Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Baggy on October 28, 2010, 04:21:34 PM

Title: local rag
Post by: Baggy on October 28, 2010, 04:21:34 PM
Is there a local english language paper serving the Kalkan area?
I haven't seen one when I've been in town but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. We used to go to Mallorca every year (note the 'used to' since bitten by the Kalkan bug!) and there were a couple serving the island and the northern area in particular . . .
Title: Re: local rag
Post by: Baggy on October 31, 2010, 10:56:20 AM
hmmmmm - is there anyone out there? ???

i take the lack of replies as a 'no' . . .  no local news sheet; no paper version of local news, events and what's on etc etc.

Anyone think there could be a market for one . . .?
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 31, 2010, 10:59:19 AM
A few have come and gone, Lycian Advertiser, Kalkan Press, Kalkan Post (sorry if any of these are still going) I could be wrong but I think the reality is that little happens in Kalkan that there isnt enough to fill a newspaper with Kalkan news regularly.

Post by: Baggy on October 31, 2010, 11:16:56 AM
thanks for that. Oddly enough I think there could be enough - a lot of the discussion topics on here could make really interesting stories - building developments, new moves on street animals, banking/money solutions etc etc. Add a few events for the week, a recipe, puzzles, tips, features on the area and voila - informative news sheet.
But if, as you say, folks have tried it and failed it's a non starter. We'll stick to the tinternet!
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 31, 2010, 11:21:25 AM
It is something EK considered in the early days - A paper based version of EK, but it wasnt worth it due to cost and the fact that due to the internet all news is old news very quickly! Not to mention much news appears to turn out to be rumour or gossip!

Not to say we wont re-consider but we shall be watching anyone trying to reproduce our content though :)
Post by: Baggy on October 31, 2010, 11:40:05 AM
Absolutely - but all you need is a half decent journalist to find out the answers following queries about which bank is best for overseas accounts, which credit card to use, what the latest position is on planning, new airline security measures etc.
You can see it's raining here and I am dreaming . . !

Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on October 31, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
I think that hits the nail on the head though, there is a wealth of information on EK created by the members for the members, sharing experiences and giving insider information. This is why we place our position as a forum as opposed a news site as so much information is rumour gossip or reversed making a printed edition almost impossible.

Whilst not in paper format if your looking for news we suggest you visit KTLN or Kalkan Haber that does carry news style articles.

Hope that helps :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal