Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Money & Finance => Topic started by: tonik on July 04, 2009, 04:36:30 PM

Title: Transfer of money from uk bank (Halifax) to Deniz Bank
Post by: tonik on July 04, 2009, 04:36:30 PM
Hi
I want to transfer some money to Deniz Bank as a deposit for apartment which I will be renting in October. The person I will be renting from has advised me that if my bank doesn''t "work" with their bank I could end up paying £35-£40 in commission. My bank has advised me that if I transfer on line they will charge me £9.50. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this and whether this might be a good price or whether I can do it more cheaply.
Thanks in advance for any advice which might be forthcoming :)
Title: Re: Transfer of money from uk bank (Halifax) to Deniz Bank
Post by: kevincat99 on July 04, 2009, 05:33:44 PM
I think that rates vary bank to bank in the UK
I used a SWIFT transfer via Nationwide and it was a flat fee of £20
Post by: Enişte on July 04, 2009, 06:21:12 PM
If its coming to a lira account, try Voltrex, who transfer for free after you set up an account with them and probably get a bit on the exchange rate but still give a fair rate too.  If its sterling, the Nationwide option seems a good one
Post by: Reygirl on July 04, 2009, 11:28:52 PM
I''ve also transferred money to a Turkish bank account using the international SWIFT system through Alliance and Leicester.  The fee is around £16 but only if you pay in euros. 
Post by: Anne on July 05, 2009, 10:46:06 PM
I transferred money from the HSBC to Deniz bank and was charged twice, 2 x £15.  When I queried this at both ends, I was told that the money was transferred through an intermediary bank, hence the 2 charges.  So the advice you received about ''if your bank didn''t work directly'' with the Deniz bank you might end up with a substantial charge is true.  I would advise you to check if the money will go directly or via an intermediary.  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£9.50  seems a good rate.  I complained about not being told of the double charge and at least got one lot of £15 back.

Post by: tonik on July 08, 2009, 06:36:29 PM
Money has been transferred and so far think they only charged £9.50. Better wait and see!
Post by: Possums on July 10, 2009, 10:51:35 PM
I think that rates vary bank to bank in the UK
I used a SWIFT transfer via Nationwide and it was a flat fee of £20

That''s funny - I am with Nationwide and get charged the flat fee of £20 but then Deniz also charge another £15.  Transfer to Deniz has been done twice and twice they have charged - hasn''t happened when I have transferred to other Turkish banks.

Strange?

Rosemary of Possums
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal