Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Totally Turkey => Talking Turkish => Topic started by: Enjoy Kalkan on February 26, 2009, 07:01:38 PM

Title: Best way of learning
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on February 26, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at various different ways of learning Turkish, from cds, books and the internet - I just wondered which way people have found the best - any good books or sites that you can recommend?

Thanks

Jon
Title: Re: Best way of learning
Post by: Blue Lizard on February 26, 2009, 07:38:53 PM
i used the BBC book and tapes......still have them to refresh with but i will never be fluent...some find it harder than others...me being one of them...enough to be polite and get by with a little pigeon turk and arm signals ;)
Post by: KalkanPosh on February 26, 2009, 08:03:40 PM
Being surrounded by the Turkish family whose English is as limited as my Turkish is the best way I''ve learnt! The problem with Kalkan is that so many Turkish people - especially waiters - speak more or less fluent English, that I get very lazy about trying out Turkish! I need to be able to speak the language and to have my grammar/pronounciation corrected at every opportunity in order to make any real progress - although I can convince myself I''m fluent when I''m parroting to a CD in the privacy of my front room!!!I spent the flight on Sunday from Istanbul to Heathrow sitting next to a young Turkish teacher of English  from Izmir- and had 4 hours free tuition!! :)
Post by: yoyo on February 26, 2009, 08:28:31 PM
I went to evening classes back in the 80''s and did 4 years.  I wanted to learn a language but not ones like Spanish etc that everyone else tended to do.  At this time I''d only been to Turkey once, but I decided on Turkish!! We had a really good teacher who used his own materials.  Since then I''ve boosted my materials with various tapes and books, and a larger version of the little yellow dictionary you can get in Kalkan, which I skim through occasionally.  

If you don''t live in Turkey and are not able to learn "on the go" then I think an evening class is the best way to learn as you can practice along with others, and have a laugh at the same time.
Post by: Ozgur on February 27, 2009, 02:06:17 AM
 Hi from Antakya...
 Hi Jon
 That  may be helpful
 http://www.princeton.edu/~turkish/

Post by: Cruisecontroller on August 01, 2009, 04:03:43 PM
A Turkish person told me to learn a different word every day.  When we visited Kalkan last September we went in a gift shop and found a book called Let's learn some Turkish, i've found it quite useful.  Have a look at website Turkish Language - Turkish Licence Plates, this is also quite good.

Les
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 01, 2009, 04:48:44 PM
Also,

Remember to check the main EnjoyKalkan website and not just bookmark the forum, where a new word is displayed everytime you visit  :)
Post by: itstime on August 01, 2009, 05:33:56 PM
I get so annoyed at my apparent inability to remember even the most basic Turkish phrases. Been going for around 15 years and still struggle like a baby to master even the basics >:( I do try and have bought books and cd's but no matter what I am completely and utterly useless at speaking Turkish. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Wendy on August 01, 2009, 06:00:47 PM
Little yellow stickies on everything in the house with the appropriate word in Turkish thereon.
I also found a translator thing in Lidls which says stuff in Turkish.
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 01, 2009, 06:02:10 PM
Its the pronunciation that gets me  :(
Post by: Kuzu on August 02, 2009, 08:47:01 AM
We went to Turkish Evening classes last year :angel:...it was a beginners course but we still found it hard ???.  However we managed to get to grips with some phrases....we do practice and all the waiters/shopkeepers in Kalkan have great fun with us practicing (laughing at us  :D mainly because of our pronunciation
The following website doesn't have pronunciation, it does have some good "games" to help you remember phrases: ;)
http://www.digitaldialects.com/Turkish.htm
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 02, 2009, 10:01:00 AM
I keep watching the video on the main EK website under talking turkish - i find that helps :)
Post by: fidimax on August 02, 2009, 10:19:46 AM
Thats damn good EK,I didnt know it was there. :)
Post by: Enjoy Kalkan on August 02, 2009, 10:23:43 AM
The main website keeps getting updated.... make sure you dont just go straight to the forum or your missing a lot of what EK has to offer  ;)
Post by: fidimax on August 02, 2009, 10:30:47 AM
 I shall keep my eye on it,thanks,its all coming together,bit by bit.
Post by: shining-one on August 02, 2009, 08:13:42 PM
I found the best way to learn Cantonese when I lived in Hong Kong was to spend my time with children, one they couldn't speak English, two their speech was simple, three they were never embarrassed to correct me when I made a mistake. :) Try it!
Post by: Chucky on August 02, 2009, 08:23:36 PM
So how do we get these children to come to Kalkan? ;D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal