Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: ScotsinKalkan on August 13, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

Title: A few more days
Post by: ScotsinKalkan on August 13, 2010, 04:57:29 PM
Day 3 was a simple affair with, firstly a shave at the man on the corner left just as you set off up the Kalamar road, said that was 15TL but then decided he was going to give me a bit of a haircut and ended up at 25TL but was in for 30 minutes including massage and tea! Last time I had a Turkish shave was 19 years ago in Fethiye until Antler made me think of getting one this time. Then back to Samira for a day chilling by the pool, which was quiet on this day (changeover perhaps?) after a late afternoon Efes and a shower it was out to meet friends we met 2 years ago for drinks and dinner, Happy hour at Yali Yacht bar with “Sex on the Beach” for the younger ladies and G and T’s  for the Mums, Efes for the guys. We walked along the front and picked Seaport for dinner, good location, good staff, good meze, good seafood the rest was judged to be ok. Rose coming in at 25/30TL a bottle for house was on the reasonable side. Nightcap back at Yali and then another Baileys nightcap at Apartment!

Day 4  Thursday therefore market and 4 boxes of Turkish lira for 15TL and a daughter who needs to go back again next week when she can decide what else she wants! The rest of the day one word – HOT!! 43 Degrees in the shade, we were glad we went to Indigo beach and could just jump in the cool sea as required, great chips for lunch (rivalling café Vita?) and reading books until evening, After a walk through town the long way to avoid cardiac hill, shower then up to Mediteran for the BBQ at night, at £20.00 per person a bit more than Samira but then the view!! Plenty of chilled water and Lal for a really lovely evening overlooking the bay. Strange this year as we are normally staying up the hill and walking down into town for dinner and Taxi back up, but the girls want cab up the hill, then after a few drinks and the new road making it a different walk down, cab back as well was requested so better for Kalkan Taxis who appear to be struggling a bit this year!!! ;D
Title: Re: A few more days
Post by: antler on August 13, 2010, 10:42:47 PM

ScotsinKalkan,
I'm just lovin' your work!
Had that same shave, had the extras - and paid the same difference!
Saw the temperature was red hot on the internet - that must have been a challenge.
And I'm dreaming of your Turkish Night up at the Mediteran....

So glad there is loads of your holiday left for me to enjoy with you - just keep it coming!

cheers

Antler
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 13, 2010, 11:09:00 PM
Great report thanks Scots :)
Post by: Lindy on August 14, 2010, 03:04:35 PM
Hi ScotsinKalkan.

Enjoyed the report. We go on the 13th September and reports like yours and Antlers really set the scene for us first timers. Have found this blog site to be brilliant and even though we've not been to Kalkan before, we're getting a real feel for the place. We keep thinking of questions to ask but they already seem to be answered.

Best wishes, Linda (Lindy) & Rich 

Post by: lorilou on August 14, 2010, 03:29:27 PM
Hi Scotsinkalkan & Antler - during your hair cut experience, did he set fire to you? I watched fascinated as my husband had the haircut to end all haircuts, scissor blades flashing faster than the speed of light .... and then blue flames suddenly appeared round his head - quite a shock! very effective and a brilliant treatment overall ... but I clearly took far too much interest in the proceedings ...
Girls, if you are reading this and decide to join your other half and wait on the premesis (rather than doing the sensible thing and popping to the shops, or relaxing with a glass of wine in a nearby cafe) and if you take up the offer of a neck & arm massage, do not be surprised if the gentleman administering the treatment eyes up any stray hairs or girlish down that you happen to have missed on your face or neck, and whips out his cut throat. I kid you not, the last thing i needed on my honeymoon was my new husband to witness his brides very first shave. There was nothing I could do, totally helpless, in shock, husband totally overcome with mirth ...
Post 'treatment' i was to be found crying with laughter (or was it horror and embarrassment), head in hands, traumatised and confused. it all happened so fast!
Be warned. You'll be invited in. Don't do it to yourself. My chin / upper lip will never be the same
He could have charged us a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g ... Husband still gleefully talking about it, friends ask if Ive booked my treatment for this year ...
:)
Post by: ScotsinKalkan on August 14, 2010, 03:44:48 PM
Lorilou, I got an initial trim with scissors, normally do this myself as over the last few years the hair that is disappearing from my head is mysteriously growing out of my ears and on my back! But after doing this, yes I got the fire treatment with meths and the sizzling in the ears, then just to make sure he had these tiny electric clippers just to make sure! Wife was not around so barber could not grab her for a massage or more!
Post by: antler on August 14, 2010, 03:50:01 PM
Oh yes, Lorilou, my ears were ablaze!  Rather a strange sensation, hearing your ears sizzle. Mrs A chose to have a pedicure at the same time, so no danger of her having her stray hairs tidied up (not that she has any, of course!).

cheers

Antler
Post by: lorilou on August 14, 2010, 03:51:34 PM
 ;D Mrs ScotsinKalkan is very sensible and had a lucky escape!
What was fascinating was that whilst wielding is weapons of steel and fire, he had one eye firmly fixed on the Turkish version of "Jeremy Kyle" which he clearly found mesmerising ...
Post by: lorilou on August 14, 2010, 03:56:19 PM
Well, Antler, I'd warn Mrs. A, as I recon he'd spot a stray hair at 100 paces.
I now walk on the other side of the street in case he gets a glint in his eye ... I have a feeling you frequented a slightly less scary establishment as this place was a one man show ... I'm opting for the "chilled glass of wine in a local cafe" routine next time!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal