Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: b deren on September 16, 2011, 05:30:06 PM

Title: rip off Kalkan
Post by: b deren on September 16, 2011, 05:30:06 PM
We will not be returning to Kaklan.  We found it very very expensive this year compared to the  six previous years.

Many many restaurants with the same menu. Not as busy oh well say the resturant owners  we will just up the prices! Crazy Kalkan will do itself no favours.

Bye bye, better places are calling with better food at reasonable prices.. We have booked Koh Samui next year
Title: Re: rip off Kalkan
Post by: Rachey on September 16, 2011, 05:59:25 PM
That's a shame...but it does leave more room for the rest of us  ;D >:D ;D
Post by: b deren on September 16, 2011, 06:12:21 PM
you are welcome
Post by: chrissy1 on September 16, 2011, 06:20:23 PM
Well to be honest we didn't find it any more expensive this year than last in fact with the exchange rate it seemed cheaper   - the restaurants we visited (mostly on the harbour or bottom end of town)were more or less the same as last year for prices maybe you went to the wrong places?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on September 16, 2011, 06:28:42 PM
Am really surprised you found it expensive, first time this year for us, and it was amazingly cheap compared to other places we have visited. Can't wait to go back. :) :D :laugh:
Post by: itstime on September 16, 2011, 06:43:15 PM
A bit bemused by this post. Having visited Kalkan for 15 years, actually found this year (in July) even better value than ever, probably due to good exchage rate. Looking forward to coming back in a weeks time and enjoying the excellent value in shops, reataurants etc.
Suppose it's "horses for courses" but can honestly say that have never felt "ripped off" by anything purchased in Kalkan. Maybe Marmaris, Altinkum etc are cheaper, but give me the ambience of Kalkan every time and more than happy to pay that wee bit extra for all that Kalkan has to offer :)
Post by: tortoise lady on September 16, 2011, 07:03:39 PM
Like others I have been coming to Kalkan for quite a few years now and on my visit in June did not notice anything seemed more expensive.    Three more sleeps before I'm off again on Monday morning and with the good exchange rate anticipate being able to enjoy good meals at favourite restaurants.

Post by: Potter on September 16, 2011, 07:10:30 PM
I have to say that although I love Kalkan and would not class it as rip off, it is definitely going up in price, no doubts. If any one thinks otherwise then so be it! The exchange rate at the moment covers the fact.
 ;)
Post by: Skunk on September 16, 2011, 07:46:18 PM
Sorry to hear you didn't feel you got good value - we have been to Kalkan several times and thought this year was particularly good.  There are always going to be the odd blips but on the whole I think for the excellent level of service, the beautiful views, the friendliness of the people and the cleanliness of the restaurants/apartments/hotelsbeach clubs/spas etc. we got an absolutely brilliant holiday which I will treasure until Auguat 2012 when we are alreay booked (including flights!) to go back.  Hope you enjoy your new destination as well.  Good luck!     :) :( :o ???
Post by: Kalkan regular on September 16, 2011, 09:17:34 PM
We all have a choice as to where to spend our money and where in the world we want to be. I love Thailand and have had great holiday's there and will have more in the future. If Kalkan isn't for you that's fine but I would expect that your Kho Samui holiday overall, including flights, will cost more than your Kalkan holiday and if you were to do it within the same budget, after paying for your flights, you wouldn't be meeting the same accommodation and restaurant standards. It's also a very long 2 plane flight to Kho Samui.

I also agree with others that the costs in Kalkan this year were less than last year due to the currency exchange rate.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Thailand holiday.
Post by: misty on September 16, 2011, 09:29:47 PM
Kalkan expensive where are you coming from its fantastic value for money...as for Koh Samui terrible place I found it full of hookers and sad old drunken expats chasing very young women...... ;)

Post by: Babs on September 16, 2011, 09:39:54 PM
my daughter spent a week in Kalkan in August.....stayed at the Lizo £20 a night for a double room, she took £300 spending money for everything, ate out everyday, went to beach clubs, on a boat trip, did a bit of shopping and still came back with money.....even had enough for McDonalds at Dalaman Aiport  :laugh:
Post by: pattaya on September 16, 2011, 09:43:46 PM
Yeah I agree, we love Kalkan and found it very very good value. The people are so friendly and helpful.
Koh samui is full of dirty old men ,with either young boy's or girls !! not the tropical paradise you'd expect. It was empty when we last went as they have been really affected by the  worldwide recession .We spent a very gloomy christmas there and it rained ! . Each to their own.
But  I'd rather be in kalkan thanks.
Post by: misty on September 16, 2011, 09:57:26 PM
Yeah I agree, we love Kalkan and found it very very good value. The people are so friendly and helpful.
Koh samui is full of dirty old men ,with either young boy's or girls !! not the tropical paradise you'd expect. It was empty when we last went as they have been really affected by the  worldwide recession .We spent a very gloomy christmas there and it rained ! . Each to their own.
But  I'd rather be in kalkan thanks.

Your right I forgot about the old men with young boys....gross try explaining that to you children  :( :( :(
Post by: chunky on September 16, 2011, 10:06:01 PM
Although love kalkan and have a place here - have to agree- but always has been rip off kalkan- and we brits made it that way, by paying over the odds for everything. All meals have gone up since july because they have to compensate for exchange rate .. Greedy bastards .. But we'll all still keep coming!
Post by: b deren on September 16, 2011, 10:25:21 PM
Koh Samui
I did not look for dirty old men!  I found the local people lovely.  I have known in Kalkan boats going out to deliver young girls.. Please do not tell me anything different.

Anyway
 I have discussed what you have said with my husband. He said after 25 years in Turkey he is not going back.  He is totally disinterested in your comments. We have been there and sold the  T shirt Bye bye
Post by: alantj on September 16, 2011, 10:58:03 PM
Although love kalkan and have a place here - have to agree- but always has been rip off kalkan- and we brits made it that way, by paying over the odds for everything. All meals have gone up since july because they have to compensate for exchange rate .. Greedy bastards .. But we'll all still keep coming!

Kalkan seemed to be very good value (much better than in previous years) when we were over in early July, have prices really gone up that much.
Post by: pattaya on September 16, 2011, 11:38:32 PM
Like i said each to your own.
 Its a big world out there and i have found my slice of paradise in Kalkan.
 I wish you lots of fun & sun finding yours.
We cant all like the same things...
Ps do a boat trip To koh tao if you can.. that was paradise !
Post by: chickengeorge on September 17, 2011, 09:11:41 AM

I have discussed what you have said with my husband. He said after 25 years in Turkey he is not going back.  He is totally disinterested in your comments. We have been there and sold the  T shirt Bye bye

Surely by putting your initial comment on this forum about Kalkan, you must have expected a reaction and other people to place their comments. If your disinterested in comments to your own post then don't post in the first place.
Post by: cleworthallray on September 17, 2011, 09:55:49 AM

KOH SAMUI...........saw it on the menu, but don't like fish.

No comments....cos my dad is bigger than your dad......
Post by: Roxie on September 19, 2011, 02:01:08 PM
Sorry, but there are a lot nicer places than Koh Samui in Thailand and it was dearer than Kalkan. Very tacky main sreet but the hotels and beaches wre nice!
Again Kalkan for us!
Rx
Post by: Roxie on September 19, 2011, 02:38:47 PM
Oh,
I forgot, the food wasn't that nice and the wine was awful and £25 a bottle.
Rx
Post by: misty on September 19, 2011, 02:44:33 PM

Lady boys were interesting though  ;) ;) ;)
Post by: Legionaire on September 19, 2011, 03:00:53 PM
Boats delivering girls?
25 years of going to Turkey and this is the first price hike you have noticed?
And who bought your t shirt, I want proof that your not going back....................... >:D
Post by: maryjane on September 19, 2011, 06:33:10 PM
Misty, at the risk of being banned from more comments on this thread, here goes!   I was "lucky" enough to sit in on a makeup session prior to the lady boys going out to "interview" the punters.  Strewth, pretty stunning!!!!!!
One cannot compare Kalkan to Thailand, unless we are all going to have a fancy dress party.  Hey, that might be a good idea, which venue? >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Post by: Enişte on September 19, 2011, 06:50:29 PM
Depending on what floats certain people's boats, 'Alternatif' might be an option!  In my view, after lots of visits there, having lived in Malaysia and Vietnam for several years, the Thais are the most mercenary bunch I have ever met.  There is absolutely no comparison with Kalkan, although the ladyboy bit may have confused them, with plenty of women in Kalkan now that look like men.  Sizeist/elitist?  Me?
Post by: misty on September 19, 2011, 07:21:10 PM
Misty, at the risk of being banned from more comments on this thread, here goes!   I was "lucky" enough to sit in on a makeup session prior to the lady boys going out to "interview" the punters.  Strewth, pretty stunning!!!!!!
One cannot compare Kalkan to Thailand, unless we are all going to have a fancy dress party.  Hey, that might be a good idea, which venue? >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Very good idea...when I was a wee lad we lived out in the Far East and for a short time until our house was ready lived above what turned out to be a brothel...took my mother a while to work this out  :D :D.....but I still have photos of the ladies and ladyboys making a fuss of me and my brother in the garden....they were glad to see us go as my father was the officer in command so the squaddies didnt like to bump into him or my mother on the stairs.....and went else where for their entertainment... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Post by: hodstar on September 19, 2011, 09:40:08 PM
I'm in the moonlight bar  at the minute on the vodka and red bulls. No complaints about prices. Such a great place.
Post by: Firecat on September 19, 2011, 10:21:06 PM
What a peculiar first time post  ??? Why bother to sound off about a place you have no intention of revisiting? But as the OP referred to it as 'Kaklan' in their main message maybe they were referring to a little known Thai enclave where the prices are enough to make your eyeballs sizzle in your head  ;D

I didn't make it to Kalkan (or even Kaklan) this year but in Dalyan the prices were no better or worse than I had expected and overall the value was fine. Yes the exchange rate has helped this and I did get the feeling that baseline TL prices had gone up to narrow the exchange rate gap but certainly in the shops - and on excursions - everything remained negotiable. I will continue to wear my t-shirt with pride  :angel:
Post by: Lizilu20 on September 20, 2011, 08:54:38 AM
Strange, we found it cheaper in Kalkan this year in August, than we did in july/august 09. Maybe it was the good exchange rate.
Post by: clara 50 on September 22, 2011, 02:14:22 PM
We've just come back,  for the second time this year and didn't see any real difference from other years of course the exchange rate was pretty good.The food is much bettter quality than many places in the UK everything so fresh so therefore good value. We eat in various restaurants some cheaper than others of course. Had a fantastic time meeting up with old friends Turkish and Brits, missing it already and hope to return for our eigth visit next year, love the place!
Post by: Potter on September 23, 2011, 07:24:04 PM
As I said in a previous post, Kalkan is not a rip off but how many posts refer to the 'exchange rate' FGS!! Are we all stupid?
 ;)
Post by: b deren on September 25, 2011, 11:39:27 AM
Why are you also  pompous .We are all allowed the 'golden rule'
Post by: maryjane on September 25, 2011, 12:33:35 PM
WUM????? >:D >:D >:D
Post by: chickengeorge on September 25, 2011, 02:55:00 PM
B Deren - what a strange person! Not english obviously, maybe comes from Koh Samui! Says about price increases over 6 years then states they've been to Turkey for 25 years. Not interested in our comments but comes back to read them. And what's the golden rule?
Post by: mully57 on September 26, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
I love Kalkan and have been many times but if its not rip off Kalkan can anyone explain why a large efes is 6 lira in Kalkan and 3 lira in Fetiye .
Post by: chickengeorge on September 26, 2011, 06:50:04 PM
I'm in Dalaman at the moment and the two restaurants I've been to so far have been 6tl for Efes. And this is not a tourist area.
Post by: b deren on September 26, 2011, 07:26:53 PM
Hi Mully 57

My point exactly we have been going to Turkey for 25 years. We spent our honeymoon there and try to have our wedding anniversary there each year.
 Now a large Efes in Fetiye is 3 lira and in Kalkan 6 lira That is why I say rip off Kalkan.

I am British by birth. Although why that has to be a question I do not know. Do you ?

Why do I keep coming back to the forum?
 For people like you. Why the differeniation ( big word I know) why does Kalkan rip us off?
I am sure somebody will correct my spelling. That is not the issue. When will people wake up and say No Thank You.  Or do they except high prices and stay in villas and have BBQs Please I have nothing  aginst BBQ's I would like the restaurants to be busier with good food at good prices.

Thank you

Post by: b deren on September 26, 2011, 07:35:19 PM
Chicken George I feel sorry for you
Post by: davenottm on September 26, 2011, 08:49:21 PM
I love Kalkan and have been many times but if its not rip off Kalkan can anyone explain why a large efes is 6 lira in Kalkan and 3 lira in Fetiye .

If you were paying TL6 for an Efes you were drinking in the wrong places! We ate out every night for a fortnight and didn't pay TL6 once. We thought the prices in Kalkan (August) were very, very reasonable and did not feel ripped off anywhere.
Post by: b deren on September 26, 2011, 09:01:24 PM
wake up please
Post by: b deren on September 26, 2011, 09:06:30 PM
The prices are wrong do something
Post by: turkeyfan on September 26, 2011, 09:50:16 PM
b deren, why are you so aggressive?

It seems to me that you've made your point and YOU and YOUR HUSBAND think that Kalkan is too expensive.  That is entirely your prerogative and you are certainly able to choose to spend your money where you wish to - and so is everyone else who visits Kalkan and this forum!

Kalkan may have some more expensive restaurants than other parts of Turkey but Kalkan also has less expensive places to visit too. 

If you don't want to visit Kalkan again that's fair enough, but please stop going on about it, afterall if you're not going to visit again why are you so bothered about the prices and what do you expect the members on this forum to do about them?
Post by: Babs on September 26, 2011, 10:07:54 PM
Well said Turkeyfan.....everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and as they say 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'....or something like that! In two weeks time we'll be on our way to Kalkan. We know you can go to cheaper places in Turkey and in other countries. We are lucky enough to have been able to do a holiday in Kalkan and a couple of short breaks elsewhere for the last few years. Each year we have looked for somewhere that offers us what we get for our money in Kalkan, excellent standard of accommodation at a very reasonable price (we always go in an apartment), beautiful scenery, safe and pleasant surroundings and excellent restaurants and we struggle to find the equivalent elsewhere within the same travel time. We have friends who have done the same research and come to the same conclusion. Each to their own but we have yet to discover somewhere that will give us the same quality for what we think is a very reasonable price given cheap flights....we have booked 10 days for 6 people next June/July at very high class accommodation for less that £350 a head......and when we get there we can spend as much or as little as we like.....I call that excellent value.
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 27, 2011, 07:37:43 AM
well said Babs and Turkeyfan.
Fethiye is ok for a visit, but I wouldn't want to spend my whole holiday there - is it any wonder they have to reduce the price of the beer to attract tourists :) I'd happily pay....and indeed do pay 6tl for an efes in Kalkan because I like the ambience and the views here. A couple of times we've felt a meal/drink was a little expensive compared with other bars/restaurants and we haven't gone back....thats a choice we made but never have I felt ripped off. Ripping off tourists belongs to UK resorts, IMHO :o
Post by: chickengeorge on September 27, 2011, 08:15:57 AM
I got Efes for 3TL in Fethiye also, in Migros! Easy if you shop around.  ;)
Post by: mully57 on September 27, 2011, 11:09:33 AM
DaveNottm

What were you paying for an Efes then and where going back on the 1st
Post by: mully57 on September 27, 2011, 11:11:21 AM
Chicken george

we were talking bar price not supermarket price
Post by: chickengeorge on September 27, 2011, 11:29:38 AM
Yes, I did realise that Mully. There are places in Kalkan that sell Efes for less that 6TL and this is only around £2 so hardly a rip off.
Post by: maryjane on September 27, 2011, 11:48:29 AM
Can we not put this subject "to bed now" >:D >:D  Waste of our breath and time for someone who obviously does not like Kalkan ??? ??? ???    There is a big world out there, we all have our favourites, which might not suit everyone, SO WHAT ;D ;D ;D
Post by: tiamaria on September 27, 2011, 12:24:22 PM
We had 2 home made iyran's 2 lamacan's with dips and salad 1 tea and a coffee in Fethiye total price 10-50 lira had the same in Kalkan without the dips, coffee or tea 24 lira.................. 13-50 lira more....... 
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on September 27, 2011, 12:56:16 PM
Going to lock this now as suggested. Hope thats ok with everyone.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal