Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: elcee on April 15, 2010, 05:06:01 PM

Title: Good Turkish food
Post by: elcee on April 15, 2010, 05:06:01 PM
We are returning to Kalkan in June (was there for 5 nights in Oct) and much as we loved the resturants we tried, I dont feel we tried the best of Turkish food. Are there any that you can recommend, doesnt have to have roof terrace etc, its the food thats important. Heard some good reports on Doyum so we may try that, any ideas and opionions will be welcome though.
Title: Re: Good Turkish food
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 15, 2010, 06:04:55 PM
For good authentic Turkish food - reasonable prices too - we love Oz Adana and Istanbul. Never tried Doyum, so can't help there. Think Istanbul have moved again this year - really loved the little place they had up by the side of Sofra.
Post by: alantj on April 15, 2010, 06:23:34 PM
Our favorite place is Extinct right next to Oz Adana. In my view while Oz Adana is very good Extinct is excellent, all of the food has a fantastically fresh taste to it and while it is primarily a fish restaurant it also wonderful pides.

If you value quality of food and value over location, I think it is the best restaurant in Kalkan, we recommend it to our guests and comments left in our guestbook indicate that quite a few people agree with this view.   

To get the best of both worlds you could get an early dinner in Extinct and then work your way down to the harbour, finishing at Aubergine with pudding (they are fantastic) and drinks.   

Post by: fidimax on April 15, 2010, 06:44:04 PM
Yep,agree with you on Extinct,is it still the chap who calls himself Tom Jones who has It,Ive never seen anyone de-bone a fish like him,also yes Oz Adana is good,pides are great,but I think Extinct is more like going out for a meal.
Post by: Roxie on April 16, 2010, 01:05:49 AM
Foods good where ever! I liked Nar and Moussaka. Try anything! You are on your holidays!
Post by: michelle2 on April 16, 2010, 07:56:20 AM
Extinct restaurant sounds really good, is it just a fish restaurand though or is there a varied menu?
Post by: alantj on April 16, 2010, 09:46:00 AM
It is mainly a fish restaurant but also does Pide and Pizza, cooked in a wood fired oven. If like me you nornally prefer meat dishes I would recommend the fish casserole, this uses a very meaty tasting fish (I cannot remember its name) and tastes great.       
Post by: littlelin on April 16, 2010, 06:49:40 PM
Extinct does do meat dishes, I had Hunkar Begendi last year, very reasonably priced and excellent.
Post by: elcee on April 16, 2010, 08:31:08 PM
Just reading everyones replies makes me feel hungry - cannot wait to try Extinct especially.  We loved Mussaka and Kaptans, but in general didnt have a bad meal at all. It was just that authentic Turkish feel we are really hoping to experience next visit.
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 17, 2010, 12:04:17 AM
Istanbul restaurant, now re located down by the little market area behind the taxi rank has always had good Turkish food. His menu has a wider selection but if you choose Turkish you won't be disappointed.
Post by: kevincat99 on April 17, 2010, 06:34:30 AM
Also try Cucuk Evi [small house] across the road and up some stairs across the street from Abi Travel's office on the main street down to the harbour
Small but very good reasonably priced food and a lovely welcome :D
Post by: mustafaayse on April 19, 2010, 12:47:14 PM
Istanbul re-located to above the Zinbad Hotel last year, has he moved again?
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 19, 2010, 12:52:39 PM
I believe he has now moved down to the area below the taxi rank where the Ak Deniz restaurant and the No Name bar was located.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal