Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: shining-one on May 21, 2009, 10:33:17 PM

Title: Mobile Broadband
Post by: shining-one on May 21, 2009, 10:33:17 PM

Sadly my husband plans to work while we are in Kalkan for the first time in mid August .

Can he use his Vodafone 3 G broadband for his laptop while we are there?
Title: Re: Mobile Broadband
Post by: Brooksie on May 22, 2009, 01:36:08 PM
I''m afraid he can :D
Post by: lorilou on September 16, 2009, 11:07:29 AM
Hi, I'm in the same boat - but `i have to do a bit of work too! Brooksie, we're on mac's - do you know if we can use the O2 'tether' facility on the i phone? Or would we be better off getting a 'dongle' - the staff at o2 are fairly non committal about what would work best ... or what would work at all for that matter! We're also staying in kaya kou for a week - I suspect that's a dongle too far - does anyone know?
many thanks. the forum, is really helpful and fun to read too.
Post by: Brooksie on September 16, 2009, 11:20:12 AM
You'll be better off using one of the free wirelees internet points around the village. There are loads of them. I use Itouch, pc and mac here with no problems.
Post by: lorilou on September 16, 2009, 11:45:30 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks. We'll do that then! Just wanted to avoid lugging laptop about ... could use the iphone ... thought a dongle or some other gizmo might be able to connect to a compatible mobile network from the villa. really kind of you to respond so quickly, thank you!
L
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 16, 2009, 05:58:43 PM
I'd avoid a dongle at all costs...the O2 rates for use in Turkey are hideous...look at the thread on Blackberry bills in "Money" if you're thinking of using your i-phone..would imagine the same rules would apply.
I need to work when we are there next month and I'll be using the wireless in Kalkan Parc. Providing you are buying drinks/food this isn't a problem.
Post by: lorilou on September 16, 2009, 10:58:29 PM
thanks 'Kalkan4eva' - good advice.
Am i right in thinking that the Kalkan Parc is a hotel?
L
Post by: Mercimek on September 17, 2009, 06:07:42 AM
lots of retaurants and hotels have wi-fi.
3G has not come to Kalkan yet but is expected in 2010
Post by: Cosetta on September 17, 2009, 07:40:12 AM
For 3 months I used my Edge mobile phone together with a GPRS subscription from Turkcell at TL59 / month.  Connected my phone/modem to my laptop and had no trouble connecting to the internet from any location including at the top of Islamlar. 

I found some of the wireless connections in town to drop constantly or had problems logging onto them.  the only one I found that worked well is in the bar behind Yali, near the gym.
Post by: Blue Lizard on September 17, 2009, 08:29:08 AM
That bar is Cinar bar....Tekin the manager is great and very helpful ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on September 17, 2009, 02:40:17 PM
Lorilou, Kalkan Parc is a bar/restaurant, just down from Cinar Bar on the way into town - they are both on the same side of the road. Try them both and see which suits your needs - both are really nice places to work - beats my office any day ;D ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal