Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Politics & Debate => Topic started by: Enjoy Kalkan on May 07, 2011, 08:24:19 AM

Title: Is Kalkan now too British?
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on May 07, 2011, 08:24:19 AM
Whilst this topic may flare up opinions, which is not the intention, more to have a reasoned debate; some have said Kalkan is now just too British.

What do you think?

Title: Re: Is Kalkan now too British?
Post by: misty on May 07, 2011, 10:01:58 AM
Define too British ?
Post by: paulie1955 on May 10, 2011, 10:30:20 PM
Kalkan seems dominated by brits--none too bad that I have ever seen. But it would be nice to see different nationalities. And why can't mancurians have elocution lessons and speak estuary english!
Post by: misty on May 10, 2011, 10:50:32 PM

OMG Wait for it you will have started something now...Manks are OK its Brummies that are really grating  :) :)
Post by: Wally on May 11, 2011, 04:32:44 AM
 :( Please remember that if not for the British both living & visiting Kalkan the economy would not be so vibrant! I would suggest then that if people want to see numerous other nationalities then maybe it would be a good idea to go to London for a holiday  ??? But don't forget your phrase book  ;)
Post by: MouMou on May 11, 2011, 09:00:54 AM
Paulie 1955 I think the word you are looking for is "Mancunian" perhaps when the elecution lessons were being held we were too busy with our spelling tests and making sure we knew what we were talking about. 
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 11, 2011, 11:40:03 AM
Great!! so now we have insulted good folk from Manchester and Birmingham(me).....now for me THAT is too British!!

As for kalkan?   i think it's fine!.... ;)
Post by: Denners on May 11, 2011, 11:47:05 AM
Kalkan is what it is ! Paradise........
Post by: Denners on May 11, 2011, 12:06:41 PM
Not being a cynic !  ;) Why didn't we win the quix last night ?
Post by: Joules on May 11, 2011, 01:03:23 PM
We got the same amount of questions correct as the winners- but lost because we had 6 in our team and they only had 4!
Post by: Joules on May 11, 2011, 01:13:24 PM
Sorry Enişte, but if you too are picking on others linguistic abilities and spelling, I think you also need to check your own - no apostrophe required in others! :-)
Post by: RosiB on May 11, 2011, 01:39:38 PM
It does need an apostrophe - but after the "s" - others' - not before it!
Post by: tortoise lady on May 11, 2011, 02:19:58 PM
A few years ago when in Kalkan I met a couple who "liked Kalkan" but thought there were a lot of English people and they wanted to "meet Turkish people and be able to try out some Turkish".

My jaw dropped.    Yes, there are a lot of British people, especially in summer, but almost everyone owning restaurants or working as waiters are Turkish.    Shops likewise.   Ditto for beach clubs, boats, Turkish baths etc.   Don't think I have ever met a pool man, gardener or cleaner who wasn't Turkish.    Even where one of the restaurant owners are British  they are generally married to a Turkish person.   

So plenty of opportunities to meet and talk to Turkish people.    Kalkan has a relaxed feel mediterranean feel and lots of good Turkish food and drink.    Not to mention the scenery and buildings which don't look British to me.

I believe that many Russians are now coming to Kalkan and I have certainly seen/heard quite a lot of Germans.

Hope there will be lots of you who will agree with me that despite so very many of the visitors coming to Kalkan being British you still feel very much that you are in Turkey whilst in Kalkan.
Post by: howmad on May 11, 2011, 03:14:58 PM
You are of course correct, the overwhelming nationality is Turkish. With Brits coming in a very poor second. There are also Americans, Australians, French, Dutch, Belgians, Italians, Russians , Bulgarians, Swedes and Germans. Remember too that Kalkan is twinned with an Italian town not a British one.
Post by: Babs on May 11, 2011, 05:34:50 PM
Yes, the majority of visitors to Kalkan are British, but it's not like other places which are 'too British' in 'tea like mother makes' kind of way.
Post by: maryjane on May 11, 2011, 06:43:46 PM
If people are concerned Kalkan is becoming "too British" - go elsewhere.  There is a big, wide world out there to discover >:D
Post by: Random on May 12, 2011, 11:22:22 PM
 I didn't think Kalkan was becoming too British until EK members started giving eachother grammar lessons - now I'm not sure! Can't we have an auto translate so that anyone from any country can join in? If 'auto correct' is anything to go by it could make this forum very entertaining indeed!
Post by: Mick the Loiner on May 13, 2011, 03:50:14 AM
If Kalkan is "too British" at least it,s a nice British.It does seem to attrached a certain class of people,unlike some of the Brits you see at the airport who look like they are part of the cast of "Shamless".
Post by: tonik1945 on May 13, 2011, 09:35:55 AM
Actually "SnobsRUs" seems like a fitting description for some of the comments on here >:D >:D >:D
Post by: merseydave on July 04, 2011, 02:53:23 PM
It will become too British when they have 'catchups' of Stenders and Corrie available, along with 'real British Brekkies' advertised everywhere. Bars booming thumping music till 6 in the morning.
God forbid.
Do I get my slot on Grumpy Old Men now???
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on July 04, 2011, 03:10:38 PM
Translate box added :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal