Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: Christina on March 01, 2011, 10:39:24 PM

Title: Rosehip! An exciting new restaurant - opening this spring....
Post by: Christina on March 01, 2011, 10:39:24 PM
While I was in Kalkan at New Year, I was shown the beginnings of an exciting new terrace restaurant, in a fantastic location - due to open this spring.  It’s called Rosehip and will be owned and run by Mecit (Orlando) – the well-known charismatic and dashingly handsome front man from the Ozalp restaurant. The menu will feature authentic Northern Turkish cuisine, along with old favourites.  But here’s the twist: there will be dishes incorporating local rosehips into their recipes – including an exotic-sounding Rosehip Cocktail! The restaurant terrace has the most amazing sea views, and I believe there are also plans for live music, with a separate bar on the street below. It is situated just down from Belgin’s Kitchen, on the road down towards the sea, opposite the Old Trading Post. Definitely sounds worth a visit. I will be back in Kalkan at the end of March, so I will report back with my findings!
Title: Re: Rosehip! An exciting new restaurant - opening this spring....
Post by: turkeyfan on March 01, 2011, 11:13:40 PM
Sounds good.  Is it in place of an 'old' restaurant?
Post by: kevincat99 on March 02, 2011, 04:35:13 AM
Was the Rendevous Restaurant maybe?
Post by: Johnjen on March 02, 2011, 08:22:46 AM
Fez
Post by: Rachey on March 02, 2011, 07:45:23 PM
Oh no - please don't say the wonderful Fez is no more!  Its one of our favourites  ???
Post by: Christina on March 14, 2011, 10:46:52 AM
No it isn't a former restaurant, fans of Fez will be relieved to know!  It is a former dwelling house, just down from Belgin's Kitchen - right in the heart of town.  I understand it will be open for Easter, and there will be a website showing photos of the restoration.  I'll post the link to the site as soon as I have it.
Post by: Rachey on March 14, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
Phew!  Thanks for that - we love Fez.  Lots of new places to try this year as usual...can't wait  :D
Post by: kevincat99 on March 14, 2011, 08:55:30 PM
Rachey - lots of new places maybe, but will they all be the same as the others ???
Post by: Rachey on March 14, 2011, 09:36:06 PM
hey Kevincat - don't really mind if some are fairly samey - it means meeting folk we might not have otherwise met, and there's usually something different about each place.  I'm delighted there are folk who are trying to make a go of things and to try and make a good life for themselves and their families.  Heaven knows it's hard work - I was GM of a hotel in St Andrews and the hospitality industry consumes all your life and energy!  I say good luck to them - it doesn't surprise me that many only last a year - over 70% of restaurants in the UK fail within one year - I wish them all well and will happily hand my money over after yet another lovely meal with lovely people  :)
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 14, 2011, 09:43:51 PM
as we all know a lot of it is musical chairs...premises being swapped and staff changing...with so much choice and more people self catering and eating in it will be a hard year i fear.we used to eat out every night but now like others buy supplies and eat in only going out a few nights to eat each week....
Post by: Christina on April 01, 2011, 07:26:51 AM
There is lots of frantic building activity going on in Kalkan this week - I am being woken at 8 am every morning to the sound of distant bulldozers, drills and diggers, as the town prepares for the season.  It's been fascinating watching the resturants make their final preparations - pick-up trucks revving in back streets, potted palms being ferried up to roof terraces, banisters being polished, walls painted and bars stocked; staff wearing singlets and flip flops perched precariously and unwisely on high and fragile structures, weilding a deadly circular saw in one hand and a fag in the other (Moonlight Bar) - amid much shouting and balling as the inevitable assembled crowd of chain-smoking onlookers down below shout helpful advice from the terraces. It feels a bit like being behind the scenes on a movie set on opening night. I've been with Mecit as Rosehip this week, where the guys are working round the clock to finish off the restaurant, ready for opening at the end of April. As a sort of house-warming gift, and as my contribution to this brave and bold venture, it's been my pleasure to develop the branding, website and menus for Rosehip. Sitting outside the Yali Bar with my laptop on my knee and a chilled glass of wine within reach, certainly beats being back in my office in rainy Manchester!
Post by: zros on April 01, 2011, 07:58:13 AM
Morning Christina,
What an amazing job you have describing the scene set in Kalkan whilst sipping chilled wine in my dream place.
I will certainly be visiting the 'Rosehip' in May when I come out with my best friend celebrating my 50th.  You mentioned there might be live music, any idea what type?
Where would you suggest is the best place to hear Jazz whilst feeling the warm breeze on your cheeks, smelling romantic spices experiencing that colourful  magical culture whilst admiring the amazing view? Not to mention a cocktail in ones' hand.
Have a wonderful day, Zros.
Post by: Cuddles on April 01, 2011, 09:18:36 AM
"much shouting and balling as the inevitable assembled crowd"

While the Tukish lads may be up for it, I think you meant 'bawling'?

Sorry, I can't help being a pedant.
Post by: BAS on April 01, 2011, 05:24:14 PM
Hi - where exactly is Rosehip please? BAS
Post by: misty on April 01, 2011, 05:58:36 PM
There is lots of frantic building activity going on in Kalkan this week - I am being woken at 8 am every morning to the sound of distant bulldozers, drills and diggers, as the town prepares for the season.  It's been fascinating watching the resturants make their final preparations - pick-up trucks revving in back streets, potted palms being ferried up to roof terraces, banisters being polished, walls painted and bars stocked; staff wearing singlets and flip flops perched precariously and unwisely on high and fragile structures, weilding a deadly circular saw in one hand and a fag in the other (Moonlight Bar) - amid much shouting and balling as the inevitable assembled crowd of chain-smoking onlookers down below shout helpful advice from the terraces. It feels a bit like being behind the scenes on a movie set on opening night. I've been with Mecit as Rosehip this week, where the guys are working round the clock to finish off the restaurant, ready for opening at the end of April. As a sort of house-warming gift, and as my contribution to this brave and bold venture, it's been my pleasure to develop the branding, website and menus for Rosehip. Sitting outside the Yali Bar with my laptop on my knee and a chilled glass of wine within reach, certainly beats being back in my office in rainy Manchester!

Fantastic description I can see it all going on now....one day I will get out there out of season... ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Black Pearl on April 10, 2011, 12:13:48 AM
Hello everyone The rosehip restaurant will be one of your favourite place in Kalkan.There are lots of traditional Turkish dishes from North of Turkey.Good quality,fabilous meal and resenable price.
Post by: alantj on April 10, 2011, 08:12:46 AM
Do you have a date for the opening, we arrive in Kalkan tomorrow and if its open would like to give it a try.
Post by: Black Pearl on April 12, 2011, 06:28:40 PM
The rosehip will be open about last week of aprıl....The chef  from northen turkey,Headwaiter from Paprika  Restaurant the other guys from tourizm school....
Title: ROSEHIP RESTAURANT
Post by: Black Pearl on April 12, 2011, 09:17:58 PM
In a couple of days the website of the rosehip will be ready
Post by: alantj on April 13, 2011, 07:32:53 AM
It seems to be is open already.

I walked past it last night and had a look at the menu, there were no customers (like half the restaurants at this time of year) in but I was invited in.

Title: ROSEHIP
Post by: Black Pearl on April 13, 2011, 09:57:44 AM
It will be ready to open next week
Post by: alantj on April 13, 2011, 10:19:07 PM
Sorry a bit of confusion on my part. It was the Rose restaurant (formally the Extinct) I saw open last night not the Rosehip.

I hope no one rushed off to try it and missed out on their dinner tonight.   
Title: ROSE and ROSEHIP ARE DIFFERENT RESTAURANTS
Post by: Black Pearl on April 14, 2011, 10:58:02 AM
Rose Restaurant is next to the OZADANA
ROSEHIP RESTAURANT down  in the center opposite the old trading house...
Title: rosehıp restaurant
Post by: Black Pearl on April 14, 2011, 02:29:27 PM
Hello everyone we are hopıng to open rosehıp 23 of aprıl workıng very hard The ROSEHIP RESTAURANT wıll be one of your favorıte place
Post by: Black Pearl on April 16, 2011, 01:49:04 AM
ROSEHIP RESTAURANT will be open end of april..Rose restaurant is different place next to the öz adana They are open at the moment
Post by: virgin mary on April 20, 2011, 05:31:57 PM
I cant understand why people are raving about a restaurant that hasnt even opened yet!

People seem to be using this as an oppertunity to advertise their own restaurant, or an attatchment to a restaurant, compared to some other fantastic restaurants which havent even been mentioned (which were also open around New Year time when the original poster came to Kalkan). These would have been the half a dozen restaurants that stay open all year round which can not be missed at this time of the year.

Post by: Enişte on April 20, 2011, 05:48:44 PM
Good comment VM.  I wish every success to all old and new restaurants in Kalkan, but there are other ways of getting free publicity and this forum should concentrate on reviewing restaurants rather than "blowing the trumpets" of friends' places.  Before anyone complains, I know I have promoted Ramis on here, but they have already proven themselves.  Bon appetit!
Post by: junehzrn on April 20, 2011, 06:33:21 PM
Lots of luck to any new venture - there is a good choice of eating places available and so competition is rife. Kalkan is blessed with many good eating places - and some of them brave the winter to continue to offer this service. I applaud them. In the season they will continue to offer this fantastic service.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on April 20, 2011, 06:48:34 PM
I think Black Pearl is just a bit excited
Im letting it go, Easter spirit and all that  :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 20, 2011, 07:52:54 PM
I know I sound like a grump, which I'm not, but it's put me off going! The first few postings were informative but then became boring and though the moderators would intervene.

If it's good it will get the visitors and if it isn't it won't but I don't really want someone repeatedly telling me for weeks how good an unopen restaurant will be and that it will be my favourite place, it makes it sound desperate. You could fill the forum every spring with new restaurants telling you how good they are going to be.

However you look at it it is advertising (not customer recommendation or an informative answer following a question about a restaurant), which I thought wasn't allowed on this site. Now a precedent has been set perhaps all new restaurants should have a friend repeatedly telling us how good the yet to open restaurant will be.

Post by: junehzrn on April 21, 2011, 07:43:41 PM
i agree entirely Kalkan Regular - and of course best of luck to any new venture. if it works it works :)
Post by: Black Pearl on May 02, 2011, 12:50:16 PM
Thanks chriss
Post by: kevincat99 on May 02, 2011, 03:12:37 PM

Has ıt actually opened yet and has anybody been?
Post by: KalkanKat on May 02, 2011, 09:01:13 PM
Well, according to the comments page it's been open a while ;-)

http://rosehipkalkan.com/rosehip_white3_003.htm
Post by: Rachey on May 02, 2011, 09:19:29 PM
Wow - does it come with its own Tardis? Seriously though - making up reviews is a bit silly...and rather puts me off trying it, to be honest  ::)
Post by: maryjane on May 02, 2011, 09:35:05 PM
Wow!  Nice to see the "happy couple" have praised their wedding reception, held in June 2011!!!!!  Wonder what date they will celebrate their anniversary in 2012.  Obviously work on a different calendar/time warp to us mere mortals!!  Or have I lost a month? >:D >:D >:D >:D
Post by: Random on May 02, 2011, 10:32:53 PM
Fantastic, will they be able to tell me my future too? I can't wait!! I've always thought that fortune tellers  were the one thing missing in Kalkan, and this new restaurant can not only tell you whats going to happen in the future but also what you will be saying about it! Scary or what. . .?
Post by: maryjane on May 03, 2011, 08:08:39 AM
Do you think, if I asked them nicely, they would give me the winning numbers of the Euro lottery, to be drawn this coming Friday?  I am sure they know them by now! :P :P :P
Post by: Enişte on May 03, 2011, 09:03:11 AM
Maybe just me, but the 'Reviews' button seems to have been disabled, which makes sense.  Let's just wait and see but we should wish them well with this new venture
Post by: pw on May 03, 2011, 09:08:55 AM
Agreed. Assume the website is still in "test" mode. I'll certainly give it a whirl in July.
Post by: saskia on May 03, 2011, 10:37:47 AM
I too am sure it was just a demo to see how the website could look. Probably didn't expect anyone to even look at it as the restaurant wasn't open yet. I wish them luck too.
Post by: Christina on May 05, 2011, 06:54:42 AM
Hi folks - to set the record straight - yes the website was a dummy, and was never intended to be launched or promoted until the restaurant opened. It's my first attempt at web design, as a favour to a good friend, so it needed a test period. Anyhow, if anyone's interested - the site is good to go now, and contains the actual menu worked up with the chef, along with some photos of the 'finishing touches' being put to the place when I was there last week. The fab Turkish lanterns were bought from the lantern shop round the corner. Anyone who knows Mecit will forgive his exhuberance; I have seldom seen anyone so driven by a project, and determined for it to succeed. So let's give the man a break and wish him well. I am as baffled as anyone about the absence of business plans, architects drawings and firm launch plans for Rosehip - but isn't that the charm of being in a place like this? Anyhow, I got a text from Mecit yesterday morning to announce that the new bar below the restaurant was now open, that it was full of people, and that they were playing a bit of Santana - Samba-pa-ti - which was wonderful news. I am back in Kalkan next Wednesday for 10 days, when there is every chance the restaurant itself might be open! As you guys point out, there are dozens of top class places out there, and competition is tough. But I guess my fascination with this project has been with the personal struggles and financial challenges which a lovely friend has fought to overcome to realise his dream, rather than with the actual nuts and bolts of a restaurant. And they say that any publicity is good publicity, so thanks for all your comments - good and bad. For now, Christina is logging off.....
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 05, 2011, 08:20:46 AM
A bar? Santana? my interest is awoken!!... ;)
Post by: Leigh on May 05, 2011, 08:47:11 AM
The web site doesn't appear to be working
Post by: tonik1945 on May 05, 2011, 10:04:44 AM
A bar? Santana? my interest is awoken!!... ;)
Mine too  ;D ;D
Post by: misty on May 05, 2011, 11:27:30 AM

Just checked out the website looks great will try it out in August...cant quite place where it is....did this building used to be a gift shop ??? the run of shops etc just above the harbour.......????
Post by: Christina on May 05, 2011, 12:24:15 PM
OK, the web server was down for a while this morning, but pleased to report that the website is now back in full swing: www.rosehipkalkan.com. Oh yes about the music, I made some compilation CDs of cool vibes to create a chill-out holiday atmosphere (Fleetfoxes/Roxy/Bacharach/Rumer/gentle indie) - much better than all that Europop stuff. For those still struggling to locate the place, stand at the Yali Bar, look down the hill towards the sea, you have Belgin's kitchen on the left, followed by Rosehip, followed by Fez.  On the other side of the street you have Pascha at the top, then Black Lion Properties, then the Old Trading House. There is a classic photo in the Gallery section of the site ('your photos') of the pre-built 'bar' arriving on the back of a truck, then being lifted and handballed into the building without a fag ever having to leave a mouth! I just love it!
Post by: Charlie on May 05, 2011, 01:04:26 PM
Look forward to trying it in July.  Good Luck to Mecit and crew!
Post by: misty on May 05, 2011, 01:59:09 PM
OK, the web server was down for a while this morning, but pleased to report that the website is now back in full swing: www.rosehipkalkan.com. Oh yes about the music, I made some compilation CDs of cool vibes to create a chill-out holiday atmosphere (Fleetfoxes/Roxy/Bacharach/Rumer/gentle indie) - much better than all that Europop stuff. For those still struggling to locate the place, stand at the Yali Bar, look down the hill towards the sea, you have Belgin's kitchen on the left, followed by Rosehip, followed by Fez.  On the other side of the street you have Pascha at the top, then Black Lion Properties, then the Old Trading House. There is a classic photo in the Gallery section of the site ('your photos') of the pre-built 'bar' arriving on the back of a truck, then being lifted and handballed into the building without a fag ever having to leave a mouth! I just love it!

Got it now I was miles out........thanks for confirming....  :D :D :D :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 05, 2011, 03:15:53 PM
Have spent many an early morning chatting to Mecit in the Moonlight Bar,,,,,I wish him well!
be nice to have a bit of Turkish music too!......if not have a listen to Groove Armada(ideal chilled bar music ;) )
Post by: onelove on May 05, 2011, 04:22:00 PM
The menu looks great, good luck.
Post by: Christina on May 07, 2011, 08:13:03 AM
So, there have been a couple of mentions of ideal 'holiday' music (Jazz, chill-out). Now don't get me wrong - in a place as steeped in atmosphere as Kalkan, no one needs to have a background soundtrack of Turkish music more than I do, and sometimes, only utter peace will do, but I have to admit that I am sometimes drawn in when I unexpectedly catch the strains of a favourite song from home coming from a distant bar. And I got to thinking... what would other forum members like to see on their ideal holiday 'soundtrack'. I love music; I make my own compilation CD before every holiday, and share with local bar owners. There are already 6 of mine circulating in Kalkan, and waiting to be played at Rosehip. I am off there again on 11th/21st May and am only half way through my next playlist. I'd welcome any suggestions/contributions from other forum members, and you never know, next time you are there, you may just hear your song!

So far I have:
Samba-pa-ti - Santana (standard track on every CD!)
At the river - Groove Armada
Drops of Jupiter - Train
Waiting in vain - Bob Marley
Light my fire - Jose Feliciano
Unfinished sympathy - Massive Attack
Summer in the city - Lovin' Spoonful
Just another day - John Secada
Silent Sigh - Badly Drawn Boy

Given the wide cross section of people who contribute to this forum, it would be fascinating to hear your preferences. I mostly come to Kalkan alone and it would be lovely to have a drink and shoot the breeze with any fellow music lovers who are in Kalkan over the next couple of weeks.
Post by: killabeezz on May 08, 2011, 06:32:33 PM
We wish him all the best, very nice chap who took the time of day to say hello, even if we decided not to eat.

>>>>>Good Luck<<<<<
Post by: kevincat99 on May 09, 2011, 03:00:45 PM

Mecit has just told me that he intends to open tomorrow evening - bos sansli ve Insallah
Post by: Enişte on May 09, 2011, 04:03:41 PM
kc99 - sorry to pick you up on the Turkish good wishes, but I hope you meant 'bol' rather than 'bos/boş' which means 'empty'!  Good luck to Mecit in the new venture - sounds like the music will be great too!
Post by: kevincat99 on May 09, 2011, 05:01:30 PM

Eniste

You are as ever correct - I don't know my "l" from my "s" or I could have said   iyi sanslar  [or could I ?]
Post by: Enişte on May 10, 2011, 08:16:41 AM
Not sure about always (if ever) being right.  Usually told I'm talking bossocks....  Kolay gelsin
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on May 10, 2011, 01:33:26 PM
Just had a look at the website, the menu looks lovely. Could be another one to try!! So many restaurants and only 11 nights in which to fit them in!!
Post by: DENISE 57 on June 23, 2011, 10:51:11 PM
HI   :D  JUST RETURNED FROM KALKAN AFTER 2 WEEKS HOLS........ROSEHIP FAB!   ORLANDO ON FORM...GREAT SERVICE FAB FOOD,,,,,,,,, WELL DONE.  LOOKING FORWARD TO EATING THERE ON MY RETURN IN SEPT... :)
Post by: yorkielovit on June 28, 2011, 10:31:56 PM
yes the menu looks great although veering a little bit too much choice. I got confused by the 4 lamb dishes all with apricots.
Had to peruse the cocktails and came across 'Brandy Alexander' containing, Kahula, Baileys and Chocolate, something missing I think !!!!!!!

Alas not there until September this year but definately one on my list
Post by: Christina on July 09, 2011, 05:27:11 PM
Mecit has done a great job with Rosehip! I was there when it opened in May, and given that a lot of places are much quieter this season, there began a steady trickle of curious new customers.  I sampled the sea bass fillet on aubergine mash, slow cooked lamb, Black Sea kebab and grilled liver - all of which were a triumph.  I understand that the place is now pretty packed most nights, with lots of returning customers and some large parties. I could not be happier for Mecit, who has achieved so much in the face of some very difficult challenges recently. Well done Mr. Bloom!
Post by: kevincat99 on July 09, 2011, 10:11:55 PM
Christina

"Difficult challenges " ???
Post by: edwina on July 10, 2011, 07:50:37 AM
Christina,

We, residents, have all known the owner of Rosehip for a considerable time, through many 'ups and downs' so to speak. But as his unpaid PR lady, one assumes, do you think you could find a different instrument for your on-going and rather tedious campaign.
Post by: amber on July 10, 2011, 10:39:23 AM
"Unpaid PR" !!!!! I think she was probably paid with sea bass,lamb,kebabs and liver !!! (sounds yummy)
Post by: Alfresco on July 10, 2011, 07:08:06 PM

I most confess I'm a little confused. 

From local gossip I had heard that Rosehip had closed and that Mecit wasn't doing so well with very little custom?!! As I say this is through local gossip so do not know if this is true, however I will be in Kalkan shortly and will check Rosehip and Mecit out!
Post by: Christina on August 15, 2011, 04:57:32 AM
I will ignore the uncharitable comments from 'a local resident' and let those of you who are interested know what is going on. There have been problems with the lease at Rosehip, and until these have been resolved, Mecit has left the restaurant for now and is back working for Memis at Ozalp. And just for the record, there were never - nor did I expect - any 'freebies' for me. This is a great forum with some lively, fascinating and entertaining contributors, but there is a minority whose toxic remarks I find quite offensive.
Post by: JulesCheshire on August 21, 2011, 08:06:05 AM
We tried to eat at Rosehip last week, and I emphasize 'try'! We arrived at 9pm and we ordered some wine, which they did not have, so someone was sent out to buy it and then we ordered our meal of a cold starter and hot main course.  The young lady who normally stands outside to lure you in, was waiting tables as they must have been busy - there were 4 tables of people in.  Unfortunately, we waited an hour for our cold starter and after a visit to the loo (which is by the kitchen) I saw that there was one chef trying his best to get the food out.  I have to say  that the chicken liver pate that we had was delicious, we just weren't prepared to wait and left at 10.45pm. As we were the last table to be seated and that there were 10 people to be served their mains before us, we cut our losses and paid for what we had eaten/drank.  It wasn't only us who were fed up of waiting, a gentleman from another table went to the bar and asked how much longer their food would be  and  said if it hadn't arrived in the next 10 mins, they would be leaving too.  We had read the reviews for this restaurant on the forum and viewed the menu on line beforehand and were looking forward to trying somewhere different.  We have visited Kalkan many times and are familiar with the quality of restaurants in the town - Rosehip was such a disappointment.
Post by: Christina on October 24, 2011, 07:54:59 AM
To the disappointment of many (and to the delight of some!), I can confirm that Rosehip has now closed for good. In spite of a cracking start to the season, problems with the lease remain unresolved, and the owner Mecit will be starting a new project next season. Mecit would like to thank all those loyal customers and friends, both from Kalkan and the UK, who supported Rosehip by choosing to eat there.  There is still a cafe bar on the street beneath Rosehip, and Mecit would like to point out that this is nothing to do with him or the restaurant. When we were there in September, we noticed it had become one of those 'hostess' bars -about  which I am tempted to write a lively description, but it's probably best to leave it to your imagination. As we all know, restaurants in Kalkan come and go - that's all part of the charm and fun of this dynamic village culture. Well done to all those places who had a successful season, and good luck to those planning a new venture for next year.
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 24, 2011, 08:22:51 AM
i feel sorry for Mecit..hes a nice guy..always friendly.....I can't see anyone being glad a kalkan business has gone ::)
Post by: Enişte on October 24, 2011, 09:34:01 AM
This is a great shame for Mecit and all involved but also that there needed to be a dig at those that quite reasonably commented when positive reviews of the restaurant's food and atmosphere were written before it had opened.  No-one, even other restaurant owners, likes to see anyone's business fail.  Good luck to Mecit with whatever new project he selects!
Post by: onelove on October 24, 2011, 12:10:40 PM
Here, here, good luck in the future to Mecit, I hope things work out better for him next season :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal