Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => Living In Kalkan => Topic started by: Lou on May 20, 2009, 02:29:08 PM

Title: Buildings & Contents Insurance
Post by: Lou on May 20, 2009, 02:29:08 PM
Hi Everyone

Just wondering how your bills compare to mine to insure a 4 bed villa, I paid:
204 TL - Earthquake
673 TL - Building & Contents

Does this seem reasonable/competitive - can anyone recommend  a good insurance company?

Title: Re: Buildings & Contents Insurance
Post by: kevincat99 on May 20, 2009, 05:55:40 PM
DASK earthquake insurance is a standard price per square metre by property size / construction
Normal household insurance is of course totally dependent on villa building replacement values and contents insurance
So it is very difficult to compare
Lots of people now seem to go to one of the banks who seem good value I understand - with quotes and policies in English
Post by: Rosie on May 21, 2009, 07:49:42 AM
Might seem a daft question - but would that be UK or Turkish Banks??
Post by: alantj on May 21, 2009, 08:07:09 AM
Hi,

Do the prices you quoted include cover for renting your property (including public liability).

NB I would be interested to hear if anyone could recommend a company that provide this cover.

Regards

Alan 
Post by: HEATH on May 21, 2009, 09:32:49 AM
Hi
We get our insurance through quoterequests@intasure.com they included our public liability insurance  and also the top up insurance for the earthquake cover ;D
Post by: HEATH on May 21, 2009, 09:41:37 AM
sorry wrong web address its www.intasure.com
Post by: Alanpatfisher on June 02, 2009, 05:38:38 AM
Hi Lou,

Have you had any responses to the quotes you were given? Where are the quotes from? We understand there''s an insurance man in town as well. I didn''t know about the banks which is useful to know. We''re checking it all out this week. Any advice is welcome.

Pat
Post by: Brooksie on June 02, 2009, 09:12:31 AM
We use Ali Tunc based in Kalkan.
Just renewed our buildings and contents with him and found him more reasonable than other quotes we got.
Post by: MartynE on June 02, 2009, 10:44:00 AM
I think it depends on whether you are renting out or not. If not, then the policies arranged by local agents should be fine.

However, since we rent our apartments out we were very concened about the public liability cover on the local policies. Basically, there isn''t any.  It is just not on their radar in Turkey (although if they join the EU it certainly will be)! The attitude seems to be that if - for example - someone slips walking round the pool and cuts their head open on the stone balustrade (or worse) then: "as long as you have warning signs up, it is their own fault"!

Oh dear. The problem is that our guests tend to be from the UK (or other EU countries) and they would have no hesitation in suing us for £zillions if they did have an accident.... the Turkish insurance policies would leave us up a creek without a paddle in that respect.

So basically, after a lot of research, we decided to go with Intasure in the UK. The policies are written in English, they offer £5 million public liability cover and the premiums aren''t much more than you would pay in Turkey. For us, the peace of mind is well worth the extra cost, anyway.

Hope this helps.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal