Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Possums on September 03, 2010, 03:02:19 PM

Title: bird watching and walking
Post by: Possums on September 03, 2010, 03:02:19 PM
I have just received a question from a potential guest asking if Kalkan/nearby is a suitable area for bird watching and walking. (this is in November)

Now, whilst I wouldn't have thought the immediate area of the village and surrounds has a particularly prolific or varied bird life there must be areas further out that would be - and that would also be the same for "proper" walking.  I just need to know where, how far, how easy/difficult etc etc.

Someone out there can probably point in the right direction surely?

Many thanks.

Title: Re: bird watching and walking
Post by: lorilou on September 03, 2010, 04:46:42 PM
Hi Possums!
There are a few walkers on the Trip Advisor forum - they favour the Kaya Valley and Patara, but may be able to help you. The first is called KayaKoyOldBoy ... here you go...
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/KayaKoyuOldBoy
KKOB is really into his wildlife and loves the Kaya Valley especially, but is a resident I believe so may know about the area around Kalkan also. He has a blog too ...
the second person is Patara01, her link is here:
 http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/patara01
patara01 loves - Patara! So she will know that area very well.

If you follow the links, I believe you can PM them from the TA forum.

Good luck!
L

Post by: Possums on September 03, 2010, 05:12:01 PM

If you follow the links, I believe you can PM them from the TA forum.

Good luck!
L

Thank you for that Lorilou.  Messaged both of them and await their response.Rosemary
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 03, 2010, 05:46:59 PM
Whenever i'm bird watching Mrs Lizard always clumps me round the back of the head!! ;D :angel:

What about Owlsland?   not far from Kalkan so i believe ;)
Post by: howmad on September 03, 2010, 06:00:06 PM
    The bird life in Kalamar is prolific in winter. In the olive groves at the rear of our villa we have seen - Buzzards, eagles, hawks,bee eaters. magpies, robins, jays, wood peckers,various finches, lots that i do not know the names of and we are often woken in the night by nightingales. One night we returned home to find the biggest owl i have ever seen perched on our balcony. Patara sounds a good bet because it is so quiet out of season and you have the addition of water birds in the lake.
Post by: Chucky on September 03, 2010, 07:28:13 PM
I would also suggest they keep their eye on here as well. The Kalkan Walking group are active "off season" and post their weekly walks on here. If your guests are bringing their hiking gear I am sure they would enjoy joining in those.
Post by: kris kadin on September 04, 2010, 08:46:57 AM
There's no shortage of chickens  ;D
Post by: kalkankiki on September 04, 2010, 10:51:18 AM
The ruins around Patara are one of the best bird watching sites I am told on good authority.
By November the amazing bee eaters will have gone south, they are around in the hills above Kalkan at the moment.
As for chickens, I think my dog has had most of them...
Post by: citybluemoon on September 05, 2010, 07:27:01 PM
I've always wanted to get to the top of the big hill behind Kalkan - there's a ridge and one the left hill thereis a Turkish flag. Anyone done that and have any tips on how best to go about it. I'd thought that there should be a logical place to start somewhere off the road that goes over to Islamlar......

Thanks
Post by: alantj on September 05, 2010, 09:10:49 PM
You can get from Kalkan to the flagpole at the top of the hill.  My brother in law managed it in about 2hrs from our villa near the Sameira De Lux.

It was a walk/scramble rather than a climb, there are a lot of brambles at points so shorts are not a good idea.   
Post by: kris kadin on September 09, 2010, 07:15:52 AM
If you're serious about wildlife check out this website.  It's a small hotel in Bezirgan and they have some brilliant photos of native and migratory birds.  Looks magical!

http://www.owlsland.com/
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal