Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: claire on April 03, 2009, 06:29:40 PM

Title: Footwear for women
Post by: claire on April 03, 2009, 06:29:40 PM
I''m going to Kalkan the last 2 weeks of May and am staring to think about what to wear (typical woman!).  What I was wondering about specifically is footwear.  We''re staying at Fidanka and are preparing ourselves for a few walks (taxis too!).  I''m aware that it''s a bit hilly in Kalkan itself too.  I''m not a high heel type of woman, but am wondering just how ''sensible'' I need to go, sandal-wise.  Do I need to go for those hideous hiking-type sandals, or could I get away with pretty flats, or is it something in between like Birkenstocks?

Thanks, Claire.
Title: Re: Footwear for women
Post by: yoyo on April 03, 2009, 06:48:03 PM
I tend to go for the more "robust" type of sandal during the day and then change into pretty toe posts  with between flat to 1in wedges for the evenings. The only bit I find particularly tricky is just past the Moonlight bar going down into the main street and again just as you turn down towards the harbour at the end of the street where the paving has started to get a little bit shiney!
Post by: turkeyfan on April 03, 2009, 07:12:26 PM
Flip flops, flip flops and more flip flops!

Be careful with those that have a smooth leather sole though.
Post by: Mrs Enjoy Kalkan on April 03, 2009, 07:32:21 PM
I wear flip flops in the day and wedges usually at night time as long as they''re not those ones that tie round your ankle, as on those hills you can slip out of your shoe. Agree with you so much yoyo
about that bit near moonlight , me and Jon have often nearly gone sliding down the hill . I lose count of the number of times he''s had to grab my hand as I''ve gone flying !  :o
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on April 03, 2009, 07:33:26 PM
........... and thats before a drink!!!!
Post by: yoyo on April 03, 2009, 07:48:38 PM
Have you ever walked down there first thing in the morning when they are out wetting the roads, now that is fun!! I tend to do the splits and end up with blood pouring from a cut on one of my knees at least once a year somewhere in Kalkan and it''s usually during the day when I''m wearing my "sensible" sandals  ::)
Post by: sally on April 03, 2009, 07:51:16 PM
I have to say that I find flip flops an absolute killer on the downhill as your foot is forced forward & gets really sore between your big toe & the next one.  I''m a recent convert to Birkenstocks & last year found them the comfiest thing I''d ever worn in Kalkan.

This sort of thing is OK as well - but don''t like the ''bit between the toes !!

(https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.splendicity.com%2Fsheknowsbest%2Ffiles%2F2007%2F05%2Fsummer_dress_sandals2.jpg&hash=30e515f1057f89fb1b9745bb91297d19d2b648e2)
Post by: claire on April 03, 2009, 07:58:57 PM
Glad I asked!!!!!  :o  :laugh:

Thanks all xx
Post by: yoyo on April 03, 2009, 08:02:21 PM
Look for something with a decent looking grip on the soles, and as long as you are careful you should be fine.
Post by: Charlie on April 03, 2009, 10:28:48 PM
Have bought several pairs of ''Birkinstock'' sandals in the market in Kalkan.  Ever so cheap and the most comfortable footwear for Kalkan.  You can even get them with shiny, diamante trim!
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 04, 2009, 08:00:35 AM
a sturdy pair of flippen floppen...these also double up as mozzie blatters!! ;D
Post by: Brooksie on April 04, 2009, 08:27:21 AM
Taxi!!!!
Post by: msr on April 04, 2009, 05:19:38 PM
Birkenstocks. We walk in from Patara Prince (and back sometimes). It is all I ever take, I find nothing else is as comfortable. I have 4 pairs that I alternate, can walk anywhere in these. Just a word of caution I would only buy the ''real'' thing, cheaper imitations are not as good and don''t give the right support.
Post by: misty on April 04, 2009, 08:45:29 PM
Charlie: the Birkenstocks in the market are fake rubbish......you only have to look at them to see this its nearly as obvious as the Radley bags.
Post by: Charlie on April 04, 2009, 09:35:12 PM
I did say ''Birkinstock''.  As the spelling indicates and for the money paid, well spotted Misty they are fakes, what in the market isn''t?  Fake or not they''re still comfy.   
Post by: Mercimek on April 05, 2009, 06:38:07 AM
Misty- fake they may be but for 25 lira mine have lasted two summers-worn most days, rubbish is a bit strong.
Years ago my real Gucci watched wouldn''t work in the extreme heat, meanwhile the fake one I replaced it with ticked away happily!
Post by: misty on April 05, 2009, 10:29:15 AM
All very well but you are aware of the organised crime that supports counterfit products, everything from child slavery to terrorism not to mention drugs people trafficking, prostitution etc etc ......so next time to put  a watch on or your fake sandals think about that. 
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 06, 2009, 12:37:00 PM
Misty..why do you have to turn everything into an argument ??? ???

Claire, in answer to your original question, it depends how accomplished you are at walking over uneven surfaces and up and down hills which are sometimes slippy. We walk everywhere, and I have everything from free flip flops from magazines to Birkenstocks to wedges. I don''t do sturdy and unattractive yet, I''m hoping to carry on for as long as I can on the flimsy things. The good thing is they are quite light, so pack a pair of birkentsocks, and some flip flops and see how you get on. You can always buy some fake birkies on the market if you find yourself unable to manage with flip flops - if your conscience allows :o :o
Post by: misty on April 06, 2009, 12:40:54 PM
No I don''t  >:D >:D
Post by: Sheez on April 06, 2009, 12:47:56 PM
Flatties in the day / Heels @ night (NEVER COMPROMISE!!)  but as indicated further up the thread it''s the grip that matters ...........
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 06, 2009, 01:00:20 PM
Szimmer...you are my hero!!! I saw a lady last year wearing what appeared to be 3 inch heels...walking past Moonlight, heading down Cardiac Hill. I was mesmerised. I am a heels girl, nothing less than three inches, day in day out, so I always feel vertically challenged when I holiday in Kalkan.
What is your secret?
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 06, 2009, 01:29:51 PM
Why not strap a couple of trays to your feet? you''ll soon get down cardiac hill!! :angel:
Post by: misty on April 06, 2009, 03:33:24 PM
You could race down the hills like Hayley Mills in the Moonspinners.......set in Crete....if anyone remembers that film ?
Post by: Sheez on April 07, 2009, 04:09:17 PM
Kalkan4eva...could have been me  ;)   no secret - just no fear, several G&T''s & big knickers for when the inevitable happens.

Post by: kalkan4eva on April 07, 2009, 06:10:13 PM
I do the G&T''s and big knickers thing, just haven''t mastered the no fear bit. I arrive in Kalkan in super high wedges and they stay in the wardrobe until we get collected for the airport. We are staying a little closer to the centre of Kalkan than ususal this year, so I may venture out to say Moonlight and Sofra one night in something higher than usual....don''t think I would contemplate Cardiac Hill, just yet, though.
Nonetheless, you have inspired me, Szimmer and if it was you I saw..."Way to go" 8) 8)
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 07, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
don''t wear to bigger knickers..a good gust of wind and you could be alongside the paragliders ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal