Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: KanKan on September 16, 2009, 12:43:26 PM

Title: Easter in Kalkan
Post by: KanKan on September 16, 2009, 12:43:26 PM
What is Easter like in Kalkan? Do the Turkish celebrate Easter? Are shops / restaurants likely to be shut for this period?
Title: Re: Easter in Kalkan
Post by: Chucky on September 16, 2009, 06:32:22 PM
KanKan,
The majority of Turks are Muslims, so they do not celebrated Easter. The shops and restaurants that are normally open at this time, will still be open. Some extra shops and restraurants may open if they feel there is sufficient business from visiters to Kalkan, to make it worth their while.
I am sure forum members who live/have visited at Easter will be able to answer your first question, I think it depends how early Easter falls.
Joan 
Post by: kim21 on September 17, 2009, 09:22:35 AM
Easter falls outside of the tourist season which is between May and October. The old town, all the beach clubs,everything in kalamar and kisla and most of the rest of the restaurants and bars will be closed, Shops mostly stay open and the market continues through the out-season, albeit it's much smaller.
 Remember kalkan is fundamentally a tourist town, most people leave in the out-season,
  an influx of construction workers and heavy duty building machinery prevails throughout the out-season
Post by: Enişte on September 17, 2009, 09:31:48 AM
The next two Easter Sundays are on 4 April 2010 and 24 April 2011.  The first would appear to be rather too early but 2011 will be just days before the season kicks in.  I would imagine that business owners here will be aware that they might expect more visitors and perhaps open a little earlier in the year than normal, to take advantage of this.
Post by: KanKan on September 17, 2009, 10:13:16 PM
Thank you all for your help. We have decided not to go in April now as it sounds to be too out of season for us. We will probably look at June instead.
Post by: saskia on September 18, 2009, 04:12:41 PM
Actually this year many of the shops and restaurants were open by the end of March. I think many businesses have realizes that a lot of villa owners come out in April to get their villas ready for the summer season. Certainly there seem to be more places opening earlier each year and more people around to frequent them.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal