said he was going to close down for one month and then re-open for xmas as he had nothing better to do, obviously he has since had a change of mind.  Sorry to have built your hopes up.
Les
Post by: KalkanPosh on November 16, 2007, 06:34:36 PM
Just to add that apparently ''Trio'' is open for New Year (& possibly Christmas Day) and has taken bookings. Think the harbour area will be quite a lively place to be! Looking forward to flying out on 23rd December for two weeks for Christmas and New Year. Hoping to fit in a trip to Cappadocia too! See you in Kalkan! :angel:
Post by: felicity on November 16, 2007, 06:38:28 PM
Ooohh kalkanposh - you lucky thing - that should have been us this year..!!  :(  Hoping to go to cappadoccia too sometime so will be interested if you do get there and if there is snow at this time of year..!!???  ???
Post by: lilly on November 21, 2007, 11:59:48 AM
Hi everyone, I have just booked the Aubergine for New Years Eve ;D I''m so looking forward to seeing Kalkan and getting out and about in the Winter. We are going to hire a car and tour around the area. Would anyone have any recomendations? maybe places to vist or restaurants to eat in at lunch time. It would be nice to have a few things planned and make the most of our time in Kalkan.
Title: Re: Christmas and New Year
Post by: Harry on December 12, 2007, 05:36:16 PM
Ali tells me he is opening KAPTAN RESTAURANT for dining and dancing from 20 - 31 December, with traditional dinner and all the trimmings on Christmas Day. Good food and great music. I''ll be there.
Post by: Del on December 29, 2007, 01:45:51 PM
Hi all, just returned today 29th Dec after spending 7 days over Christmas in Kalkan. The following bars/restaurants are open:-
Kaya, Doysun, Utopia, Sofra, Istanbul, Ibo''s,Evo''s, Akin [just opened yesterday], Jasmine Garden, Aubergine & Trio.
This list is not meant to be exhaustive & if I''ve missed anyone I''m sorry, I thought it might be useful to anyone going to Kalkan in the near future.
We celebrated our friends anniversary at Trio''s last night & what a great night it was, thanks to Ali & the guys. Ali did say he was closing on 15th Jan.
Temparature on Friday 28th Dec was 23C, back home now & shivering like a wimp!
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on December 29, 2007, 05:46:55 PM
Lucky you, we have to wait until April for our ''fix''. How was Kalkan at Christmas? Was it busy? We are debating whether to go one year. It looks like more and more restaurants are opening now.

Julie
Post by: Del on December 29, 2007, 06:34:23 PM
Hi Julie. This was the first christmas we spent in Kalkan, certainly worth going for a week. We were blessed with great weather which obviously helps.
There was not a lot of building going on,not compared to Feb 06 when we were there to finalise on our Tapu. The town certainly does not look its best at the moment, the hill to the Pirat hotel is still a mess but hopefully this will be cleaned up & repaired shortly. More people seemed to be arriving for New year than Christmas, the feel in the restaurants at evening time is great, much more intimate than summer.
Soon be April............

Derek.
Post by: DRBD on December 30, 2007, 05:14:33 PM
We too have just returned from Kalkan having spent a really super Christmas, as mentioned by Del the weather was fantastic together with the atmosphere.   The restaurants down by the harbour really made the effort by putting up fairy lights and displaying an animated Father Christmas in various shapes and sizes making different sounds or singing songs, the party hats etc were also out in large numbers. We were indeed very lucky to have had such a good week.  It made up for the 5hrs delay at Gatwick for our departure, but we arrived to a beautiful sunrise seen from the air and the journey back to Kalkan was lovely, very green, the snow capped mountains, kept us awake.   :)

Would certainly advise anyone interested in going at this time to give it a try, ok the weather could be very different but at least as have mentioned before its a lovely area to been seen at different times of the year, the wild flowers in the fields stunning, the oranges on the trees etc.

We cooked our own Christmas meal, turkey & all the trimmings which, having had a day out, drinks later on with some friends, we sat down to in the evening infront of our huge log fire and a bottle or two - shear bliss  - and Father Christmas came with prezzies   ;)

We were out in January this year and had similar weather although it did rain on our last day with a vengeance.

Post by: chris on January 02, 2008, 07:05:56 PM
Thanks great news to hear that the weather was good
i am going out on the 5th jan .
does anyone know if the istanbul was open it is in the side stree by the moonlight
thanks
chris
Post by: Kim on January 02, 2008, 07:51:19 PM
Hi Chris,

Check out Del''s post on this thread and it is on the list of restaurant''s open.  It''s one of our favourites too, but will have to wait a few months before we get back.  ENJOY!
Post by: Begonvil on January 03, 2008, 05:05:03 PM
Hi Chris.

We were in Kalkan 3rd week in November and Istanbul was open then.

Have a great time.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal