Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => General Discussion => Topic started by: Bdancer on July 05, 2010, 10:01:01 AM

Title: Problem wityh ahving Cushion made - Help required
Post by: Bdancer on July 05, 2010, 10:01:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone can give me a name and tel number of someone who can make large chushions for a wrought iron chair as we have been badly let down by Ozman at Zeikis. He firstly made the wronge size and colour after giving him a sample (which he orginally made!!) and the measurements and now 4 weeks on he has still not re-made them. I am at the end of my pateince with this man

Any suggestions would be gratefully apreciated

Isis
Title: Re: Problem wityh ahving Cushion made - Help required
Post by: kevincat99 on July 05, 2010, 10:40:51 AM
Try Ayse up at the Otogar
Post by: Kalamar Bay on July 05, 2010, 11:24:03 AM
Had a smilar experience with Zeki's over a couple of occasions. Firstly in 2006 when villa curtains were very poorly measured and they would do nothing to correct, Secondly in May of this year when they gladly took payment at the beginning of our weeks holiday for several cushions & bean bags to be made stating all would be made and delivered long before we left......they were still trying to stall us as we were waiting for our taxi to leave for the airport, arriving with half the ordered goods, all of which were sub standard knowing full well we needed to leave immediately..........luckily of us and unfortunately for Zeki's our taxi driver was Suleyman, who i am sure many of you know..... Suleyman personally took charge of the situation and his telephone conversation to them whilst we were on the way to Dalaman was a joy, although not for the person on the other end of the line i suspect....he also made sure the order was completed and delivered to Suleymans satisfaction...!!!!!

I am sure many people have had good service from Zekis and we have from time to time bought small items or had small replacements made.

It is possible they have overstretched and try to fulfill orders they really arent able to complete within the time frames given...Originally i think Zeki's were Kalkans only option in this field of work.

Just giving my personal experience here.

There are now several outlets offering the same type of service so hopefully the competition will be beneficial to all.

Regards

Post by: tiamaria on July 05, 2010, 11:58:30 AM
The new curtain shop along the Akbel Rd is very good. Next door to the Kitchen shop.
Sorry I haven't got a telephone number.
Well worth popping in to have a chat

Post by: Bdancer on July 05, 2010, 02:15:02 PM
Many thanks for your replies regarding "cushion gate"

As we are now back in the UK I really need to try and find a tel number to give to to our also very stressed complex manager, who has been going down to see Ozman on a regular basis.
Regarding work load I totally agree - he seems to have completely overstretched himself and cannot cope. Instead of being honest about timings  he justs accepts your order knowing full well that he cannot deliver. Orders are being rushed  and they are not being done to the right spec or standard. I really have lost patience with him this time, we have used him over many years and yes his deadlines are usually a day ot two more than first agreed, but he has definately got worse, of course this my personal opinion

Isis
Post by: Charlie on July 05, 2010, 03:13:35 PM
Hi just had cushions made for a wrought iron sofa earlier this year.  We used Can Mefrusat near Adda Supermarket.  He measured up and made them within a day.  We are very pleased with the work.  He was recommended by the guy who made the sofa and worked in tandem with him re measurements etc  His number is 02428447887.  I also believe Istanbul Mefrusat along Kalamar Road are very good, though can't personally recommend.  Their no is 02428443855.  Check out the business directory on KTLN - you'll find all the numbers you need!
Post by: Kalkan Magic on July 05, 2010, 03:26:54 PM
Hi
Someone mentioned Ayse up at the Otogar. We used her recently in June and had an experience just as you describe from Zeikis. We were let down several times and finally managed to pick up some cushions (not the very best quality either) in the nick of time after about 5 attempted collections. Her and her family speak extremely limited English (if any) which doesn't help communication. Our limited Turkish helped a lot but I dread to think how it would have been if we didn't speak any.
I'd be v interested to hear who you choose and how you find them.

Post by: Bdancer on July 05, 2010, 03:34:58 PM
Hi kalkan Magic

Thanks for this info - I will let you know who we go with and outcome

Isis
Post by: The Engineer on July 05, 2010, 03:47:57 PM
We also used ayse up at Otogar to make some cutains this year. We were charged what I would call english prices £130 for two 1 metre wide x 2.5 metres long plain white curtains.
When they arrived 2 days late there was a flaw in the material (quite noticable) but she would not do anything about it but tried to explain that it would get lost in the folds.
I wish I had waited and taken them out from England.
We got some beautifull large cusion covers made by the carpet man just along from the moonlight bar on the left.

M
Post by: whiteonyx on July 08, 2010, 04:18:58 PM
i wouldn't give any business to Ozman even if he was the last shop in Kalkan.
Absolutely the worst place for service, quality and standards i have ever seen, a total piss taker (takes your money quick enough though!) but you will never get your items that your have ordered or if you do,there are the wrong size,colour and and sewing standard crap.
I think i spent more time and calls from the UK(because he still didn't forfill the order when we were in Kalkan) than the goods were worth.
Other companies are about, please use them and keep your sanity and lower your stress levels by keeping well clear of Zeki's.
Post by: Kalkan Magic on July 08, 2010, 04:24:19 PM
Osman and his staff have created a lot for us over the last five years and whilst not 100% perfect, we have generally been happy with the overall quality and standard of materials used.
Post by: kevincat99 on July 08, 2010, 04:40:03 PM
As is usual in Turkey - if pushed leave a small deposit [ maybe 10% ]and only pay the balance when the goods you ordered arrive and are as you wanted them
If the supplier is not happy with this arrangement - go elsewhere
Post by: whiteonyx on July 08, 2010, 05:48:37 PM
Osman and his staff have created a lot for us over the last five years and whilst not 100% perfect,

Heard this story too many times.
You pay top money and still he can't get it right, just go elswhere , pay less and get the job done right the first time, simples.
Post by: Bee on July 08, 2010, 06:43:43 PM
We have had the same problems with Zekis. Paid over £1200 for curtains. They were the wrong colour, wrong size and took about 4 months before we got them. Ended up getting rid of them and bringing some from the UK. Much cheaper and nicer. As far as cushion covers go we had some made by the man on the Akbel road just as you drive out of Kalkan. Excellent prices and as far as I know, good quality.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on July 08, 2010, 07:46:59 PM
If only we knew this at the time, we had exactly the same problem waiting for cushions... it was as if they were hoping we would have to leave to catch our flight! Ended up driving to the shop at gone 10pm to "have a word"
Post by: Em1 on July 08, 2010, 08:15:21 PM
Hi
I used Osman earlier this year for some new seat and  sunbed cushions.

Firstly Osman did not turn up to measure at the allotted time, stating he could not find our location, which I found funny as it was only a couple of yards away from where he lived a couple of years back.

I was promised the cushions would be delivered the same day - but after I repeatedly chased him, I was told they were made in Antalya. I finally got the cushions two weeks after ordering.

The cushions were good when they arrived, but I would rather have just been told the truth on day one - whatever the truth was!

Em
Post by: Chucky on July 08, 2010, 08:42:30 PM
On a lighter note, we arrived in Kalkan late one evening last year just after he had opened up his new showroom. We took one look at his bedroom display and, for a moment, thought a "Madam" had opened up for business!!!!!! 
Post by: kevincat99 on July 08, 2010, 09:22:10 PM
Joan H - doesn't everybodys bedroom look like that ??
Post by: Chucky on July 08, 2010, 10:58:50 PM
Well mine certainly does'nt and I am sure it would frighten your cats, if yours was like that. LOL
Post by: kevincat99 on July 09, 2010, 07:18:33 AM
I am sure that our cats would loved it - they would have had it shredded in minutes !!
Post by: Cosetta on July 09, 2010, 07:35:03 AM
 The small shop on the back side of the bus station does a great job and they made covers and cushions for all our outside furniture in 1 day.  They also make awnings.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on July 09, 2010, 08:37:43 AM
Just as a reminder there is more than one Zeki shop, we didnt realise the one we went to was a Zeki shop!
Post by: jinfizzz on July 09, 2010, 11:39:44 AM
When we returned to Kalkan in June, our wrought iron sofa cushions (on our terrace) had been shredded by cats.  On the night we arrived, we went down to see Osman.  He immediately came up to the apartment to measure up, we chose our fabric and by lunchtime the next day, he delivered them and fitted them.  We couldn't fault him on his service.  We had matching cushions made for our upright chairs too.  We were amazed at how quickly he did this for us.
Post by: whiteonyx on July 10, 2010, 12:32:33 PM
After failing to make anything for us, now Osman refuses to refund us.
Absolutely livid with this company and hope that no EK er has to go through this nightmare.
Avoid like the plague and use other smaller companies who will look after their customers and charge you less.
Thank you for the PM's regarding other problems in dealing with Osman, unfortuently we are not an isolated case.

Post by: Cuddles on July 10, 2010, 08:59:47 PM
Is there anything in Antalya province like the Allo 179 telephone line in Mugla?
Here's the link to the article on Fethiye Times site. http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/4256-alo-179--visitor-complaints-hot-line-open.html
It may be worthwhile to e-mail or ring them and see if they know anything in the Mugla governors office.
Post by: whiteonyx on July 11, 2010, 09:26:14 AM
Good idea, does any EKers know of anything similar for the Kalkan area?
Post by: amares on September 05, 2010, 09:45:04 PM
Just thought I would warn you all to be careful using Aysel at the Bus station.   Paid her quite a lot of money (by English standards) for cushions to be made for a wrought iron sofa.  We spent almost our entire stay chasing for the order only to be fobbed off with excuses.  Eventually they were made but only fit to be thrown out, the workmanship was dreadful.  She used to be good but something has changed.  I can sew and wished I'd been patient and bought them out from England.
Post by: whiteonyx on September 06, 2010, 09:35:37 AM
Note to all, when ordering anything, don't pay anything up front regardless of how well you know the person.
As every Turk thinks that all us brits are millionares, you will be ripped off sadly.
Post by: lynda on September 10, 2010, 11:10:59 AM
We have always used the shop along Kalamar Road, right hand side as you go up, just before the Asfyia Hotel and Pashas. Sorry can't remember the name (Istanbul?) but he also has a pancake house now!
We have had curtains made for the whole apartment including an odd shaped triangular window.They all fitted perfectly and were ready in a couple of days. He also made new cushion and seat covers for all the roof terrace wrought iron furniture last year which were ready the next day and again fitted perfectly and were well made. Can't remember the cost but remember it being less than I was expecting.
He doesn't speak English and we've never had him out to measure anything just taken the measurments to him. With the furniture we just took the old covers and he took the measurements from them.
Post by: Bdancer on September 10, 2010, 03:18:46 PM
Hi lynda

Yes, in our absence our complex manager went along to see him and I have to say I was impressed form the reports we got back. He came straight up to the apartment, measured up and they were delivered within 2 days, as opposed to waiting almost 4 weeks! for Osman. We will see them next week when we go. But it sounds like he did a great job. So we now have to extract our money back form Osman, that should be interesting! So if anyone witnesses a commotion I apologise in advance.

Isis
Post by: littlelin on September 10, 2010, 04:49:04 PM
We have always used the shop along Kalamar Road, right hand side as you go up, just before the Asfyia Hotel and Pashas. Sorry can't remember the name (Istanbul?) but he also has a pancake house now!

He also alters clothes as well, we had two pairs of trousers shortened earlier this year for TL10, done while we waited.
Post by: edisrag on November 23, 2010, 11:57:48 AM
Noting in Kalkan is quite John Lewis is it!
I think Osman works really hard, but he does not manage our expectations.  I have recently tried to get some covers re-done here in the UK, and even in a recession I had to wait 2 weeks before someone could actually get here to measure up, It took a further week for a quote to come through and now I have a 4 - 6 week lead time before the fabric arrives, I have had to pay 40% deposit, and  then they can be made! I am fairly certain if someone in Kalkan gave me this sort of  service , I would be disappointed as we expect things in Kalkan to be done more promptly. For me  Osman has always arrived on the day I have ever made any enquiry, he has also  done whatever he can to fulfil my expectations within the time frame I have given, or worked with our management team.  His business has grown and perhaps he has not managed the growth as well as he could, I am sure he does not set out to upset people, If he told us the truth like this is going to take 8 weeks, or this fabric is going to be discontinued we might not shop there, but he tells us all is okay and our expectations are not managed, perhaps a few government incentive training schemes might work.
Post by: molly on November 24, 2010, 02:24:22 PM
We had similar problems so in the end we had all the covers made in England from fents and filled them in Kalkan on our arrival it really was far less daunting and easier
Post by: Bdancer on November 24, 2010, 06:05:01 PM
I am sure that the increase in his business has contributed to his ability to not deliver on his promises. As for him not telling customers about lead times and fabrics being out of stock, edisrag you are absolutely right I would of gone elsewhere and saved myself time, money, phone calls from the UK, stand up arguments in the shop with threats of calling the jandarma, and sit in protest until he gave us a refund, which eventually he did. Of course we will never go back, had he been upfront we would of.  The moral of story, give a deadline to work to and only pay when the job is completed and done properly.
Isis
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal