Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Everything Else & Classifieds => The Everything Else Area! => Topic started by: claire on July 30, 2009, 09:36:18 PM

Title: Turkish restaurants in the UK
Post by: claire on July 30, 2009, 09:36:18 PM
Has anyone eaten at a decent Turkish restaurant in the UK?  I live on the South coast and I hear there's a Turkish place in Eastbourne called Meze - anyone ever eaten there?

Ta, Claire.  :)
Title: Re: Turkish restaurants in the UK
Post by: itstime on July 30, 2009, 09:38:04 PM
Not eaten there but for any Scottish Turkish food fans I can recommend Ala Turka in Glasgow. Wonderful food and live Turkish music and dancing :D
Post by: jinfizzz on July 30, 2009, 09:42:19 PM
Been a couple of times to a beautiful Turkish restaurant at London Bridge called Tas.  Modern and contemporary but gorgeous delicious food.
Post by: misty on July 30, 2009, 09:46:31 PM
We have a Turkish restaurant and supermarket...... ;D oh and an old Kebab van that appears now and again  :)
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on July 30, 2009, 09:51:15 PM
We have a lovely Turkish restuarnt where we live in Stockport called Eleganze. We went there on saturday. They also have turkish wines on the menu and Efes  :). The food is on a par with Kalkan,but not quite the same as sitting on a roof top terrace watching the sun go down.
Post by: BevJam on July 30, 2009, 10:11:44 PM
Might be a bit of a cheat, but the Armenian restaurant in Manchester is a mix of Turkish and middle eastern dishes. Great Efes as well. Really reasonable prices.
Plus once a month there is a Turkish stall on the Farmers Markets?! Foods great.
Post by: Em1 on July 30, 2009, 10:13:13 PM
Hi
There are turkish restaurants in Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Eastleigh.  The Bournemouth one does nice food, and the other two get good write ups. I should give them a go!
Em
Post by: claire on July 30, 2009, 10:16:01 PM
Cool - Portsmouth and Eastleigh are get-at-able.

I'm starving!!!!  :P
Post by: misty on July 30, 2009, 10:16:45 PM
Pompey has everthing  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: claire on July 30, 2009, 10:20:26 PM
Including you, ey misty?  Oh, it's definitely worth the drive then!  ;) ;D
Post by: sak46 on July 30, 2009, 10:22:35 PM
We have been to a good Turkish restaurant in Southsea called Nemrut-

I did wonder if Em Mr Lizard and Mr Misty had been there  ;D
Post by: misty on July 30, 2009, 10:23:50 PM
Including you, ey misty?  Oh, it's definitely worth the drive then!  ;) ;D

Oh er  :o :o :o :o :o
Post by: claire on July 30, 2009, 10:25:23 PM
A Turkish restaurant and entertainment.  What more could anyone ask for?  :laugh:
Post by: misty on July 30, 2009, 10:26:29 PM
We have been to a good Turkish restaurant in Southsea called Nemrut-

I did wonder if Em Mr Lizard and Mr Misty had been there  ;D
Not tried that one but I think you will always be comparing them to Kalkan....Id rather wait for the real thing.
Post by: Em1 on July 30, 2009, 10:43:30 PM
Hi Sak46
Thats the one that has a good write up!
Em
Post by: misty on July 30, 2009, 11:18:08 PM
Get there before the pubs and clubs turn out !!!
Post by: Eljhem on July 31, 2009, 06:07:55 AM
Osbourne Road, Southsea. Meant tobe very good.  We haven't got round to going there yet but hsve walked by many times.
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 31, 2009, 09:02:50 AM
HaHa......Misty!supermarket has shut down!! as for the Kebab van i was there last night/this morning i have bits of kebab on my t shirt....drat that Efes! ::)

Sak 46 ...not tried that one but it is now on the list!(do they do an english breakfast?) Only joking!!! :o

Post by: misty on July 31, 2009, 09:49:20 AM
Closed down doesn't surprise me I went in when it opened and knew then it wouldn't last long........Ive never eaten a Kebab in my life and don't plan too either !!! Not keen on emulsified lamb  ??? ???
Post by: MartynE on July 31, 2009, 10:01:15 AM
There's a Turkish restaurant in Windsor, called Antalya.

Been there a couple of times and it's rather nice. Authentic cuisine, varied menu and quite good value.
Post by: Brooksie on July 31, 2009, 10:15:55 AM
There's one in Kingston called Cappodoccia, very nice food and cold Efes.
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 31, 2009, 10:56:49 AM
Blimey.......turkish food in Jamaica?   :angel: ;)
Post by: felicity on July 31, 2009, 11:02:54 AM
Ev (part of the Tas group) just behind Waterloo station in the arches (henrietta street) is a lovely delicious restaturant in VERY nice surroundings - definitely worth a visit if you are Waterloo way and they have a nice shop next door selling all sorts of turkish food!
Post by: Enişte on July 31, 2009, 11:25:21 AM
Very nice surroundings?  Waterloo arches?  Things have changed!

Lovely Turkish restaurant (LavaÅŸ) and huge food shop (TFC) close to the centre of Cheshunt, Herts.  If you don't know this fragrant corner of Hertfordshıre, just wait until England go out of next year's World Cup, when you will see it on TV bathed in the warm light of burning cars.
Post by: Mags on July 31, 2009, 12:27:36 PM
There's a good one in Cambridge: Efes in King Street.
Post by: The Engineer on July 31, 2009, 04:09:59 PM
Felicity
         3/4 doors down from the Turkish restaurant in Waterloo is a very famous, fabulous fresh fish restaurant that I always head for when in town. Well worth a try and a lot of celebs use it.

M
Post by: Lorretta on July 31, 2009, 05:59:13 PM
Sofra in Covent Garden is very good, though not the same view as Sofra in Kalkan.
Post by: littlelin on July 31, 2009, 07:27:20 PM
We have one in Chatham, Kent called Selale (waterfall). We went there for the first time earlier this month to celebrate our anniversary and am going back this weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday. Turkish wine and of course Efes. Just like being in Kalkan without the heat and the views. Even got complimentary raki!
Post by: kalkanbabe on August 02, 2009, 07:27:31 PM
I have been to Tas Pide near the Globe Theatre (found it a bit disappointing), Gallipoli, Upper Street, Islington (very good).  Tom Parker-Bowles recommended one in today's Mail on Sunday Live magazine, Istanbul Iskembecisi in Dalston that we would like to try.

We have a very good kebab house local to us in Colchester - Istanbul Delight which does a wide range of kebabs rather than just doner including our favorite  Adana kebabs (last time we were in Kalkan we had a bit of trouble tracking one down and were told by the bloke in Korsan Kebab that they didnt do them anymore because "English people did'nt like them".  Finally got one at the Cati).  There is a seating area and you used to be able to smoke Hookah pipes (prior to smoking ban!).  we also have a couple of turkish supermarkets!  :laugh:

Only five weeks to our holiday!

Kalkanbabe
Post by: kalkan4eva on August 02, 2009, 10:30:27 PM
there's a good Turkish restaurant in Chester, although we prefer the restaurants in Kalkan...don't know why!!!!
Post by: Mags on August 03, 2009, 12:18:23 PM
Gallipoli, Upper Street, Islington (very good).
I second that - went there for hubby's 60th birthday celebration. The waiter nearly dropped his tray when we spoke to him in Turkish!
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 03, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
What did you say to him!!!..maybe that phrase your turkish friends told you wasn't what they said it was! :o :D
Post by: Mags on August 03, 2009, 09:23:23 PM
What did you say to him!!!..maybe that phrase your turkish friends told you wasn't what they said it was! :o :D

Tee hee. No, fear not, o scaly one: it was all pukka restaurant Turkish. I think he was just surprised to hear an approximation of Turkish spoken by English people. I always check any phrases waiters teach us in my trusty dictionary before use!
Post by: WOS on October 10, 2009, 12:34:18 PM
Excellent restaurant in Tenterden, Kent - owned by the same family for years and in a beautiful setting, cafe style tables outside in the summer!

Not Kalkan, but a good alternative when not able to be out there, we went with other friends - also Kalkan owners and really enjoyed it. They have their own website with all the details. (ozgurturkishrestaurant.co.uk) 
Post by: misty on October 10, 2009, 07:52:53 PM
Has anyone eaten at a decent Turkish restaurant in the UK?  I live on the South coast and I hear there's a Turkish place in Eastbourne called Meze - anyone ever eaten there?

Ta, Claire.  :)

There are a couple in Southsea.......
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal