Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => Living In Kalkan => Topic started by: lynnepjames on May 30, 2010, 04:44:48 PM

Title: Cost of shipping belongings to Turkey
Post by: lynnepjames on May 30, 2010, 04:44:48 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to ship belonging from UK to Turkey and any recommendations on who to use.  Not talking about furniture, but books, pictures, clothing etc, etc

Title: Re: Cost of shipping belongings to Turkey
Post by: kevincat99 on May 30, 2010, 09:01:23 PM
Hi Lynneplames have sent you a PM
Title: Re: Cost of shipping belongings to Turkey
Post by: JaneN on June 16, 2010, 10:58:07 PM
Hi

I wouldn't bother shipping - we moved out here in Jan and road freighted 3 boxes (large tea chests) of similar items via Istanbul. Whilst the cost of getting them into Turkey was OK (about £250) getting them out of the customs was SO not worth it. It cost about the same to persuade the Customs to release the items, and my hubbie (Turkish) had to go to the Customs Office 4 days running and jump through hoops to get our things. The Customs rules changed just before we arrived in Turkey, and then again while we were waiting for our things to arrive in Istanbul. TOTAL NIGHTMARE and v v stressful.

We were advised that we should have air freighted the goods, as apparently the customs procedures for this are more 'relaxed'. Then again, I wish we had just packed them all up in suitcases and taken them on BA (who fly to both Antalya and Istanbul) BA only charge £28 per extra case of up to 23 kilos, and you rarely get stopped at the airports anyway. You can then pay to have your goods kargo'd to Kalkan, there are lots of good, cheap courier companies in Turkey ( e.g Yurtici Kargo).
Hope that helps anyway!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal