Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

The Owners Lounge => General Discussion => Topic started by: Wendy on March 21, 2009, 05:19:08 PM

Title: Ultimate Shopping List?
Post by: Wendy on March 21, 2009, 05:19:08 PM
I''ve been a bit slow here but feel free to post anyway as I will be checking in here!
We fly out on Monday 23rd for one week to furnish a 3 bed villa and 1 bed studio.
Any one have a list or ideas on quantities, good ideas, etc? You know 14 sheets, numbers of plates, saucepans etc?
The ultimate shopping list! ???
Title: Re: Ultimate Shopping List?
Post by: DawnT on March 21, 2009, 07:19:33 PM
Hi Wendy

When I furnished our place last April, I done my research on the web.  I basically googled Furniture Packs, and then printed of lists upon lists of items that I needed.  I bought all the crockery from the Thursday market, Kitchenware from Migros in Fethiye and bedding & towels from Dunelm Mill here in the UK.  Our apartment is complete, even down to a garlic press!!!  I know items I probably wouldn''t use but I found it to be better safe than sorry.

Hope this is of some help
Dawn
Post by: Wendy on March 21, 2009, 07:31:36 PM
Cheers Dawn, I hadn''t thought about furniture packs. We are bringing some bedding with us, sheets from ASDA etc.
Post by: DawnT on March 21, 2009, 08:08:03 PM
Can''t remember the site that I used, but did find it really helpful. I personally wouldn''t buy from a furniture pack though, as they can be expensive.  I nearly bought my towels from the market as I just wanted white, but they didn''t have enough, so ended up buying the same towels, in all the sizes and cheaper from Dunelm mill - just cost me about £200 in excess baggage.  Good luck with the shopping, must admit, I did enjoy spending my husbands money and managed to buy a couple of bags as well!!!!
Post by: kevincat99 on March 21, 2009, 11:20:48 PM
Why buy towels in the UK and pay £200 excess when Turkey must be the towel centre of the world and for the 500TL you could have bought maybe 50 bath sheets or 150 hand towels
Post by: turkeyfan on March 22, 2009, 08:02:52 AM
OOh I absolutely loved buying the stuff for our apartment and I just wrote a list myself.

We got loads of stuff in Fethiye - both in the shops and the market as I think its a bit cheaper there.  We bought our sheets in the market - but ended up bringing some others over from M&S because they were''nt quite big enough for the beds. 

Towels - also the Market - even got some that had the Next logo on!

Our apartment only sleeps 4, but I doubled that up for most things - so got 8 bath towels, 8 hand towels, 8 plates, mugs, 8 knives...you get the idea.

I think I still have my original list on my pc at work so will copy it and send it to you.
Post by: Wendy on March 22, 2009, 08:29:10 AM
Cheers girls. I''m defo getting the towels from the market. I''ve used the furniture pack people just for their lists. ;)
Post by: DawnT on March 22, 2009, 11:59:05 AM
Kevincat

Thanks for your comment, but as I explained they didn''t have enough towels at the market or the sizes that I wanted!  Also the £200 excess wasnt just for the towels, it was for other items that I had bought in the UK .

Post by: Rosie on March 22, 2009, 12:28:46 PM
Why don''t you give Osman the tailor on Kalamar Road a try? He''s got 2 shops now, the original one for all the sewing and the smart one with all the towels and bedding.
I got all my towels from there and also had him make up my curtains,which he came and hung for me and he gave me great discounts because I was buying so much. He''s a really nice chap and very helpful. It was certainly cheaper and easier than bringing it all from UK and having to think about excess baggage.
Bedsheets however I brought from UK because the sizes are better and the quality is better, they seem to last longer with all the washing.
I doubled up on sheets and towels so that way I''m never short on changeover days and for occasions when guests spoil them so they can''t be used.
China and glass I bought 2 more of everything i.e. for 8 people I bought 10 in case of breakages. Cutlery was the exact amount. Kitchen equipment, china and glass was all bought in the market. Excellent for replacing items when needed quickly. Although I got it all from the guy that''s just near the entrance by the main road, there is another large stall up near the fruit and veg that seems to be a bit cheaper and sells much the same stuff though less of it.
Everything I bought, I asked for a discount and my bargaining tool was cash!
Good luck and have fun. I loved it!

Post by: Charlie on March 22, 2009, 02:56:35 PM
Agree with Rosie I too used Osman for towels and curtains.  He also measured the beds and made all sheeting and cotton throws to the required size.  The quality is far superior to anything I could buy at home for the same cost and it''s so easy to replace anything when needed.  When at all possible I like to buy from the local shop keepers. 
Post by: Wendy on March 31, 2009, 09:13:26 PM
Well I''ve just got back and have done most of it. Ebo is doing the beds, wardrobes and dressing tables. Iron has been measured for curtain poles. I brought some voile stuff out from Ikea in the UK and a pile of bedding.
Soner and Lea got us the best deals on a pile of stuff in Fethiye, lights, white goods, irons etc (does anyone ever use an iron on holiday??!)
Just need to get a few more bits and pieces and I''m ready for the guests.
Post by: turkeyfan on March 31, 2009, 09:53:27 PM
Well done.

Yes..... I always use an iron on holiday - even if its just to iron OH socks!
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 01, 2009, 10:09:47 AM
WHAT!!! do you iron his pants as well?
Post by: turkeyfan on April 01, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
Only the crotch!  ;)
Post by: Brooksie on April 01, 2009, 10:52:49 AM
Oh No :o
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal