Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: maryjane on September 15, 2009, 02:52:06 PM

Title: Wow - nice to see billionaires in Kalkan!
Post by: maryjane on September 15, 2009, 02:52:06 PM
I expect those of you who were in Kalkan last week saw the amazing sight of the worlds most expensive "Giga" yacht pull into Kalkan bay.
Trivial information follows!
Her name is La Leapolda
387 feet long
3 swimming pools
42 staff
To fill her up with fuel - $1.4 million!
How the other half live!  But Kalkan is a magical place, attracting all types.  Says something for the charm of the place.
Title: Re: Wow - nice to see billionaires in Kalkan!
Post by: clara48 on September 15, 2009, 03:33:56 PM
We came back a week ago and when we were there there was an enormous yacht in the harbour, it was spectacular, might have been the same one. We had a bird's eye view of it from our balcony so my Hubby spent many an hour in the evening Efes in hand drooling over said boat. Must have thrown a huge party one night as it was lit up like a Christmas tree and there were various boats and speed boats ferrying people back and forth. Oh to be a fly on the wall, how the other half live just can't imagine ever having that much money to spend on such luxury. Well never mind I was just happy to be in my rented apartment in Kalkan anyway. One good thing mind you when my Hubby was day dreaming longingly at the yacht it took his mind off his mid-life crisis sports car for a while! Guess it kind of paled into comparison lol!
Post by: Enişte on September 15, 2009, 04:07:10 PM
http://www.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/local-news/36833-mega-yacht-shelters-in-kalkan-bay

A report from KTLN on the yacht that spent Friday night in the bay.  The owner was apparently mulling over buying La Leopolda villa in the south of France from Bill Gates for 750M US dollars!
Post by: rat2 on September 15, 2009, 05:08:06 PM
Trivial information follows!
Her name is La Leapolda
387 feet long
3 swimming pools
42 staff
To fill her up with fuel - $1.4 million!

I think you have the wrong yacht - unless we had 2 billionaires visit. The one I saw is called simply 'Yacht A' after the owner's wife. At 300M US, quite a lot short of the most expensive and a lot smaller to. Impressive nevertheless.
Post by: Cosetta on September 15, 2009, 05:34:46 PM
I was told the yacht in question is Russian owned and the occupants wished to have 5 rooms at Villa Mahal for 1 night ...

However, from our vantage point indeed it seemed there were 2 quite different yachts on 2 different days but our friends in Kisla say it was one and the same boat.
Post by: saskia on September 15, 2009, 06:33:47 PM
If you click on this link you can see the boat/yacht?? (sorry not very technical on this subject!) in question: http://www.mindfully.org/Technology/2008/Motor-Yacht-A-Melnichenko16jul08.htm

Oops sorry EniÅŸte just spotted the link you too had posted earlier.
Post by: claire on September 15, 2009, 07:01:27 PM
I was told the yacht in question is Russian owned and the occupants wished to have 5 rooms at Villa Mahal for 1 night ...

I understand the Villa Mahal is supposed to be very luxurious, but if the beach club is anything to go by (in May it was scruffy; sunbeds tatty and stained, umbrellas broken and staff not particularly helpful) I would imagine Yacht A's passengers may have been left wanting - especially if they had got used to the spectacularly high standards of that crazy boat.

Shame about the beach club - I imagine with a bit of extra care and attention it would be stunning.   :)

I wonder where Yacht A went next....?

Post by: kalkan4eva on September 16, 2009, 05:38:23 PM
Claire there are two parts to Mahal Beach Club - the public part and the residents part. If you're just tipping up for the day you can only go to the public part, which appears from your observation to have less love lavished on it than the residents bit ;)
We had a tour a couple of year's ago and I fell in love with the place...when I win the Lottery I'm going to live there ;D ;D
Post by: claire on September 16, 2009, 05:43:40 PM
Claire there are two parts to Mahal Beach Club - the public part and the residents part. If you're just tipping up for the day you can only go to the public part, which appears from your observation to have less love lavished on it than the residents bit ;)
We had a tour a couple of year's ago and I fell in love with the place...when I win the Lottery I'm going to live there ;D ;D

If I go back I shall do my best to sneak into the swanky bit then!!  It was such a shame k4e - just a bit of care and some investment in new equipment would have made such a huge difference - we probably would have gone there every day as it's only a short hop from where we were staying.  Great snorkeling though...
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 16, 2009, 05:52:41 PM
If you book a table for lunch or dinner, they are more than happy to show you around their site...and any of the unoccupied rooms...so not too difficult to sneak into the swanky bit. Dinner is a lovely experience and the view, in my opinion, is the best in Kalkan....sigh!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal