Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Introduce Yourself => Topic started by: weirdwidder on April 07, 2010, 01:04:25 PM

Title: Hello and thanks
Post by: weirdwidder on April 07, 2010, 01:04:25 PM
Hi everyone,

My late husband and I have loved Turkey for 20 years. Always holidayed in Akyaka until 2008 when we came to Islamlar. We loved the place, so much so that M decided he didn't want to leave and promptly had a fatal heart attack 10 days into the holiday!

Didn't detract from my love for Turkey and her people: rather enhanced it as everyone was so kind...

Anyway, some friends and I spent two weeks in Patara last September and had a wonderful time. Made several visits to Kalkan and even one to Islamlar - during a thunderstorm, LOL, very appropriate! We're coming back for longer in 6 weeks time, so beware... I'll be the lily white female 'of a certain age' who insists on using my 40 words of Turkish at every opportunity.

Would like to thank you all for keeping me 'in touch' with the place I 'lost' my husband. Careless, or what?

Love from Weirdwidder  >:D

Title: Re: Hello and thanks
Post by: itstime on April 07, 2010, 04:46:23 PM
Hi weirdwidder :) you've made me laugh already and after the day I've had it was never going to be easy :)
Post by: weirdwidder on April 08, 2010, 11:15:15 AM
Hi itstime,

Glad to be of service! Sorry you had a bad day; hope today is better...   :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 08, 2010, 02:01:27 PM
Hi Wierdwidder - even your username makes me smile  :)
I think you have an amazing outlook on life and loved your post in the "be careful what you take on a plane..." thread. How wonderfully stoic you are about what I'm sure was an utterly devastating time in your life. If I had a cap, I'd be raising it to you now...
Post by: itstime on April 08, 2010, 06:54:36 PM
Hi itstime,

Glad to be of service! Sorry you had a bad day; hope today is better...   :)

much better thanks :-)
Post by: Kefgirl on April 09, 2010, 05:13:31 PM
Hi weirdwidder! Much respect to you for your fantastic positivity about what must have been a very difficult time.
Good on you for keeping the holidays up. Hope you have a blast when you get there. Kalkan has such a great feeling doesn't it!   :)
Post by: weirdwidder on April 10, 2010, 09:25:29 PM
Hi Kalkan4eva and Kefgirl,

Thank you both for your kind words. This widder business hasn't been easy, but I am fortunate in having good friends who don't treat me as if I have a large W tattooed on my forehead.  ;D

Shall be staying in Patara again, but planning several visits to Kalkan for retail therapy, restaurants and the hope of seeing beautiful young waiters to lust over...  >:D
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 10, 2010, 10:59:30 PM
If your in Patara you must know jimmy and his family from harods!!and Ibor from the Gypsy bar..i shall be seeing them in june ;)
Post by: weirdwidder on April 12, 2010, 03:02:51 PM
Yep, made several forays to Jimmy's in search of nibbles/tonik and sandals, but didn't get around to eating there. Too chicken to attempt Gypsy Bar last year, but promise to give it a go when we're there in May/June.  P'raps see you and Mrs Lizard there?

The local people were so friendly and seemed to really appreciate my feeble attempts to speak Turkish. I am so looking forward to being there and visiting Kalkan, especially with cooler weather and nighter lights than last Sept.  :D
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 12, 2010, 03:29:26 PM
Great food to be had at Tlos Restaurant...half way down the little slope to the village center(opposite side to pancake lady)but no alcohol..Osman is a great chef....his brother runs the little Aspendos restaurant by the bus station which is good and simple  ;)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal