Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: johnl on July 18, 2009, 08:17:35 PM

Title: swine flu?- Taking temperatures/Spraying 'planes
Post by: johnl on July 18, 2009, 08:17:35 PM
Hello.Could anyone tell me if the staff at Dalaman airport are still wearing masks and trying to get everyone to walk past a heat seeking camera to see if you have a temperature as they were in May,and has anyone been refused entry?Our local newspaper has the headlines that thousands of holidays are at risk because people could be banned from travelling abroad if the infection rate continues to rise,yet other"experts" are saying that for the vast majority you may not know you have had it.I always have a temperature when i am going through Dalaman!
Title: Re: swine flu
Post by: misty on July 18, 2009, 08:33:33 PM
Its very worrying that some countries are now implementing screening at point of entry....show any signs of a temperature and your out.
Post by: tonik on July 18, 2009, 09:09:30 PM
Better make sure you take some paracetamol an hour before you land then ;D
Post by: Reygirl on July 18, 2009, 11:32:18 PM
The staff at Dalaman were wearing masks when I was there at the end of April but not when I went through in early July.  However, we all had to fill in a form on the plane giving contact details in Turkey this time.  I didn't see any sign of a heat-seeking camera on either occasion. 
Post by: itstime on July 19, 2009, 12:10:46 AM
Had to complete form on the flight and go through heat scanner before going for visa at the end of June.
Post by: rat2 on July 19, 2009, 08:25:05 AM
Its very worrying that some countries are now implementing screening at point of entry....show any signs of a temperature and your out.

Personally, I'd be very worried if they didn't. If you're sick and know it, don't travel by air. It may be a surprise to some, but that's how diseases spread - and isn't that what travel insurance is for?
Post by: maryjane on July 19, 2009, 01:35:48 PM
It was interesting to read various comments re. pre     arrival precautions/ potential swine flu carriers being screened at Dalaman by the authorities.
Cast your mind back to 2006 - avian flu outbreak in Turkey -  to the best of my knowledge we were never told about this upon arrival, & ignored by the powers that be.  (Details on the FCO website).
So, we are not allowed to bring in a (potential) epidemic, but can take another one home with us!   Double standards or what?

Post by: Blackpool on July 19, 2009, 01:55:01 PM
The Turks are not responsible for UK borders. It is commendable that they consider their country still worth protecting.
Post by: kalkan4eva on July 19, 2009, 07:01:52 PM
No masks when we came through in July - just the heat seeking camera between visa and passport control - it's not obvious, so it could easily be missed if you are not stuck in queues. We also had to fill in the forms again when we went to Meis.
Post by: sally on July 19, 2009, 07:58:50 PM
It's preventing the aporkalypse!!

(I'll get my coat :D)
Post by: kevincat99 on July 19, 2009, 10:13:05 PM
Sally -- you will be getting the chop [with apple sauce maybe]

now I will get my coat as well :D
Post by: mikem on July 20, 2009, 11:10:18 AM
When going, you could take some oinkment with you! :)
Post by: clara48 on July 20, 2009, 12:25:52 PM
We were in Dalaman airport a month ago and they just had the heat detector which we didn't even notice until we passed through it and we filled forms in on the plane. Unfortunately my five year old grandson contracted swine-flu a few weeks ago, thank goodness only mildly and was given Tamiflu which worked immediately and my daughter had to be vigilant about disinfecting areas of the house to stop cross infection. Thankfully none of the rest of the family have come down with it yet, especially as his Mum is expecting. This can be a devastating illness for some people but it also goes to show that it can also be no worse for some people than a mild dose of flu or a virus. The important thing is of course for people to be more vigilant especially regarding hygiene issues. On a lighter note, once my grandson felt better he was quite chuffed he'd had it as he's seen so much of it on the TV and his three year old sister was jealous that he had majic tablets to take and she didn't, kids eh! I think she's still disappointed he still hasn't grown a curly tail lol!!
Post by: Tyros on July 20, 2009, 05:27:10 PM
Is the oinkment for your rashers?
Post by: clara48 on July 21, 2009, 10:16:39 AM
That oinkment for your rashers could really save you bacon!
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 21, 2009, 10:18:17 AM
is it called swine flu because it's a pig to get rid of? ::)
Post by: clara48 on July 21, 2009, 02:16:28 PM
Hope this lurgy is soon for the chop!  :o
Post by: misty on July 21, 2009, 03:34:16 PM
is it called swine flu because it's a pig to get rid of? ::)
You have to trotter off to the chemist for some medicine
Post by: clara48 on July 21, 2009, 04:12:09 PM
Can't be ham-fisted with this sort of thing!
Post by: woody on July 21, 2009, 09:06:25 PM
Hi we have just come back (20Th July) no masks didn't even notice heat detectors, the funny thing was on the plane home to Manchester they sprayed something like insecticides in the plane i don't know if this was what they always do.

Tracy.
Post by: Reygirl on July 21, 2009, 09:22:24 PM
They sprayed the plane I was on the other week with insecticide and said it was normal practice - the only times I've experienced that before was in the Carribbean and Far East.  I've been to Turkey a lot in the past 3 years and it hasn't been 'normal practice' until now! 
Post by: RosiB on July 21, 2009, 09:47:06 PM
They always used to do it on Monarch - we were using them 12 years ago.
Post by: Chucky on July 21, 2009, 09:55:17 PM
I was always led to believe it was to kill mossies?
Post by: Reygirl on July 21, 2009, 10:07:00 PM
They always used to do it on Monarch - we were using them 12 years ago.

I was on a Monarch plane - which I hadn't used before to Turkey - so that explains why they said it was normal practice!
Post by: Reygirl on July 21, 2009, 10:11:52 PM
Sorry - got my reply in previous posting mixed in with the quote.
Post by: Blue Lizard on July 22, 2009, 12:11:38 AM
always used to be the case many years ago landing on return "your cabin crew will shortly pass through with a short spray of insecticide please cover your mouths or don't breathe" i opted for the cover my mouth....otherwise i might of died ;D
Post by: popps on July 22, 2009, 05:57:06 PM
They do it while crossing state to state in Australia on a bus. Experienced a spray when travelling from New South Wales to Queensland.
Post by: simone on July 29, 2009, 02:44:58 PM

Yes, they were still taking temps at the beginning of July. ;)
Post by: simone on July 29, 2009, 02:47:02 PM
Sounds like your telling porkies to me!! ;)
Post by: Denners on July 29, 2009, 02:50:59 PM
Yes, you pass by a heat sensitive camera immediately before passport control (after visas).
We did yesterday !
Post by: Dawn on August 05, 2009, 11:24:56 AM
Will a hot flush set off the heat detector????
Post by: Blue Lizard on August 05, 2009, 11:48:50 AM
Only if you had just eaten a bowl of chillies ;)
Post by: Mags on August 07, 2009, 12:23:59 PM
Will a hot flush set off the heat detector????
I was wondering exactly the same thing. Wouldn't be surprised: when I get one of my Menopausal Melt Specials, I nearly set off the heat detectors in our house! I suppose they might realise something's wrong if the system keeps flagging up women in their 50's as potential swine flu victims.....
Post by: Chucky on August 07, 2009, 12:33:36 PM
Did you read about the German man who was so annoyed at having to remove his belt and shoes at the security check-in at Heathrow, he stripped naked!!!
Bet a few temperatures soared. LOL
Post by: The Engineer on August 07, 2009, 01:47:02 PM
Hi Tracy
           Yes they always spray into the open over head lockers. I find they do this when leaving most hot countries. I think it may have something to do with insects.

M
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal