Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: chrissy1 on May 23, 2011, 10:39:11 AM

Title: Any restaurant reviews for 2011?
Post by: chrissy1 on May 23, 2011, 10:39:11 AM
Hello Kalkan lovers who have returned or still visiting it would be lovely to hear some of your views so far for the restaurant experiences this year good bad or indifferent and to hear how the prices are compared to last. I for one cannot wait and already have a long list of where we want to try this year bit would be good to hear some reviews so far. :-\
Title: Re: Any early season restaurant reviews 2011?
Post by: Roxie on May 23, 2011, 12:32:03 PM
Hi,
We spent 2 weeks in Kalkan at the beginning of the month. We were really impressed with Gironda, having not been a great fan, in the past. Jimmy is now in charge and the head waiter is Gin, from the Samira. Went to both Moussakas and Pisces, all excellent,very good organic vegetables from the family garden. Kosk and Bosphorous, the Samira outlets, were as usual very good. The Nar steak was lovely and Foto's lunch time pizza was excellent. Food in Kalamaki was excellent, but a long wait. Not as good in Akin as previously, small King Prawns and vegetables poor. Got a lot more to try in June.
RX
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 23, 2011, 01:02:30 PM
We also fancy trying Pisces when we're there in a couple of weeks(yaaaayyyyy!!!), it gets such good mentions.
Post by: tortoise lady on May 23, 2011, 02:16:16 PM
Keep the reviews coming.   Also very close to my next visit and with restaurants often changing hands or moving it is good know of any changes in food or service.   Like HomefirthNicky I have not yet tried Pisces (must put it on the ever growing list)  and good to hear from Roxie that some of my old favourites like Kosk continue to be very good.

Would be good to know now that the season is getting under way if reservations are proving necessary.   In the past it has seemed essential at some restaurants  and certainly if you have a favourite table.
Post by: chrissy1 on May 23, 2011, 03:13:01 PM
Yeah keep them coming so we can all get plans in place for where to eat, already planning to visit Gironda as Coast was probably our favourite place last year, would love to hear from anyone that has tried the new Coast down the harbour yet. Glad Kosk still doing well for the money they were bang on last year - is Joseph still out front? Only 3 weeks to go for us yippeeee so hoping to hear from more of you with your thoughts and yes good points about reservations tortoise lady

Post by: Roxie on May 23, 2011, 03:41:57 PM
Hi,
Gironda under new management and a new chef (from the Bosphorous).
Friends out this week have had great meals in Baharat and Ramis. You won't be stuck for somewhere to eat.  Oh, the beer is 4 lira in Fotos.
Rx
Post by: onelove on May 23, 2011, 04:12:59 PM
Me and the OH ate at Coast (on the harbour) last night.............well where do I start..... Fantastic food, the steak was to die for, deaf the best meal we have had on this holiday and we have eaten out every night (8 so far). Fantastic service from all staff but special praise must go to Billy & Esra who make you feel like you are a King ! Very highly reccomended indeed  :)
Post by: fidimax on May 23, 2011, 05:01:14 PM
Any news about the " Soup Kitchen " Ali babas,I heard they have had major refurb ?
Post by: onelove on May 23, 2011, 05:44:34 PM
We had lunch in Ali Babas this afternoon. Still wonderful food at sensible prices.   To be honest cant really see what they did during the refurb  ???    Chicken soup ahhhhhhh just wonderful, more (white) chicken in it than a KFC  :)
Post by: fidimax on May 23, 2011, 06:08:53 PM
Thanks KD,glad they didnt spoil the place,its like my second home in Kalkan  ;)
Post by: IssyG on May 24, 2011, 09:47:41 AM
Where is Pisces - went to a great fish restaurant last year which I think was newly opened just past taxi rank on the left hand side on the first floor - hope this makes sense?  Anyone have any idea of what it is called - is this Pisces?

Thanks for all the reviews - these have been a great help.
Post by: chrissy1 on May 24, 2011, 10:08:26 AM
Thanx for all these, found it so helpful to plan our eats out great news KD about Coast at the harbour it is deff going to be one of our stops now as we loved the old Coast too, We also met some people last year who raved about Pisces ( I think you are correct IssyG that's where I understood it to be) so may give that a go too. keep the reviews coming
Post by: Enişte on May 24, 2011, 10:17:01 AM
We had lunch in Ali Babas this afternoon. Still wonderful food at sensible prices.   To be honest cant really see what they did during the refurb  ???    Chicken soup ahhhhhhh just wonderful, more (white) chicken in it than a KFC  :)

KD - forgive me but can I suggest that your visit to Ali Baba's was not the first stop of the evening!?  Just joking but the refurb was pretty major, with the kitchen totally redone and reduced slightly in size, new slightly larger loos built more in the corner, new paint job, lighting, a large TV and new furniture.  Otherwise, same good food and prices!
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 24, 2011, 10:24:30 AM
Yep you right about Pisces location.....

Eniste....did Ali Babas get his fans fixed in the refurb?...
Post by: maryharvie on May 24, 2011, 10:34:06 AM
Hi Eveveryone, have not posted on EK for a while, but thought I had write about the Restruants. One in particular springs to mind and that is Coast down by the Harbour.(Lush last year).

We ate there a couple of nights ago and must say how fantastic it was. The staff, Billy Esra and Omar where very attentive and couldnt have looked after us any better than they did.
The service was 10 out of 10 and the food.......... well what can I say EXCELLENT...... we truly felt like royalty. It really made our night and we will of course be going back there in the near future.
It is a MUST to go here when in Kalkan......... ENJOY.
Post by: Enişte on May 24, 2011, 10:45:14 AM
Like your beloved Blues, I think they are still waiting for their fans to arrive!
Post by: Leigh on May 24, 2011, 11:16:38 AM
What sort of price are you paying for a meal at Coast down at the Harbour?  We are out in 2 weeks time for 11 nights. 
Post by: maryharvie on May 24, 2011, 12:00:33 PM
Hi Eniste,  Yeah I see what you mean, but honest, it was just for lunch......... have eaten there loads of times, but I have never used the toilets  :o    did not notice the kitchen / paint job or TV, tables seemed just the same  ???  See what happens when you are in Kalkan, switch off BIG time  :laugh:

Hi Leigh,  Two of us had starters, main meal's, 2 beers, a bottle of Angora and Irish coffee's... all for the pricely sum of 151TL / £60ish...........bl**dy good value given the standard of servive, food and location, dont you think  ???

Just for the record, I have no tie's to either restaurant, just speaking as I find it. 

Post by: onelove on May 24, 2011, 12:21:34 PM
Sorry was using someone elses laptop I did not know they were also logged into EK  ???.........the post above was by me  :P
Post by: IssyG on May 25, 2011, 01:08:01 PM
That seems very cheap for Coast - I though it was much more expensive.

My daughter had a meal there last night and thought it was average and quite highly priced. She's off back to Kosk tonight to see how that goes.

Restaurants in Kalkan seem to vary from year to year, over the past 7 years the only restaurant I found to be consistently excellent was Daphne's sadly now no longer.  It's now Chapter 1 which I tried last year and wasn't impressed but I know others (my daughter among them) who thought it was great.

Eating out in Kalkan is a matter of personal taste and budget - you can't please everyone all of the time!
Post by: onelove on May 25, 2011, 05:02:35 PM
Hi IssyG,    Yes just what we thought, fantastic value........... here is a rough break down on what we had and the cost.

2 Starters...................................28 tl
2 Mains......................................58 tl
Wine..........................................29 tl
2 beers........... ..........................12 tl
2 Irish coffees............................24 tl 
                                                 -----
                                                 151 TL.   @ todays exchange rate ........... approx £58ish   8)

Shame your daughter did not have quite the same experiance as us, I hope she has a better time tonight..... :)  As you say..........you can't please everyone all of the time  ???

Post by: Mags on May 25, 2011, 05:40:11 PM
We've recently come back from 3 weeks' extensive Kalkan restaurant research!

Our top ones this season: Coast, Salt & Pepper, Chapter One, Kalamaki, Korsan Meze

And at the cheaper end: Sofra, Akin & Merkez (lunch only), White Table.
Post by: Potter on May 25, 2011, 05:47:47 PM
I have to say that I've always liked Merkez as a change to be honest. You only have to see the amount of people in there or wanting to go in for proof. I visit either May/June or Aug/Sept and it's always full.
Post by: Alan on May 28, 2011, 12:29:08 AM
Hi everyone, this topic is so well timed, for us, as we are back in Kalkan on the 4th June so please keep the reviews coming
Post by: onelove on May 28, 2011, 05:08:49 AM
Hi,   We had lunch at "Fener Cafe" yesterday afternoon ( recommened on EK), what a location, on the waters edge, over looking the harbour and beach........2 of us, one (massive) starter with bread, 2 mains, 3 beers and a coke, all for the crazy amount of.........32tl (£12)  where else can you get that sort of value  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Charlie on May 28, 2011, 10:53:42 AM
Didn't I tell you it was a great find!  Glad you enjoyed it.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 30, 2011, 01:55:13 PM
Is the Fener Cafe open for dinner? People often talk about breakfast and lunch there but no-one ever mentions dinner?
Post by: turkeyfan on May 30, 2011, 03:42:25 PM

Yes it is, but it's more informal than lot's of the other restaurants.  It's great when you just want 'tea' without having fuss and formality. :)
Post by: Potter on May 30, 2011, 04:05:34 PM
Where exacltly is Fener Bar? Is it anywhere near Kleo?? ;)
Post by: jofoss on May 30, 2011, 05:47:09 PM
Another "find" for us this year was BADE, next to Mussaka in the harbour -which was full on the night in question- hence our trying Bade. Opted for one of the set menus at TL19 per person which included:
A glass of wine
Meze plate to share
Saffron chicken with a mushroom sauce, rice, veggies, chips and salad.
Fruit platter
Tea or Coffee

We ordered a bottle of water and a bottle of Angora instead of the included glass of wine and the waiter advised us that he would adjust the price to take account of the fact that we had not had the included glass. He charged us just TL16 for the bottle

Total bill TL55 including a further glass of complimentary wine!!

While it might not look as glam as some of the other eateries in the harbour the food was good and tasty, if not fancy, the service was excellent, and had we found it earlier in our stay, I'm sure we would have returned.
Post by: Potter on May 30, 2011, 05:49:03 PM
Thanks BL, I have been there but only for drinks/ice cream for the ladies
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 30, 2011, 06:05:39 PM
Sorry Rip roarer ..went to add to my post but erased it by accident...was about to add about ice cream but i guess i didn't have to!! ;)
Post by: Charlie on May 30, 2011, 06:10:53 PM
That's odd I also posted giving details of Fener location and it disappeared too!  I re-typed it and again it disappeared!  Just wanted to say I personally haven't eaten there in the evening probably because we eat so many lunches there.  As Turkeyfan says if you wanted something quite simple I'm sure it would be perfect.  Glad to hear Bade has re-opened this year.  It is also run by the guys who own Fener - hence the very reasonable prices.
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 30, 2011, 06:38:39 PM
Bade isn't run by the Fener lot this year, someonelse has taken it over. We had a nice meal at a very good price there in very early May.
Post by: Charlie on May 30, 2011, 10:56:50 PM
Thanks for the update Kalkan Regular.  It wasn't opened when I was there in April.  Apologies, I wrongly assumed with the same name it must be the same management!    :-[
Post by: samson on May 31, 2011, 07:51:31 AM
we weny to bade two nights ago for the set menu and the guys from fenner were serving there! nice meal and great value :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 31, 2011, 08:23:41 AM
thanks for the replies - we'll give it a go - along ith Bade. With 3 adults in tow, we can't be eating in Coast every night ;D
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 31, 2011, 10:07:11 AM
It's now called Bade Beach and we ate there a few days after they opened. I said we'd enjoyed it last year and had come to see if the food was as good this year. It was the waiters who said it had changed hands and didn't belong to Fener any more and they'd added the word Beach to make it's position clearer to people.
Post by: Kalkankiwi on May 31, 2011, 10:37:27 AM
Just back from a 4 night break to Kalkan with my girlfriends..For the first time ever we encountered average food and poor service. Booked to have dinner at Aubergine on Sunday evening , somewhere special as it was a birthday celebration. We asked if we could reserve  the elevated seating area but they said no but we could have pre dinner drink up there . When we arrived for dinner at 8:20 the elevated area was left with dirty glasses etc and they declined to clear it away so we could sit there as planned but we were happy to sit on the sofas. After 20 minutes we decided to go to our reserved table. A waiter came but only had two menus available but again not a problem so we shared and made our choices. Well we sat and waited and waited and eventually after complaining our starter arrived at 9:50. Our steak was cooked as requested but accompanied with the wrong sauce for one of us and the vegetables were just mediocre.What really upset us was that never once did the manager come and apologise and the front of house guy just wouldnt accept that this was unacceptable level of service.They did offer a bottle of wine on the house but I am afraid the harm was done by then and we will not be returning there.
Vissited Doy Doy for the first time in three years as it was recommended and have to say the food wasnt up to standard.Had the ameretto chicken which was served with a deep fried bananna and salad garnish.The waiters were ok but not the usual Kalkan slick servce.
I will stick to the ones I know in the future. Then again its always nice to try somewhere new.We found that Kalkan is very quiet this year so its in their best interest to keep their customers happy , provide a good level of service and good value for money food and we will be returning.

Still had a fab few days will be back with family in July.

KK

Post by: Iwanttobethere on May 31, 2011, 11:06:10 AM
Does anyone know whether the restaurant owners or managers are made aware of the negative comments being made about them so that they can find out what went wrong and address it?
Post by: Enişte on May 31, 2011, 11:59:07 AM
Lots of owners and head waiters in the old town follow EK and TA and search for mentions of their restaurants.
Post by: onelove on May 31, 2011, 12:24:23 PM

Yeah you did..........cheers Charlie
Post by: chrissy1 on May 31, 2011, 03:22:09 PM
To be honest Kalkankiwi we went to Aubergine last year saving it as a "special treat" and we too were very disappointed in both the service and quality of food especially as I had it down as a must try after reading comments on here about it. Maybe we just hit it on a bad night but I most certainly won't go back this year as there are so many other good ones to choose from. Has anyone out there been to the Mussaka on the harbour yet as we are putting this down as a must do for this year so would be nice to hear from anyone that has been yet. 2 weeks to go now cannot wait!!!!
Post by: alantj on May 31, 2011, 04:00:28 PM
We went in April and it was ok but nothing special. The food is elaborately presented but really no better than you can find in lots of other restaurants.  The service was as usual a bit hit and miss;  my main arrived just as everyone else was finishing their's.

The best bit is definitely the puddings, all were excellent and huge. We will probably go back in July just for the puddings.   
Post by: Roxie on May 31, 2011, 04:12:30 PM
Hi,
Both Mussakkas were superb. Great food and service. Well done Mehmet!
Rx
Post by: Alysa on May 31, 2011, 05:32:27 PM
Parc Kalkan is adding to it's menu to allow more traditional turkish options!
They are introducing two set menus, a vegetarian one, 3 courses for 15tl and a meaty one, 3 courses for 20tl!
Watch the board outside the restaurant as well as the first 2 weeks of June are full of special offers!
Post by: Brooksie on May 31, 2011, 05:47:59 PM
Love the Club Sandwich in Parc Kalkan. :)
Post by: onelove on May 31, 2011, 07:38:25 PM
Yeah I agree, the food in Parc Kalkan is very good, have eaten in there a fair few times, Marley the head waiter is a lovely lad, and a Red  >:D...............we had a full english in there on our first morning, not bad at all  :o
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 31, 2011, 08:36:37 PM
Has anyone tried Rosehip yet? We've put this on our list of ones to try next week.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 31, 2011, 09:23:56 PM
Aubergine was always a favourite of ours but we had bad food and service on two seperate visits in 2009 (neither of which were during the peak season) and we've not been back since. The standard and choice of restaurants in Kalkan means reputation alone will not keep customers. There are some great restaurants in Kalkan and we're looking forward to trying new ones as well as "old" favourites. Keep the reviews coming please :)
Post by: Babs on May 31, 2011, 10:00:16 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you get on at Rosehip Nicky.....Orlando is a real character!
Post by: IssyG on May 31, 2011, 10:55:19 PM
My daughter has just come back from Kalkan and her favourites were Kosk - once again, Pisces, Mussaka in the old town and Aubergine - although she did say it was very expensive.  We went to Aubergine two years ago and had a distinctly ordinary meal for an extraordinary price so haven't been back. She also found Coast expensive and very average.

Kosk I find is always consistently good - last year we were very disappointed in Chapter One and the Old Trading House, but loved Pisces which had just opened.

Where is Parc Kalkan?  Will try the food in Fener this year, have been there many times for drinks and always liked it.
Post by: Roxie on June 01, 2011, 11:06:58 PM
Hi,
 Rosehip wasn't open 3 weeks ago! All the best to Orlando!!
Report after our wee trip next week!
Rx
Post by: chickengeorge on June 02, 2011, 08:02:27 AM
Aubergine is taking some knocks but I have to agree with Kalkan4eva. We always went there until this time when we just find the prices too much + 7TL for a beer. It's a shame because you get to know the staff and feel guilty not going in. 
Post by: tiamaria on June 02, 2011, 01:13:00 PM
If we want the harbour we always go to the next level. Our favourite is Akin Restaurant, Excellant food, Bayram's smile makes our holiday, his staff are all friendly and very helpful, It's our little piece of heaven sitting there enjoying the harbour views, watching people pass by whilst we're enjoying a chilled efes Mmm bliss................. The olives in a mild chilli dip with home made bread which they bring whist you wait for your meal.......and to finish off ask for a piece of Ayson's special dessert......wow......... If you are lucky you'll end up dancing in the street too.
Try Akin Restaurant the next time you're in Kalkan we really don't think you'll be dissapointed........

Lower end of the price scale Akbel Restaurant, Four people 8 beers 2 sprite 4 main courses, all for under 100 lira Great value excellant food I had swordfish with capons 15 lira you can't find that in Kalkan for that price.........Well worth a visit, they have a new chef and if he was in Kalkan I'm sure they would have a waiting list.......He's Kunife is Mmmm
All this talk of food is making me hungrey..........................
Post by: Enişte on June 02, 2011, 02:01:34 PM
Tiamaria - is that swordfish with capons the Akbel version of surf-n-turf?.....  Sounds really good value though!
Post by: Cuddles on June 02, 2011, 02:07:36 PM
Odak is really good now that Mustafa is back in charge.
On a friends reccommendation we went in for the 20TL meze and main course .The 8 different Mezes are amazing and the main courses were Kofte and/or chicken drumsticks.
The same friend told us of the latest offer, for only 30TL, plate of mezes or soup, fried liver or chicken shish both served with rice and salad and freshly cooked, followed by fruit. Truly tasty Turkish, totally terrific.
Why at 9pm were we the only two in there?
Post by: samson on June 02, 2011, 04:26:03 PM
that is 30tl for two people by the way!
Post by: Charlie on June 02, 2011, 05:11:20 PM
Aubergine is taking some knocks but I have to agree with Kalkan4eva. We always went there until this time when we just find the prices too much + 7TL for a beer. It's a shame because you get to know the staff and feel guilty not going in. 

In April & early May the Moonlight and Yali were charging 6TL - I'm happy to pay 1TL extra for that view and ambience.  I also find Aubergine's spirits are served in a much larger quantity than those served in most of the bars.  ;)
Post by: Potter on June 02, 2011, 07:19:48 PM
Where is Parc Kalkan?  Will try the food in Fener this year, have been there many times for drinks and always liked it.
[/quote]
If you walk out of town and go straight on at the roundabout as if going to the market, Kaya restaurant is on your right, Parc Kalkan is a bit further up but on the left. Always good when I have been.  ;)
Post by: Bdancer on June 03, 2011, 11:25:18 AM
Re Augergine, we often end up their for drink and we also find the mearuements very generous
Isis
Post by: Alan on June 04, 2011, 01:52:13 PM
Just arrıved and Cafe del Mar now has a roof top restaurant (Was the Ivy?) wıthfantastıc vıews - probably the best ın kalkan
Post by: tuppy on June 05, 2011, 05:32:31 PM
This is our list so far....

Mussaka
Doy Doy
Cave Vita (Wednesday BBQ)
Coast
Luca
Kosk
Merkez
Akin Restaurant
Gironda
Fener Cafe (lunch)
White table (lunch - burgers!)
Ali Babas (lunch)
Cafe del Mar (snacks and coffee)
Foto's (lunchtime pizza)

Can anyone tell me if we would have to book anything other than the BBQ night at cafe vita?

Also is ther anywhere we have missed that we should add to the list??

Thanks

Tups x
Post by: MouMou on June 05, 2011, 06:43:47 PM
Just had some superb trout in Ali's Fish Restaurant, next to Sevil supermarket.  Cooked to perfection, so tasty and as they say here "cheap as chips". 
Post by: Potter on June 05, 2011, 06:55:48 PM
Tups, you have a PM, see you tomorrow! ::)
Post by: tonik1945 on June 05, 2011, 11:06:19 PM
Got back today, our favourites were Ayse's kitche at the bus station really excellent food, Fener Bar and the White Table. I have decided against giving negative reviews however >:D we did go to the Kalkan Regency's BBQ evening on wednesday, they had 32 different meze's (announced proudly) which was just as well as the quality of the BBQ food was extremely poor and i would not recommend, total waste of money  and very disappointing.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 06, 2011, 08:50:57 AM
Tuppy, depending on when you will be in Kalkan - I'd say a number of the restaurants you've mentioned would need to be booked. Just wander down during the day and ask to book a table - you might find you have a couple of days wait for the popular ones. Enjoy!
Post by: hodstar on June 15, 2011, 08:38:13 AM
We ate at Luca last night, which was very nice.
3 x starters
3 x main
3 x efes
1 x bottle wine
139tl
 :)
Post by: Cuddles on June 15, 2011, 09:09:35 AM
A Turkish friend advised me that Ayse's Kitchen has good food but, don't go after 2pm as it is left to stand and the vegetables overcook and go soft!
Post by: onelove on June 15, 2011, 10:35:15 AM
4 of us had lunch in "Fener Bar" yesterday...........4 main meals, 2 starter's, 3 beers, 2 cokes, 1 large bottle of water and 1 glass of fresh orange................all for £32.00........Not bad me thinks  8)
Post by: Charlie on June 15, 2011, 02:44:39 PM
KD - didn't I tell you that you'd be hooked!  ;)
Post by: onelove on June 15, 2011, 03:32:05 PM
Ha ha ha, yes Charlie its your fault, cant keep away  8)
Post by: hodstar on June 16, 2011, 08:29:46 AM
We ate at Ephesus last night:
Poor Service (waiter smoking)
Waited an hour for main course to arrive
Food was average for my wife and I, but my son said his steak was very good
It was not in the same league as Luca, where we ate on Tuesday.
 :( :( :( :(
Post by: English-Riviera on June 16, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
We were there 18-25 May. Enjoyed Mussaka by the harbour very much, ate twice at Baharat (the apricot chicken is to die for!), had a great Kalkan "experience" at Oz Adana where the waiters do keep you entertained, had brilliant value at Omer's Kitchen (complimentary bread and olives, 2 mains, 2 beers and complimentary banana and honey with our cay for about 22TL) which is simple but nice, and were well looked after in Paparazzi and down by the harbour at Marina where the set menu was good value.

First trip to Kalkan, and loved it.  ;D
Post by: hodstar on June 17, 2011, 09:00:55 AM
We had lunch at Fener cafe yesterday and it was fab. Great recommendation.
 :)
Post by: TB1 on June 17, 2011, 10:00:52 PM
We went to Coast when it first opened, and again the following year.  Haven't been back since as we both thought the food was a bit average and full of "posers".  When I went down the stairs to the loo (this is at the old location) a man coming back up the stairs actually said "Ciao" to me - how affected is that?  I'm convinced the meal I had there was prepared earlier and re-heated. 

We have found that some of the newer "classy" restaurants seem to be concentrating more on the quality of the clientele rather than the quality of the food.  Certainly during our trip earlier this month we preferred the atmosphere of the cheaper, more rustic restaurants to the more expensive ones.
Post by: hodstar on June 18, 2011, 09:21:05 AM
Had a fantastic meal last night at Ottoman. Great food (fillet steak 10/10) and great service. Best of our holiday so far.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Post by: Bdancer on June 18, 2011, 09:47:40 AM
Our favourites so far - Kalamki he his now stocking Lykia wines, which are very good,  Mousakka, Oz adna, cafe vita, Kaya, Gironda and White table, which has lovely salads and burgers, not somehting I would usually go for here, and again new wines which are very good.

Isis
Post by: hodstar on June 19, 2011, 08:15:42 AM
Ate at Rose last night.
Great Turkish food at a reasonable price.
Free mezze strarter with fresh bread baked upon your arrival and free Turkish delight and liqueur to end off with
Kamal and Anne make you feel very welcome.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Post by: AllanChris on June 19, 2011, 11:28:48 PM
Chris and I rate the Seaport Restaurant very highly.  Perfect location and views, lovely friendly staff.
It is really our favourite stop for lunch. We share a delicious mixed Meze, with lovely fresh baked bread, followed by Lamb kebab, perfect! Their coffee is the best we tasted during our week in Kalkan.

Our favourites for Dinner have not changed since our first visit, Kaptan, and The Olive Garden. 

The Cafe Del Mar, always great for its charm and ambience.

We'll be back in October! Cheers all.
Post by: suziq on June 20, 2011, 08:40:29 AM
We unfortunately never ate at Seaport Restaurant but it looks very attractive with its unusual coloured tablecloths and fabulous location.

On our last day we had stopped off at the bar next door for a drink (? Cleo). Very nice location but no chat at all from the staff. On leaving Murat from Seaport stopped to chat and said goodbye  "since next door have not bothered". He was very pleasant and we will definitely try it out next year if it is still there.

I said I would give a good post so those of you still lucky enough to be in Kalkan give it a try.
Post by: hodstar on June 20, 2011, 10:25:20 AM
The food just keeps getting better.
Kosk was our latest restaurant visit. Great food with very attentive staff in a great location.
First week over and Kosk is top of the tree for at least one more night.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Post by: Skunk on June 20, 2011, 10:57:10 AM
Do you mean Kosk???  ???
Post by: hodstar on June 20, 2011, 12:58:06 PM
Duh, My mistake :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Post by: Skunk on June 20, 2011, 02:08:34 PM
We all make em! ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Enişte on June 20, 2011, 02:19:33 PM
There are a few on EK that would disagree!
Post by: chrissy1 on June 20, 2011, 02:51:44 PM
Kosk is one of our faves too we went 3 times last year and been back 2 nites ago and food was fab again. We have also fallen in love with fener bar for lunch we are addicted great food and soooo cheap, went to rami's last nite and was very pleasantly surprised food was very well presented and very tasty too also good value, we off to musakka on harbour tonight so hope that be nice, we went to Gironda on saturday night and was very disappointed no where near as good as Coast last year I thought food was average for what they charging and there was no atmosphere in there at all maybe we just hit on a bad night but i know we won't be going back.
Post by: BAS on June 20, 2011, 04:42:40 PM
It's got to be Gourmet! Fantastic food - probably the best in Kalkan. Ate there twice in May/June - will def eat there at least twice in August!
Post by: samson on June 20, 2011, 06:07:34 PM
sounds good and am sure kosk is as good as all the reviews BUT no way would i eat there! a few years ago in the winter the owner of kosk built three villas next to my property and plugged into my electric meter to assist his building! came back to a huge electric bill! i confronted him and he admitted it but was not prepared to reimburse me. no wonder he is one of the richest family's in kalkan!!  >:D
Post by: Rachey on June 20, 2011, 06:19:35 PM
Hey BAS - with you on Gourmet (where Ibo used to be).  Sakir is the best chef in Kalkan IMHO, and his cousin Ibo is lovely.  Sakir's wee brother works there too.  We love it there and are counbting down the days to our next visit in September when OH will have Marble Steak and I'll have Paper Moon...yum  :laugh:
Post by: Alfaman on June 20, 2011, 06:23:31 PM
BAS,
Where is Gourmet restaurant - its not listed on KTLN list.
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 20, 2011, 06:25:44 PM
Rachey - is Sakir the chef from Coast@Gironda? Those dishes sound very familiar..? :)
Alfaman, Gourmet is the former IBO restaurant - above V&B, next door to Gironda.
Post by: Rachey on June 20, 2011, 06:46:25 PM
Hi K4E - yep, Sakir was with Omer and Ilhan at Coast for years.  Ilhan has now gone back to Istanbul and Omer is concentrating on Coast at the harbour.  Sakir is loving having his own place - he is a sweetheart.
Post by: AllanChris on June 20, 2011, 11:21:11 PM

Hodstar, any relation to Superhod?  ;D  8)
Post by: hodstar on June 21, 2011, 09:08:15 AM

Hodstar, any relation to Superhod?  ;D  8)
Afraid not, sorry :(
Post by: Potter on June 21, 2011, 06:13:44 PM
We tried a new restaraunt this time. It's called Aqua and is right next door to Cafe Vita. The food was excellent on both visits and it now provides a bit of competition for CV. Wednesday night see's a 15% discount given which again competes with the BBQ night at CV. The guy who has opened it was formally at Trio. Well recommended.  ;)
Post by: Bdancer on June 23, 2011, 01:37:13 PM
Great meal at Kaya last night, best jumbo prawns I have had in Kalkan, and my OH was very impressed with his Kalamari
Isis
Post by: hodstar on June 25, 2011, 11:51:20 AM
As of yesterday we decided to go back to 3 of our previous restaurants:
Last night we went to Chillies for the sizzling lamb. Ottoman tonight and finally Kosk on Sunday.
Back home on Monday, it will be a sad day. :'(
Post by: dabber29 on June 26, 2011, 07:27:11 PM
Just returned from Kalkan and I really think there are too many restaurants in the town and not enough tourists to fill them. Avoided the overpriced "up market" restaurants close to the harbour and found that a decent filling meal for 2 including Efes & soft drink can easily be had for no more than 40TL (about 16 quid). We ate at Our Home (near the school) twice..8/10 (local family run and good value), Cafe Vita...7/10, Fener Cafe 8/10 (very filling), Begonvil Cafe 8/10, Oz Adana 7.5/10, Foto Pizza 7/10 and Aqua Bar Cafe 7.5/10.         
Post by: Capt Pugwash on June 26, 2011, 07:40:52 PM
Interesting post, dabber29. How did you work out your score rating?....Value for money, service, standard of food etc?
Perhaps that kind of a marking system would work better than the current system as some posters shy away from making "bad" reports?
Post by: dabber29 on June 27, 2011, 06:06:23 PM
Basically value for money really. The service was pretty much the same at all of these places. Obviously the views overlooking the harbour at Fener cafe may be more appealing to some than eating at the Our Home cafe/restaurant up near the school which doesn't have the views but personally I put the standard of cooking and service first.   
Post by: Alan on June 27, 2011, 07:22:32 PM
3rd year in Kalkan and tried some new places, thanks to this forum, If you do fancy somewhere a little bit out of the village, The Lizo Hotel offers fantastic food and great views over the harbour (be it a few hundred yards away) My top 4 are Lizo, Bread and more (also a little bit out of the village) Musakka and value for money and very nice service has to be Fener.  To be honest, the problem is how many restaurants can you try in 13 days?
Post by: itstime on July 21, 2011, 06:32:25 PM
Without doubt the best and cheapest lunch we had (several times) was at the new Pide restaurant just opposite the greengrocers. Was called Hunta something I think ???
 Bread and meze starters, pide for 1 and Chicken Shis with rice salad etc plus 2 soft drinks, all for 20 lira. Huge portions and delicious :) Always absolutely packed with people both day and night. Nothing fancy but delicious food :)
Top marks also to Fenner. Had lunch several times in past years but decided to try it for dinner this year and were not disappointed! Tremendous value for excellently prepared food and a great atmosphere.
Tried Isos again and had a wonderful meal. The owner is such a lovely man and we shared many stories of Kalkan over the years. Lamb shank thoroughly recommended :) The night we were there we were the only 2 people in and felt so sad that more people weren't around to enjoy this lovely restaurant.
Tried the new rooftop restaurant at the Dionysia, excellent food, a wonderful welcome and views to die for.
Post by: Potter on July 21, 2011, 07:19:49 PM

Tried the new rooftop restaurant at the Dionysia, excellent food, a wonderful welcome and views to die for.
[/quote]

This is the first time I've heard a comment regarding the Dionysia.
I have stayed there 3 times  but before the restaraunt opened. I am happy to hear your comments, be good to hear if anyone else has been. Well done Ahmet & Kate  
 ;)
Post by: KalkanKath on July 22, 2011, 03:21:27 PM
We had an excellent meal at the Dionysia's rooftop restaurant recently - wonderful views and the service and food were very good. We'd definitely go back again.
Post by: deepasforever1 on July 29, 2011, 06:04:26 PM
We've had lots of good meals so far this holiday.  These include:
Fener cafe and Ali Baba - excellent value, great food and friendly service. (However: Fener cafe did have a few mosquitoes buzzing around, so best be prepared!)
The Ivy and Saffron - lovely meals with freebies - mid price range
Cafe Vita barbecue - great food and lots of it and some good musicians to entertain.  Staff are really friendly and helpful too.  However, the night we went it seemed as if everyone came early, stuffed themselves to bursting point and then moved on before about 9.30pm.  It seemed a shame that the musicians were performing to a very small, but appreciative audience.
Bread 'n more - great evening with good food and good musicians and staff who really knew how to get people to enjoy themselves.  Not cheap.
Doy Doy - Some lovely food and lots of it and great attentive staff.  Really nice feel to this restaurant although again not cheap! 
Hotel Kalube (Kalamar bay) beach club restaurant - little gem for lunch time.  Simple, good food and beautifully sited.
Just off to try somewhere else now!
Post by: misty on August 11, 2011, 01:25:05 PM

Think we get the point no need for any more advertising  :)
Post by: samson on August 11, 2011, 04:23:05 PM
ditto
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 11, 2011, 04:44:12 PM
Totally fed up of the dionysia self promotion. Telling us about it onece is enough! I'm surprised it has been allowed for so long. I for one won't be visiting, I prefer recommendation from others, not management.
Post by: Mags on August 11, 2011, 05:02:27 PM
Totally agree: do the management of the Dionysia think we're all so daft that we would visit a place just because the management keep promoting it?

We also won't be going there, as this constant self-promotion is SOOOOO annoying.
Post by: tortoise lady on August 11, 2011, 05:24:36 PM
I also agree.   I had been making a note to try their wine tasting evening.   Sounded a good idea.   

I have now been rather put off.   Having told us about it what a pity it wasn't left at that.  I hope other restaurants will take notice that although we are happy to hear about new places it is very off-putting to have all this self promotion. 

Nevertheless I appreciate how hard it must be, especially for new restaurants, with all the competition in Kalkan.   I hope that any forum members who do try Dionysia will come back with glowing reports and encourage others to try it.    It would certainly be a handy place for me, not too far to walk and with a view.    Missed Atlantis roof top restaurant when there in June.    Good food, warm welcome, and a view.   

If I relent and try Dionysia I will certainly report back on the food and the wine.
Post by: pw on August 11, 2011, 07:10:11 PM
this thread  now has nothing to do with EARLY season reviews or otherwise!
Title: Re: Any restaurant reviews for 2011?
Post by: Chucky on August 11, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
 Thread Heading altered to reflect content   :)
Post by: fidimax on August 11, 2011, 07:18:24 PM
they have really messed up at this hotel with all this advertising,just the  people off EK who say they wont go has lost them money,but,maybe it should have been stopped a few days ago by the administrators at EK,it seems this ad has been allowed to run and run.
Post by: itstime on August 11, 2011, 07:24:23 PM
Agree about the constant advertising but have to say I had a wonderful meal there last month and wouldnt hesitate to return. As stated, maybe if it had been pointed out to whoever is making the posts earlier that the constant plugging isn't really acceptable then more people would go along to see for themselves.
Sometimes it's hard to get across the message that most people don't like feeling harrassed into trying something, including overly zealous greeters and market stall holders.
Post by: Chucky on August 11, 2011, 07:55:56 PM
The posts have now been removed.....but unless people press the orange "Report to moderator" button, it is easy to miss some of the posts.
When I come on the Forum, I tend to use the "Recent unread topic" option and if there are other posts after the offending ones or it is not a topic I am particularly interested in, I can miss things.
So please, use the report button and if possible try not to comment or post after them. It is easy to remove a last post on a thread but not as easy to remove one in the middle as the subsequent posts then don't make sense and sometimes have to be removed too.
Post by: Potter on August 11, 2011, 07:57:35 PM
Thread Heading altered to reflect content   :)

Nice 1 Joan, I was thinking along the same lines. ......Just like receiving emails at work where the subject has nothing to do with the content or has changed
 ;)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal