Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: City Chick on August 28, 2007, 02:49:34 PM

Title: Exchange Rate
Post by: City Chick on August 28, 2007, 02:49:34 PM
Can anyone let me know what rate the post office/bank are giving for sterling at the moment?  I usually change cash in the post office but have been considering purchasing Lira before I leave as it would be commission free in the UK, seems to be around 2.5 at the moment.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Exchange Rate
Post by: essexmum on August 28, 2007, 08:57:49 PM
It''s commission free in most of the shops in Kalkan and the exchange rate is so much better once you gt out there (the best rate I got overe here before we left was 2.35 lira to the £ whereas out there it''s currently 2.80 Lira to the £)
Post by: felicity on August 28, 2007, 09:02:05 PM
yes - change it over in Kalkan - and the rate appears to be going up (well slightly!!) and you do get a better rate out there - nearly everywhere changes money - from hotels to small shops - and the rate over there seems pretty similar!!

Cheers!
Post by: lavashluvva on August 28, 2007, 10:11:09 PM
I rang 3 local travel agents today for their YTL rates.

Going Places quoted 2.40
Thomas Cook 2.30  ???
Lunn Poly 2.442

Think we will get about £200 worth from LP to see us through the first few days next week and take the rest of our spending money in sterling and change it in Kalkan.
Post by: JenJen on August 28, 2007, 10:42:00 PM
I paid £102.06 for 250 Lira at the Post Office today and am going to change the rest of my money over there (as have been advised by this forum!)  Flying tomorrow evening for our first holiday in Kalkan, can''t wait!
Post by: Mercimek on August 29, 2007, 07:42:10 AM
The current rate at Yapi Kredi today is 2.66 YTL = £1
Post by: Johnjen on August 29, 2007, 09:39:15 AM
There are ATMs at dalaman airport.Nationwide rate is around 2.68 .Other Banks 2.58.Also change kiosks which will change sterling banknotes & travellers cheques.
There is no real neccessity to change money before you go.
Post by: Charlie on August 29, 2007, 11:18:41 AM
Used to be only one ATM in Kalkan so if it ran out of money you were stuffed!  Now there are 3 banks I doubt they''ll all run out. I''d change as little as possible and use the banks or change sterline at one of the local shops who advertise their rates outside.  What you see is what you get ie 2.55 to the pound - £100 = 255YTL.
Have a fab holiday!
Post by: City Chick on August 29, 2007, 02:07:00 PM
Thanks very much to everyone who''s replied.

I have always changed my money up in Kalkan and will continue to do so.  Maybe the voting in of the new President will improve the rate further!  It was 2.7 last summer...  Only 5 sleeps to go until I''ll feel the warmth of the sun once more!
Post by: ajw278 on October 01, 2007, 12:20:19 PM
Hi

We''re off at the end of the week - yippee!  Istanbul for a few days and then back to Kalkan - we''ll be there a week today (and I certainly hope it''s warmer than here - currently wrapped up in a pashmina I bought there last year and with freezing feet!).

Anyway, can people please advise whether it''s still the best thing to bring sterling and change into Turkish Lira in Kalkan?  Or whether I should bring Turkish Lira with me (don''t have a Nationwide account by the way)?

Many thanks
Post by: Begonvil on October 01, 2007, 12:36:11 PM
Hi ajw278

We always take sterling over with us. You do get a better exchange rate over in Turkey than in England. My parents have been back from Kalkan a week now and before they left they were getting 2.40 lira to the pound. I was over in August and getting 2.60, the exchange rate seems to change every day.

Amanda
Post by: felicity on October 01, 2007, 12:37:43 PM
Hi Ajw278

I would say - still same advice i would say - change your sterling in Kalkan - have a super time!!  :)
Post by: sally on October 09, 2007, 04:57:27 PM
Rate in Kalkan on October 7th was down to 2.35 YTL to £1. (Had been 2.40 the previous week).
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 10, 2007, 10:05:33 AM
u.k post office is 2.25 today...just been in (next time i''ll take a flask and sandwiches!!) ;)
Post by: Shirley Burley on October 10, 2007, 10:11:10 AM
If you look on the Denizbank website www.denizbank.com/en you will find the daily exchange rate as you will find it in Kalkan.  The jewellers will have a slightly lower exchange rate as they do not charge commission.  The rate in the UK/at the airports (including Dalaman) is always MUCH lower than it is here.

Shirley B
Post by: Johnjen on March 06, 2008, 05:33:14 PM
Anybody noticed the very welcome increase in the exchange rate over last couple of weeks.2.45 official and nationwide rate if you have an account as of today.This is because of a cut in the turkish central banks base rate to 15.25% it was 17.5 last september.More cuts are expected in the summer as the turkish economy is in a worse shape than ours,although they appear to have a grip on inflation now.So my advice.Don''t change money until you arrive in Turkey & get a nationwide card account.No transaction fee & official rate of exchange (it really does make an appreciable difference). 
Post by: Cuddles on March 07, 2008, 07:19:28 PM
Yes, Johnjen, I have noticed. Was in France part of last week & the week before, before I left it had climbed from 2.22 to 2.25 then back to 2.23. Nice surprise when I looked on Fethiye Times site yesterday and saw 2.4?. even better today where it shows official rate as 2.52. Yippee! That''s an extra 60% of a loaf per £ exchanged compared to last month.
Post by: Cuddles on March 07, 2008, 07:30:44 PM
Shirley Burley: you may not have noticed but, the Deniz Bank no longer post the £ rate on their home page, not sure why.
Post by: Shirley Burley on March 10, 2008, 10:23:22 AM
Grumpygrampy - the exchange rate was never posted on their homepage - if you click on ''Rates and Fees'' from the homepage, and then ''Central Bank Currency Rates'' all the exchange rates are posted there.

Shirley B
Post by: Cuddles on March 10, 2008, 07:25:23 PM
Thanks for that Shirley. It used to be on the home page a couple of years ago along with the dollar and euro but, when they updated the look of the site some time ago, it disappeared. The dollar and the euro are still shown there though so why not the pound?
I thought that it might have had something to do with our politicians turning us into a third world economy!!
Post by: mojo on March 18, 2008, 08:32:50 AM
Is it better to exchange english pounds ie pound notes or take cash out by credit card ( don''t you pay a charge on your credit card for a cash transaction? )
Mojo
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 18, 2008, 08:46:25 AM
you obviously don''t want to carry about large sums of sterling ..we opened a Natiowide "flexi" account..it allows you draw your money out with no charges..there have been a few mentions of it on here.Last year the rate we were getting was also better than some of the shops etc were offering! We only use the account for paying in holiday money and it''s a great way... (no i''m nothing to do with Natiowide!!) ;)there are also plenty of atm''s in Kalkan
Post by: Chucky on March 18, 2008, 10:54:41 AM
Mojo, there is more information on this subject in the General Information Section, or by using the search facility :)
Post by: pious aquilla on April 01, 2008, 08:59:32 AM
I have just looked at the TurkishCentral Bank currency rates table and note that the Stg£/YTL rate is 2.59 which seems good. Is this rate available to tourists such as myself from,say,Denizbank against Stg pound notes ? I ask as the current tourist rate available here is around YTL 2.38
Post by: baclava on April 10, 2008, 11:06:58 AM
We left Kalkan on 5 April. At that time the rate was 2.51 in any of the shops that change money.
Post by: Brooksie on April 11, 2008, 06:46:19 PM
The rate today is 2.45 lira, this is still good.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal