Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => Buying A Property & Real Estate => Topic started by: Lorretta on August 11, 2007, 11:38:50 AM

Title: selling in Kalkan
Post by: Lorretta on August 11, 2007, 11:38:50 AM
Hi all,
I know this is unthinkable to many of you, and indeed I do still love Kalkan, however we are going to sell our apartment and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good agent.
Many thanks
Lorretta.
Title: Re: selling in Kalkan
Post by: alantj on August 11, 2007, 12:14:30 PM
We bought through 2blacklions and found Bridget to be very good, giving us what with hindsight proved to be good advice and a realistic view of the market. We were, to put it mildly, less impressed by some of others we contacted. 
Post by: Lorretta on August 12, 2007, 12:28:50 PM
Hi Alan,
thanks for that. I have heard some good things about Bridget so we will check it out when we go back in September. There seem to be a lot of people "dabbling" in real estate which is why I posted on this subject.
Post by: DRBD on August 22, 2007, 02:46:25 PM
Lorretta  - Another one to try is Express Homes along the Kalamar Road, where you will find either Karyn or Jo or both.
Post by: Honey on August 22, 2007, 03:03:36 PM
Hi Lorretta
Karyn at Express homes is very good,we purchased our apartment through her.
Post by: Brooksie on August 22, 2007, 05:19:31 PM
Kemal at Mavi Estates is a great person to deal with. He will go that bit further for you and he is also a good photographer and will get the best out of your place. Sorry to hear you''re selling but best of luck.
Post by: Lorretta on August 22, 2007, 06:14:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help and recommendations. Although we are selling we will still go back to Kalkan, try keeping me away! Plus all my family are converts too. I think we need a bigger place to accomodate them all!  ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 22, 2007, 06:58:18 PM
ever thought about long term let?i think if and when we move out to kalkan we will rent a place first,that way we don''t burn our bridges and can see what it''s like all year round..friends of ours have rented a place for three years with an option to extend if they don''t buy a place of there own... ;)
Post by: Chucky on August 22, 2007, 08:58:11 PM
I think that is very good advice for anyone think of making a permanent move, even if it is just over the "close" season to see whether it is still the place for you when the resort is quiet, but the building/ normal village life is going on.
Post by: Diane on September 09, 2007, 06:42:57 PM
Lorretta
It MAY be that I am looking for a long term let from November. Might you be seriously considering letting rather than sellling?
Post by: kalkanfan on September 09, 2007, 10:22:07 PM
I would be interested to hear if any forum members have actually managed to sell a property in Kalkan.  We hear (and see) so much about unsold villas and apartments that the ease (or otherwise) of reselling must be a serious consideration for those yet to take the plunge and buy in Kalkan.  Any feedback on how long it took to sell, costs of selling and time taken to find that elusive buyer would be welcome.  It would be interesting to know if anyone actually sold at a profit too!
Post by: Chucky on September 09, 2007, 10:29:45 PM
Two of the apartments at the Korsan sold very quickly. Both the owners were emigrating. Cannot comment on profits. I think the convenience to town and the on site facilities helped.
Post by: Lantana on September 10, 2007, 08:12:17 AM
Last year we rented our village apartment to a couple who wanted to buy in Kalkan but who had very sensibly decided to stay here long term first to see if it really was for them. They arrived in November and in May started to look for property.

By then they knew all the pros (and cons) of each area, had had a chance to look at dozens of properties over a period of several months, had used the time  to compare what you got for your money with different builders and finally, after lots of research, bought a duplex apartment with wonderful views in Kalamar Bay which they had watched being constructed all winter.

There are a lot of unsold properties on the market at the moment and this is the prime time for prospective buyers to come out to view, so we will not really know until the end of December how well the property market is doing.

From what we have seen in the last year, it is very difficult to resell older properties unless they are priced realistically. By older I mean built before 2004. At that time, in many complexes, the standard of fixtures and fittings were not high and the use of space not nearly as good as it is in many of the newer properties. Many of these properties now look rather run down and need money spent on them to bring them up to standard.

We know of an older, 2 bedroom  apartment bought in 2001 for £40,000, which the owner now wants to sell for £80,000. This is a very unrealistc price and it won''t sell.

Newer properties are showing a  15 - 20% profit over 2- 3 years. Older properties  will show a much higher profit margin because they were originally bought so cheaply. So the £40,00 apartment would sell if priced at £55,000, which would be almost a 40% growth, not bad considering the owners have  also rented it out for the past 6 years.

If properties are realistically priced and in a good location, they sell within 3 months of going on the market. If they have a poor location, or are overpriced
( and all potential buyers now do hours of internet searches before coming here so are aware of prices) they can be still be unsold eighteen months after going on the market.

There are still some buyers who purchase within a few days of arriving here, having done no homework at all ( we did just that but that was 8 years ago and the market is very different now) but the majority know exactly what they are looking for and how much they are prepared to pay.
 Lantana

Post by: felicity on September 10, 2007, 10:56:57 AM
to add to the Estate agents debate - I would recommend Blacklion and Xpress homes Karyn but (I''m sorry Brooksie) but I can''t recommend Kemal at Mavi...thoroughly bad experience with him and can''t trust him..I know there has been some debate on this subject (or maybe the TA forum ???) a while back...but it is a bit like the restaurant debate - what works for some people doesn''t for others..!!  So I think I would go with the majority on recommendations..!!  There are certainly a lot of people dabbling - along with every waiter and taxi driver..!! 

Lantana - yes it will be interesting to see if any of these unsold properties go in this selling season (I must admit that I didn''t know this was prime time!!) - I looked in February - 45 villas in 1 week -phew - before I narrowed it down to 2!!!  And winter is a great time to do that - see if you really like Kalkan in the winter - I know I do!!
Post by: Pete on September 10, 2007, 02:05:06 PM
Felicity, I agree with your comments about Mavi.

By way of example, if you look on their website you will see a property under Luxury Villas advertised for sale at £329K, when we were in Kalkan recently, they showed it to us and told us the asking price was £375K!!!! I wonder where the £46K difference would have ended up?

Dealing with them was somewhat like playing a game of Poker with a bad hand, all bluff and bulls---. When asked about rental potential the answer was, "you will get £2k or maybe even £3K a week for this Villa, no problem". What really annoyed me was the fact that they really seemed to think we were that stupid we would actually believe this. I was left with the feeling that they viewed us simply as stupid rich foreigners. The other thing I cannot get my head around, is why both the buyer and seller have to pay the Estate Agent 3% commission each. When property was a lot cheaper maybe they could justify this percentage, but when you are asking UK prices it is now quite ridiculous. I also find it strange that all property prices are quoted in Sterling and have to be paid in Sterling, in most other countries the local currency is quoted.

I too wonder what the resale market is going to be like in Kalkan, as I feel that many of the properties are badly built, are too crammed in and people have paid over the odds for them. The other factor is that most people looking to buy now all want that dream of a brand new property.

If you bought a few years ago and bought at the right price, in the right place, you will probably make money when you sell. You will also be able to charge less in terms of rental, in order to make a fair return on your outlay. If you are buying today, I don''t think you are likely to make much (if any) profit, yet alone be able to rent out at a fair return, especially bearing in mind risk free interest/savings rates are rapidly rising here in the UK.

We came away very disillusioned with the Kalkan property market.
Post by: felicity on September 10, 2007, 02:37:36 PM
Pete - interesting comment about Mavi (and not the first one that I have heard) - I had the same experience with them nearly 2 years ago - felt thoroughly ripped off by them..!!  I take the point about the 3% commission on both sides - that is indeed the case - we were lucky because when we eventually did buy - we went direct to the builder - not through an Agent and therefore saved ourselves the commission.  We were only able to do that of course because of our turkish contacts who we trusted implicitly but that is not to say that I advocate using any waiter or taxi driver who says that he is in real estate..!!  I think the currency issue arose because of the traditionally unstable turkish currency and inflation and therefore it seemed better for the UK market to price in sterling...and that hasn''t changed since....even though the turkish lira is more stable - also so much of Kalkan revolves around sterling - we still pay for transfers in sterling - lots of furniture and fittings we paid in sterling etc etc - all very interchangeable.!!

I''m sorry that you came away disillusioned with the property market in Kalkan and there are some silly prices around - but still some bargains to be had but maybe you need to be with turkish people to take advantage of that instead of having to rely on Estate agents - we were lucky I know - those turkish people are still our good friends so it all helps!!  I guess time will tell if we made a good purchase - in the meantime we can enjoy our lovely villa - but 2-3K per week rental - gotta be joking.... :o  but I guess some people are taken in by that!!
Post by: turkeyfan on September 10, 2007, 03:16:40 PM
I think it depends on your reasons for buying.  ???

We are in the process of buying a duplex apartment and are not buying because it is cheap or because we are going to rent it out a high prices.  We haven''t bought because we want to make a fast buck.  We have bought, because we love Turkey, the pace of life and its people and because Kalkan wasn''t all English breakfasts and disco''s.  We hope to holiday there until the children finish school (8 years) and then maybe retire there.

We are buying through Blacklion and have found Bridget to be helpful at all times, although we do not have any experience of many other agents.

Hopfully Kalkan will retain it''s charm and not turn into a Marmaris or Bodrum.  If it does, then thats when it will be time for us to sell - fingers crossed that won''t be any time soon.
Post by: Charlie on September 10, 2007, 03:31:24 PM
Turkeyfan like you we too bought because we loved Kalkan.  We ddn''t buy it to make a quick buck and hope to enjoy holidaying there for many years to come.  We also would like to semi retire out there, I would always keep a home at home (if you know what I mean!).  There are a lot of people buying foreign homes just to make money from it and if this is the case I don''t think Kalkan is the place to do so.  I do have friends who bought a small apartment outside Bodrum less than 2 years and within 12 - 14th months had doubled their price, that is a bargain......however I don''t think there will be many around like that for much longer. 
Post by: felicity on September 10, 2007, 03:39:55 PM
To add to my previous post and that of turkeyfan and Charlie - when I was considering buying in Kalkan - I asked the advice of an estate agent covering all the turkish Mediterranean whether Kalkan was a good place to buy and should I consider buying elsewhere.  Her answer was - if you want a pure investment property then buy in Bodrum (but don''t holiday there!) if you want to enjoy it yourself and have a place to visit yourself then buy in Kalkan - I think that says it all...  We did not buy to make a loss - but on the other hand - we bought in Kalkan coz we love it..! - renting it out and making any sort of profit when we sell - were of a secondary consideration and I wish I didn''t have to rent it out coz I would rather keep it to ourselves - but mortgage rates dictate otherwise.  I can also see me retiring out there...as I have said on a previous thread - I seem to be wishing my life away here to quickly to retirement..  :o
Post by: doug46b on September 10, 2007, 04:58:50 PM
I have to agree with Brooksie that we found Kamel at Mavi, professional and his knowledge of the property market bang on.  We consider him and his wife Patricia as good friends  :) :) One week to go!!!
Post by: Brooksie on September 10, 2007, 05:16:56 PM
felicity
I agree with you. Kalkan is quite different from a lot of other places. We didn''t buy our place to rent it out to all and sundry as an income generator. It doesn''t really work out there as it does in a resort like Bodrum. It is ours, we don''t let it out, but who knows when we are a bit older we could easily settle there, or sell and make a bit of money. We bought there because we love it.
Post by: Brooksie on September 10, 2007, 05:25:57 PM
Loretta
Whereabouts in Kalkan are you buying your Duplex?
Post by: turkeyfan on September 10, 2007, 06:06:25 PM
Hi Brooksie,

I don''''t know if Loretta is buying a duplex but I am.  Its in Ortaalan - according to Blacklions.  Its not far from the Samira Deluxe and the petrol station. Sort of between the two. Its called Palmiye Apartments.

Post by: Cosetta on September 10, 2007, 06:36:03 PM
If you had bought just empty lots here in Kalkan in 1999, by 2003 you would have increased your money about 800%.  That is no longer the case.  I think property values have peaked.  In 2000 large lots (around 650 sq mts) reasonably near Kalkan went for £6.500 - 7.500.  That same lot today on our hill fetches £60.000.  Unbuilt. Prices are cheaper if you go to areas where there can be no house title (zoned agricultural) which includes Akbel and Islamlar.

But the market has changed.  Originally it was for single family homes with private pools, now it is for apartments.  It is true that the standard of construction has steadily improved over the years, but also true that it depends very much on WHO built the building in question and what the owners personally specified and personally chose.

I know a villa finished in 2003 that has radiant floor heating (cold in winter!), understair hidden lighting, central A/C (not individual A/Cs), and every latest thing one can find in a villa anywhere in the world.  This is a result of what the owners requested but is not the average build standard here.

One thing we have noticed is that buildings are not constructed as ''''anti-seismic'''' as those constructed right after 1999.  I have the impression that controls and standards are declining re earthquake construction qualities.

For about 1 year after the big quake in Istanbul (1999), the gov was being super cautious and the ''''statique'''' -- the guy whose job it is to determine the solidity of both the ground and the construction itself -- was requiring extreme and ridiculous specs.   For example, the gov statique who inspected our land and architectural plan required us to have many massive columns and crossbeams of 40cm thick on every side, and each no more than 4 meters from the next, maximum.  This caused us to have to redesign the interior of our home to incorporate these massive vertical and horizontal beams into the architecture.  Now you wouldn''''t notice their presence in our villa, but we had quite a time dealing with this problem.  It''''s called overkill!  But the builder is convinced that our house will stand even 2000 years from now!  ;D

Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on September 10, 2007, 06:38:27 PM
Interesting and very suprising to be reading this thread, I have to say that I have found Kemal, Namik and Hatice some of the most genuine and trustworthy people I have met and would consider them friends over anything else.

I have never had any reason to doubt their integrity and would certainly recommend them to anyone. When I am in Kalkan I always make a point of calling in to see them and have a chat, if anything its nice to catch up!

I''m sure some of you know the story about us buying in Kalkan without visiting Turkey before, we purchased through Mavi and without their help wouldn''t have our slice of paradise - I can only say "Thank you" to Kemal and his team who went the extra mile.

Jon
Post by: felicity on September 10, 2007, 07:13:56 PM
Hi turkeyfan....I think a previous thread established that the Samira Deluxe area is called Kiziltas and the ortalaan area is around the green school (where our villa is situated) - ie: opposite side of new bus station road and behind Kalamar road...at least that is what I was led to believe..!!   ::)
Post by: Tatilde on September 10, 2007, 07:29:41 PM
We''ve known Kemal since 1998 and bought our villa through him in 2003 with no problems. We had previously made an offer on another property through Black Lion. It was only due to my husband nosing round talking to people. that we found out that we would not be able to use the shared pool, due to a dispute between two original owners of the complex. The estate agent assured us that there was no problem, but had to finally concede that there was. I can''t imagine sitting by a pool in August and not being able to cool off in it! We are very happy with the villa we now have.
Post by: turkeyfan on September 10, 2007, 07:46:59 PM
I wasn''t sure on the area but the apartment is on Blacklions website as Ortaalan.
Post by: Charlie on September 10, 2007, 07:58:16 PM
Hi Turkeyfan having a villa in that area I can assure you it is the Kiziltas area, well that''s what it says on our tapu anyway!  Hope you love it as much a we do!
Post by: kalkanfan on September 10, 2007, 08:05:23 PM
It''s interesting to note that nearly all the responses on this subject relate to buying in Kalkan.  It would therefore seem that it is too soon for most (if not any) forum members to comment on the issues when selling.  I fully understand the appeal of wanting to own property in Kalkan.  I fell in love with the place when I first visited in 2004 and this Friday return for the 10th time.  I have to admit that buying doesn''t appeal for a variety of reasons but each to their own.  It will be interesting to see how the sales perform this winter and the general direction the market takes.  If pushed I would suggest the market is over supplied and over priced yet there is no sign to the building slowing down.  It continues to scar the hills around the town but fortunately the town itself retains all its charm (although a few less estate agents would be nice).  Certainly a subject to return to in the future although I''m interested in continuing the debate further at the present time!
Post by: Brooksie on September 10, 2007, 08:35:19 PM
turkeyfan
My apologies, got my posts mixed up.
Post by: felicity on September 10, 2007, 08:50:57 PM
Kalkanfan - I couldn''t agree with you more - too much developmennt - not enough sales - some ridiculous prices - too many estate agents - never mind the taxi drivers and waiters all waiting to sell you property too...!!  I guess time will tell... ??? ??? ???
Post by: Brooksie on September 10, 2007, 08:51:46 PM
kalkanfan
Interesting observation. I to a point agree with you about Kalkan. If you buy there to make a good short term profit, then don''t! As we can all tell by this forum it is not the sort of Bodrum, Marmaris, Hisaranou type place that will generate lots of rental income for its owners. I have bought there because I love it. If it makes some money in the long term, great. I will have had a lot of enjoyment from it. One thing I do know is you won''t lose money buying in Kalkan.
Post by: Cosetta on September 10, 2007, 09:11:42 PM
Pete, two of our neighbors had a similar problem as you had.  One of the two was convinced of having a great friend, who turned out to be a friend as long as money was somewhere on the horizon and when it wasn''t, the ''friendship'' ended.  The other had the experience of being asked to pay more than the legal 3% from buyer and seller.

On the topic of what was sold, we know two builders who this year sold 4 villas and 2 villas, respectively.  I''''ve the impression that those villas for sale directly from the builder are selling more easily, but this is just an impression.  I know that those 2 builders are planning on building more villas this winter.

Lantana, I''''m surprised that you say now is the high season for sales.  My web stats and an estate agent I spoke with in Fethiye both indicate that winter from November - February are the best sale times, and indeed, that is when my web sites gets the most visitors.
Post by: KislaBlue on September 10, 2007, 09:54:29 PM
There can be no doubt that a lot of speculative building has taken place over the past few years and the many empty properties are  testimony to this.
During our last visit, a couple of weeks ago, one restauranteur (describing himself as a winter builder !) suggested that less building took place last winter and that even less would take place this year. However,properties will continue to be built to order  and obviously will sell ( by definition) .Maybe the speculative builders have learnt their lesson?

Post by: bankieken on September 11, 2007, 01:17:51 PM
I agree that the amount of building activity over the coming winter will be less than previous years.  Our first winter visit was in 2005 and the amount of construction work taking place was phenomenal, however many of the properties built then remain unsold.  Last winter there was a marked decrease in activity and I expect a reduction in activity when we go out in December this year. That doesn''t stop the owners of these vacant properties putting up the asking prices regardless of the slow market!
As has been said previously if a resale property is priced competitively ie. below the asking price of new builds, and has good quality fixtures and fittings it should find a buyer within a reasonable timespan.
I have noticed a couple of things recently which suggests that Turkish buyers are now moving into the area - whether they are paying the same prices as foreigners is open to question.
It is also a fact that the number of large villas on the market has increased and many of the buyers of the £500k properties and above come from Russia or former states of the USSR.
I have heard a number of local developers talking of this lucrative market.  It will be interesting to see what happens over the coming months.
Post by: Cosetta on September 11, 2007, 02:00:38 PM
I too have heard that fewer building permits have been issued for this winter, yet I know 2 builders who are planning to construct a few more non-commissioned villas, having sold most of what they already built over the past few years.

Re the high end market, I am aware of 1 villa sold, unfinished, for US$ 1,000,000 two years ago.  The new owner put in a few hundred thousand more to finish it off.  There are also 2 other smaller villas that were sold for around the same price, £500,000. 

I also think the character of the local market will change over time, partly with an influx of other nationalities.  There was a succession of nationalities moving in and out of the French coastal areas in the short time I lived there, and it is now being settled by Scandanavians. 

Another change might come about here as a consequence of the LaVanta complex above Kalamar.  The largest of those villas is very highly priced for what it is offering, but Kemer are selling the view and their name.  I would expect many Turkish buyers in that complex.  Then, there are already several Turkish families owning villas in Kisla.
Post by: littlelin on September 11, 2007, 05:22:32 PM
Turkeyfan

Our apartment is in Ortalaan according to our Tapu, and we''re along Kalamar Road, opposite the Yelken Apartments.
Post by: Tomcat on September 24, 2008, 03:38:17 PM
Lorretta  - Another one to try is Express Homes along the Kalamar Road, where you will find either Karyn or Jo or both.

Does anyone know the contact telephone or site details for Express Homes on Kalamar Road as I am considering selling?  I''ve looked on the internet but cannot find them listed.  We are going out to Kalkan in two weeks time but wanted to make contact beforehand.  Many thanks.
Post by: Honey on September 24, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
Think you need to look under Xpress homes not Express homes.This is their site also..www.kalkanapartments.com.We purchased our apartment through Karyn who is an English lady & she was extremely helpfull.Hope this helps.
Post by: Em1 on September 24, 2008, 09:08:50 PM
Hi
You can contact Halis or Eddie on
xpresstour@yahoo.com
If you have any problems, I have another email addy...
Em
Post by: Rosie on September 25, 2008, 08:10:26 AM
If you don''t have any luck contacting on email before you arrive in Kalkan you will be able to contact Eddie in person if you go to the Sun Elite Apartments. They are on the corner of the main road in/out of town, opposite the weekly market. Situated at the start of the little road that goes up to the green school.
If you go there just leave a message with one of the guys working there - go to the office underneath the pool terrace. Failing that, go to Sofra Restaurant as Eddie runs that also. His building/development company is also linked to the Xpress Tours and to Elite Apartments on the web.

Good luck with your sale
Rosie
Post by: Tomcat on September 26, 2008, 07:33:21 AM
That''s brilliant guys.  Thank you all so much for your help.  Out on the 12 October  (Yippee!!) so we will make contact beforehand.  Not surprisingly I understand that the property market is very slow but I''m sure that there are a lot of worse places to be selling!  Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Philby
Post by: DRBD on October 17, 2008, 05:56:03 PM
Philby  the numer is :

90 242 844 12 81

fax 90 242 844 12 83
Post by: edisrag on October 17, 2008, 06:05:27 PM
such a shame but never really trusted any estate agent, not the most honest of folk and they play one person off against the other, perhaps there could be a selling board on this site, for those who might want to upgrade down grade or even swap
Post by: kalkanhaven on December 12, 2008, 12:47:39 PM
We too are addicted to Kalkan but have decided to sell our villa.  Ours was built in 2004 by Aslan Uzun and is on the Saneil complex.  Fortunately for us, space, design, fixtures & fittings, etc. are certainly not inferior to newer properties.  In fact, when we''ve viewed ''luxury'' new properties, most had open plan kitchen/living areas, spiral staircases, etc. to conserve space.  We were virtually fully booked last year and intend to sell it as a ''going concern'', as we''re already booking for 2009.  We''ll include our website, plus furniture, equipment, appliances, etc.  Do you think it''s possible to sell with ads on property websites or will we have to bite the bullet and use an agent?  We just sold our UK home for 1% commission and the estate agent provided beautiful colour brochures, newspaper ads, website space and so on.  I guess 3% sounded a lot but perhaps it would be money well spent.
Post by: Cosetta on December 12, 2008, 01:20:54 PM
Anyone who sold an apartment or villa this year?  I heard there have been few sold and very few new to be built.  It appears that some agents have closed their offices.  Some are also more inclined to first sell the properties they have themselves built before showing others.  You might be better off trying to sell your villa directly on the Net. In any case, if you sell before 5 years you will pay capital gains taxes on any profit.
Post by: turkeyfan on December 12, 2008, 03:02:54 PM
Would it be possible Jon to have a section on EK for owners to sell their properties - even if they paid a small fee?
Post by: Pete on December 12, 2008, 03:50:47 PM
I''ve never understood the high rates of commission charged by Estate Agents, other than they are historical when property was very cheap. What do they actually do for the money? Put an advert on their own Web Site.
Lets say the average Villa now sells for £250K and they get 6% commission from seller and buyer ie: £15000!!!! They only need to sell one property a year to make a basic living. Take a look at some of the prices still being asked on Estate Agents Web Sites £400K to £500K!!! Thats £24K to £30K commission !!! Don''t they know there is a world wide financial crisis going on and prices are actually falling.
I think that a section on EK for sales of property would be a very good idea, most other Web Sites like this have them. That way you would only need a Lawyer to sort out the transaction.
Post by: clarborough on December 12, 2008, 06:16:02 PM
I have to stick up for the agents we bought from. They worked hard sorting all the mess my British based but "international" solicitor caused.
Post by: Derya on December 12, 2008, 06:53:04 PM
Good god do you not want anyone in Kalkan to make a living!!!!
Post by: Wendy on December 12, 2008, 08:50:27 PM
Lea at Kalkan Horizon only charges 1.5% commission, plus they will act as power of attorney if you want, thereby saving a few more hundred quid.  Plus they can sort out a good mortgage deal.
Post by: turkeyfan on December 13, 2008, 02:23:37 AM
Good god do you not want anyone in Kalkan to make a living!!!!

I am definately not saying that we should cut out the estate agents for those that wish to use them - nor am I saying that anyone in Kalkan shouldn''t make a living.  But in my opinion, some people are happy to use an estate agent when selling or buying a property whereas others would prefer to sell their property directly- just as some people would prefer to use an travel agent when booking a holiday when others are happy to book directly.

In my opinion it a just another way of giving people an alternative on how they choose to purchase or indeed sell a holiday home.  (We viewed our apartment through a Kalkan estate agent) and they also took us to Kas to sort out the Notary and a tax number- but that is absolutely all that they did to help with the purchase of our holiday home.  Our solicitor sorted out the rest of the purchase and we have sorted the utilities and dealt with the builder ourselves for any problems and snags that we have had.

I just think that for those people who wish to sell/buy without using an estate agent - Enjoy Kalkan maybe an opportunity to link the two together.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on December 13, 2008, 11:28:43 PM
Hi,

I have quite a few plans for EK along with EnjoyFethiye and EnjoyKas and you never know what may be round the corner  ;)

Please can I ask everyone to make sure this thread does not turn into one long advert - Thanks
Post by: olive on December 14, 2008, 03:53:14 PM
Completely agree with the above comment made by Derya regarding this particular thread. 

Whilst EK is, by and large, informative and interesting to both visitors and residents alike surely introducing a ‘Property Sales’ facility on this website would only encourage animosity amongst the locals in the village and the disappointingly increasing expat community.  It would be inappropriate of EK to add this feature and remove the commissions, as suggested by some forum members.  I was under the impression that this website was information based and not set up for business purposes?

Olive
Post by: baclava on December 14, 2008, 06:43:02 PM
The commission rate for agents should be on a sliding scale. If it was 3% when properties could be had for 30k then it definately should not be the same now properties are at the current level.
Are they doing any more work just because the property is more expensive now??
Post by: Gary on December 14, 2008, 07:48:18 PM
Completely agree with the above comment made by Derya regarding this particular thread. 

Whilst EK is, by and large, informative and interesting to both visitors and residents alike surely introducing a ‘Property Sales’ facility on this website would only encourage animosity amongst the locals in the village and the disappointingly increasing expat community.  It would be inappropriate of EK to add this feature and remove the commissions, as suggested by some forum members.  I was under the impression that this website was information based and not set up for business purposes?

Olive

Whilst i agree with some of what you said olive, but do you not think it hard to keep a good place quite that what others said before you went there. of course it will increase the expat community. the forum indirectly does carry information about people letting their property out, there for a business and you will find on the forum answers to so of the questions things will change when they have to register for the yabaci Kimlik and having to have proof of address for the banks on money laundering
i don''''t know what jon is going to do but in my opion is to keep it seperate there will be lots of issues you could start anotherforum regarding turkish law and it is changing all the time, like the the price you paid for the property and the amount on the tapu, then if you sell it under 5 years capital gains tax then the tax when you sold it and from what i gather now you need a yabaci kimlik and you will need to be a resident to obtain one so no more torist visas i think this is to keep a eye on what you buy as the mali are working with inland revenue and visa versa to stop any dirty washing
Post by: alantj on December 14, 2008, 08:11:56 PM
I cannot see why a property sales section on the enjoykalkan site is any different from advertising properties to let. In the UK estate agents face competition from any number of web based services. 

To me Olives'' post seems very patronising, Kalkan is not a theme park and like anywhere else in the world the local businesses have to offer value for money, If they are providing a valuable service they will prosper, if not they will either have to improve or go out of business.

I think enjoykalkan should set up a property sales section and offer the local agents a good rate for bulk advertising on the site, this would both provide an opportunity to the local agents to benefit from enjoykalkans high traffic and give people the option of adverting directly if they felt the agents were not earning their commission.

Post by: olive on December 14, 2008, 08:43:59 PM
The point I wanted to make is that there is a fine line between entertaining a website/forum that offers useful information and advice to visitors/expats and interfering in the day to day (season to season) operations of local businesses. Dare I draw attention to the great taxi debate started last summer- without wanted to go off topic of course.

I find it quite incredulous that my previous posting suggests in any way that Kalkan is a theme park, more Eldorado (failed BBC soap opera!) in my humble opinion.

Olive
Post by: Chucky on December 14, 2008, 09:30:07 PM
Welcome to the Forum Olive,
Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself in the EK Network section? I am not sure if you
fall into what you call the "disappointingly increasing ex-pat community".
Joan

Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on December 14, 2008, 10:02:46 PM
Hi,

Without divulging too much information about the "Enjoy Brand" I would like to reiterate that the founding principles of EnjoyKalkan have not and will not change. They are that "Enjoy" shall

These principles apply to EnjoyKalkan, EnjoyKas and EnjoyFethiye which I hope shall expand and the core values offer benefits to everyone.

Obviously I am not able to continually fund EnjoyKalkan from my own pocket and it has to generate a revenue stream to survive, from opportunities such as property letting advertisements, however, in keeping with the brand exclusive discounts are offered on many properties for EK members.

Should I feel that the "Enjoy" principles are compatible with property sales or other ventures I shall introduce such features however if there appears to be a conflict I shall not allow the founding principles to be watered down for the sake of quick commercial decisions.

I hope that helps - EnjoyKalkan, along with the other sites are here for long term benefit not short term gain.

Jon
Post by: alantj on December 15, 2008, 12:06:04 AM
Olive,

Re your comment about not "interferring" with the local businesses, doesn''t almost any piece of advice gven on the website in some way interfere with local business - eg recommendations about good/bad restaurants, villas, hotels, places to visit etc, etc.   

I didn''t understand the Eldorado reference, why is Kalkan like a failed soap opera.

Regards

Alan

Post by: Blue Lizard on December 15, 2008, 08:48:05 AM
i would welcome a section like the one mentioned...i rent through EK..have arranged transfers through EK...have hired cars through EK..and more importantly met some very nice people through EK...if and when comes the time for me to add to the "disappoitingly increasing expat community" i shall look through all options..if EK has this option i would look here as well...i have been visiting kalkan for 20 years plus...i know people who already live in Kalkan and would seek advice from them hopefully without them being to disappointed at myself and partner adding to the increasing community!! or maybe the drawbridge will be pulled up by then?
Post by: Pete on December 15, 2008, 08:55:48 AM
Its interesting to see the other thread about the Clinic disappearing and the conclusion that it closed because of restricive practices/cartels.
This is exactly what most of the Estate Agents operate. In a truly Free Market there is no way that a 6% commission rate would survive. Baclava is right, it should be on a sliding scale. The other problem with charging commission to both buyer and seller is the conflict of intrest, the Estate Agent will always side with the seller, especially if he is a ''developer'' offering repeat business.
I can see no harm in offering an online selling service on EK. Afterall, any competion is supposedly good competion.
Post by: Possums on December 17, 2008, 11:42:03 AM
This has made interesting reading and one thought crossed my mind is that if we were to make it known on the forum that we wished to sell our apartment and an interested person were to pm us and we then made a private deal between us totally off-forum then surely that would be between us.  The forum therefore does not tread on anyone''s toes, there is no conflict with local businesses.  It would be the same if we met someone in a bar/restaurant and the conversation went in the same direction.

What thoughts everyone?
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on December 17, 2008, 01:09:23 PM
If you wish to mention this in the Trading Zone then at this stage that is ok, please do not use other threads or topics.

Announcements coming in the new year  ;)
Post by: olive on December 17, 2008, 01:35:07 PM
This is a fair comment Possums; the point of my previous postings was suggesting that if EK were to actively set up a property sales section on this website and thus eradicating buyer/seller commissions it would be promoting a conflict of interest amongst the majority of site users and local estate agent businesses.  Of course, any competition is healthy but surely adding this feature alongside promotional discounts on excursions/transfers/car rental etc through one particular Kalkan agent is NOT ''Supporting the local community wherever and whenever possible'', as the EK founder states in his website principles.

Olive
Post by: mouse on January 29, 2009, 09:04:37 AM
Please check your information, not all estate agents charge the 3% buyers fee, which is actually charged to the Turkish buyers as well. My Turkish husband has a house in Izmir and was also charged the 3% buyers fee this is not just to ''fleece the English''. The clinic which was brilliant closed because of finances, not enough patients and it has now relocated to Antalya.
Post by: Derya on January 29, 2009, 01:56:57 PM
Definitely the case mouse, I have a relative who works for one of the national agents out side of Kalkan and the 3% from both buyers and sellers is the norm in Turkey. (and there are not many foreign buyers where she is working either)
Post by: jayne on January 29, 2009, 07:47:05 PM
If the Estate agents in Kalkan are smart and want to avoid any competition, the best thing they could do is to advertise on the EK site itself (either by paying an annual fee to the EK site or EK acting as affiliate and earning an agreed commission on any sales). That way Jon would get some revenue to run the site and they would be getting a wider audience for the properties they are trying to sell.

Jayne

Post by: Honey on October 03, 2009, 11:14:31 AM
Hi
Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere on the forum that i can advertise my apartment which we are putting up for sale please?
Post by: tog miester on October 03, 2009, 03:53:29 PM
You cannot advertise at the moment but this situation will change shortly. The owner of this forum is in the process of setting it up.
Post by: Honey on October 03, 2009, 05:00:48 PM
Thank you for letting me know.Much appreciated.
Post by: latebreaks on April 20, 2010, 12:49:03 PM
I would be interested to hear if any forum members have actually managed to sell a property in Kalkan.  We hear (and see) so much about unsold villas and apartments that the ease (or otherwise) of reselling must be a serious consideration for those yet to take the plunge and buy in Kalkan.  Any feedback on how long it took to sell, costs of selling and time taken to find that elusive buyer would be welcome.  It would be interesting to know if anyone actually sold at a profit too!

I have sold, it all depends on price, be realistic as most for sale are about 40% above real value.
Post by: Hummingbird on April 20, 2010, 11:43:53 PM
Hi Latebreaks, I am not sure why you suddenly responded to an old post on this thread, but with respect I think you should be a little careful with sweeping statements such as suggesting most property in Kalkan is overvalued by 40%.  Why do you think that?

Every market has overly optimistic sellers, that is nothing new and it is up to the buyers to carry out their research and make sure the price is right compared to other property in the area.

We all agree Kalkan is a special place don’t we?

I have recently purchased a new 3 bed Villa in Kalkan.  We started our property search 3 years ago in the Algarve, which must be more expensive than Kalkan by a factor of at least 3 or 4. 

We then moved to the Costa Blanca in Spain and at the time were very taken by Moraira.  A Villa similar to the one we purchased in Kalkan would again be at least  2- 3 times as much.

Neither area is nicer than Kalkan so how can much of its property be so overpriced?

Considering Kalkan generally, I would say the product is exceptional and the property very good value.

Post by: jcac on April 21, 2010, 12:59:32 PM
I agree, we have just bought a 2 bed apartment, not for invetsment but for holidays. In my opinion, for what you get the property in Kalkan is good value

Post by: kalkan4eva on April 21, 2010, 02:21:52 PM
Perhaps latebreaks is comparing prices in Kalkan with other comparable areas of Turkey as opposed to further afield..?
Post by: Cosetta on April 23, 2010, 08:53:24 AM
I think the comparison being made is with other areas of Turkey.  it is of course wrong to say that all properties are over-priced by 40%.  Some surely are, some are for sure being sold close to their building cost.  I am aware of at least 3 such villas.

The cost /value ratio for a comparable property in Kalkan as compared to the Costa del Sol where we own an apartment favors Kalkan.  Even with the depressed property market in Spain, you will still get a larger, nicer property in Kalkan for much less.  And in spite of the high cost of water, electricity and petrol in Turkey, it still costs less to live in Kalkan than in Spain (and much, much less if you live in Altinkum or some less upscale resort).  We have been keeping detailed accounts of all this for more than 3 years now.
Post by: arjlyn06 on October 02, 2010, 04:35:54 AM
Yeah, it was not right that they will include all in their accusation. Maybe some real estates are really having more expenses in their property that's why it was expensive. Costa del Sol was really a great place, and I have been there last year.
Post by: Dorby Perry on October 16, 2010, 05:10:44 PM
My husband and I are looking to move to Kalkan in June this year and i spends hours everyday on the internet to see what is out there to buy. Is there anywhere on this site that existing owners who wish to sell their properties, advertise this, or is this not allowed?
Look forward to your replies!
Laura
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal