Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Del119 on May 25, 2009, 10:25:02 PM

Title: Wine in Kalkan
Post by: Del119 on May 25, 2009, 10:25:02 PM
Hi, We''re coming back to Kalkan for the 3rd consecutive year and really looking forward to it!.

In the past, we''ve always been unsure about what the good wines are to buy in the local supermarkets and want to avoid those one that once you''ve had two glasses, make you feel like you have two heads! :o

Can anyone recommend any wines, either white or Rose - nothing too dry, maybe something similar to a chardonnay or Zinfandel?

Worst case scenario, we won''t feel too unhappy if we have to stick to the Efes!

Thanks, Del
Title: Re: Wine in Kalkan
Post by: DawnT on May 25, 2009, 10:28:22 PM
Angora for white
Lal for rose

not that I drink that much  :angel:
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on May 25, 2009, 10:34:27 PM
Personally we preferred the Rosato for rose wine, for white we went for Cankaya and for red Yakut

all personal preference  :)
Post by: sally on May 25, 2009, 10:39:14 PM
I love wine - but I have to say that wine in Turkey is not great & the price charged in restaurants is unbelievable so I tend to stick to beer.
Post by: yoyo on May 25, 2009, 10:44:05 PM
I too tend to stick to efes but on the odd occasion I do have wine I go for Cankaya
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on May 25, 2009, 10:48:57 PM
know what you mean about the prices in some places - its plain stupid, especially considering the quality!
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 26, 2009, 08:17:18 AM
yes buy it from the supermarket...mrs lizard likes it with sprite in so we go for cheap plonk,Turkish wine isn''t particularly good it''s far to dry tasting for us...Efes for me!! ;)
Post by: felicity on May 26, 2009, 08:29:57 AM
Angora for red or white - about 9-10 lira in supermarkets - not too bad a price - you can double that (or double plus a little) for the same bottle in the restaurants).

enjoy!
Post by: Vieux con on May 26, 2009, 04:03:50 PM
Agree with felicity on Angora; also look out for Moneta, extremely quaffable,  available in red or white. My favourite rose was Lal.
Post by: Del on May 26, 2009, 11:45:17 PM
We''re big wine drinkers at home but, probably unlike most people,  our alcohol intake actually drops on holiday. We find all the wine generally poor  & I stick to Efes or the occasional Raki & water, Mrs Del Vodka & cherry or the odd G&T.
All of the above are preferable to wine in hot weather.
Post by: bassett on May 27, 2009, 08:03:46 AM
vodka with fresh melon juice at merkez!
Post by: JOYCEEY on June 09, 2009, 04:00:09 PM
I would definitely recommend angora red/white, I always tend to get a bad head when i drink red wine in uk regardless of price.  I can drink 2 bottles of angora and never had a hangover yet- it doesn''t seem to have those horrid chemicals and its a good price!!!!
Post by: clarel on June 11, 2009, 12:29:09 PM
 >:D We always have Angora red or white. I love a good rioja or orvietta, but I find Angora is absolutely fine and enjoy it when in Kalkan. Sounds like you will have a great time wine tasting!  ;D
Post by: KalkanPosh on June 11, 2009, 01:22:20 PM
If you like Rose wine, then Lal is extremely quaffable, too ;)
Post by: popps on June 12, 2009, 07:15:30 PM
Sitting outside Yatch Point on our last night we tried to come up with ten things we were looking forward to on our return to sunny England. One was a good bottle of Riojja - the other was seeing our dog! :)
Post by: MartynE on June 12, 2009, 08:15:38 PM
We actually enjoy the wine in Kalkan. Not as much variety or as good value as you can get in the UK, but you have to remember it''s a Moslem country and they whack a large amount of tax on alcohol.

Can''t comment on the white wine because we never drink it, but Angora red is perfectly ok. We''ve even been known to have a bottle of Dikmen which is on the cheaper side but still drinkable (just)!
Post by: Lorretta on June 13, 2009, 08:01:39 AM
A glass (or 2!) of chilled Rosato for me. Lovely.
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on June 13, 2009, 09:53:03 AM
ooooh me too Loretto I love Rosato, it''s the nicest rose i''ve had in Kalkan. ;D
Post by: Lorretta on June 13, 2009, 12:01:34 PM
I think you must have Rosato on the brain Jules, you called me Lorretto! LOL. xxx
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on June 13, 2009, 06:29:49 PM
Ill apologise on her behalf Loretta! You know what ladies and wine are like! ;D
Post by: Chucky on June 13, 2009, 08:55:00 PM
No? Care to enlghten us? ;D
Post by: Chucky on June 13, 2009, 08:56:12 PM
No Jon.......Care to enlighten us? ;D
Post by: alantj on June 14, 2009, 12:41:44 AM
I would definitely recommend angora red/white, I always tend to get a bad head when i drink red wine in uk regardless of price.  I can drink 2 bottles of angora and never had a hangover yet- it doesn''''t seem to have those horrid chemicals and its a good price!!!!

What on earth are you buying in the UK, we avoid Angora as it is pretty rough even by Turkish standards. There is good Turkish wine but its very expensive, so we now tend to stick to Effes and spend the money we save on food at the Olive Garden, Rendevous, Aubergine etc.     
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal