Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 03:45:41 PM

Title: Best Fillet Steak in Town?
Post by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 03:45:41 PM
This time tomorrow we'll be on our way and I just wondered where you would recommend for the best fillet steak in town?  My partner absolutely loves fillet and although everywhere seems to serve good food, if there's somewhere that's special for steaks, I'd like to choose that one.  I've read about the Mediteran, Alternatif but any recommendations for steak specifically would be appreciated!  Thank you!!! ;D
Title: Re: Best Fillet Steak in Town?
Post by: Denners on September 02, 2009, 04:01:40 PM
Just arrived in Kalkan today (for 6 days), and my thought entirely at the moment as well, is where to go tonight for a great fillet steak. Getting hungrey !!!!!

So my recommendations, in no particular order, are:
Kaya
Trio (with fig & red wine saurce)
Auberguine

We have been told the Alternatif is excellent but not yet tried it !
Post by: MartynE on September 02, 2009, 04:23:36 PM
I'm not a steak expert but Fiona (who lived Paris for several years, so should know) says that the steaks at Kaya are the best she has ever tasted. 

I can definitely vouch for the fish there, too (the Grouper is to die for). And of course there is the magic atmosphere. We will almost certainly be there on our first full night (Friday - can't wait)!
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 02, 2009, 04:33:00 PM
We found the steaks at Kaya on the small side...we liked Zula misty has put a picture of his steak in the picture gallery ;)
Post by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 05:04:04 PM
Thanks for that quick response - it looks like it'll be Kaya......can't wait!!  Only 1 more sleep to go :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: alisonh on September 02, 2009, 05:06:21 PM
Can recommend the Nar for the fillet steak, had one in there a couple of weeks ago and it melted in the mouth - delicious!
Post by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 05:07:30 PM
We found the steaks at Kaya on the small side...we liked Zula misty has put a picture of his steak in the picture gallery ;)

OMG I have just seen Misty's steak  :o- it's enough to feed a family of ten!!!!  Wot-no chips????
Post by: Charlie on September 02, 2009, 05:09:09 PM
My recommendations for fillet steak, in no particular order, Doy Doy, Aubergine and Mussaka - all superb!
Post by: antler on September 02, 2009, 05:14:40 PM
Mrs A and OJ thought KAYA was the best - last week. I thought they were the size of half a cow! The "special" KAYA Steak fillets - one of their signature dishes - comes with little pots of sauce on the side, so you can really taste the steak for what it's worth.

Enjoy - and make sure you share a fresh, sizzling plate of calamari to start, which are, without doubt, the best we had ever tasted; they slice their own.

cheers

Antler
Post by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 05:20:54 PM
Mrs A and OJ thought KAYA was the best - last week. I thought they were the size of half a cow! The "special" KAYA Steak fillets - one of their signature dishes - comes with little pots of sauce on the side, so you can really taste the steak for what it's worth.

Enjoy - and make sure you share a fresh, sizzling plate of calamari to start, which are, without doubt, the best we had ever tasted; they slice their own.

cheers

Antler

That's decided it, Kaya it is - calamari is my all time favourite and half a cow is quite big enough for Chris! 
Post by: felicity on September 02, 2009, 06:01:04 PM
My son who is a bit of a fillet steak connoisseur said that his fav steak places are Moussaka, Nar and the Meldi hotel..!!  :D
Post by: misty on September 02, 2009, 06:20:47 PM

OMG I have just seen Misty's steak  :o- it's enough to feed a family of ten!!!!  Wot-no chips????

I know it's a whopper and boy did it taste good  ;) ;) ;)
Post by: steffi30 on September 02, 2009, 07:00:21 PM
It looks as though Chris will enjoy the culinary delights of several restaurants trying to judge for himself which is the best steak in town - Kaya, Nar, Zula, Mussaka, Trio, Doy Doy, Meldi Hotel or Aubergine.  Hell that's only enough for 8 nights dining.....what to eat for the other two nights ??? ??? ;D
Post by: antler on September 02, 2009, 07:06:46 PM
Mediteran with the sunset.  Adams for the ambience.  Job done.

Next?!!

(I am so envious and I've only been back a day - and can't get my suit trousers to do up, so thinking of wearing my 35" waist shorts from the Market!)

Cheers

Antler
Post by: baklavabuddy on September 02, 2009, 07:49:56 PM
Well honestly Antler! What did you expect, you didnt just have any old holiday. You were like the Galloping Gourmet of Dubai LOL

BB
Post by: antler on September 02, 2009, 07:56:42 PM
But BB!

I haven't changed my weight - I've just moved it all around!

I've now got thin legs - from that hill and all the swimming - and then I just get wider as I go up!

cheers
Antler
Post by: baklavabuddy on September 02, 2009, 09:21:08 PM
We need a new name for you
TGGOD
(galloping gourmet of Dubai, ate the steak, it made him wide)
Post by: baklavabuddy on September 02, 2009, 09:24:34 PM
I have always enjoyed Atlantis steak, the one with prawns in the scrummy sauce

BB
Post by: jinfizzz on September 02, 2009, 09:25:48 PM
Me too - I've always maintained they do the best steaks.  Love the pepper sauce.
Post by: shining-one on September 02, 2009, 10:10:34 PM
We went to Alternatif  and had the most wonderful fillet steak that I have ever tasted. It was served with a cream fig sauce veg and chips.

Think it only cost about 25 TL approx £10.40. We chatted to the owner and asked him to tell the chef how much we enjoyed the steak. He jokingly replied "better not or he'll want more money!!"

I think it was my favourite meal of the whole two weeks we were there.
Post by: lolly on September 03, 2009, 12:08:09 AM
Doy Doy the fillet with mustard sauce is my favorite. Hello to Mehmet, Sinan,Kory and Dogan, see you all in October.
Post by: Tyros on September 03, 2009, 12:12:40 AM
For my money best fillet steaks at The Alternatif, Aubergine and if you like Asparagus and prawns try the Ilyada - this would be my number one. Last year best fillet was at Daphne which has unfortunately gone.  I have never had a bad fillet steak in Kalkan, it's just that some are a little better than others.

Regards
Tyros
Post by: Roxie on September 03, 2009, 01:02:58 AM
Sorry but Mehmet and his brother are now running Moussaka. Doy Doy used to be the best. Try the Nar Bar. We thought the steaks were excellent. Sirloin in Atlantis was very good but my friend didn't like his fillet! Even Kalkan changes and why not. Overall standard if any thing has improved year after year!
Rx
Post by: Enişte on September 03, 2009, 08:07:01 AM
Best I have had over the last 5 years were at Trio (with garlic butter) and the Doy Doy special, with fantastic fried onions.  Special mention too to the pepper steak at Kayra, with a really lively sauce!  The photos of Zula have tempted me to give that a try and the reviews of Mussakka have been fantastic too, especially by Antler, so we may branch out from some old favourites, but still go and see our old haunts regularly too!
Post by: claire on September 03, 2009, 11:23:04 AM
The steak at Aubergine gets my vote.  Big, fat, juicy and tasty... YUM!!  >:D >:D
Post by: Charlie on September 03, 2009, 11:51:22 AM
Roxie, Two Mehmets at Doy Doy, one has moved onto Musakka, the original one is still at Doy Doy! And their steaks are still brill (in both places)!
Post by: Denners on September 03, 2009, 10:51:44 PM
Tried a fillet steak at Alternatif tonight for the first time. Very good it was !!!!!
Post by: Kuzu on September 04, 2009, 12:51:00 PM
We have conducted a short steak survey!!  But hasten to add have not tried Kayas (steak that is..other stuff yes - mm fish cakes lovely!!)
1. Alternatif every time
2. Atlantis takes some beating and is one some people may exclude from their places to eat jut cause of location but has good view

Had steak at Ilban (a restauant we love) but it wasn't fillet...but still nice

yummy!
Post by: fidimax on September 04, 2009, 03:08:08 PM
Every time I am in Kalkan I find a better place for a steak,in aug it was the
Bosphorus at the Samira hotel,fillet steak in pepper sauce,big,thick and cooked how I wanted it,med rare more on the rare side,it was that thick I had to have a Efes break before I could see it off !!!!
I shall try and find a better one in four weeks.  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 05, 2009, 05:06:02 PM
For us ut would be Aubergine's fillet steak - you choose the sauce...or Olive Garden...or Zula...or Trio.. ??? ???
Wonderful also bought fresh from the butchers and cooked on your own barbeque with the freshest salad you'll ever taste :)
Post by: BevJam on September 06, 2009, 08:13:41 AM
Just come back yesterday and I tried lots  of new places recommended on here.
My favourite steaks were
Mussaka, just as good as all the reviews, had fillet in blue cheese
Kaya always a constant for us, neber fail with their steak in brandy sauce
Olive garden, cooked to perfection
Post by: Rachey on September 06, 2009, 10:38:49 AM
We love the Marble steak at Coast - so tender and full of flavour, and cooked exactly as you like, as you do the cooking!  We also thought the steaks at Salt and Pepper were incredible.  Cannot wait to see Coast@Gironda for the first time...3 weeks to go!
Post by: baklavabuddy on September 06, 2009, 10:53:17 AM
Maybe the question should be has anyone ever had a bad steak in Kalkan? I for one haven't, even when bought from the butcher and cooked at home, the steak is superb. Changing the subject the lamb steak from Bulent is unlike anything I have ever tasted too...... so so good!

BB
Post by: ladybird on September 06, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Mine had to be The Nar!
Post by: KalkanPosh on September 07, 2009, 06:25:49 PM
Does the bonfilet at Sofra count? Delicious! Mussaka and Trio are our favs for steak - maybe the secret's in the blue cheese sauce!!!
Post by: anne41 on September 07, 2009, 07:41:12 PM
will be really interested to add to this debate when I go out in 2 weeks - cause the best steaks so far are Aberdeen Angus fillet from Glasgow Cosco - to die for - will see how the Kalkan ones compare ????
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 08, 2009, 10:19:37 AM
look at the view while your eating it!! ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 08, 2009, 06:03:01 PM
Bonfilet is fillet steak, Kalkan Posh. That's what we were told to ask for in the supermarkets or butchers if we wanted to buy fillet steak - so the Sofra's dish should indeed count in this debate ;D
Post by: Eljhem on September 13, 2009, 09:36:25 AM
Zula definitely our no.1 at the moment closely followed by Atlantis.  But I think more research is required ;D  Better book next years flights :laugh:
Post by: steffi30 on September 16, 2009, 02:48:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your recommendations - unfortunately due to Chris being unwell for 5 days, he was limited in the number of steaks he could enjoy.  Our first steak was at Rendezvous, which I dont think anybody mentioned?  The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful, from the greeter at the doorway through to leaving after your meal. No sea views but alternative views of the mountains with a full moon. Highly recommended - I had the Steak Cleopatra which was delicious and Chris opted for the plain fillet steak.  I ended the evening with a brandy which had been heated up just the way it should be!
Our second steak was at Kaya and I have to say this was my favourite restaurant - the perfect mix of great food, relaxed surroundings and inviting, friendly staff.  Hello to Albert, who reads this site and was waiting for me to come to Kaya!!  He was so friendly and caring; when he found out Chris was unwell he said we should have told him as his uncle was a doctor! he was also the joker in the pack - ask him about the mermaid joke!   Kadir was the magician owner and he held us spellbound by the card tricks and his Tommy Cooper impressions.  I started with the calamari (recommended by Antlerdubai) and you are right, it was to die for (light and crispy batter). We then had the Kaya special steak, cooked to perfection (medium rare for Chris and medium for me) which came with mash and vegetables.  I was tempted to ask for chips instead of mash, but was so glad I didn't as the combination of flavours was fantastic! They must have the best fed cat in Kalkan as he is so polite, just sits and waits for a tit bit so you just can't resist him!
We enjoyed all our meals in Kalkan and other restaurants I would recommend include Adams, Alternatif, Marina and Korsan Meze, but these two were definitely the best (Kaya pipped it for me due to the combination of the food and atmosphere).
Post by: antler on September 16, 2009, 08:12:38 PM
Stefi,
Your meal - Calamari & then Fillet Steak in the Mushroom & Brandy Sauce - was Mrs A's choice; she really loved it. We had the Calamari a few times and every time they were "spot on" - never had such nice ones, and they explained that they cut them up themselves. I even "went large" on one occasion and had them as a main course; i did feel a tad Calamaried-out after that session, but they are just gorgeous.

Thanks for the Trip report also - great stuff and glad it all went well. We commented on Gocek, when we passed it going back to Dalaman late at night, and I was wondering what it was like, so you have given us food for thought!

cheers
Antler
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 16, 2009, 08:33:34 PM
sorry to hijack thread ...Antler iv'e sent you a PM in response to your question but my recent ones went missing ..let me know if you recieved it
                                           Lizard ;)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal