Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Travel and Accommodation => Flights and Travel => Topic started by: Kim on October 06, 2007, 09:36:19 PM

Title: Not so fantastic taxis
Post by: Kim on October 06, 2007, 09:36:19 PM
So....the taxi situation....we did a bi shop on our 1st day and had no choice other than to get a taxi back.  Cost us almost twice what we paid in April, so we simply decided to walk at all times and actually ended up enjoying it.  We are up Kalamar Road, sharp left turn past the Elixir Hotel, UP a great steep hill!  But we have come back fitter, saved around 280L over a fortnight and will not be stuffed by greedy taxi drivers.  When we can spend a day on a Gulet with lunch, tea and cake, mud bath and fantasic sevice for 30L for a full day and then are faced with a taxi bill for 10L for 4 minutes...........its frankly not on.   :(

Unless the taxi prices become fair and affordable, we just won''t pay.
Title: Re: Not so fantastic taxis
Post by: holidayfever on October 06, 2007, 10:27:23 PM
Fair coment, and at least if you walk you can have a pudding and walk it off.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 07, 2007, 07:13:34 AM
kim.... i thoroughly agree with you,i too have been in my last kalkan taxi ;)
Post by: debby on October 08, 2007, 03:58:37 PM
         We are back end of October and are hiring a car after working out what we paid on
taxis in July.One more less using the taxis.
                               Heath.
Post by: Begonvil on October 09, 2007, 01:55:44 PM
We to have decided not to use the taxis, unless it is in desperation.

We are in Kalkan on the 16th November and have booked a car which we pick up at Dalaman airport and it as only cost £110 for the week. A lot cheaper than having transfers and having the odd taxi!!!
Post by: felicity on October 09, 2007, 02:12:07 PM
Begonvil - that''s incredibly cheap - at not quite £16 per day - how did you find that and who is that with...???

Cheers!
Post by: Begonvil on October 09, 2007, 02:29:23 PM
Hi Felicity.

I had a look at travel supermarket on the net, put the details in and it came up with this, it is with economy car hire, should have been £116 but got the 6 pound off with booking on line.

This price includes two named drivers as well, So any one in Kalkan from the 16th November stay indoors because I am going to have a go at driving there this time!!!!!
Post by: mouse on October 09, 2007, 05:10:58 PM
well I''m not drinking Efes in your kitchen this time round if you are driving!!!!!!
Post by: felicity on October 09, 2007, 06:05:24 PM
Thanks Begonvil for that info - I''ll take a look - driving to Kalkan from Dalaman is a piece of cake as is driving round Kalkan...so I''m sure no need for the streets to be cleared..!!  LOL!! ;D ;D
Post by: Begonvil on October 09, 2007, 11:18:25 PM
Hi Mouse.

You can still drink the efes in my kitchen, because i don,t drink and drive. You have not seen my driving when i am sober, especially when it comes to parking!!!! I need a space to fit a double Decker bus in.

See you soon

Amanda
Post by: Brooksie on October 10, 2007, 03:44:20 PM
Have used Economy car hire before and they are fine. Much cheaper than the taxi alternative.
Post by: Kuzu on October 12, 2007, 10:45:09 AM
We use economycarrentals everytime....by the time you take off the £90 transfer, it works out great...we''ve always had a virtually new car too...only thing I''d mention is to watch when you pick it up...if its in the dark you can see any scratches so make sure you write this on the "pick up" form..also ensure petrol indicator is marked....we picked ours up in september 3/4''s full and on the way back filled it up at Kalkan and then by the time we got back to Dalaman it was just over 3/4 but the lads try to say it was full when we picked it up....just be sensible...but apart from that - fine!
Post by: Begonvil on October 12, 2007, 10:51:39 AM
Thanks kuzu for that advise, it will be dark when we pick the car up so I will bear in  mind what you have said about scratches and the petrol gauge.

Like you said when there is just the two of you it does work out cheaper than having transfers.

Thanks Amanda
Post by: kal1 on October 12, 2007, 02:42:08 PM
we too are now having car hire instead of taxis
Post by: Honey on October 12, 2007, 03:04:23 PM
Yip.No more taxis for us in future.Will be hiring.
Post by: Brooksie on October 13, 2007, 10:21:21 AM
I hope some of the local taxi drivers read this. Maybe they will think a bit more about what they are doing. I am a firm believer in earning a decent living. But if you are selling a service it has to be affordable for the majority, otherwise you price yourself out of the market.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 13, 2007, 12:25:32 PM
It suprised me that things have gone up so much in Taksi land.....

33 Lira for a couple of rounds of drinks for us both in Utopia
21 Lira for a taxi from Utopia to Patara Prince!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  >:( >:( >:(

But, things will be different next year  ;D
Post by: holidayfever on October 13, 2007, 01:32:07 PM
What do you know that we dont. :o
Post by: felicity on October 13, 2007, 01:47:13 PM
Come on Jon - you can''t say things like ''things will be different next year'' and leave it at that! >:D >:D

Tell us please - put us out of our misery so that those people who need to use taxis don''t have to start saving now..!!  :P
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 13, 2007, 02:11:39 PM
Sorry I cant, but fingers crossed, lets see what next year has in store for us all  :)
Post by: Buster on October 13, 2007, 02:17:59 PM
Sorry I cant, but fingers crossed, lets see what next year has in store for us all  :)

PM me with what you Know Jon

I won''t tell Honest  :-X
Post by: Honey on October 13, 2007, 03:47:06 PM
Perhaps  the taxi drivers will give a hefty discount only if we wear our Enjoykalkan badges.lol ;D
Post by: Mustafa Raki on November 04, 2007, 05:10:58 PM
Des pite the increased costs I used Taxis regularly on my last holiday. I did not tip like I usually do and this did not go down well at all.  They can''t expect to double their price and still get a tip.  I have heard that it is now possible to buy a scooter without a permanent visa and this may be the way to go.  I did not use the restaurants in the harbour this time as the cost of taxi back up was too much.  The harbour restaurant owners should be concerned as this will eventually affect their businesses.
Post by: mjweedon on April 16, 2008, 02:22:12 PM
Did we ever find out what Jon was talking about when he mentioned "will be different next year" ???
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 16, 2008, 03:52:19 PM
no
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on April 16, 2008, 03:55:35 PM
..... I was told something but its not happened... sorry!
Post by: Hoca on April 16, 2008, 04:01:16 PM
I don''t use taxi''s luckily and i sympathise with any one that has to. Yes petrol is expensive and i think transfers are fair but local fares are unreal. Most of them are gas or diesel which is a lot less, i suppose if you are staying out of town you could try to share taxis with people form the same hotel
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 16, 2008, 06:10:16 PM
.....or walk. After a couple of days you will not even notice the muscle ache, I swear  ;) but you will notice that your clothes still fit you by the second week :laugh:
See the hills as a challenge ...and a reason to have those extra efes, cocktails or Sofra''s chocolate cake.

Just be aware the the heat, and walking uphill will produce unsightly sweat patches and (in my case) hair that is half stuck to your head and half frizzy mess. Not painting an attractive picture here am I?? :P
Post by: littlelin on April 16, 2008, 06:17:24 PM
Only problem with walking is with all the extra liquid you have to drink. I get halfway along Kalamar Road and then am in dire need of a toilet.  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 16, 2008, 06:21:33 PM
....perfect excuse to stop along the way for more efes, littlelin  ;D It''s all in the planning!
Post by: msr on April 16, 2008, 07:11:43 PM
We use taxis sometimes but often walk from the town back to Patara Prince. Wouldn''t attempt it in the day but late evening, once up the steep incline out of the town the road is flat and being high up there is nearly always a breeze. I have done this walk alone a few times, quite safe but cars and motorbikes kept stopping to offer me lifts! (I declined). As long as you are reasonably fit this trek is quite ''do able''.
Post by: Chucky on April 16, 2008, 07:34:16 PM
I agree msr, we have done the walk at night but from a friends back into Kalkan.
However, I would advise a torch, wear something light/reflective and keep close to the edge of the road so traffic can see you.
Post by: Mrs B on April 16, 2008, 10:58:20 PM
Oooooh there are some lovely sights from half way up the hill to Begonvil appartments!!!
We have to stop off...for the view of course, not for any other reason, not because we need to catch our breaths or anything!!

(https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ftickers.TickerFactory.com%2Fezt%2Fd%2F4%3B10732%3B0%2Fst%2F20080830%2Fe%2FKalkan%2Bhere%2Bwe%2Bcome%2521%2Fdt%2F5%2Fk%2F4f2f%2Fevent.png&hash=e5b937575187cc0d56a149b95136292981818633)
 (http://www.TickerFactory.com/)
Post by: The Reds on April 18, 2008, 07:16:26 PM
Hi

I got stung with the taxi''s last week I just missed the 5.30 Dolmus to Akbel and a taxi driver came running over asking me if I wanted a taxi. Begrudgingly I got in as I had loads of shopping and he ripped me off 17.5 lira...Not happy and I told him so.. >:(   
Post by: kevincat99 on April 18, 2008, 07:45:48 PM
Hi Mariesar
Like everything in Turkey always ask the price first - if you are not happy haggle - but do it before the event not after 
Post by: Mustafa Raki on April 18, 2008, 08:21:32 PM
If you are in a restaurant/bar and call a taxi why not ask around to see if anyone else is going inthe same direction as you, then you can share the cost.  Why not take a taxi just for part of your journey (eg up heart attack hill ) and walk the easy part?
Post by: The Reds on April 19, 2008, 10:38:54 AM
In reply to Kevincat I did try and haggle a price beforehand and I am fully aware of how expensive these Taxis are. Unfortunately the driver said he goes off his meter. So I had to pay or I would still be walking to Akbel now. Maybe I should invest in a donkey...great for getting up the hills.  :D   
Post by: rhythm on April 19, 2008, 11:20:31 AM
Mariesar, that is what we have been discussing with few friends after the last increase in fuel prices, its 3,36 ytl/lt now for 95-unleaded. Get a donkey and dont worry about fuel, taxes, exhaust emmission certificates, the periodical check in Kas where you wait 5 hours in the queue... when someone wants still your car, they will probably be able to do it, but donkeys have self-protection, a high kick and off the thiefs go, a lot better and quaranteed than the expensive alarm systems. No parking fines, and additional stuff for your fireplace for winters..  ;D ;D
Post by: itstime on April 19, 2008, 11:37:11 AM
you put your donkey in the fireplace!!!!!!! :o  ;)
Post by: rhythm on April 19, 2008, 11:48:25 AM
Of course not, didnt you know that the feces of donkeys, horses, cows etc. has been used for heating all through history, and is still being used in undeveloped parts of the world. It would be quite stinky, tho, as you would imagine  ;D ;D
Post by: Hoca on April 19, 2008, 12:44:56 PM
Remember to keep your donkey in the shade
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 19, 2008, 01:09:22 PM
what a brilliant idea!! by the time you have got your donkey,horse or cow to poo on the fire ..you forget about the cold  ;D ;D
Post by: The Reds on April 19, 2008, 06:43:11 PM
Ive just been informed that if you leave Donkey Poo out in the sun for a while ... Its ideal for putting on the fire .. and no smell apparently..Keeps it going for ages  :D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal