Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: kalkanbelle on October 15, 2011, 07:47:04 PM

Title: Wi Fi - Is it important for renters?
Post by: kalkanbelle on October 15, 2011, 07:47:04 PM
Would be interested to know if renters choose accommodation based on whether it has Wi-Fi or not?  Perhaps those of you who rent villas or apartments could advise as to your preference.  Is Wi-Fi a necessity or would you consider staying somewhere without it?
Title: Re: Wi Fi - Is it important for renters?
Post by: turkeyfan on October 15, 2011, 08:13:43 PM
We don't rent anymore, but I think it depends on what market you are aiming at?  For example if you have a villa, then I would definately say yes, but if you are aiming at the cheaper end of the market, then I would say it's not expected.  We didn't expect it when we've rented apartments.
Post by: misty on October 15, 2011, 09:09:45 PM
For me no Wifi no rent cant afford to be out of touch with my business  :) :) :)
Post by: felicity on October 15, 2011, 10:00:05 PM
YES - DEFINITELY important!  :)
Post by: itstime on October 15, 2011, 10:36:37 PM
Would agree that most people would find it essential
Post by: JenJen on October 15, 2011, 10:49:31 PM
It's never been a factor for us anywhere we've visited.  If it's there, we might use it once or twice.  If it's not, we don't miss it.  We're constantly on our laptops and smartphones at home so love being cut off from everything on holiday :)
Post by: TCTRAVELLER on October 16, 2011, 09:09:11 AM
Having stayed in lots of holiday villas ourselves, we definitely prefer a villa to have WiFi especially if we are staying away for more than a few days. People who are self-employed/business owners really need that peace of mind to know that they can keep in touch if necessary. Now that we are villa owners ourselves in Kalkan we have it installed for our guests to use for free and I know at least 3 or 4 of our bookings this summer were because we had WiFi available. It also just helps families with teenagers etc. who want to keep in touch with friends etc. One family even commented how they kept up-to-date with the sports results via the laptop.  ;D
Post by: onelove on October 16, 2011, 09:27:15 AM
Its a no brainer, a must have.  8) 8) 8)
Post by: pw on October 16, 2011, 10:47:08 AM
Not important at all to me - when I'm on hols I don't miss the internet or the dross UK TV one bit. However, if I was away for longer than a fortnight I could possibly get withdrawal symptoms.
l
Post by: deepasforever1 on October 16, 2011, 12:09:46 PM
Wi-fi's a must for us!  Villa, apartment or hotel ;D 
Post by: chickengeorge on October 16, 2011, 04:26:38 PM
We get fully booked and have no wi-fi - virtually every place has it in town, so not important.
Post by: Skunk on October 16, 2011, 05:43:48 PM
There are so many places in town it's hardly worth having it - but a nice addition for some if it's there - particularly to write to friends and watch the odd programme you are following.  ;)
Post by: misty on October 16, 2011, 08:03:29 PM
Remember as Gordon Gekko said ' money never sleeps'  and he is dead right on that one  ;) ;)
Post by: pw on October 16, 2011, 08:39:07 PM
he was a sad get who never had a holiday!
Post by: MartynE on October 16, 2011, 11:27:01 PM
We do have wi-fi access but I would say only about 20% of our renters even ask whether we have it or not. So it's probably not that important.
Post by: Wendy on October 17, 2011, 08:38:20 AM
We are getting WiFi for 2012. Also a safe; more seating on the roof; ipod docking station; satellite TV; posh brollies and more.
Post by: Cosetta on October 17, 2011, 08:59:24 AM
Wi-fi is a must for a villa, because villa renters bring kids and teens who want internet access.  We had one family whose son brought his X-box with him.  He stayed up every night until 3 am playing games on the internet.  I doubt his could do this with only a wi-fi dongle but not sure, we have a regular high-speed ADSL line.

Beware about wall safes.  They get ripped off the wall, taking a large chunk of wall with them.  This has happened several times here in Kalkan.  When there are safes visible, it's the first place burglars go.  We never put things in wall safes anywhere in the world.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 17, 2011, 09:32:46 AM
Don't want internet etc when i'm away...no kids so no games etc...but i always look for a TV for the occasional night in...as i said previously and was snided at for....i'd prefer a safe for my stuff rather than wi-fi...we were supplied with one this year but no key...durrrrr!!! ::)
Post by: Cosetta on October 17, 2011, 09:38:56 AM
The reason you got no key is because too many locked safes have been ripped out of walls forcefully.  So now few owners give the key.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 17, 2011, 01:10:42 PM
No......the reason was the owner was in England and forgot to leave the key with the new management man...who didn't know where the safe was anyway till we told him......a safe without a key is like owning a car without wheels..... :-\
Post by: Dellbarr on October 17, 2011, 03:11:35 PM
Plenty of them in Pompey. They've all been nicked!
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 17, 2011, 04:55:14 PM
a safe without a key is an iron cupboard :P
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 17, 2011, 06:47:27 PM
Wifi didn't use to bother me, but having it in the last few places we've stayed has made it a "must-have" for us now. Like BL, we like a tv because BH brings a tiny hard drive with loads of movies on and we can catch-up with a few whilst we're on holiday as we can never get round to it at home. I like to keep up to date with work and news at home so having wifi in situ instead of lugging the laptop with me to a bar is definitely preferrable.
The last few places we've stayed didn't have a safe but we found our own "hiding place" for valuables and cash....it was so good we managed to leave cash behind in August :o :o :o Luckily I contacted the owner who arranged for its safekeeping till we returned last month :)
We only stay in apartments, so its a selling point for us
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 17, 2011, 07:03:26 PM
we have used a hiding place before.....but if the cleaners any good shouldn't they find it??? :P
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 17, 2011, 07:16:42 PM
No-one was going to clean in this hiding place, BL ;D......and I find the mid-stay clean is only what my Mother would call a "wipe-down" not a serious no stone unturned blitz-through. The fact that we left cash in our hiding place and vacated the apartment as the cleaners were waiting to come in...and they didn't find it...proves its a good place. I'll PM you if you want to know where it was - you have my permission to use it for future safeless (or key missing) venues ;D
Post by: misty on October 17, 2011, 08:05:26 PM

We hid something once and it was still there the following year  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: itstime on October 17, 2011, 09:13:38 PM
Usually hide stuff in cooker, microwave, kettle or any cooking implement as never ever ever used any of them while on holiday ;D
Hope I'm not giving away any secrets :o :o
Post by: Wendy on October 17, 2011, 10:02:54 PM
All the best criminals whose houses I searched had their safes in the floor. Not on the wall which is a daft place to put it.
Post by: hobbo on October 19, 2011, 11:54:29 AM
Back to Wifi

We started renting out this season and I was expecting minor moans regarding aircon (we fitted the ECOSENSE 4000 to all units including bedrooms prior to reading some of the -ve posts on here)

Nobody has even mentioned the Aircon. but several comments were made regarding a slightly flaky internet connection (only avail 80% of the time..) hopefully this has now been resolved.. the problems didn't affect the 5 star tripadvisor recommendations they posted but obviously internet/wifi was important to them.

Regards

Stuart
Post by: Bdancer on October 19, 2011, 02:50:53 PM
Hoboo, going a bit of topic, but has fitting the aircon sensors made a difference to your bills as we are thinking about fitting them for next season

Isis
Post by: hobbo on October 19, 2011, 05:06:02 PM
Sorry about the OT... I have had several people ask about how much the econairs have saved... Unfortunately I can't give figures as they were fitted as we started renting hence no comparison data. But assuming that some guests 'forget' to switch the aircon off they must have saved ££ and I have not yet passed out when opening an elec bill.

Stuart
Post by: lindylou on October 20, 2011, 07:56:46 PM
If a place had no wifi we would not book anymore.
Post by: Wendy on October 26, 2011, 08:33:00 AM
There is a deal going on at the moment where you can get a telephone line but no telephone installed 160tl. Then you just have unlimited internet access for 60tl a month or limited access for 40tl a month. If they do a lot of downloading on the limited one though you could be left with a hefty bill. You need a resident to sign for the phone line. We are going to do it for the Villa but for the duplex we are going the dongle route - does anyone have any input re the efficiency of these? They cost 140tl (roughly) from Baris Shop and 30/40tl for 1 gig download per month, on a PAYG basis.
Post by: kalkanbelle on October 26, 2011, 11:12:06 AM
Wendy - Which company is doing the deal?  Also do you know if this is an introductory offer price and then the monthly cost increases after a certain period or does it stay the same?
Post by: Blackpool on October 27, 2011, 04:11:38 AM
How would our PS3 update without wifi?

No brainer IMHO and I certainly wouldn't rent without it.
Post by: Wendy on October 29, 2011, 12:43:21 PM
For Kalkanbelle.... re internet deal, here is the info....
just a campaign with TTNet company we got it through is Mavi Bilgisayar the guys name is Recep.
Opp taxi rank 2nd floor.

Hope that helps?
Post by: kalkanbelle on October 29, 2011, 01:12:27 PM
Many thanks for all the feedback and though it seems some are not too bothered about wifi the majority obviously think it a necessity.

Wendy thanks for info and I will look into it and if anyone else knows of any good deals for wifi?
Post by: pw on October 29, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
Necessity???? Meaning can't live without it?
Well we all managed perfectly well until quite recently!
Each to their own!

PW
Post by: yorkielovit on October 31, 2011, 10:12:12 AM
Wi Fi for me is essential be it Hotel, apart or villa. Wont book without it even if as in some hotels I might have to pay for it.

Michelle
Post by: Potter on November 01, 2011, 06:06:04 PM
Wifi also important for me because even though I am on holiday, I still need to do a bit of work,...sometimes  >:( :(, s##te I know but there you go!!
 ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 01, 2011, 06:26:41 PM
Ha Ha me Hearties!!!..shiver me timbers!!....i'd sooner ave a steady flow of tap water!!! >:D >:D >:D
Post by: Potter on November 01, 2011, 06:29:14 PM
Ha Ha me Hearties!!!..shiver me timbers!!....i'd sooner ave a steady flow of water!!! >:D >:D >:D
Probably easier to get the wifi sometimes my mate!!Huzaaah :o
 ;)
Post by: casey on January 06, 2012, 04:54:01 PM
We don't have wifi in the villa but have bought a dongle which visitors can top up and use with their own laptops.

However, we lost 2 bookings last summer because we didn't have wifi, I guess we will have to do it - perhaps this summer as I believe it is easier to instal than in in the past.
Post by: casey on January 06, 2012, 04:57:23 PM
What is the best way to install wifi?  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post by: kalkan4eva on January 30, 2012, 08:29:14 AM
 ??? ???
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on January 30, 2012, 12:15:41 PM
Post removed  now Kalkan4Eva, another spammer ! They are persistent  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on January 30, 2012, 12:56:41 PM
At least he posted under wifi...Worlds Idiots Frequently Invade ^-^
Post by: Marje40 on January 30, 2012, 04:12:26 PM
I think particularly if you have kids/teens it's important, personally I love to have internet access, but would happily sit in a cafe/bar that had it.

I sometimes wonder how we ever managed without the internet! 

:laugh:
Post by: Cosetta on January 30, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
TTNet is Turk Telekom's ADSL internet service.  In Kalkan it is 6MB download speed.  The hitch is that you cannot own the line in your own name (unless you want to make and leave a huge deposit of money), you need to have it the name of a Turkish person.  We have unlimited ADSL service and pay TL 57 / monthly.

I know several people who rely on the dongles, they are happy with the service.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal