Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: welshgal on April 23, 2010, 10:02:52 PM

Title: Not just Kalkan.....first time to Turkey!
Post by: welshgal on April 23, 2010, 10:02:52 PM
Having decided to try Turkey for the very first time, i managed to get myself in a bit of a tizz, as there's so many resorts and opinions as well as recommendations.
Anyway to cut a long story short, i've booked to stay at the Xanthos Club for the first week in october.
I understand the area is quite hilly etc. I enjoy walking, but do i need to hire a car?
I've read so many reviews, would be nice to have an honest opinion about the hotel and its location!
Thanks in advance, (and apologies as i shall no doubt get on your nerves with questions between now and then!!) lol!
Title: Re: Not just Kalkan.....first time to Turkey!
Post by: turkeyfan on April 23, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
Well, you wont look back now! 

You have picked a gorgeous place for your first visit to Turkey.  I have visited a few different places in Turkey and most of them were lovely and Kalkan is even lovelier!  In fact, my OH had never been to Turkey before and on his first visit to Kalkan we bought an apartment as we loved it so much - so beware!!  ;D   ;D   ;D
Post by: welshgal on April 23, 2010, 10:54:23 PM
Oh my giddy aunt!!! Don't!!!! That would be me all over!!! Lets hope the properties are far too expensive!!! lol!
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 23, 2010, 11:02:17 PM
Your hotel is located at Kalamar,near to the beach club...quite a steep hill ...then a 20/25 min walk to the edge of the village,plenty of stop off places in between!! ;)
Post by: welshgal on April 23, 2010, 11:06:08 PM
Thanks Lizard,
so the hill is steep to the beach, is it hilly to the centre too? Is there a street-map anywhere i could browse?
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 23, 2010, 11:13:23 PM
you are at the foot of the hill ,so is the beach club.....If you go back to the Home page ,click onto maps and directions,your hotel is by the picture of blue swimmer on the far left..you can drag in an aeriel view ;)
it's not a bad walk going as it is generally downwards once you get to the main stretch of road..coming back is a bit harder.....taxi?
Post by: welshgal on April 23, 2010, 11:23:22 PM
Oh my god!!!! That looks a long way!!
Right..............how much are taxis? lol!
(is the hotel ok? didn't pay an arm and a leg so not expecting the Ritz!)
Post by: alantj on April 24, 2010, 01:44:38 AM
The hotel is ok, rooms are a bit small but the pool area and food is pretty good. A taxi into town is around 15-17TL (£7) but watch out for the prices going up after midnight.
Post by: kim21 on April 24, 2010, 03:43:03 AM
It's a shame you booked this particular hotel, if you look on www.tipadvisor.com you will see this is 27th most popular out of the 39 hotels in kalkan and has dropped from 4 star to 3 star this year. you can check out some of the reviews there.
Post by: welshgal on April 24, 2010, 12:12:40 PM
I can live with a small room, won't be in it that much. The holiday was only £700, and all inclusive, so as i said not expecting boutique hotel. The photographs of the resort impressed me the most. Just hoped the town would be in walking distance, as didn't really want to be spending upwards of £14 a day for taxis!  >:(
Post by: fidimax on April 24, 2010, 12:53:34 PM
Some of the beach clubs do a free boat from town and back,not sure if Kalamar have one,Im sure someone will let you Know,if you get to know them at the beach club you might be able to cut your taxi costs.   ;D
Post by: kevincat99 on April 24, 2010, 01:05:11 PM
Kalamar sadly does not have a free [or paid for that matter ] boat service to the centre
From the Xanthos it is a good slow 20 / 25 minute walk and once you are up the first hill from the hotel it's a fairly easy walk.
Taxis are usually 12 / 14 TL and there is no dolmus
Having said that the Xanthos has a nice quiet location and both the Kalamar Beach Club and Klube beach club are good and are both within a 5 minute walk of the hotel
Kalamar Beach club has lots of sunbathing areas, good food and plenty of water based activities, jet ski, diving, speedboats and children's rides.
So all in all the Xanthos is not a bad choice at all
After all I live just over the road from it - so it can't be too bad

So come here and enjoy it  ;D
Post by: msr on April 24, 2010, 01:38:38 PM
I wouldn't worry about reports on Trip Advisor, they are not always accurate and often posted by people who have an axe to grind. We have stayed in hotels which TA have slated and found them all fine. You will have a wonderful holiday in Kalkan. Enjoy!
Post by: Em1 on April 24, 2010, 09:11:59 PM
Hi
I am sure that you would be able to walk into town each evening with no problems, just a short but steep walk onto Kalamar Road, then it is downhill all the way into town! As October is a little cooler at night, you may also make the walk home too!
Em

Post by: Kefgirl on April 24, 2010, 09:47:07 PM
Welshgal, we stay at the Kulube, which is right by you and walk back every night with no problem (even with our dodgy knees and my not being the World's keenest walker)  You'll be just fine,I bet you can't wait for October.
Post by: welshgal on April 24, 2010, 10:12:09 PM
Feeling a little more upbeat with those last few posts! You're right. i can't wait! Have a week in Nerja next month. which is somewhere i go every year.

Would like to try Turunc next year, but if i get the bug,who knows? lol!

Not worried about hills and taxis............not with Kevin my tour guide on my doorstep! lol!
Post by: cucukhanim on May 02, 2010, 02:18:15 PM
What a beautiful place to chose for your first visit.
Try to visit Kas thats equally as pretty if not nicer than Kalkan.
Make sure you dont end up like me married to a Turk.
Watch out they will be all over you if you are alone.
Enjoy your break.
Post by: welshgal on May 02, 2010, 03:29:55 PM
Hahaha! shall have Welsh husband with me, and one is more than enough methinks!!
Will i need to hire a car to get to Kas?
Post by: Roxie on May 02, 2010, 03:58:27 PM
Hi
Hope you enjoy your holiday. You can get the dolmus from the bus station or even hire a taxi. We took a larger one for the day and travelled about (4 of us). Lunch on the Kas road at Adem's or one of the fish restaurants was great. You could do the round trip up to Gombe and down into Kas, or go early and travel to Meis, for a lovely day on the Greek island.
Rx
Post by: cucukhanim on May 06, 2010, 10:38:39 AM
Sorry... didnt reply earlier.
We took the Dolmus which from memory took about 25/30 mins. Well worth it.
Enjoy your trip.
Post by: welshgal on May 22, 2010, 12:46:10 AM
Sorry to bore you all, but off to Nerja at  6 in the morning, had to show you this:-
Someone asked on nerja forum where there might be places similar!!!

Re: Similar to Nerja
27 January 2010, 22:11
There was quite a long thread on this in July/August 2009 which you will find helpful.I personally recommended Lagos in Portugal,and would add Kalkan in Turkey if you wanted something a little more exotic!

Doubly excited now!!! See you all when i get back, Tricia.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on May 22, 2010, 10:05:02 AM
Have a geat time Tricia, would love to read a holiday report when your back to see what you thought of Kalkan
Post by: simone on May 24, 2010, 02:49:53 PM
I stayed at Xantos twice last year and enjoyed it.  The surroundings are great but I agree that it wasn't last year at least worthy of their 4* rating.  It is expensive to drink in the bar so we preferred to go into town.  Cafe Vita up the road is a great place with a great variety of well priced delicious foof.  Especially the chips!  Mustafa the owner is particularly welcoming and accommodating.  It is a bit of a trek from the hotel into town but I think the surroundings make up for it!
Post by: welshgal on June 02, 2010, 07:40:10 PM
A bit of Foof!!? mind boggling!!! lol!

We're all inclusive, so drinks should be okay i hope, but will definitely try the other bars.
Post by: welshgal on July 19, 2010, 11:20:25 AM
Pfffffffffffffft!!! flights booked with Goldtrail..................maybe not then!! :(
Post by: chrisbo48 on July 19, 2010, 09:49:13 PM
Hi Tricia,
So sorry to hear about your flights, but hopefully you will get your money back and be able to book with another airline. We feel empathy with you because we are also Nerja fans and are going to Kalkan for the first time in September. We spent six weeks in Nerja last year (feb/mar) and loved it but in looking for a change we thought Kalkan looked similar but slightly more picturesque. All the comments on the forums certainly whet the appetite. We fly with Jet2 from Manchester which are quite convenient flights. Hope you get fixed up.
Post by: welshgal on August 13, 2010, 11:57:40 PM
Still haven't recieved my refund, but may still be able to visit Kalkan. Prices for transfers are really high though, is there a cheaper way??
Post by: Kalkan regular on August 14, 2010, 10:24:24 AM
www.transfers4u.com charge £37.37 per person for the return transfer. It is a shared transfer and you sometimes need to change vehicle at a garage near Fethiye and taks a bit longer. It doesn't take you to your hotel but drops you off at one of a list of hotels, you just choose the closest to your accommodation. If there is only one or two of you it is cheaper but if there is 3 of you you might as well get a private transfer.
Post by: kalkanchris on August 14, 2010, 05:06:58 PM
Dont worry about staying at the xanthos hotel,  in Kalama bay, my daughter has a villa near by, even though i have not stayed at the Hotel, I have visited and also had a meal there, and it was good, but that was three years ago, so I do not know if it has changed since then.

The Hotel used to have its own bus to take people into town just one way I think.
My husband and myselfe, like to walk to town, we take it slow and easy, and we enjoy the walk.

The beach club is further down the hill, free lift, there and back, if you ring them, its a fab beach club very relaxing, and lovley place to have lunch, even though we have our own pool we always go to the beach club twice in the two weeks we are there.
 So roll on September 11th, when we will be enjoying ourselves again.

By the way we are both seventy years old, still life in the old dogs yet.

Have good hols.
Post by: kevincat99 on August 14, 2010, 08:20:52 PM
Xanthos Otel in Kalamar have changed the management this year for the worse it would appear - read the comments on Trip Advisor - can all these people be wrong??
Post by: welshgal on August 15, 2010, 10:53:05 PM
Oh dear!!! haven't checked the reviews recently, what a shock!!! Back to the drawing board methinks!!!!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal