Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: claire on May 09, 2009, 09:38:55 AM

Title: Non-booze drinks
Post by: claire on May 09, 2009, 09:38:55 AM
Hi All,

Just wondered what Turkish coffee is like?  Likewise the tea?  I heard that apple tea is popular - is it pre- sweetened? 

Bit limited, as I can''t take overly sweet stuff, including fruit juices, or booze, so wondering what I''ll be glugging aside from bottled water and diet Coke!!

Cheers, Claire  :)
Title: Re: Non-booze drinks
Post by: fidimax on May 09, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Turkish tea,if its made right is really nice,with or without sugar,the turkish coffee is ok,very strong and could take some getting used to,depending on how you like your coffee,but worth a try you never know,
never tried the apple tea so I cant say,for a change try the hibiscus tea if you can find it,hot or cold,really refreshing and I have been told its good for stomache upsets and dettox.

Neil. :) 8)
Post by: Lorretta on May 09, 2009, 11:20:16 AM
Apple tea is very nice. I take mine without sugar as it is fairly sweet anyway. Cherry juice is really nice too although I prefer it if mixed with a large gin!
Post by: Mags on May 09, 2009, 11:57:11 AM
Liptons Ice Tea (lemon flavour) is very refreshing during the heat of the day. Not sure if it would be too sweet for you, though?
Post by: sally on May 09, 2009, 03:07:06 PM
I don''t have a sweet tooth at all & it is rare for me to eat sweets or puddings. Turkish tea is lovely, I find the apple tea a bit artificial tasting.  Ayran (spelling?) is made from yoghurt (plain) mixed with water & salt & is very refreshing. The Korsan do a lovely mint lemonade (fresh)  & Kalamar beach club also do a fresh lemon, semi frozen drink that is delicious. I find Liptons iced tea too sweet. Quite like Turkish coffee as long as you don''t drink the sludge at the bottom of the cup by mistake.

Post by: Rosie on May 09, 2009, 06:25:31 PM
How about trying freshly squeezed orange juice with a few ice cubes - Mmm very refreshing long drink on a hot day! Or what about iced coffee, perhaps with a scoop of ice cream on the top and finished off with a squirt of cream?

Fresh Pomegranate juice is another great drink when it''s in season, (I know you can''t Claire but it is even better with a vodka)!

I also agree with fidimax - try the hibiscus tea (you can buy it in the market) it has a natural sweetness of its own and is a glorious ruby wine colour. I have brought lots back home for friends cos they just can''t get enough of it, plus it''s healthy!

A lot of the bars do non alcoholic cocktails so I''m sure wherever you are, you won''t be stuck for choice.
Post by: Blackpool on May 09, 2009, 06:55:01 PM
Turks will add almost any herb to hot water and call it çay (tea). In goes a sprig, add some sugar, quick swizzle round and down it goes!

I find sage çay quite pleasant.

Post by: yoyo on May 09, 2009, 07:28:28 PM
When I''''m fed up of drinking water during the day I quite like the watermelon or melon juices that they do at the Merkez or try the Cherry juice and soda. 
Post by: claire on May 09, 2009, 11:59:28 PM
Thank you all, really helpful (as always!)  Will definitely try as many of those as I can - they sound delicious.

The more I read about Turkey the more I want to know and experience.  I can''t believe I''ve not been before...?!

Cheers!
Post by: maryjane on May 14, 2009, 01:24:34 PM
I am drinking apple tea as I write this in gloomy old England.   Go to the Thursday market to one of the herb/spice stalls and buy some.  However, be careful where you store it at home, it looks like floating fish food pellets, and yes - I have fed it to my fish by mistake, they did not think it was too sweet!
And no, I have drunk fish pellets by mistake! 
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 14, 2009, 01:58:10 PM
it looks more like mouse poo!! :o :o
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal