Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: dylanleeds on March 30, 2010, 09:16:02 PM

Title: Indian/Chinese Restaurants
Post by: dylanleeds on March 30, 2010, 09:16:02 PM
I am flying out to Kalkan on 11th July (hope its warm then) for the second year running and what a great place but does anyone know of a chinese or indian restaurant in Kalkan for a change.Also i couldn't find a Kebab shop. People say there are plenty but couldn't find one (maybe to many EFFES at moonlight),but enjoyed the meatball sandwich's late at night on Bezigan road and breakfast at Odaks mmmmm cheers Alex
Title: Re: Indian/Chinese Restaurants
Post by: Blue Lizard on March 30, 2010, 09:28:35 PM
Chopstix Xchange on the Kalamar road..on the right walking toward Kalamar from the village....food OK, but a bit slow ;) (go early before it gets busier)
Post by: kevincat99 on March 30, 2010, 09:31:34 PM
Sadly no Indian  :(
Post by: alshepuk on March 31, 2010, 08:43:12 AM
Why go to a fantastic town like Kalkan and eat Indian or Chinese. I think the Turkish cuisine is one of the best that I have ever tasted.  There are 100's of Turkish dishes you can try which should take you through 15 days.  I must admit when we come home from holiday the first we do is have an Indian or Chinese.  Sad really.  Do you mean a doner kebab.  There was a small place the first time we went near Coast but I think this has closed.  For a great shish I would recommend the Korsan Kebab restaurant
Post by: Babs on March 31, 2010, 12:14:49 PM
my thoughts exactly.......I can honestly say in five visits to Kalkan....the 6th coming up this summer..... that I have ever wished there was a chinese or indian restaurant, in fact the delicious food is one of Kalkan's many attractions for us :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on March 31, 2010, 12:28:43 PM
For a doner kebab - the Fast Food Cafe Kalkan on the roundabout near Teskom supermarket - BH's favourite  :) and not too far to stagger from Moonlight  ;D The Doner House is the place mentioned by alshepuk and it is still listed on KTLN so it may have only closed for the winter months. IBO have opened their Kebab House up by Omar's Kitchen - not sure if they will do doner, though.
Dylan, you could create a nice curry with all the wonderful spices and fresh produce available if you are self catering.
Post by: kim21 on March 31, 2010, 08:54:22 PM
Ibo, who runs Ibo's terrace restaurant in the old town, has opened a kebab house in the newer part of town, where the banks are (Sheyhitler Street), called Ibo's Kebab House, I think this is Turkish food at it's best, fabulous salads and really nice tasting yoghurt and of course his kebabs are wonderful
Post by: KalkanPosh on March 31, 2010, 10:05:08 PM
And we LOVE the ayran machine out the front of Ibo's too - delicious! :)
Post by: alshepuk on April 01, 2010, 12:37:00 PM
What is a Ayran machine?  Am I right in saying that Ibo Kebab is near the weekely market?
Post by: tonik1945 on April 01, 2010, 12:52:07 PM
Ibo Kebab is near the weekly market, also if you register with http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/ they have just compiled a map with 99 of the restaurants on. You have to register as a member. Its a most excellent website.
Cheers Toni
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 01, 2010, 01:36:27 PM
Alshepuk...Ayran is a drink,it's mix of yoghurt,milk, water and salt...i think it's bloody horrible!! ...but thats only my opinion ;)
Post by: alshepuk on April 01, 2010, 01:38:11 PM
I think I will stick to the Efes.
Post by: maryjane on April 02, 2010, 11:25:33 AM
Oh my god - what next?    KFC!
Post by: Em1 on April 02, 2010, 12:00:11 PM
Hi
I do like KFC, nearly as nice as Burger King >:D
Em
Post by: fidimax on April 02, 2010, 12:38:33 PM
???? there has been a chinese in kalkan for years and up to a couple of years ago there was a Indian down by the harbour, as for kfc,you cant beat the chicken man !  ;D
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on April 02, 2010, 12:44:18 PM
We used to like the Indian by the harbour when it first opened, variety is the spice of life as they say!
Post by: PACHSU on April 06, 2010, 01:13:49 PM
Is thEre going to be a KFC?
Post by: fidimax on April 06, 2010, 01:22:03 PM
I HOPE NOT !!!!!! :o :o ::) >:D
Post by: kevincat99 on April 06, 2010, 05:20:36 PM
Why not ?
If people want it - it will survive - if they don't it will close :D
Post by: alshepuk on April 06, 2010, 05:25:58 PM
Then a MacDonalds and a Burger King.  A nice big yellow M by the harbour.  Then there will be plenty of food around for the stray gogs to eat.  .
Post by: fidimax on April 06, 2010, 05:37:00 PM
Why not KC99,KFC like all the other fast food chains I wouldnt feed my dogs,its disgusting.
but that is just my opinion,someone must like it.  >:D
Post by: alshepuk on April 06, 2010, 05:40:54 PM
Right place right time maybe.  I am sorry if I sound a snob but one of the the reasons I go to Kalkan is that they don't have this type of eating place. 
Post by: fidimax on April 06, 2010, 05:43:51 PM
Yep,I agree with you.
Post by: PACHSU on April 06, 2010, 05:58:50 PM
Are there plans for a MacDonalds and Burger King?
Post by: alshepuk on April 06, 2010, 05:59:48 PM
I hope not.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 06, 2010, 06:45:07 PM
There's a Burger King in Fethiye - the locals seem to like it. Not my type of food, neither is KFC or Macdonalds, but if the powers that be want one of these establishments...or a Go Kart track  >:D >:D  in Kalkan, it's their choice. What we as occasional visitors think, is irrelevant  :P . As KC99 quite rightly points out, if there's no demand the place will fold.

Post by: Em1 on April 06, 2010, 09:14:06 PM
Hi
There is a nice BK in Antalya. I have a photo of it, and the menu and the keen prices...PM me if you want a copy to whet your appetite ;)
Em
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on April 06, 2010, 09:48:19 PM
lets keep on topic please  ;)
Post by: maryjane on April 08, 2010, 02:01:37 PM
Wow!   KFC, Macdonalds and Burger King!   Cannot wait to see the drive thro' establishments in the old town!
Post by: alshepuk on April 08, 2010, 02:07:52 PM
You wouldn't need cardiac hill.  Just two weeks of eating junk food would do the trick
Post by: Lougie on April 08, 2010, 04:03:47 PM
Why go to Kalkan if that's the kind of food you want, might as well stay at home or go to Tenerife?

I don't understand the mentailty of people that want to change a place that they love enough to move to or go on holiday to several times, if you want burger king, mac d's etc why live or go on holiday to Kalkan?!?!?!
Post by: maryjane on April 08, 2010, 05:02:43 PM
Well said Lougie!!!
Post by: PACHSU on April 09, 2010, 07:58:30 AM
"If that's the type of food you want" -please explain.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 09, 2010, 01:28:10 PM
maryjane, you were the first to mention KFC on this thread...and Dylan was asking about chinese or indian food -and a doner kebab  ??? .
No-one wants to change Kalkan, we love it as it is, but it's not our choice at the end of the day...! I don't see how asking if there's other types of food available in Kalkan can be deemed a slippery slope leading to fast food conglomerates setting up in Kalkan  :o
Post by: kevincat99 on April 09, 2010, 02:27:30 PM
We had all this last year, where people who fancied the occasional English breakfast, or indeed those who provided it, were going to be run out of town as it was somehow "tainting" the image of Kalkan.
Some people who live here or visit may fancy the occasional change of diet - so let them get on with it - others do not have to eat it if they do not want to
Kalkan is lovely and I am sure that the addition of a KFC or similar [if they ever appear]will not spoil it in the least
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 09, 2010, 02:56:52 PM
circa 1989/90 Kalkan had a chinese restaurant... in those days it was possibly the busiest Restaurant on the harbour(where Kleo bar is now)it was a mix of tourist custom and turkish folk.We used to come into kalkan from Patara which was a whole lot busier than it is now.....i like all kinds of food and what someone else wants to eat is no business of mine.....and is very low on my happiness agenda ;)
Post by: turkeyfan on April 09, 2010, 03:21:50 PM
Unfortunately some of Kalkans visitors think that Kalkan should only cater to their taste.

If a poster asks the question "Is there a..........?" surely other EK members should answer in an informative way - not making the original poster feel stupid for wanting to eat Chinese or Indian when on holiday! 

A similar thing happened to me, before I had actually visited Kalkan, when I asked "Does Kalkan have, or is there anywhere nearby that has an aqua park?"  One of the answers I got was "No, Thank God, we wouldn't want that in Kalkan!"
Well I think my daughters would actually!

This is just my humble opinion tho.

Post by: fidimax on April 09, 2010, 03:39:51 PM
I dont mind BK,Mcd or KFC having places in Kalkan,I dont eat the stuff,but thats my choice.
what I dont like about them is the look of the outlets,bright,brash,tacky and PLASTIC,why cant they blend in with the other buildings,a good example is the Mcds in Prague,really old great buildings that have been there for hundreds of years turned into plastic palaces with massive plastic Ms all over them,and at night when they are lit up they look even worse,can you imagine something like that in the middle of the old town .  :(
Post by: maryjane on April 09, 2010, 07:32:05 PM
Dear kalkan4eva

I am neither extolling nor denigrating the virtues of fast food outlets in Kalkan.
I own a business in England (non-food), and sometimes, sadly, I have to "go with the flow" and, to a degree,have to follow current trends (whether I like it or not).

Slippery slope???    Lets face it, we are all "going to hell in a handcart" - lets hope the pace is somewhat slower in Kalkan, so we can enjoy it whilst we can, before the wheels fall off.
Post by: clara48 on April 13, 2010, 03:54:43 PM
We like Chopstix just off the Kalamar road, you can sit outside and eat under the trees which are all very prettily lit up, very romantic. If you pick up a takeaway you can sit and enjoy a cold Efes or two while they cook and have a good old chat with the owners. Believe me once you've been there once they won't forget you and they'll probably give you extras. Good food, hopitable people  :laugh: .
Post by: JayC on September 27, 2010, 08:53:47 AM
I think the best Chinese restaurant in Kalkan is the Chopstix Xchange. The food here are great and not too expensive as well. Have not tried any Indian restaurant in Kalkan. They say DoyDoy restaurant is good as well, I will try this one soon.
Post by: PACHSU on September 27, 2010, 07:04:30 PM
There's so many restaurant into that place and also you can find some fast food restaurant. I think that it was the progressive place because a lot of food industry in the place. This is the best performance for the place.

Any chance of translating that into English please?
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal