Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: claire on June 12, 2009, 06:54:28 PM

Title: Marine life questions
Post by: claire on June 12, 2009, 06:54:28 PM
Hi All

Did loads of snorkeling during out holiday and just about every time we did it we saw these long, narrow fish with really long snouts/mouths.  They normally hung around not doing much at all!  When we got close they changed colours - sometimes they were dark, sometimes light and sometimes striped.

Also saw lots of massive schools of little black fish - max 2 inches) with distinctively v shape tail fins.  They were very sweet and didn''t mind us getting close.

Anyone know what these two types of fish are?

Cheers, Claire.
Title: Re: Marine life questions
Post by: helen1 on June 12, 2009, 09:25:42 PM
My other half who''s a diver says the first ones might be cornet fish. He says he hasn''t got a clue about the others. He wants me to stress he could be wrong about the first one!!
Post by: claire on June 12, 2009, 09:33:32 PM
Yay!!!!  Thank you helen1 and your husband - I''ve just checked out on google images and they were definitely Cornetfish! 

Cheers, Claire  :)
Post by: kalkangrover on June 13, 2009, 04:25:05 AM
Actually, both of the species you described are quite plentiful in and around the Kalkan bay. The longer fish could be a cornet fish but frequent divers in Kalkan more commonly identify them as trumpet fish. The smaller fish sound as though they were the type of damsel fish that are very common in the area.

Hope that helps.

KalkanGrover
Post by: claire on June 13, 2009, 02:18:23 PM
That''s grand, thank you  :)
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal